The Wise Man's Grandson Volume 2 Chapter 1

Ren

 Chapter 1 The awards ceremony is a test


“Ugh…”


A few days had passed since my confrontation with Oliver Schtrom, the rational demon, at the guard station. I was in the garden of my home, tilting my head in thought.


Before me were several fist-sized holes in the ground, just the right size for planting flowers.


I was the one who made those holes.


Staring at them, I couldn’t shake a nagging sense of unease.


“What’s with the groaning? Constipated or something?” 


“My bowels are perfectly fine, thank you!”


It was the weekend, and the academy was closed. Aug, the crown prince, along with his guards Thor and Julius, had come to my place.


“So, what were you doing? Digging holes to plant seedlings in the garden?” Aug asked.


“No… take a look at this.”


With that, I activated a certain spell.


A beam of light shot down from the sky, carving a hole into the ground.


“Whoa! What was that?!” Thor exclaimed.


“Shin-dono, please don’t startle us like that,” Julius added.


“What was that? It feels… familiar somehow,” Aug mused.


“You saw it just the other day. At the guard station,” I reminded him.


“Oh! The final spell you used against Schtrom, right?” Thor realized.


“Exactly.”


“Hmm? But back then…” Aug trailed off.


“That’s what’s bothering me.”


I had used the same spell as before, [Concentrated Sunlight], turning sunlight into a thermal beam, though I significantly reduced its power for this test in the garden. The result was these neat holes, perfect for a flowerbed or planting crops.


“Didn’t it cause a huge explosion back then? I thought that’s what blew Schtrom away,” Thor said.


That was precisely why I was troubled.


Normally, a thermal beam like [Concentrated Sunlight] would only create holes, as it had just done. But during that battle, a massive explosion had occurred. I didn’t know if the spell could cause explosions under certain conditions, but my tests in the garden showed no such effect—just holes.


“Could it… really be like that?” I muttered.


“It’s not certain yet. But we should stay cautious,” Aug said.


“Yeah… got it.”


If it was just my imagination, no harm done. Honestly, I hoped that was the case.


“Shin, shouldn’t you get going soon?” Aug prompted.


“Oh, is it already that time?”


Today, we had plans to visit the Bean Workshop, which I hadn’t been able to do earlier due to assisting with interrogations and paperwork. Aug and the others had come to my place for that reason. The plan was to gather at Sicily’s house, walk to the Bean Workshop, finish our errands in the morning, and then have lunch at the Stone Oven Tavern.


“Well, I’m off. No need to prepare lunch for me.”


“Safe travels, Shin-sama!” the household staff called out in unison.


Waving goodbye, I passed through a [Gate] with Aug and the others, arriving at a room prepared for me at Sicily’s house. As we stepped out, Thor spoke up.


“Shin-dono, the staff at your mansion are remarkably skilled, aren’t they?”


“Yeah, they were hired through a public recruitment, but apparently there were so many applicants they held a selection competition. Those who made it through are the best of the best.”


“…I see. A dream team of servants, then,” Thor said.


“Dream team, huh…” I chuckled.


“What’s going on?” 


“What are you guys doing? Hurry up and get out of there!” 


Sicily and Maria burst into the room, likely having overheard our voices. There was no need for a reverse knock.


“We were just saying how impressive Shin-dono’s staff is,” Thor explained.


“Oh, that’s true. They’re always nearby when you need them, and they assist so discreetly,” Sicily agreed.


“Apparently, they’re a dream team that won a servant selection competition,” Thor added.


“Dream team again…” I muttered.


The nobles were praising my household staff. I’d gotten used to their efficiency lately, but I was told it wasn’t something to take for granted.


“Of course they’re impressive,” Aug said. “The head maid, Marika, used to work at the royal palace. She even looked after me when I was a child. The head butler, Steve, was a key figure at the Hague Trading Company, known as Tom Hague’s right-hand man. And Alex, the gatekeeper, was the top disciple of Dominic, the head of the security bureau. Even I was shocked to see such renowned figures gathered in one household.”


What? Really? I hadn’t known they were that impressive until Aug explained it. It really drove home how popular Grandpa and Grandma were.


“And the head chef, Corel, was the head chef at a famous restaurant, wasn’t he?” Aug added.


“Corel-san’s cooking is amazing,” I said.


If Aug knew about it, that restaurant must have been incredibly prestigious. My household was truly a gathering of extraordinary talent.


“You’re eating food like that every day? You’d better not say anything rude at Olivia’s family’s restaurant today. It’s quite famous too, you know,” Maria warned.


“As if I would!” I protested.


Maria’s comment stung a bit. Just how do people see me, anyway?


“You’re going to the Bean Workshop and the Stone Oven Tavern today, right?” 


“That sounds lovely!” 


Sicily’s father, Cecil-san, and her mother, Irene-san, appeared. They were dressed casually, likely because it was the weekend. Cecil-san was as dashing as ever, and Irene-san looked remarkably youthful for someone who’d given birth to Sicily’s two older sisters and brother.


“Everything at the Stone Oven Tavern is delicious, but for lunch, I recommend the sandwiches. They’re lightly toasted, so they’re fragrant, and the melted cheese inside is divine,” Cecil-san said.


“Sicily, if you’re going to the Bean Workshop, could you ask them to send someone to our house for errands? I have a few things I’d like to order. And for lunch at the Stone Oven Tavern, go for the pasta,” Irene-san added.


“No, the sandwiches!” Cecil-san insisted.


“The pasta!” Irene-san countered.


Sparks were flying between the couple! Sicily, do something!


“Well then, shall we get going, everyone?” Sicily said cheerfully.


She completely ignored it!?


“Sicily, is it okay to leave them like that?” I asked.


“It’s fine. They’ll make up soon enough and start spreading a sweet atmosphere before you know it,” she replied.


Is that how it works? I’m a bit jealous—four kids, and they’re still so lovey-dovey.


“Let’s go, then,” I said.


With that, we left Sicily’s house and headed for the Bean Workshop.


On the way, Aug called out to me.


“Shin, when we get to the workshop, order whatever you want to make, no budget limits.”


“I don’t get that much allowance, you know.”


“Don’t worry. The royal family will cover the costs.”


The royal family funding my weapon development? What’s this about?


“After hearing your concerns… I want to be prepared. Right now, Shin, you’re the only one who can fight Schtrom on equal footing. In the worst-case scenario… we’ll have to rely on you again. Make sure your equipment is top-notch.”


The worst-case scenario, huh.


“Alright, I’ll take you up on that offer, then.”


“Good. Please do.”


The worst-case scenario Aug was referring to was probably Schtrom surviving, not having been defeated. I was almost certain he was still alive. But the worst-case scenario I was thinking of was… Schtrom had said he used Kurt as an experimental subject to turn him into a demon. Which means…


This wasn’t just about my weapons. We needed to level up across the board.


For starters, I should work on powering up everyone in the Ultimate Magic Research Society.


“Shin… you’re not planning something shady, are you?” Aug asked suspiciously.


“I just got a chill…” Thor muttered.


“Shin-kun, you had a bit of a mischievous look just now,” Sicily pointed out.


“This is…” Julius began.


“I have a bad feeling about this,” Maria finished.


As I schemed about leveling up the group, everyone seemed to sense something and went on high alert.


Why!? I didn’t say anything out loud!


“I-I’m not planning anything weird, okay?” I stammered.


“…So you are planning something,” Aug said, narrowing his eyes.


How did he know!?


“C-Come on, I’m not planning anything!” I protested.


“Your eyes…” Thor said.


“They’re darting around,” Julius observed.


I wasn’t thinking of anything bad, but now I felt like I was guilty of something. I needed to change the subject and get to the workshop fast.


“L-Look, let’s hurry up! We’ll be late if we keep chatting!”


Did I cover it up?


“…We’ll interrogate him later,” Aug said.


Nope, I failed!


With that exchange, we finally arrived at the Bean Workshop. It had taken a few days since we first planned to come here, so it felt like a bit of an achievement to finally make it.


The Bean Workshop was, as expected of its fame, a large establishment—about the size of a suburban convenience store. It was a three-story building, with the first floor displaying weapons and armor. I wondered what was on the second and third floors. As I studied the shop’s exterior, the door swung open.


“Welcome to the Bean Workshop! We’re thrilled to have you!” 


“Good morning, everyone.”


Mark, the son of the workshop’s owner, and, for some reason, Olivia, the daughter of the nearby diner, stepped out together. Spending even the weekend together, huh? Could this mean…


“Morning, Mark, Olivia. So, why are you two together so early in the morning…?” I began.


“Good morning, Olivia, Mark. Shall we get right to it…?” Aug said with a grin.


“Good morning, Olivia-san, Mark-san. Yes, we’d love to hear the details,” Sicily added.





“Ugh… please go easy on us…” Olivia pleaded.


I was about to question their relationship when Sicily and Maria swooped in, intercepting the conversation. They flanked Olivia and whisked her away.


Oh, and Sicily, what about the errand request?


Aug and the others watched, overwhelmed by the girls’ momentum.


“Sigh… why do women get so noisy when they gather like that?” Aug muttered.


“I, for one, don’t have the courage to jump into that,” Thor admitted.


“Haha… so, Wolford-kun, shall we head to the workshop?” Mark asked.


“Yeah, that’s why we came, after all.”


“I have something to discuss regarding that. Is the workshop master here?” Aug asked.


“Y-Yes! My father… I mean, Father is in the workshop!” Mark replied.


“Then let’s go.”


We headed to the workshop behind the store.


The workshop was a quintessential factory, with several craftsmen hard at work. As a smithy, it was soundproofed, so no noise leaked outside, but inside, the clamor was intense. The heat from the forges was equally overwhelming.


“Wait a moment, please. Father! Faaather!” Mark shouted toward the back.


A man who looked every bit the master craftsman emerged—a grizzled, tough-looking figure.


“What’s with the yelling, you idiot?! I told you to call me ‘Master’ in the workshop!” he roared.


“This is no time for that, Father! Look!” Mark gestured toward us.


The man turned and glared. Scary!


“Sorry to interrupt your busy work. I am August—August von Earlshide. Mark Bean and I are in the same research society at the Advanced Magic Academy,” Aug introduced himself.


“P-Prince A-A-August!?” the man stammered.


His voice echoed through the workshop, and every craftsman turned to look, eyes wide. They stopped their work, approached, and knelt in unison.


“Sorry for interrupting your work. Please continue. I’m here to speak with the workshop master,” Aug said calmly.


“T-To me, Your Highness?” the man asked, flustered.


It was impressive how Aug handled the situation without batting an eye, especially as the tough-looking workshop master shrank in his presence. I rarely saw Aug act so princely.


“We’d like your help developing weapons for my friend here, Shin,” Aug explained.


“This… young man’s weapons?” the master asked.


“My apologies for the late introduction. This is Shin Wolford, grandson of the Sage, Merlin Wolford,” Aug said.


“Hi, I’m Shin Wolford,” I added.


“T-The Sage’s grandson!? The one who defeated those new demons!?” the master exclaimed.


“Exactly. We’re looking to develop his weapons, and the royal family will cover the costs. Will you assist us?” Aug asked.


“Absolutely! Making weapons for the new hero at our workshop? There’s no greater honor!” the master declared, his formal tone slipping in his excitement.


“So, what kind of weapons are we making?” he asked eagerly.


Since Aug was covering the costs and a professional craftsman was offering his expertise, I decided to pitch an idea I’d been wanting to try.


I explained my concept for an improved [Vibration Sword]. The master listened with keen interest, suggesting refinements and shaping the idea into something tangible.


By the end of our discussion, we had a rough framework. As expected of a master craftsman, he worked fast. The next step was to create a prototype and refine it through testing.


Specifically, the design involved adding a spring-loaded slide to the sword’s guard. Sliding the guard would trigger a mechanism in the hilt, releasing the blade. A stopper would prevent the guard from moving during combat. The only downside was that it required two hands to operate, similar to racking the slide on an automatic pistol from my previous world. The blade would be detachable with a one-touch mechanism, hence the spring-loaded slide.


The blade itself would be forged using a mold, sufficient since it would ultimately be enchanted into a magic tool.


Aug seemed like he wanted to say something—probably about adopting the design for the military’s standard equipment. But that would imply tying me to the kingdom, and he likely hesitated out of respect for Grandpa. That was my guess, anyway.


Our discussion with Mark’s father wrapped up around noon. Time to head to Olivia’s family’s restaurant.


“Well, Master, I’ll leave the rest to you,” I said.


“You got it! Come back in three days. It’s mostly hilt work, so we should have a prototype by then,” he replied.


“Got it. Three days, then. Thanks!”


I said goodbye to the master and left the workshop.


By the way, I passed along the errand request for Sicily’s family.


We then headed to the Stone Oven Tavern, which was practically next door. As a popular spot, it was large and bustling with customers, lacking the quiet, upscale atmosphere of a high-end restaurant. The reason reservations were hard to come by was simply the sheer volume of patrons.


As we entered, a waitress approached.


“Oh, Mark-kun! If you’re looking for Olivia-ojousan, she’s in a room with her friends,” she said.


“I know. We finished our business, so we came to join them,” Mark explained.


“Business with… your… friends?” The waitress’s movements slowed as she registered who we were.


“P-P-Prince!?” she blurted out, her voice echoing through the restaurant.


Great, it was the workshop scene all over again.


“Sigh… everyone, please relax. I’m just here with friends to eat at a friend’s restaurant. No need to be so formal,” Aug said.


Even so, the presence of rare royalty kept everyone on edge. As I wondered what to do, the girls we’d parted with earlier emerged from the back.


“Whoa! What’s with this scene!?” Maria exclaimed.


“It’s because Prince August is here, isn’t it?” Sicily said.


“A-August-sama, we’ve prepared a private room. Please, this way,” the waitress stammered.


“Sorry for the trouble,” Aug said.


“No, not at all!”


We settled into the private room, finally able to relax. Being with Aug sure led to a lot of these situations.


“I can guess what you’re thinking, Shin, but starting next week, you’ll be in the same boat,” Aug said with a smirk.


“Next week… oh, the conferment ceremony,” I realized.


“It’s the day after tomorrow, right after the weekend. As royalty, people keep their distance from me. But you’re technically a commoner by status, so expect to be swarmed,” he warned.


“R-Really…?”


“That’s what it means to defeat a demon. Even decades later, look at how Merlin-dono and Melinda-dono are treated. A new demon, a rational one, defeated by the hero’s grandson, Shin. Young, good-looking, and the hero’s heir. You’ll be a national hero in no time,” Aug said, clearly enjoying himself.


Damn it! He’s definitely having fun with this!


“I get the ‘hero’s grandson’ part, but good-looking…?” I muttered.


I’d never paid much attention to my appearance, maybe because I hadn’t interacted much with girls my age growing up. I didn’t know if I was average or handsome. Not ugly, I hoped…


Normally, you’d gauge this from how girls treated you as a kid, but I lacked that experience. At my age now, people don’t give honest opinions on looks. I couldn’t just ask, “How do I look?” 


“He doesn’t even realize…” Maria whispered.


“Ugh… a rival…” Sicily muttered.


“That’s a bit smug, isn’t it?” Olivia added quietly.


Maria, Sicily, and Olivia were whispering among themselves.


“Rival? What’s that about?” I asked.


“N-Nothing!” they chorused.


The conferment ceremony, huh… I was already dreading it.


During lunch, Aug brought up the blade-swapping idea I’d shared with Mark’s father, suggesting I sell it. Since the [Vibration Sword] was a magic tool only I could enchant, making it standard military equipment was problematic. But the blade-swapping concept itself was highly valuable for the military, which prioritized efficiency in demon subjugation. Blades dulled quickly when cutting through demons, so an easily replaceable blade was a game-changer. With high-quality blades, it would be practical, Aug explained passionately.


I’d need to consult Grandma first, though, or she’d have my head for selling it without permission.


Maybe I could ask Harold-san—Mark’s father—for help? Sharing some technical expertise could justify the royal family’s funding and reduce my hesitation. I didn’t want to hold back on development only to regret it when facing Schtrom again.


I considered consulting Uncle Dis about how far to take the development. Since he visited our house often, I didn’t need to ask Aug to pass along a message.


I also asked the girls what they’d been up to while we were at the workshop, but they only said, “We were chatting in Olivia-san’s room,” refusing to share details. A girls’ meeting, huh? Yeah, I wasn’t getting any more out of them.


I reminded Sicily about the errand request, and she apologized profusely, having completely forgotten. Was she that curious about Mark and Olivia’s relationship?


For the record, Sicily ordered the sandwich Cecil-san recommended, and Maria got the pasta Irene-san suggested.


I went with meat. It was insanely delicious.


Sandwiches? Pasta? Those are snacks to me right now.


With our errands done, we decided to stroll around town.


“By the way, Mark, what’s sold on the second and third floors of your shop?” I asked.


“Oh, the second floor has daily necessities, and the third floor has accessories and stuff. Both regular and magic tool accessories,” Mark explained.


“Accessories…” I mused.


That’s it! If I enchant accessories with defensive magic, they could deploy a variety of protective spells. The magic enchanted on our uniforms is highly effective, but it only protects the areas covered by the clothing. Fighting Kurt made that flaw painfully clear—my face felt like it was burning.


Plus, the uniform’s effects vanish when you change clothes. But accessories? They work regardless of what you’re wearing, and if they deploy something like a [Mana Barrier], they can protect the entire body.


“Shin-kun, is something wrong?” Sicily asked.


“Oh, Sicily, is there any accessory you’d like to have?”


“A-A-Accessories!?” she stammered. “Um, well… maybe a ring… but that’s so sudden! Maybe a necklace would be better… or a bracelet, those are nice too… oh, earrings could be cute…”


“Whoa, you want that many?” I teased.


“N-No! That’s not what I meant! I was just… thinking about what might be nice…” she trailed off, flustered.


“Hmm. I was actually thinking that enchanting defensive magic onto accessories might be more effective. So, I was wondering what kind of accessory would be best for that.”


“…Oh, I see…” Sicily’s shoulders slumped.


“Shin… that was cold,” Aug said, shaking his head.


“Building her up just to let her down? You’re a demon,” Thor added.


“Poor Sicily…” Olivia murmured.


“Huh? What?” I blinked, confused.


Oh no! I phrased it all wrong! It sounded like I was offering to buy her an accessory!


“Uh, Sicily?” I ventured.


“…Yes?” she replied, still dejected.


“How about we go back to Mark’s shop one more time?”


“Sure, I guess…” she said softly.


“Alright, everyone else, wait here!”


Our stroll through town was put on hold—this was more important!


We headed back to the Bean Workshop, aiming for the floor I had in mind.


“Shin-kun, isn’t this…?” Sicily began.


“Yup, the accessory section,” I confirmed.


“I-I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to pressure you!” she said, panicking.


“It’s fine, it’s fine. I feel bad for getting your hopes up and then letting you down. And besides…”


“Besides?” she prompted.


“…I want to buy you an accessory, Sicily,” I admitted, my voice softening.


“Hau!” she squeaked, blushing.


Yeah, that’s my real reason, not just an apology.


“I’ll enchant it myself, so we’ll pick a regular one. Which do you like?”


“Um, w-well…” she stammered.


“Excuse me,” I said to the clerk. “Which of these can hold the most enchanted characters?”


“Welcome! Let’s see… these here can hold between eight to twelve characters,” the clerk replied, gesturing to a display.


“Sicily, which one do you like from these?”


“T-These!?” she exclaimed, eyes wide.


As expected, rings seemed to allow the most enchanted characters, likely due to their settings. Most cost between two to five silver coins, though the pricier ones—up to a few gold coins—offered more characters but came with a heftier price tag.


“Um… could you choose for me, Shin-kun?” Sicily asked shyly.


“Huh? You can pick whatever you like, you know.”


“I… I can’t decide…” she admitted, her eyes darting between the options.


She must be overwhelmed by all the choices.


“Alright, let’s see…” I said, scanning the display.


Ignoring price or character limits, I focused on what would suit Sicily best. And then…


“This one,” I decided.


I picked a silver ring with a blue gemstone, perfect for complementing Sicily’s blue hair. It could hold eight characters and cost three silver coins.


“What do you think? I think it’ll look great on you,” I said.


“Wow…!” Sicily’s eyes sparkled as she gazed at the ring.


“We’ll take this one, please,” I told the clerk.


“Certainly. Would you like to wear it now?”


“Yes, please!” Sicily said eagerly.


Phew, she’s back to her cheerful self. Sicily took the ring from the clerk and slipped it onto the middle finger of her right hand.


“Shin-kun… thank you so much!” she said, beaming.


Her smile was adorable as always. I silently renewed my vow to keep her safe from any danger.


“I’m glad you like it. I’ll enchant it with defensive magic later to make sure it protects you.”


“Shin-kun… protecting me…” she murmured, her cheeks pink.


Well, that’s not exactly what I meant, but close enough.


With the ring purchased, we left the shop and rejoined the others.


Maria and Olivia swarmed Sicily, squealing over the ring as she happily showed it off. Yeah, no way I’m getting in the middle of that.


“Buying a ring just like that? Impressive, Shin,” Aug said with a sly grin.


“Just so you know, I’m enchanting defensive accessories for all of you too,” I shot back.


“…After seeing that scene, it feels a bit… underwhelming,” Aug said, glancing at the girls.


“Well, since rings might feel weird for guys, I’ll go with necklaces or bracelets for you lot.”


“…Please do,” Aug agreed.


After that, we wandered the town with no particular goal, window-shopping and grabbing snacks. Hanging out with friends my age, even without a purpose, was just plain fun.


The day passed like that, and after parting with Mark and Olivia, we headed to Sicily’s house.


Once there, I got to work enchanting the defensive magic.


With eight characters to work with, I decided on [Mana Barrier] and [Physical Barrier]. 


They’re simpler than [Absolute Magic Defense], with the image of a “sturdy wall.” It doesn’t need to nullify everything—just block most attacks. My fight with Schtrom made me think [Absolute Magic Defense] was a bit overkill. A [Mana Barrier] was enough to fend off Kurt and Schtrom’s attacks, so it should suffice. The ring projects a spherical barrier around the wearer, protecting the entire body and even nearby allies, making it more versatile.


[Physical Barrier] follows the same concept, just for physical attacks.


I finished enchanting the ring and went to hand it to Sicily… but she held out her right hand, so I slipped it onto her middle finger again, same as before.


Sicily, delighted, activated the ring.


“Wow! This is amazing!” she exclaimed, marveling at the spherical barrier enveloping her.


“That’s impressive. As expected of Guru Melinda-sama’s grandson,” Cecil-san said, nodding approvingly.


“Hehe, Sicily looks so happy,” Irene-san added, smiling at the deployed barrier.


“If you’d like, I can enchant the same magic onto accessories for Cecil-san and Irene-san,” I offered.


“Really? That’d be great!” Cecil-san said.


“Oh, how wonderful!” Irene-san agreed.


This enchantment should be fine, right? It’s a defensive spell other mages can use too.


“The level’s on a whole different scale, though…” Aug muttered under his breath.


After being thanked by the Claude family, I returned home through a [Gate].


Back home, Grandma asked what I’d been up to at the workshop, so I recounted the day’s events. When I mentioned the enchantments on the accessory, she…


“Shin… Shin’s finally learned restraint!” she sobbed.


Come on, no need to cry!


“That’s restraint…?” Aug whispered.


“This family’s sense of normal is on another dimension…” Thor murmured.


“What an incredible family,” Julius added.


More importantly, I realized something critical.


“Hoho,” Grandpa chuckled.


Grandpa’s presence is fading!


The next day, with the conferment ceremony looming, I prepared with Sicily, Aug, and the others at my house. They watched as I tried on formal attire for the occasion.


“Well, you’re tall, well-built, and handsome, so everything looks good on you,” Maria said.


“Shin-kun… you look so cool…” Sicily blushed.


“That kind of thing makes me jealous. I’m too slender,” Aug sighed.


“Your Highness… that’s…” Thor began.


“All we hear is bragging,” Julius finished.


“Shin’s old enough to wear formal attire now…” Grandma said wistfully.


“That little baby has grown so much,” Grandpa added.


While I was turned into a dress-up doll by the maids, my friends and guardians chatted happily on the sofas.


I, on the other hand, was exhausted!


“Marika-san… isn’t this enough?” I pleaded.


“What are you saying, Shin-sama? We cannot allow the new hero of the Wolford family to appear in anything less than perfection!” Marika-san, the head maid, declared, as the other maids nodded vigorously.


Look, I think just wearing formal attire is fine, but…


In the end, I was made to try on various outfits before settling on a light blue suit with a white shirt and a scarf tied at the neck. The jacket was adorned with intricate silver embroidery, tailored to my frame in no time by our high-spec maid team.


Afterward, I asked Maria and Aug’s group about their accessory preferences.


Maria wanted a necklace.


Aug also preferred a necklace, but while Maria chose a delicate, cute chain, Aug wanted a thicker, silver accessory-style one. A blond, princely pretty boy with silver accessories? Yeah, that’ll suit him.


Julius, the physically imposing one, requested a leather bracelet with silver accents. Necklaces might snap in combat, and rings could slip when wielding a sword, he reasoned.


…This guy’s a student at the Advanced Magic Academy, right?


Surprisingly, Thor asked for a chunky silver ring. I’d expected him to pick a slim ring or necklace, given his delicate, almost feminine appearance. A bulky ring with his petite look… is that a purposeful contrast?


With everyone’s preferences decided, I opened a [Gate] to the Bean Workshop, targeting the area behind the shop near the workshop to avoid attention.


I summoned Harold-san, the workshop master, and Aug formally conveyed that the kingdom would fund the project. Grandma had also approved the blade-swapping sword design, as long as it wasn’t enchanted with magic. The kingdom wanted to buy the idea outright, but since a lump-sum payment was hard to quantify, it was decided that ten percent of the kingdom’s payments to the Bean Workshop would go to me as an idea fee.


The concept had come from discussions between me, Mark, and Tony. Since Mark was part of the workshop, he declined his share, so Tony and I would split it.


This had apparently been finalized yesterday, and Tony was already informed. Five percent of the kingdom’s weapon orders—especially for a design meant to be replaceable—meant a steady stream of payments. The sheer amount reportedly made Tony turn pale and collapse.


I get it. We were just casually chatting, and now we’re getting that much money? I was shocked too.


Harold-san was thrilled about the major deal with the kingdom. When I mentioned we were here to pick out accessories, he offered to provide them for free.


He even tried to refund the ring I’d bought for Sicily yesterday, but I declined. I wanted to pay for her gift with my own money.


My own accessories, though? I’ll take those for free.


I mean, the money hasn’t come in yet!


Everyone got their desired accessories, and I enchanted them with defensive magic before we disbanded. The conferment ceremony was tomorrow.


On the day of the ceremony, after classes ended, I skipped research society activities and returned home to prepare. A carriage from the royal palace arrived to pick me up—the same one from the academy entrance ceremony. Comfortable ride, but still awkward!


Grandpa and Grandma were attending as guests, so we went together.


Come to think of it, I’d never been to the royal palace before, even though its residents were always at our house.


An attendant led me to a waiting room, and I waited for my moment.


It was just Uncle Dis, so I wasn’t nervous, but the thought of the hassle afterward made me gloomy.


Finally, the attendant called me, and I was led to the audience chamber.


And then…


“The savior of the nation! The new hero! Shin Wolford-sama has arrived!”


That announcement alone made me want to bolt. But knights had appeared at my sides, blocking any escape!


…Not that I’d actually run.


The knights opened the heavy doors, and a wave of thunderous applause greeted me.


I hadn’t expected such a warm welcome, and I froze for a moment before managing to walk forward.


I stopped at the designated spot as instructed.


“His Majesty, King of the Earlshide Kingdom, Diseum von Earlshide, enters!”


Uncle Dis appeared, and like everyone else, I knelt.


“Be at ease, all of you,” he said.


Everyone stood, but I’d been told to remain kneeling.


“Shin Wolford. Your deeds this time were truly remarkable,” Uncle Dis said.


“I am deeply honored,” I replied.


“In recognition of your achievements, I hereby confer upon you the First-Class Medal.”


“I humbly accept,” I said.


I stood, waiting as Uncle Dis rose from the throne and personally presented the medal.


“Well done,” he said.


“I am deeply honored,” I repeated.


This was so awkward with Uncle Dis! Could this end already? But then he began speaking again.


“Hear me, all present. Shin Wolford is the grandson of my friend, the Sage Merlin Wolford, and someone I have watched over like a nephew since childhood. His presence in this kingdom is solely for his education, as he lacked worldly knowledge, not to bring profit to our nation! When I invited him to the Advanced Magic Academy, I made a promise to the Sage: he would not be used for political or military purposes! Should that promise be broken, the hero’s family will leave this land. Let this never be forgotten!”


…He actually said it. Uncle Dis is seriously cool!


There was some murmuring, but the crowd seemed to accept it.


Phew… is it finally over?


“With that, the medal conferment ceremony concludes.”


Yes, done!


“A reception will now be held in the grand hall. Please join us.”


It’s not over!


The reception after the ceremony was exhausting…


Thanks to Uncle Dis’s declaration, I wasn’t bombarded with excessive solicitations from nobles trying to marry off their daughters or sisters. Still, defeating a demon was a monumental feat in this kingdom, and people swarmed to greet me, showering me with praise.


With Grandpa and Grandma by my side, the crowd grew even larger.


The Claude family, including Sicily, and the Messina family, including Maria, already knew me well, so they kept their distance, watching from afar. I only learned this later since I couldn’t see through the chaos.


Aug’s group didn’t approach either. There were no marriage pitches, but they smirked as I was surrounded by women eager to hear about my exploits. I saw that with my own eyes.


Like Aug had warned, being mobbed by unfamiliar women wasn’t exactly thrilling. It was more bothersome… and honestly, a bit scary. Their eyes were like predators sizing up prey.


There were no overt advances, but the exaggerated squealing every time I spoke felt forced, and it wore me out. I just wanted it to end.


By the time the reception was over and I got home, I was utterly drained.


Even Michel-san’s training hadn’t left me this exhausted.


“Good thing we stayed close. Left alone, one of those women might’ve carried you off,” Grandma teased.


“No way that’d happen…” I groaned.


“I wonder. Could a naive guy like you escape a noblewoman desperate to avoid spinsterhood? Even Merlin back in the day…” she began.


“Can we not talk about that?” Grandpa interjected.


What happened with Grandpa? I’m dying to know, but he changed the subject.


“Shin, you must be exhausted. You’ve got academy tomorrow, so you should rest early,” Grandpa said kindly.


Ignoring his concern felt wrong, and I was tired, so I took his advice.


“Yeah, I’ll take a bath and head to bed.”


“That’s a good idea,” he agreed.


“Grandma, tell me that story another time, okay?” I said with a grin.


“That’s not a good idea!” Grandpa protested.


He was flustered, but I was curious. I’d get the story eventually.


The next day, I went to pick up Sicily and Maria. But when I opened the front door…


“There he is! Shin-sama’s coming out!”


“Kyaa! Shin-sama!”


“That’s the new hero!”


“Not bad. He’s got a good face.”


“Shin-sama! Look over here!”


I quietly closed the door.


“…What’s going on?” I asked.


“Your conferment and the reason for it were announced yesterday, right? But thanks to His Majesty’s consideration, there was no public unveiling, so people flocked to your house,” Maria explained.


“Everyone knows the Sage’s house. They probably just wanted a glimpse,” Sicily added.


“I can’t get to the academy like this… Grandma!”


“What is it?” she called.


“Can I use a [Gate] to go to the classroom?”


“Sigh… fine. But once the commotion dies down, you walk, got it?”


“Yes, ma’am!”


“Shin… why not ask me…?” Grandpa mumbled.


Why? Because Grandma’s scarier when she’s mad.


“Yes! We get to go to the academy the easy way today!” Maria cheered.


“Just for today, Maria,” I warned.


“Come on, let’s go.”


I opened a [Gate] to the classroom and stepped through.


“Whoa! That scared me!” 


“What’s this, Shin? Coming by [Gate]?” 


“What kind of magic is that?” 


“Unbelievable. How does it work, Wolford-kun?”


In the classroom were Yuri, as alluring as ever; Aug’s group; Tony, the former swordsman playboy; and Lynn, the quiet girl obsessed with magic.


“There was a huge crowd outside my house, so I couldn’t leave the normal way,” I explained.


“Oh, so you used a [Gate],” Aug said.


“[Gate]? What’s that, Wolford-kun? Tell me more!” Lynn demanded.


Lynn’s always quick to latch onto anything magic-related.


“It’s a spell called [Gate]. It connects two locations through a portal. You step through, and…”


I dispelled the [Gate] to my house, opened a new one at the edge of the classroom, and stepped through.


“…you come out the other side like this,” I finished.


Lynn, Yuri, and Tony, seeing it for the first time, stared wide-eyed.


“…Amazing! Wolford-kun, you can use teleportation magic!?” Lynn exclaimed.


“Not exactly teleportation. It’s movement magic, though,” I corrected.


“What’s the difference?”


“Teleportation moves an object by breaking it down and reconstructing it at the destination. Thinking about what happens if it doesn’t reconstruct properly… I’ve never dared try it.”


“And this is different?”


“This just shortens the distance between two places. No breaking down or reconstructing.”


“…I don’t get it…” Lynn muttered, disappointed.


If she could understand it, she’d be one step closer to teleportation—or something like it. It’s one of her goals.


“No worries. Even Grandpa couldn’t figure it out,” I reassured her.


“Even the Sage…?” she said, awed.


“You might get it eventually. You’re in the research society, after all.”


“Mm! I’ll work hard!” Lynn said, fired up.


Seeing her enthusiasm, I figured it was time to start leveling everyone up.


“Shin… I forgot to grill you about what you’re plotting,” Aug said suspiciously.


“I’m not plotting anything weird, I swear.”


Leveling everyone up isn’t a weird plot, right?


A training camp with everyone could be fun.


“I’m uneasy… what are you scheming?” Aug pressed.


“I’m not scheming anything weird!”


“Good morning! Huh? What’s with everyone?” 


Alice, the class’s bundle of energy, arrived last, looking puzzled at the group.


◇


 Earlshide Kingdom Military Affairs Bureau


An unsettling report reached the organization overseeing the kingdom’s knights and magic divisions.


“Activity in the Empire?” 


The report detailed the Empire amassing food supplies from its towns and villages.


“Gathering food like that…” 


“There’s also intelligence of movements within their military. This could mean…” 


“…preparations for war?” 


Not a gradual collection, but a frantic stockpiling, coupled with military activity, pointed unmistakably to war preparations.


“But… why now? There’s no clear reason to invade,” one official said.


“That’s unclear. There may be some internal reason in the Empire that makes this an opportune time, but we don’t have details,” another replied.


“Honestly, one problem after another. How do so many issues keep piling up?” 


“Truly.”


The surge in demons, the first demon in decades, and the rational demon Schtrom orchestrating it all from the shadows. Now, signs of war from the Empire. With crises mounting, complaints were inevitable.


“Perhaps… the Empire sees our kingdom’s turmoil as an opportunity to strike,” one suggested.


“True, we’ve had a string of incidents. But the kingdom isn’t in chaos,” another countered.


Aside from the demon surge, each incident had been resolved. There was no internal disorder.


Yet the Empire was mobilizing.


The reason was a mystery, but ignoring it was not an option. The matter was reported to the king.


“What? Is this true?” 


“The Empire’s movements are confirmed. There’s no declaration of war, so we can’t be certain they intend to fight, but…” 


“Given that report, we must assume as much,” King Diseum said. “Dominic!”


“Yes, Your Majesty!” 


“I know you’re busy with the increased demon subjugations, but we must prepare for war. Begin preparations.”


“As you command!”


Thus, the kingdom’s military began gearing up for war.


◇


A Town in the Bluesphere Empire


In a room within a building in the town, a man lay on a bed, wrapped in painful-looking bandages.


A young woman stood before him, delivering a report.


“So, the kingdom has begun war preparations as well,” the man said.


“Yes. The Empire’s military movements were so blatant, they noticed immediately,” she replied.


“Zest-kun seems to have handled it well. Now, what do you think will happen, Miria-san?” 


“…I cannot say, Schtrom-sama.”


The man in the room was none other than Oliver Schtrom, who had narrowly escaped with his life from Shin.


“Everyone, make sure to dance properly, alright? Heh heh heh, hahaha!” 


Despite his severe injuries, Schtrom’s magic was slowly healing him. The woman called Miria tended to him devotedly.


She gazed silently at Schtrom, who continued to laugh maniacally.


Meanwhile, within the imperial palace of the Bluesphere Empire, preparations for war were underway among the imperial military.


“Zest, where did you get that information about Earlshide?” a noble demanded.


“Well, I have a collaborator within the Earlshide Kingdom who informed me that the surge in demons has thrown the nation into chaos. So, I investigated…” Zest began.


“And you noticed that while the demons in the kingdom are increasing, they’re decreasing in the Empire…” the noble finished.


“Exactly,” Zest confirmed.


“Hmm… indeed, the number of demons in our Empire has dropped sharply. This might be the perfect opportunity to seize the kingdom,” the noble mused.


“I hope that comes to pass,” Zest said.


“Hmph, no need for a commoner like you to tell me that,” the noble sneered.


“…Of course,” Zest replied, his tone neutral.


“Don’t worry. We imperial nobles will make good use of your information. Be honored,” the noble said, laughing as he walked away.


Zest, the man so addressed, merely glared at the noble’s retreating back.


◇


After classes ended, during the Ultimate Magic Research Society meeting, Alice brought up the morning’s odd atmosphere.


“Hey, what was going on this morning? The vibe felt kinda weird,” she said.


“Shin’s apparently plotting something, and we were trying to get to the bottom of it,” Aug explained.


“Plotting…?” Alice echoed.


“I’m not plotting anything weird!” I protested.


“Then what are you plotting?” Aug pressed.


Everyone’s eyes turned to me.


“Look, we’ve had a string of abnormal incidents lately, right? We’ve managed to handle them, but there’s still a chance something else could happen. I’m just thinking it’d be good to prepare by leveling everyone up,” I explained, trying to avoid further misunderstandings.


“I see, leveling everyone up,” Aug said, nodding.


“Exactly. Nothing weird about that, right?”


“Fair enough. But… Shin, what exactly does this ‘leveling up’ entail?” Aug asked cautiously.


“Getting everyone to a point where they can use a decent level of attack and defense magic, plus enchanting those defensive accessories,” I outlined.


I shared the broad plan for now.


“…Alright, that doesn’t sound like anything strange,” Aug conceded.


“See?” I said, relieved.


Just then, Lynn spoke up.


“Wolford-kun, are you going to teach us [Gate] too?” she asked eagerly.


“So, Lynn, you want to learn [Gate]?” I confirmed.


“Yes. It’s an incredible spell. It greatly increases survival odds and makes movement so much easier,” she said, her eyes shining.


“[Gate]? What’s that?” Alice asked, having missed the morning’s events.


For Alice’s sake, I demonstrated the [Gate] spell again.


“Whoa, whoa, that’s amazing! I’d never be late again with this!” Alice exclaimed.


Don’t try to learn it for such impure reasons!


Motives aside, it was clear everyone was enthusiastic about leveling up. So, I decided to check how well they could control their magic.


“Magic control? Why do we need to check that?” Aug asked.


“Well…”


When I mentioned wanting to assess their magic control capacity, Aug looked puzzled and asked why. 


To use magic, you need to control the corresponding amount of mana, right? Don’t they know this?


I asked the group, and…


“Huh? Isn’t chanting what you need for advanced magic?” Maria said.


“That’s the common understanding,” Aug agreed.


“Isn’t it?” Thor added.


Maria, Aug, and Thor turned the question back on me.


To use magic, you need mana as fuel. Bigger spells require controlling larger amounts of mana. That’s obvious to me, but apparently not to them.


They believed that powerful magic relied on refining chants and forming the right “image.”


Putting aside our differing views on magic, I had them deploy a [Mana Barrier] to gauge their current control.


“Nope, too thin. This won’t block much magic at all,” I critiqued.


“But isn’t a [Mana Barrier] supposed to have low defensive power to begin with?” Aug countered.


“Are you serious?” I asked, incredulous.


“What do you mean?” he replied.


We needed to rethink their understanding from the ground up.


“Remember when Schtrom blocked my first attack at the guard station?” I asked.


“Yeah, that was an enhanced version of the spell you used in our first class. I didn’t expect it to be blocked…” Aug recalled.


“That was blocked by a [Mana Barrier],” I revealed.


“What!?” Aug exclaimed.


“No way…” Maria gasped.


“A [Mana Barrier] is just a basic defensive spell that creates a wall of pure mana, right?” Alice said.


“I thought it was some special defensive spell…” Sicily admitted.


“With that much mana at his disposal, I knew a [Mana Barrier] could block it. That’s why I moved to flank Schtrom right after firing the spell,” I explained.


That spell was mostly a diversion to throw him off.


“If you have enough mana, a [Mana Barrier] alone can block most magic without needing special defensive spells. Sicily, could you activate the defensive magic on your accessory?” I asked.


“O-Okay,” she agreed.


Sicily channeled mana into the ring.


“Wow! What an incredible [Mana Barrier]!” Alice exclaimed.


“It’s double-layered? Oh, it’s got a [Physical Barrier] too!” Maria noted.


“I didn’t even notice until you pointed it out… the controlled mana is impressive,” Aug said.


“Sicily, are you using a lot of mana for that?” I asked.


“No… just the amount needed to activate it,” she replied.


“That ring has my mana control image enchanted into it. The spell gathers the necessary mana based on that image to deploy the [Mana Barrier] and [Physical Barrier],” I explained.


Everyone stared at the barrier in awe. Hopefully, they now understood the importance of mana control.


“Images are important, sure. But without enough mana to manifest that image, the spell won’t activate, right?” I continued.


They listened silently, hanging on my words.


“So, let’s start by training mana control. [Gate] and other spells come after that.”


They looked serious now. But why didn’t they know this already?


“Shin, how do you know all this?” Aug asked.


“How? Since I was little, Grandpa drilled into me that mana control is essential for magic. No matter how good your image is, you can’t cast a spell without controlling enough mana. He told me to focus on mastering mana control,” I explained.


“I see… that’s the secret to the Sage’s greatness,” Aug murmured.


“But… how do you cast magic without controlling mana?” I asked, genuinely curious.


“We can control mana to some extent. But when it comes to advanced magic, we tend to focus on refining chants. Plus… mana control training is kinda dull…” Aug admitted.


Everyone looked down, sheepish.


“You all feel the same?” I asked.


“…Once I could use magic decently, I focused on chanting…” Maria confessed.


“Me too… even though mana being essential for magic is the most basic principle…” Sicily added.


“Shin-kun, do you always practice mana control?” Sicily asked.


“Yeah, I’ve done it every day since I was a kid. It’s second nature now,” I said.


I demonstrated, gathering and controlling mana.


The room filled with dense mana, creating a palpable presence.


“!!”


“This is…” 


“Incredible…” 


“No matter what spell you’re casting, it’s pointless if you can’t control mana,” I said, dispersing the gathered mana.


“So, starting today, we’re doing daily mana control training. No slacking, got it?”


“Got it. I’ll work hard,” Aug said.


“…Lynn, don’t let your mana go wild,” I warned.


“I won’t!” she insisted.


“Also, our goal is to cast spells without chanting,” I added.


“What!?”


“No complaints. This is the Ultimate Magic Research Society, right? If we can’t do that much, what’s the point?”


“Alright, I’ll do my best,” Aug said.


“…Lynn, seriously, no explosions,” I repeated.


“I said I won’t!” she huffed.


Why do I keep picturing Lynn as a runaway magic girl?


We spent the day practicing mana control and had everyone deploy a [Mana Barrier] again at the end.


“…Is it just me, or…?” Aug muttered.


“It’s not just you. The barrier’s slightly thicker than before,” Maria confirmed.


Looks like Maria felt the difference.


“Keep practicing mana control at home. Once you improve, we’ll move on to spell practice,” I instructed.


In the end, we just reviewed the basics, and the day’s research society meeting concluded.


But everyone’s faces were brimming with motivation.


With a clear path to leveling up, we left the school building in high spirits.


“Hey! There they are!”


“Shin-sama!”


“Look this way!”


“Wolford-kun! A word, please!”


…We all turned back to the school building.


“Oh, I forgot…” Alice groaned.


“Hold on, the crowd wasn’t at my gate. How’d they know I was at the academy?” I wondered.


“They probably assumed you slipped out the back. So they staked out the academy instead,” Aug suggested.


“That’s some dedication…” Maria said.


“But with a crowd like that, we can’t leave!” I complained.


“No choice. Guess we use this again…” I sighed.


No helping it, right?


I opened a [Gate] to my house, and we all stepped through.


“Oh, welcome back, Shin. Using [Gate] again?” Grandpa said.


“Welcome home, Shin. What’s with all the friends? Something happen?” Grandma asked.


“I’m back, Grandpa, Grandma. The front gate was swarmed with people, so we couldn’t leave. I brought everyone here,” I explained.


“Such a fuss!” Maria grumbled.


“Hoho, it’ll die down eventually,” Grandpa said.


Will it, though?


“By the way, I see some new faces. Care to introduce them?” Grandma asked.


“Oh, the ones who haven’t been here before are…”


“I’m Alice! Alice Corner!” 


“Lynn Hughes. It’s an honor to meet you.”


“Nice to meet you, I’m Tony Freid.”


“Yuri Carlton, at your service~”


“M-Mark Bean, ssu!”


“O-Olivia Stone!” 


They introduced themselves before I could.


“I’ve heard of a few of you. Especially you, Mark-kun,” Grandma said.


“Y-Yes!” Mark replied nervously.


“Your workshop’s been put through a lot because of us… I’m sorry about that,” Grandma said.


“N-No way! Please, raise your head! My dad was thrilled about landing a big contract, ssu!” Mark protested.


“Even so, our grandson caused you trouble. Let us apologize,” Grandpa added.


“Really, please stop!” Mark yelped.


Grandpa and Grandma were bowing, and Mark was practically screaming.


“Grandpa, Grandma, ease up. You’re freaking Mark out,” I said.


“Whose fault is that!?” Grandma snapped.


She was not happy.


“A-Anyway, I have a question for you two. Is that okay?” I asked, changing the subject.


“Sigh… what is it?” Grandma said.


“Is something wrong?” Grandpa asked.


“I found out today that… magic practice doesn’t mean mana control practice?” I said.


Grandpa’s face turned somber.


“It’s a sad state of affairs. Once people can use magic decently, they chase flashy techniques. They think magic practice is about elaborate chants and imaging. That’s why the level of mages has been declining year by year,” Grandpa said, sighing with disappointment.


Everyone looked chastened.


“Half of that’s your fault, you know,” Grandma interjected.


“Mine!?” Grandpa exclaimed, shocked.


“What do you mean, Grandma?” I asked.


“Well, Merlin was casting spells left and right without chanting, so everyone got enamored with his magic. They wanted to use it but couldn’t because it was too advanced. Then someone who’d seen Merlin’s magic up close tried imaging it with a chant… and by chance, it worked. Since then, it’s become the trend to refine chants to cast all sorts of spells,” Grandma explained.


“That’s true… we thought the same,” Sicily admitted.


“That’s not my fault!” Grandpa protested.


“You’re the root cause. I told you to show some restraint, didn’t I? Look, because of you, Shin’s turned out like this,” Grandma said, pointing at me.


“Whoa, why am I getting dragged into this!?” I yelped.


“Shin-kun’s lack of restraint comes from his grandfather, doesn’t it?” Sicily said.


“Even you, Sicily!?” I gasped.


Somehow, I became the target.


“Anyway, the most important thing in magic is mana control. Imaging is crucial too, but chants? They’re not even necessary,” Grandpa declared.


“What!?”


“Look at Shin. Have you ever seen him chant?” Grandpa asked.


“Now that you mention it, never…” Aug said.


“Well, his imaging is a bit… unique,” Grandpa added.


“What do you mean, Sage-sama?” Aug asked.


“Shin doesn’t image the ‘result’ of a spell but the ‘process.’ Do you know why fire burns?” Grandpa asked.


“When you put it like that… I can’t answer clearly,” Aug replied.


“I don’t fully understand it either. But Shin questions it. What is fire? Why does it burn? He must’ve observed it closely. The result? You’ve seen Shin’s fire magic, haven’t you?” Grandpa said.


“It was a bluish-white flame,” Maria recalled.


“Exactly. That flame is so hot, it turned the ground it hit into molten lava,” Grandpa said.


Everyone looked at me with awe, but it felt like I was being praised for cheating. Awkward.


“Shin’s imaging is unique, but both Melinda and I can cast without chanting. In battle, there’s no time to chant, and a chanted spell can be easily countered if the enemy knows what’s coming,” Grandpa explained.


“So that’s why you told us to learn chantless casting…” Aug said.


“So, you all heard about mana control from Shin, right?” Grandpa asked.


“Yes!” everyone replied.


“Good. Focus on increasing the amount of mana you can control. That’ll let you cast spells as you imagine them. Like this,” Grandpa said.


Whoa! Grandpa opened a [Gate]!


“Grandpa! That’s…!”


“Hoho, it was tough, but your written explanation finally helped me understand it,” Grandpa said.


As expected of Grandpa—his curiosity and drive haven’t dimmed with age!


“Shin’s magic isn’t exclusive to him. If you can control mana and image properly, you can all use it. Shin may be exceptional, but he’s not unfair,” Grandpa said.


“Yes, we understand!” everyone replied.


Grandpa’s words carried way more weight than mine. Life experience, I guess? Everyone’s motivation was at its peak, itching to practice.


“Thanks, Grandpa,” I said.


“Hoho, no problem… I felt a bit responsible…” he admitted.


…Maybe I didn’t need to know that.


◇


“Merlin, you do something good every now and then,” Melinda said.


“What’s that ‘every now and then’ supposed to mean?” Merlin retorted.


After the research society members headed home and Shin went to drop off Sicily and Maria, the living room was empty. Melinda spoke to Merlin.


“You learned [Gate] for Shin’s sake, didn’t you?” she said.


“…What’re you talking about?” he deflected.


“Shin’s always called overpowered or absurd whenever he uses magic, right?” she pressed.


“He did mention that,” Merlin admitted.


“But if you can use his magic, it proves Shin isn’t so special,” she said.


“…”


“Hehe, it worked out, didn’t it? Everyone’s eyes were sparkling, thinking they could use magic like Shin’s. He won’t feel isolated,” Melinda said.


“…Is that so?” Merlin asked.


“Yep,” Melinda said, chuckling.


Melinda was in high spirits, while Merlin looked a bit sheepish, his thoughts laid bare.


◇


The next day, it seemed everyone had diligently practiced mana control at home. Their controllable mana had increased, even if just slightly.


One thing caught my attention, though: Lynn was wearing a headband.


Her short bob was usually left loose, but today…


I stared at her, and she quickly looked away.


“Lynn… you…” I began.


“…Don’t say it…” she muttered.


…She let her mana go wild, didn’t she?


Her magic must’ve exploded, messing up her hair, so she wore the headband to cover it.


“Lynn, you okay?” I asked.


“It happens all the time. No problem,” she said nonchalantly.


“All the time? Don’t your family get mad?” I pressed.


“My dad’s a court mage. We have a magic training room at home that can handle explosions,” she explained.


“So that’s how the runaway magic girl was born…” I muttered.


She’s been casting magic freely and letting it go wild all this time, unfazed.


“That’s cool. I’ll call myself ‘Runaway Magic Girl’ from now on,” she declared.


“I wasn’t complimenting you!” I retorted.


Is this her sense of style, like the research society’s name?


After classes, we wrapped up the research society meeting. Today’s session was just mana control practice, so I’ll skip the details.


As expected, a crowd was gathered at the main gate. Everyone slipped through the side of the crowd before it caused a scene and headed out.


I went alone to the back gate. A few people were there, but I deployed [Optical Camouflage] and passed by unnoticed, rejoining the others who’d left through the main gate.


“Should’ve done this yesterday,” Alice said.


“Nah, yesterday they’d already spotted me and made a fuss. This trick only works when no one’s noticed, like today,” I explained.


Since I’d used [Gate] yesterday and this morning, it felt like forever since I’d walked through town.


The town felt… off. People were talking with anxious expressions.


“Something’s weird about the town, isn’t it?” I said.


“Oh, right, Shin-kun hasn’t been out much lately, so you wouldn’t know,” Maria said.


“Did something happen?” I asked.


“Yeah, the military…” she began.


“The military?” I echoed.


“They’ve started preparing for war,” 


War preparations.


Hearing those words from Alice, I looked around again. The townspeople were huddled together, discussing what would happen next and why war was suddenly looming, their faces filled with unease.


“War preparations… with who? I thought war’s been taboo since the last one with the Empire, when that massive demon outbreak happened,” I said.


“The Empire’s the opponent,” Aug said.


“The Empire? Why?” I asked.


“Ask them. Apparently, the Empire’s preparing a massive military campaign. It’s too large-scale for targeting smaller nations, so the target must be…” Aug trailed off.


“A major power. The Earlshide Kingdom,” I finished.


The Empire was gearing up for war. Why? For what reason?


No, the reason’s obvious. If the Bluesphere Empire conquers the Earlshide Kingdom, their power would skyrocket—enough to dominate the world. But why now? The timing’s a mystery.


“Well, it hasn’t started yet. If the war drags on, students might get conscripted, but for now, there’s no point worrying. Especially you, Shin—you probably won’t be conscripted,” Aug said.


“Why… oh, the ‘no military use’ thing,” I realized.


“Exactly. A demon attack is one thing, but deploying you in a war between nations would be blatant military use. They’d never do that,” Aug said.


I glanced at Sicily and the others. They all looked anxious.


“Even if I’m not conscripted, if danger threatens any of you, I’m heading to the battlefield. Everyone I’ve met here is irreplaceable,” I said.


“Shin-kun…” Sicily murmured.


“Shin…” Maria said softly.


The mood got heavy, but dwelling on something that hasn’t happened yet was pointless.


“Alright! Let’s head to Mark’s place. He said the weapon prototype’s ready today, right?” I suggested.


“…Yeah, that’s today. Let’s go,” Aug agreed.


“While we’re there, let’s get accessories for everyone and enchant them with defensive magic. So you can protect yourselves if war breaks out,” I added.


We slipped into a quiet alley and opened a [Gate]. Stepping through, we arrived at the Bean Workshop.


“So convenient. I want to learn it soon,” Lynn said.


“…Lynn, first you need to stop letting your mana explode,” I warned.


“…I’ll try,” she said.


Inside the workshop, Harold-san was waiting.


“Hey, Shin! Finally here! The prototype’s ready!” he announced.


“Wow, as expected of a pro. That was fast!” I said.


“Damn right! Oh, Prince, want to take a look?” he asked Aug.


“Of course. Show me,” Aug said.


Harold-san presented a sword that looked ordinary at first glance, but the guard and hilt were unique—resembling a pistol grip. The guard had a ridge for sliding it easily, with a thumb-operated safety to prevent the sword from slipping out accidentally.


“This is amazing, Harold-san! It’s practically finished!” I said.


“Nah, we still gotta tweak it. The spring strength for ejecting and attaching the blade, the slide’s resistance… it’s all about fine-tuning the springs,” he explained.


“Right, but with it this far along…” I said.


“Yup! Just some adjustments, and it’ll be done in no time!” Harold-san said, grinning confidently.


So cool. A true craftsman.


“This is incredible. I’m witnessing the development of a new Bean Workshop product,” Tony said, awed.


“What’re you talking about, Tony? This started with your idea,” I reminded him.


Tony had suggested a detachable, vibrating blade that was easy to swap, which led to this new weapon.


“Oh, you’re Tony-kun? Man, thanks to you, I got to work on something fun! Appreciate it!” Harold-san said.


“N-No, it’s nothing…” Tony said, overwhelmed.


Tony looked emotional. Who’d have thought, right?


“Let’s start the adjustments. I’d also like to see the military blade,” Aug said.


“That’s ready too,” Harold-san replied.


The blade for military use was already prepared. Thicker than the [Vibration Sword], it was designed not to break easily, though durability was balanced with production efficiency.


“This… it’s more than practical. Harold, excellent work. My thanks,” Aug said.


“N-No, please, Prince! It’s just my job!” Harold-san protested.


We adjusted the spring strengths, and the new weapon took shape.


Tuning like this is so much fun. All the guys pitched in. The girls, looking bored, went to browse accessories.


In the end, we settled on baseline spring strengths with room for personal customization, and the weapon was complete.


My sword’s called the [Vibration Sword], but what about the military version? Since it’s swappable…


“Exchange Sword…” I muttered.


“…That’s good. Alright! From today, this sword is the [Exchange Sword]! Harold, sorry to rush you, but can we place an order?” Aug said.


“Of course, Prince!” Harold-san replied.


“I’ll send a military supply officer later to discuss quantities and details. This war will be its debut. I’m counting on you,” Aug said.


“Yes, sir!” Harold-san saluted.


With the military sword named, I enchanted my new [Vibration Sword] and grabbed a few spare blades.


“Sorry, Harold-san, I ended up taking everything,” I said.


“Don’t worry, Prince asked me to bill the kingdom, so you’re good,” he said.


“Aug, thanks, man,” I said.


“No problem. Getting a reliable weapon for the war is a win for us,” Aug replied.


Its debut being a war makes me a bit nervous, but it looks solid.


The accessories were a gift from the Bean Workshop.


Everyone was hesitant, but Harold-san laughed it off, saying the military contract was massive, so it was no big deal.


Now, every member of the research society had a defensive-magic-enchanted accessory.


That takes a lot of worry off my shoulders.


◇


One day, the Earlshide Kingdom’s military received a new weapon.


The sword’s design was unlike anything seen before.


Soldiers who picked it up shared their thoughts.


“Hey, tried the new sword yet?” 


“Yeah, the edge is solid. But this… it’s purely a combat weapon,” one said.


“No decorations, just swap the blade when it dulls. Purely practical…” another noted.


“Being able to change blades on the battlefield is useful, but…” 


“…getting gear like this makes the war feel real,” a soldier said.


Equipped with a weapon designed for efficient killing, the soldiers felt a mix of excitement from wielding a powerful tool and tension from the looming war.


With the new weapons distributed, supplies gathered, troops summoned from territories (leaving only the minimum needed for demon control), and volunteer recruitment complete, the kingdom was ready to mobilize at any moment.


Then, a report came from a spy embedded in the Empire.


“Report! The Bluesphere Empire’s army has begun advancing toward our kingdom!”


Tension rippled through the palace’s upper ranks, but as it was anticipated, there was no panic. King Diseum issued his decree.


“You’ve all heard. It seems the Empire lacks the sense to seize the right moment. Against such foolish aggression, our kingdom will resist with full force! Show the Empire the strength of Earlshide! All forces, deploy!” 


The Empire had made its move.


The kingdom responded. No formal declaration of war had arrived, marking this as a unilateral act of aggression by the Empire. The kingdom appealed to neighboring nations to justify its military response.


The mobilization was announced to the Earlshide populace.


◇


“The kingdom’s army has finally mobilized, huh,” Alice said as I arrived at the academy.


“Yeah, the town’s buzzing with the news,” I replied.


With the kingdom’s announcement and newspaper extras, everyone knew.


As the war fervor grew, the commotion around me had died down, letting me walk to the academy and observe the town’s mood.


“How big is the mobilization?” Maria asked.


“Both the Empire and kingdom have about 80,000 troops each,” Aug answered.


“Hmm, so the forces are pretty even,” I said.


“But that’s what’s strange,” Aug said.


“Strange?” I asked.


“Your comment about even forces. From what we know, the Empire’s total force is 80,000,” Aug explained.


“A total war? The Empire’s desperate,” I said.


“That’s not it. Our kingdom had to recruit volunteers and even hire mercenaries from the Demon Hunter Association to barely reach that number,” Aug said.


“Wow, the Empire’s really focused on its military,” I said.


“No, the kingdom’s military has roughly the same number of troops,” Aug corrected.


“Then why hire volunteers and mercenaries?” I asked.


“We didn’t summon the entire army. We left enough personnel for demon control in each region. The volunteers and mercenaries filled the gap,” Aug explained.


Oh, right, demon control! Wait, then…


“But the Empire’s using its full army, right? What about their demon control?” I asked.


“That’s what’s odd. The Empire’s ignoring demons to march on us. Why?” Aug said.


“Maybe they hired mercenaries?” I suggested.


“We’ve confirmed the Empire hasn’t recruited mercenaries or summoned all regional troops,” Aug said.


“They’re seriously ignoring demons?” I said, stunned.


“What’s the Empire thinking?” Aug wondered aloud.


Aug’s serious expression silenced everyone.


“Look, speculating here won’t help. Let’s focus on what we can do. We’ll figure out the Empire’s motives eventually,” I said.


“…Yeah, let’s do what we can,” Aug agreed.


“So, I was thinking it’s time to start practical magic training. What do you think?” I proposed.


“Finally teaching us [Gate]?” Lynn asked eagerly.


“Yeah, that’s part of it,” I said.


“Our mana control’s been improving, and lately, my spells are getting stronger!” Alice said.


Everyone’s mana control had progressed enough to start spell practice. Grandpa’s [Gate] demonstration had fired them up, showing my magic was within reach, so they’d been diligently practicing mana control. They seemed ready to learn spells.


“Alright, let’s make today’s research society count!” Alice cheered.


“Classes first, Corner,” Aug reminded her.


“Oh! Right,” she said, deflating.


“You lot… what are you even here for…?” Professor Alfred sighed.


We’re attending classes properly, I swear!


——.


Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment