The World of Ash is Colored by God's Eyes ~Only I can see the status, and I'll rise from the weakest to the strongest~ Volume 1 Chapter 7

Ren

Chapter 7 ▼ The Lady’s Escort


“She doesn’t need an escort, does she? Someone like that could take out anything with one hit. One flick to my forehead, and I’d probably go flying who-knows-where.”


S-rank adventurers were beyond human comprehension.


Monsters capable of destroying entire nations single-handedly.


Bullets aimed at their eyes would just bounce off; nuclear weapons would be laughed at.


How could one of Japan’s rarest monsters possibly need an escort? What a joke.


Would an elephant attacked by a rat need protection?


No way—the rat wouldn’t stand a chance.


“Well… the thing is, she can’t fight. To be precise, she has no strength.”


“…What does that mean?”


I frowned at Tanaka-san’s words.


An S-rank magic power level but unable to fight—what was going on?


“No one knows. After measuring her magic power, it’s confirmed she has an immense amount, but her physical strength is no different from an ordinary person’s. The reason’s a mystery.”


“That’s…”


“So I’d like you to take a look at her. Maybe those eyes of yours can figure out why.”


“I get it. That’s the real goal here, isn’t it?”


“Heh, sharp as ever. I like that.”


I accepted the request.


I was genuinely curious. Having that much magic power yet being weak—it made no sense.


An S-rank, a godlike existence, being on par with a normal person? It had to be some kind of cosmic prank.


I asked about the schedule next. The day I’d enter the dungeon with the president’s granddaughter was set for this Saturday.


Until then, I kept up my usual routine—using my illusion skill to quietly clear D-rank dungeons.


---


~The Lady’s Escort Day. Saturday. Daytime.


I was getting ready to head to the meeting point—a C-rank dungeon cube in central Tokyo.


Since I left early, I stopped by to tame my messy hair with a quick trim and tidied myself up before setting out.


“Much fresher. My build’s gotten sturdier thanks to the magic power too. Not bad.”


Didn’t look half bad cleaned up, huh? I caught my reflection in a shop window.


Oh, who was I kidding? I shook off the self-flattery and headed to the rendezvous.


“Ten minutes ‘til the meetup. That’s it, right? C-rank… aka the Sakura Cube. The pink’s pretty nice…”


Today’s dungeon sat nestled between bustling buildings.


Barricades surrounded the cube, guarded by a group of black-suited folks who looked like Dungeon Association staff.


They must’ve been roasting in this heat, but that was the Association’s official uniform—no choice for these combat-ready civil servants.


They were likely here specifically to protect Ryuenji Aya-san today.


I made my way to the gathering spot for adventurers.


“Oh? You must be the famous Ash! Hey there! I’m Masuda, today’s team leader.”


“Nice to meet you.”


I shook hands with Masuda-san. His dazzling white teeth—probably whitened—flashed in a friendly grin.


He was a B-rank adventurer from Avalon and our captain for the day.


Carrying a massive sword and sporting a tall, imposing frame, he looked strong and approachable.


Late twenties, maybe? With dyed hair, he had the vibe of a cool big brother.


I exchanged greetings with the other C-rank adventurers too.


I’d seen a few of them at headquarters, but this was my first time chatting with them.


Everyone was easygoing—typical of Avalon, a guild that valued character as much as skill.


“By the way, this is one weird gig, huh? Escorting the president’s granddaughter. Basically, me and Mizuguchi here will handle the fighting, while the rest of you stick close to the lady for protection.”


“Got it.”


The plan was simple. B-rank Masuda and upper C-rank Mizuguchi would take on the dungeon, while the other three of us guarded the granddaughter.


I wanted to fight some monsters myself, but this trip was about scoping out the C-rank dungeon and getting a feel for it, so I’d have to hold back.


We reviewed the internal map and held a strategy meeting.


After about thirty minutes of planning, as we waited on-site, she arrived.


A stretch limousine—the kind where the longer the car, the higher the status—rolled up.


For a car that long to navigate Japan’s narrow streets, the driver had to be insanely skilled—probably someone who’d preach the Initial D “fastest on the highway” theory.


A thick-lipped driver stepped out and opened the door, revealing a woman.


Her black hair flowed down to her waist, impeccably maintained and silky smooth.


A pair of elegant, likely expensive red earrings dangled seductively from her ears.


Her makeup was minimal and natural.


Yet, perhaps due to her innate beauty, her gaze was fierce and commanding, making me instinctively look away.


She wore practical, movement-friendly clothes—all black.


Did she have a thing for black? Though that outfit was probably high-grade magic-infused gear.


Amid her sea of black, a ruby necklace stood out around her neck—a magic stone, no doubt.

“She’s even prettier in person…”





I couldn’t help but stare, mesmerized.


This was what they meant by “grace personified”—she walked with the poise of a model.


Though she carried a hint of aristocratic arrogance too.


Arms crossed, she struck a haughty pose, sizing us up with piercing eyes.


She was every bit the noble lady—or queen—raised from birth to stand above others, yet her demeanor didn’t grate.


Pathetically, I found myself a little thrilled. Compared to her natural regal aura, my servile tendencies were probably ingrained.


“…Greetings, everyone. I’m Ryuenji Aya. Thank you for indulging my selfishness and joining me today. Let’s get moving—time waits for no one.”


With a single glance, the girl instantly took command, striding toward the cube.


From behind, I checked Ryuenji-san Aya’s status.


And then I understood—why she had godlike magic power yet only human-level strength.


“…So that’s your status, huh.”


---


Name: Ryuenji Aya  

Condition: Good  

Class: Artisan [Awakened]  

Skill: Craft Creation Lv1  

Magic Power: 325,040  

Attack Power: Reflectivity ▼0% = 0  

Defense Power: Reflectivity ▼0% = 0 + 2,000  

Speed: Reflectivity ▼0% = 0  

Intelligence: Reflectivity ▼200% = 650,080  


Equipment:  

· Black Dragon Feather Garment: Defense +2,000  

· Red Dragon Eye Gem (Unrefined)  


---


She seemed to have a unique class.


Her reflectivity for everything except intelligence was 0, so she couldn’t fight.


Among all of Avalon’s adventurers, not a single one was an Artisan.


Judging by the name, it sounded like a crafting role—maybe like a weaponsmith? There were a decent number of those in Tanaka-san’s guild.


They made equipment imbued with magic power.


So what exactly was an Artisan?


And that [Awakened] tag next to her class—did it mean something beyond Advanced?


So many unfamiliar terms.


I focused on the Artisan class again, hoping the details might give me a clue.


---


Attribute: Class  

Name: Artisan  

Effect: A class capable of crafting equipment that affects magic power reflectivity.  

Crafting Method: Cannot be viewed with current access level.  


---


Attribute: Skill  

Name: Craft Creation Lv1  

Effect: Allows crafting of equipment that affects magic power reflectivity. Quality depends on level and intelligence. Level increases with number of items crafted.  


---


“Hmm, still kinda confusing. But 650,000 intelligence? That’s monstrous.”


Even after reading the skill description, I wasn’t totally clear.


From the literal meaning, it seemed she could craft gear that altered magic power reflectivity—the percentage at which magic power converts to attack, defense, or other stats.


As I dazedly analyzed Aya-san, the fast-walking lady called out to me.


“You’re Tenchi-san, right? Could you please hurry up? I don’t want to waste time.”


“Oh, s-sorry!”


I apologized and jogged over.


(She’s terrifying… Same age as me? Really?)


The lady seemed uninterested in me, immediately shifting her gaze back to the cube.


“Ryuenji-san, here’s the map of this cube.”


Captain Masuda handed her a printed map.


But Ryuenji-san kept her arms crossed, not taking it.


“No need. I’ve memorized it.”


“But the routes inside are pretty complex…”


“…Don’t make me repeat myself. I’ve memorized the paths.”


Ryuenji-san shot Masuda a razor-sharp glare, as if her eyes could fire lasers.


Terrifying, I thought again.


Her icy, queenly stare made me momentarily forget she was my age.


“S-Sorry! Let’s head out then! I’ll lead the way, Lady Ryuenji!”


Masuda adopted a deferential tone.


Switching to “Lady Ryuenji” showed he’d already submitted—amen to that.


To be fair, her attitude wasn’t bad—just intense and intimidating.


She didn’t come off as unpleasant, a testament to her natural queenly charisma.


Masuda looked downright gleeful—was that the joy of submission?


Being ruled by a young, gorgeous woman felt a bit off, though.


Especially since she’d been a high schooler just this spring. Masuda’s delight was borderline criminal, wasn’t it?


Ryuenji-san marched straight toward the cube.


---


The C-rank dungeon’s pink cube.


Nicknamed the Sakura Cube, it shimmered like a pink diamond.


“So this is a dungeon… It’s beautiful…” 


Ryuenji-san stood before the cube, unable to hold back her awe.


It was indeed gorgeous, sparkling like a gemstone.


The cherry-blossom pink was especially enchanting to women, though the inside wouldn’t be nearly as pretty.


“Eek!?”


“Huh?”


The moment Ryuenji-san touched the cube, a dignified voice rang out, and ripples spread across its surface like water disturbed by a stone.


An unexpectedly cute yelp echoed from somewhere, and all eyes turned to Ryuenji-san.


Her face flushed red, and she cleared her throat forcefully.


“Ahem!! Let’s go. Masuda-san, please give the orders.”


“Yes, ma’am! Lady Ryuenji!”


With that, we headed into the dungeon.


Forming a protective ring around Ryuenji-san, we stepped inside the cube.


The interior showed no anomalies—a cave-type dungeon.


“So this is the inside of a dungeon… How strange. Utterly incomprehensible. Teleportation… and magic power too. We can use it, but I don’t understand how it works at all.”


Ryuenji-san walked forward, observing her surroundings.


She touched the walls, then the floor, like she was conducting research. I recalled Tanaka-san mentioning she was a researcher—brilliant, with papers published overseas.


Fluent in multiple languages, she’d been traveling the world since high school.


“And…”


Just then, a fiend emerged from the shadows.


It was likely an advanced form of goblin. Despite being a goblin, it wore tribal garb and had the bulk of a pro wrestler.


But Masuda-san took it down in one blow.


C-rank was no match for a B-rank.


Next, Ryuenji-san approached the fallen fiend and touched it.


“…This is my first time touching one in a dungeon. So this is a monster. It has organs… and an instinct to violate women. Why? Why do they attack humans?”


Suddenly, she rolled up her sleeve and plunged her hand into the corpse.


“…A magic stone. It’s right where the texts said it’d be… Masuda-san, it’s dirty. Get me a towel.”


“Yes! Use my shirt—er, I mean, sorry! Ash! Grab a towel from the bag!”


I fished a towel from the luggage entrusted to me, about to hand it over with some water.


But she extended her arm toward me—a slender, pristine limb that seemed untouched by filth.


“?”


I tilted my head, confused.


“Could you wipe it for me? My hands are full.”


Ryuenji-san said this casually, examining the magic stone with keen interest from every angle.


She was so absorbed that I didn’t even register in her field of vision.


She pulled out her phone, snapping photos and jotting notes.


“N-No problem.”


I splashed cold water on the towel and wiped the blood off.


Her arm was delicate yet soft—definitely a woman’s. My heart raced a little as I realized it.


Masuda-san watched enviously from the side. You’ve been toeing a criminal line since earlier, you know. Thought 


The dungeon run continued smoothly after that.


Though Ryuenji-san stopped to eagerly investigate everything she encountered, slowing our pace.


“Looks like there won’t be any trouble. Good.”


The dungeon run proceeded without major hitches.


It was just a C-rank dungeon, after all. We assumed nothing unexpected would happen and let our guard down.


I was no exception, thinking we’d leave this place unscathed.


But we hadn’t grasped the true meaning of this escort mission.


Ryuenji Aya—the real reason she needed protection, and the existence in this world more terrifying than any monster.


---


◇ Meanwhile, Outside the Cube


“Ha… So sleepy. So bored…”


The C-rank dungeon cube where Ash and the others were delving.


The Dungeon Association staff guarding it were D-rank or lower, working dungeon-related jobs but not delving themselves.


“Since the lady wants to conquer it, we’ve got no choice but to tag along. It’s the president’s orders… though he’s in New York right now, meeting with reps from around the world.”


“I wanna go in too!! He threw a fit about joining, but thank goodness they kept him out. So much energy for his age.”


“Haha, the old man’s still got it!”


“Yep, the Fist God’s title isn’t just for show.”


The two guards yawned and chatted, chuckling.


But they stayed vigilant, ensuring no one approached the cube.


Then—


“!?”


One guard’s vision darkened, as if light had vanished from the world.


He glanced around, suspecting something odd, but everything snapped back to normal.


“W-What was that? A plane? It went dark for a second…”


“What’s up?”


“Nothing, just… everything went dark for a moment. Weird. My imagination?”


“Haha, you’re just tired. The sky’s been clear all day.”


“M-Maybe…”


He rubbed his eyes, chalking it up to fatigue, and returned to his post.


Inside the dungeon—


A figure cloaked in a long black robe had slipped in.


Clad entirely in black, he blended into the shadows, unnoticed.


The moment he entered, the man broke into a sprint.


He was like an embodiment of “darkness” itself.


---


◇ Ash’s Perspective


“We’re almost at the boss room. What’s your plan, Lady Ryuenji?”


“…As much as I hate to rush, let’s proceed with the conquest. I’ve seen everything I wanted to. Thank you all for indulging my selfish whims today. Thanks to your help, I’ve had a very meaningful time.”


Ryuenji-san bowed to us all as she spoke.


After spending time with her on this run, I’d learned that despite her sharp tongue and lofty air, she was actually polite and well-mannered at heart.


Sure, asking a stranger to wipe her hand was a bit odd—probably a side effect of growing up sheltered.


A little naive, but I found myself liking her.


I’d pegged her as a haughty, icy noblewoman, but deep down, she was a sweet girl.


What was the word for it? Tsundere? Kuudere? Though I hadn’t seen her softer side peek out yet.


We chatted and laughed as we went. Masuda-san scratched his head with a goofy grin, trying to hide how much fun he was having.


Just as our cheerful mood peaked—


(Hm? Did I just… feel something?)


For a split second, something felt off.


No, not just off—a chill ran through me.


Like a blade pressed to my neck.


Like someone gripping my heart.


The primal fear of death, something I’d faced countless times.


As the weakest, I’d felt this more than most.


It was an instinct—like a small animal’s—something only those who weren’t born strong could sense.


That had to be it.


A shiver, as if a sword were aimed at me… My nerves spiked—


“No need to thank us! It’s an honor to accompany you, Lady Ryuenji—!?”


—My gut screamed to raise my weapon.


“Guh!?”


“Masuda-san!!”


A black blade burst through the chest of Masuda-san, who’d been beaming at us.


A strike from behind. It pierced his heart, and the light faded from his eyes.


Before we could even process it, Masuda-san collapsed into a heap of flesh.


And behind him stood—


“Enemy attack—!!!”


My scrambled brain kicked into gear, and I shouted.


Avalon’s adventurers were well-trained—they instantly raised their weapons, forming a circle around Ryuenji-san.


Masuda-san… That wound looked fatal—one hit.


“…W-What!? What’s happening!!”


As Mizuguchi-san yelled in panic—a foreign voice cut through.


“…Darken.”


The world plunged into shadow, stripped of light.


My vision went black. The already dim cave became pure darkness.


“What!? W-What’s going on!?”


It seemed everyone’s sight had been stolen.


In the pitch black, I could only hear Mizuguchi-san’s frantic voice and the others’ shouts.


Slash.


It happened in an instant.


The sound of something being cut.


Screams and the sickening noise of flesh being sliced echoed through the dark.


“There’s an enemy!! They’re circling us—moving fast!!”


Ryuenji-san shouted. She could see, apparently.


But for the rest of us, including me, it was total blindness—just darkness.


I couldn’t wrap my head around it.


What was happening? Had we lost our vision?


The darkened room felt like an assassin’s lair.


Then it hit me.


If we were up against an unseen foe, maybe my ability could help.


So I activated the Eye of God, focusing hard.


These eyes had to see.


Golden light flared in my gaze, piercing the dark.


Amid the blackness, two shapes of light flickered.


One was the girl trembling beside me.


The other was a mass of black magic power hurtling toward me at high speed.


If that was the case, then that light—


“Guh!”


“Oh… You actually blocked me. Instinct, huh?”


It was the enemy.


The moment I realized it, his figure came into view.


At the last second, I parried a blade aimed at my neck.


The darkness lifted, and the enemy stood before me.


“Who the hell are you!!”


The man’s attack was thwarted, and he immediately put distance between us, speaking as he did.


He shed his black robe but remained dressed in all black.


He seemed foreign—curly blonde hair and blue eyes locked onto me.


“…Hm. Darken should’ve worked. Was it a reflex?”


He rested his black sword against the ground with one hand, rubbing his jaw with the other, visibly puzzled.


I pointed my sword at the black-clad man and demanded again.


“Answer my question first. Who are you?”


“…Heh, fair enough. My apologies for the rudeness.”


The man bowed to us, introducing himself with an air of courtesy.


“Greetings. I am Faux Veyne, here to kill that young lady… You’re just collateral. So, farewell… Darken.”


The man named Faux, still bowing, muttered as he glanced at me.


The world went dark again, swallowed by blackness.


Too bad for him—I had these eyes.


“!? …Not a fluke?”


I could see anything infused with magic power and blocked his sword once more as it swung toward me.


But honestly, it was a close call.


I could see, but the gap in our magic power and strength was real.


Faux, caught off guard, grew wary and pulled back, restoring light to the world.


“What are you? This place should only have C- and B-rank scrubs, right?”


“…Tell me your goal first.”


“…Heh, my goal is to kill that girl, like I said. That damned Dungeon Association—I’m here to take out the Japanese president’s granddaughter. She’s only S-rank in magic power. This is the mission entrusted to me by that great one, all for the glory of our founder.”


“What…”


Ryuenji-san, cradled in my arms, spoke up after hearing this.


“…They’re likely from the Godslayer Cult. They’re enemies of the Dungeon Association—a twisted group that believes only those with strong magic power deserve to rule the world.”


“The Godslayer Cult? …Isn’t that some ultra-brutal crime syndicate!?”


I’d only heard the name on the news and couldn’t help but blurt it out.


Most major overseas terrorist attacks were tied to this cult.


Some even called it the world’s largest criminal organization, preaching that the strong in magic power should dominate the weak and viewing the Dungeon Association as their nemesis.


“You just… said what?”


Faux Veyne, who’d been calm until now, suddenly shifted his expression at our exchange.


“You call us a crime syndicate? Don’t make me laugh—!!!”


A surge of magic power erupted, his rage shaking the very dungeon.


“Our purpose is to liberate the world!! To free it from the gods’ control! This world stolen by that wretched god!! Why can’t you grasp this grand vision!!”


Faux flew into a fury, charging at me and swinging his sword with force.


I shoved Ryuenji-san aside to get her out of harm’s way, then raised my sword with both hands to block his strike.


But—


“Gaaah!!”


I was sent flying, crashing hard into the wall behind me.


I slumped against it, sliding to the ground.


The impact forced all the air from my lungs, nearly knocking me out.


Still, I lifted my head, peering at this man named Faux through the Eye of God.


Over the past few weeks, I’d tackled about fifty D-rank dungeons.


Full clears of D-rank dungeons granted 100 to 200 magic power each, and with Tanaka-san’s help, I’d conquered nearly all of them in the Kanto region.


As a result, my magic power had risen by nearly 6,000, pushing my strength to upper B-rank.


But the enemy before me—


---


Name: Faux Veyne  

Condition: Fanatic  

Class: Magic Swordsman (Dark) [Advanced]  

Skill: Darken  

Magic Power: 10,500  

Attack Power: Reflectivity ▼50% = 5,250 + 1,000  

Defense Power: Reflectivity ▼35% = 3,675  

Speed: Reflectivity ▼50% = 5,250 + 1,000  

Intelligence: Reflectivity ▼40% = 4,200  


Equipment:  

· Black Wolf Fang Sword = Attack +1,000  

· Black Wolf Pelt = Speed +1,000  


---


I confirmed his status with eyes teetering on the edge of consciousness.


“A-rank… Condition: Fanatic…”


I was curious about what “Fanatic” meant, but right now, the key point was that his strength far outstripped my honed abilities.


This man was among the elite—an upper-tier awakened adventurer.


An A-rank enemy, on par with Tanaka-san in magic power.


---


Name: Ash Tenchi  

Condition: Good  

Class: Junior Knight (Light) [Novice]  

Skills: Eye of God, Access Level Lv1, Illusion  

Magic Power: 6,185  

Attack Power: Reflectivity ▼50% = 3,092 + 120  

Defense Power: Reflectivity ▼25% = 1,546  

Speed: Reflectivity ▼25% = 1,546  

Intelligence: Reflectivity ▼50% = 3,092  


Equipment:  

· Gray Wolf Fang Sword = Attack +120  


---


“Phew… I’m actually getting a little excited.”


Faux, having blasted Ash away, gazed at the empty ceiling, hand over his face as he steadied his emotions.


Then he slowly approached Ryuenji Aya.


He toyed with his black sword gleefully, as if eager to spill blood.


“D-Don’t come closer…”


The once-proud girl, now trembling on the ground, recoiled at his deranged grin.


True madness and killing intent bore down on her.


That overwhelming presence struck at her core. Aya, just an ordinary person with immense magic power, couldn’t withstand it.


Her state amused Faux. He kicked Masuda-san’s severed head from the ground toward her.


The head flew like a ball, striking Aya’s face.


“Ow!?”


Her lip split, blood trickling from her mouth, a bruise forming as if she’d been punched.


The pain, combined with the sight of the head, hit her hard.


Death was standing right in front of her.


“That’s a nice look. The fear on a god’s puppet is just exquisite. I’d love for your grandfather to see this. What kind of face would that stubborn, ancient soldier make?”


Faux’s face lit up with twisted joy as he watched Aya’s twitching expression.


“W-Why… do you want to kill me?”


“To spread our ideals to the world. It could be anyone—the more famous, the better. Killing a pitiful girl like you in a gruesome way will make the world remember us. I’ll take your head and show it off, making you a global laughingstock.”


Faux grinned at Aya, his smile wide.


But it wasn’t a human smile of joy—it was the face of a zealot, a fanatic, enough to stoke terror in Aya’s heart.


“C-Cut off my head… N-No…”


“Don’t like decapitation? Hmm, how about this then? We’ll sever your limbs, tame you for our cult, and broadcast it worldwide. Isn’t that a splendid idea? Yes, this is better—more fun than just killing you.”


Faux offered a demonic suggestion.


The mere thought made Aya shudder, nausea rising.


That fate sounded worse than death.


“And with your looks, the men in our cult—there are plenty—would be thrilled… Heh, time’s precious.”


Faux raised his sword and stepped toward Aya.


She was too paralyzed by fear to move.


Her proud demeanor was gone, replaced by a trembling girl.


“No, don’t!”


Aya resisted feebly, tears welling in her eyes.


Fear overwhelmed her mind, stripping her ability to think.


Raised in a sheltered environment, she had little resistance to terror.


And this, her first taste of it, was suffocatingly painful.


“Well then…”


As his raised sword prepared to swing down at Aya—


“Starting with those long legs—Gaaah!?”


“Huh?”


The teary-eyed girl watched as Faux suddenly leapt aside.


“…Damn, I missed.”


From seemingly empty space emerged one of the escorts.


He’d been invisible, materializing out of nowhere.


The tip of his swung sword glistened with sticky blood.


“What’s happening…?”


The figure that appeared was Ash Tenchi.


He’d used his Illusion skill, biding his time for an opening.


Against someone with higher intelligence, its effect weakened, but partial transparency was enough to catch the enemy off guard.


Seizing the moment, he swung his sword at the man’s neck, but just as it was about to connect, Faux reacted, leaping aside to mitigate the damage.


Ash crouched in front of Aya and spoke to her.


“Please listen calmly. Ryuenji Aya-san, you have a special ability—to craft equipment imbued with magic power. It’s the power of an artisan.”


“W-What are you saying!?”


Ash removed the red necklace from Aya’s neck, pressing the large ruby-like magic stone into her hands.


“We need your strength. Believe in yourself! I don’t know how it works, but you can do it—you have to! This stone is the key.”


“I-I can’t! I don’t have that kind of power!”


“You can! You have to trust yourself!! Otherwise…”


Ash blocked a sword swing from the side.


“We’ll all die here!”


He parried a strike from Faux, cloaked in dark magic like a shadow.


Faux and Ash clashed in a desperate, life-or-death struggle.


“Haha, nice one! You’ve got a trick like mine, huh? Nearly took my head off!”


“Guh!”


Blood dripped from a cut on Faux’s cheek as he traded blows with Ash.


But Faux held the upper hand.


It made sense—the gap in magic power was an absolute divide. Ash couldn’t win in a straight fight.


“You’re weaker than me, huh? You know how it goes—the bigger the magic power gap, the less effective most skills become! If it’s just a little blurry vision, it won’t kill me unless you catch me off guard!!”


“Ngh!!”


Ash faced off against Faux head-on.


The magic power disparity was undeniable.


Ash wielded Illusion.


Faux wielded Darken.


Thanks to the Eye of God, Faux’s Darken had little effect on Ash.


But Ash’s Illusion, hampered by the power gap, was nearly useless—barely enough to muddle perception.


Faux suddenly lowered his sword, stepping back to question Ash.


“So I’m curious—how do you spot me in the dark? My ability’s weak against stronger foes, but against weaker ones, it’s absolute. I don’t get it.”


Faux was baffled. His magic power was clearly superior, a fact confirmed in combat.


Yet this opponent tracked his movements perfectly and fought back.


He couldn’t figure it out.


“It’s a secret… I’ll tell you once I beat you.”


“Fair enough… But your strength’s fading, you know. That perception trick’s starting to wear off.”


“Of course I know. I’ll take you down before then.”


“Heh… Bold words. I thought this’d be an easy job, but you’ve turned it into a real fight. You’re not just a target—you’re an enemy.”


Faux stabbed his sword into the ground and bowed formally.


“I assumed this would be quick and gave a half-hearted introduction earlier—my apologies. I am Faux Veyne, a bishop of the Godslayer Cult. My primary task is eliminating anything that threatens our order. So, may I have your name?”


“Thanks for the polite yet terrifying intro. I’m Ash Tenchi, an adventurer from this country.”


Ash raised his sword, declaring his name.


The man’s courteous introduction prompted a reflex response—besides, it was kill or be killed, so no harm done.


“Ash Tenchi  That rings a bell… Where have I heard it…?”


Faux pondered, rubbing his jaw with his eyes closed.


Ash could only wait for Aya to craft something, making this exchange a welcome delay.


What kind of effect the crafted item might have was anyone’s guess.


But in this dire situation, it was their only bet.


Time ticked closer to defeat.


“That’s it!! I remember!! That great one mentioned a Golden Cube dropped in this country—you were one of the participants, right? You were supposed to be dead, but then they called it an administrative error… Wait, could it be…?”


“!? You know about that cube? What do you know!?”


“…I recall you had no rank back then. Why? This is getting weirder… Could it be…?”


The casual air vanished as Faux Veyne glared at Ash, exuding unprecedented killing intent.


“Did the gods choose you?”


“I don’t know what you mean.”


“…Heh, hehehe, hahaha!! I get it now, I get it!! What luck! It’s you, not Issei Tanaka!! In that case!!”


Faux lunged at Ash with full force.


“I’ll kill you and drag your corpse back!!”


He skipped Darken, relying solely on raw power.


But that made it deadlier for Ash—the magic power gap was an unbridgeable chasm.


“Guh! Illusion!”


Ash activated Illusion, trying to tilt the odds even slightly.


But—


“It’s barely working, God’s Knight!!”


Faux saw through it effortlessly.


Ash could still parry thanks to his countless brushes with death, experience that let him defy the odds. Yet defeat loomed closer.


His skills weren’t seasoned enough to overcome the absolute disparity in magic power.


Meanwhile, his only hope—


“Crafting? What does that even mean? What power do I have!?”


Aya clutched the ruby tightly.


It was a stunning red gem harvested from a Red Dragon—an S-rank dragon species.


A gift from her grandfather, the president of the Japan Dungeon Association.


“I don’t have any power, no special ability.”


Aya’s proud persona was a faรงade she’d built.


Her lineage, upbringing, and magic power had piled expectations on her, and she’d been groomed to meet them.


Yet she had no strength.


Despite her vast magic power, she couldn’t do anything—achieved nothing.


Some even called her an “S-rank failure,” looking down on her. But she’d silenced them with grueling effort.


She worked harder than anyone, learned more than anyone.


But magic power eluded her—she knew she had it in spades but couldn’t wield it.


She’d hoped entering a dungeon might change her world.


With faint anticipation, after turning eighteen, she’d forced her way into one.


This was supposed to be the start of Aya’s life.


Instead, it was about to end.


That guy’s last cryptic words—telling her she had a special ability and to believe—rang hollow.


She didn’t buy it.


It was the very thing she’d tried to believe in for years, only to be proven wrong time and again.


Eighteen years felt short, but to Aya, it was her entire, endless life.


She wasn’t special. An unremarkable person like her had no worth in this world.


That belief, built over years, shaped her into a seemingly haughty girl, walling herself off from others.


That was the framework of who Aya was.


“No way, I can’t… Someone like me…”


The harder she tried, the more powerless she felt. Tears streamed down her face.


Convinced she couldn’t do it, she started to let go of the gem—


When Ash crashed into the wall beside her.


Blood trickled from his head, yet his eyes burned with unyielding resolve, glowing gold.


Bruised and battered, those eyes never lost their light.


“Heh, no idea what you’ve been fussing over, but give it up. That woman can’t do a thing.”


Faux sneered at Aya mockingly.


His gaze was lewd and degrading.


“Her only value is her looks. Is a worthless girl like that worth saving? Alone, you might have a slim chance to escape.”


“…”


Aya’s head dropped, tears falling.


She’d heard it a million times—praise for her appearance.


Always just her looks, shallow compliments about her surface.


It infuriated her.


But—


“You’re wrong.”


Ash saw it.


“You can’t see anything, so you’ve got no right to judge her potential. You only see the outside—don’t you dare deny what she’s capable of. She’s strong. She believes in herself, never gives up, and has an unbreakable heart. You wouldn’t get it—the pain of being called a failure for eighteen years, or the strength it takes to keep going despite that!!”


Ash had heard it from Tanaka.


For nearly eighteen years, Aya had been derided as an “S-rank failure,” enduring endless scorn.


Yet she refused to break, pushing forward with relentless effort.


Her struggles, her regrets, her resilience.


Ash understood it all.


“…You’re still standing? I don’t get it. Can’t see? You’re the one not seeing reality.”


Ash, battered and bleeding, rose again.


Fueled by an indomitable, weed-like spirit, he kept getting up.


“No, I see it. I see everything.”


Ash pointed at Faux.


“You’re going to lose.”


“Heh, hehehe, hahaha! Are you delusional? Ha… I’m done. Let’s end this. I’ll prove you wrong!!”


With that, Faux ignored Ash and charged straight at Aya.


He swung his sword down at her neck.


A merciless blade of death bore down on her.


Aya instinctively shut her eyes.


Then, blood splashed across her face.


The rusty scent of red stained her lips.


“…Huh?”


But it wasn’t her blood. She opened her eyes and looked up.


Before her stood someone’s back.


He held up his sword, barely blocking the attack.


Yet he couldn’t fully stop it—the blade sliced into his left arm, blood spurting out.


“Tenchi-san… Why…?”


“Don’t run away, Ryuenji-san. Believe in yourself—believe in your strength! Us!! The ones always called worthless!! Our one redeeming trait is that we never give up, right!!”


Those words were for his past self too.


For years, Ash had looked down on himself, but in the end, it was his will that changed the world.


He poured his heart into his plea, forcing a smile through the pain as he glanced back at her.


Then, gritting his teeth, he launched a counterattack. Faux pulled back, putting distance between them.


With his left arm gravely wounded, Ash could no longer wield his sword with both hands. He dropped to his knees.


Seeing this, Aya gave a faint nod.


She stopped fleeing from her heart and, with utter sincerity, prayed to the gem in her hands.


She didn’t know what she could do.


But for someone fighting so desperately to protect her, believing in her so fiercely, she wanted to meet his expectations with everything she had.


She bit her lip and prayed, pouring all her strength into it.


This time, she wouldn’t doubt. This time, she wouldn’t give up.


Because until death ended it all, it wasn’t over.


At that moment, a drop of blood seeped from her bitten lip.


It fell onto the gem in her grasp.


The instant that blood touched the red magic stone—


The stone erupted in a blinding, sun-like glow.




“Huh? W-What’s happening…?”


Ash grinned at the sight, while Faux, bewildered by the sudden flare, shielded his face.


“So this is your power… I always believed in you. Mind if I borrow it?”


Ash took the ruby from Aya’s hands.


Gripping it tightly, he stood up.


“…I don’t know what’s going on, but quit flailing at death’s door. At this point, tricks—”


“No, you’re wrong. This is her true power.”


“Don’t be ridiculous! That woman’s a failure! It’s a fact!”


“No, you just didn’t see anything. Not her, not—”


“…Didn’t see? What are you—!?”


Faux opened his eyes.


He scanned around frantically.


Because Ash, who’d been right there, had vanished from sight.


“…Where’d he go?”


Ash had slipped from his vision entirely.


It was his skill—bending light to create illusions.


A power that shouldn’t have worked against stronger foes.


Yet it warped Faux Veyne’s perception, as if—


“—Me.”


Like a phantom.


In the dark cave stood a girl and a fanatic.


And a boy cloaked in shadow, hidden within the light.


“Where’d he go!? What’s happening!? Show yourself!!”


Faux whipped his head around in a panic.


But he couldn’t pinpoint Ash, who’d been fighting him moments ago.


He had seen him. Right up until that instant, he’d been visible—then he vanished like mist.


Ironically, he was now in the same position as his usual prey.


Ash did have a perception-altering ability.


But it shouldn’t have worked on someone stronger.


By all logic, this was impossible.


“No way… No way!!!”


Faux’s scream echoed off the cold walls.


Could that glowing item, made by the supposed “failure,” be some kind of special equipment?


Something more powerful than his own magic?


If so—


“Gah, gaaah!! Stay back! Stay away!!”


Faux flailed his sword wildly.


He’d never imagined how terrifying it was to be blind. His body, eyes, back, and legs trembled uncontrollably, dreading an attack from anywhere.


“Show yourself! Where are you!!”


The once-calm Faux was gone.


Fear of an unseen strike drove him to swing relentlessly.


But such erratic attacks couldn’t hit anything.


And Ash wasn’t about to let this chance slip.


“—You’ve lost.”


“Guh!?”


Then, from beside Faux’s wildly swinging form, Ash emerged.


Before Faux’s eyes, a pure white sword plunged into his chest.


A direct hit to the heart. Too late to block, the blade pierced through, blood spurting from Faux’s mouth as he crumpled.


Ash didn’t hesitate.


It was his first kill, but if he didn’t, he’d be the one dead.


This was a fight for survival—any misstep meant death.


So there was no room for doubt.


“I told you, you’d lose… Though it’s all thanks to her power.”


“…Why… How…?”


Ash pulled out his sword, flicking off the blood.


Faux sank to his knees, collapsing backward. His sword slipped from his hand.


Blood gushed from his mouth as his hollow eyes stared into the void.


“…”


Ash gazed down at him.


He watched the dying man gasp for air, hearing the desperate wheeze of someone clinging to life.


Faux’s life flickered out like a candle in the wind, and the reality of taking a life sank into Ash.


The sensation of his first kill seeped slowly, surely, into every fiber of his being.


“Why… What…?”


Faux rasped, on the brink of death.


Spitting blood, he forced out words.


“It’s her power. She crafted an item, and I beat you with it.”


(Technically, it’s intelligence.)


Ash’s victory hinged on Aya’s crafted item.


It boosted his intelligence reflectivity, amplifying Illusion’s effect.


“She crafted it… How did you know… she had that power?”


“I told you—I can see.”


Faux looked into Ash’s eyes.


Then he noticed it—the golden, flame-like glow deep within.


His eyes widened, staring at Ash in shock.


“…I see, so that’s it. The gods’ favor… So that’s the power. I wish I could report this to that great one… What a dangerous ability.”


“…Yeah, I got these eyes. Tell me—what are the gods? Why hate them? What’s your goal?”


“Why hate them…? The gods must be destroyed. It’s that great one’s lifelong wish—a way to break this world, to make those cubes, created by gods who stole my loved ones at whim, vanish. That’s my reason to live.”


“What…?”


Hearing Faux’s words and seeing his expression, Ash’s face hardened.


He’d thought Faux was pure evil, but the man had his own sense of justice.


Then Ash realized—Faux’s once-demonic face now looked like a gentle, devout priest.


He wasn’t mistaken; Faux’s expression was truly serene.


“Heh, you’re still green, making that face at a dying enemy… It’s fine. This frees me from the gods’ grip.”


Ash cradled the fallen Faux, inexplicably on the verge of tears.


The man he couldn’t reason with moments ago now wore a peaceful look.


His status bar shifted—Fanatic faded, replaced by Death.


Faux Veyne seemed to have been manipulated.


Yet his next words showed that, even under control, he’d held to his own justice.


“Only that great one can save this world. I hope you, God’s Knight, realize it someday…Tenchi-san. It’s a simple rite, but may your future be yours to shape—and—”


Faux grasped the cross necklace on his chest, tracing an inverted cross toward Ash.


“—May humanity’s future rest in human hands…”


The inverted cross, a symbol of devil worship.


Yet his gesture was that of a pious priest, his once-sinister face now tranquil.


Faux’s eyes closed slowly.


“Hey, I’ve got more questions! Hey! Hey…”


No response. The man named Faux breathed his last.


◇ Ash’s Perspective


“What the hell.”


I muttered weakly.


This victory tasted too bitter, leaving a sour feeling.


The guilt of killing outweighed any triumph. That man’s final, gentle expression—after all his evil—stuck with me.


Maybe he was a good person deep down.


He’d died after killing so many, nearly me too, yet his last look made me think that.


I shook him from my mind, trying to forget.


Even at the end, I couldn’t grasp what Faux meant by his words.


But for now, I had to deal with the situation at hand.


I stared at the ruby in my hand.


---


Attribute: Item (Crafted)  

Name: Red Dragon’s Wisdom  

Effect: Intelligence Magic Reflectivity +25%  

Description:  

A crafted item made from a Red Dragon magic stone.  

As an unfinished product, its quality is unstable.  

Time until collapse: 00:00:03  


---


Three seconds later, with a crack, the gem shattered.


It had a time limit, apparently.


I wanted to study it more, but there was no time—I was about to pass out.


I pocketed the item and headed toward Ryuenji-san.


“You’ve probably got a ton of questions, but let’s get out of here first. I’m losing consciousness, so I’ll take down the boss fast.”


I pressed my left arm.


Blood flowed from the deep gash on my shoulder, starting to discolor.


“B-But… my l-legs…”


I glanced at Ryuenji-san’s legs.


She was kneeling, her trembling limbs too weak to stand.


I didn’t have the strength to wait for her to get up slowly.


I knelt in front of her.


“Hold onto me.”


“What!?”


“Faux stabbed me—my left arm’s useless. Can you hold me? I should manage with just my right to carry you. Your arms work, right?”


“Huh!? Y-Yeah, they do… Huh!?”


Ryuenji-san’s face turned beet red, flustered, but this wasn’t the time to care.


If I passed out, she’d never clear the dungeon alone.


So I pressed myself against her, urging her to hurry.


The urgency made my tone harsher than intended.


If I blacked out here, she’d die for sure.


This was a C-rank dungeon—no place for a normal person to survive. So—


“Hurry.”


“O-Okay…”


Ryuenji-san let out a small whimper, stopped resisting, and clung to me.


I lifted her up.


“…Hold tighter, or you’ll fall.”


“Ugh… Okay…”


I felt a twinge of guilt, but the situation left no room for hesitation.


Sheathing my sword, I supported her hips with my right hand, hoisting her up.


“Eek!?”


“Just bear with it. But…”


“W-What!?”


“You’re pretty light.”


“!!??”


(Her hair’s so soft… and smells nice…)


I felt a bit bad, but as a healthy guy, I couldn’t help noticing the scent wafting toward me.


Ryuenji-san’s face—and even her ears—flushed red as she buried her head in my chest.


She groaned softly, but I brushed it off and stood.


I ran to the boss room, opened the door, and set her down.


“Pumoohhh!!!”


“No time to mess around.”


“Pumoohhh!?”


I took out the boss in five seconds flat.


With my upper B-rank magic power and Illusion, the C-rank boss was dead before it even noticed me.


I collapsed to my knees, thinking, This is it, then fell flat, eyes closing.


Honestly, I’d lost too much blood to keep going.


I’d held on by sheer will, but the anemia made me nauseous, and my left arm was numb.


“Haha, why do I always end up like this?”


“T-Tenchi-san!!”


Ryuenji-san’s voice calling me rang in my ears as specks of light enveloped us, teleporting us out.


With that, I slipped into darkness, losing consciousness.


—.

ToC


Chapter 8


Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment