Sword Saint Story: Starting from Zero Attack Power ~After being abandoned by my childhood friend, the princess, I enrolls in a magic school and ends up making a contract with the Demon Lord~ Volume 1 Chapter 8

Ren

 Chapter 8: Eugene and Sumire become partners

◇ Sumire’s Perspective ◇

“The challenger has emerged victorious.”

The moment I heard those words, I bolted out of the hollow of the great tree and raced toward Eugene-kun.

Eugene-kun was on his knees, his eyes vacant and hollow.

“Eugene-kun!”

I called his name loudly and threw my arms around him.

“…Sumire, are you okay?” he asked weakly.

“It’s not me… It’s you, Eugene-kun…”

He didn’t seem to have any major injuries, but Eugene-kun was gasping for breath, barely able to speak. To see him so battered, so broken…

Tears of frustration welled up as I looked at him.

I’m… so powerless. Always crying, always needing to be saved…

Why am I so weak?

“Let’s head to the Dungeon Elevator. The Dungeon Staff might already be there to help,” Eugene-kun said.

“Y-Yeah…”

We started walking slowly.

“…”

“…”

As we trudged along, neither of us spoke a word.

Eugene-kun’s steps were unsteady, his gait heavy.

I matched his pace, keeping close.

When we reached a clearing, we stopped dead in our tracks.

Fallen trees lay scattered. The ground was gouged and torn. And here and there, pools of crimson blood stained the earth.

“…What…?”

It took me a moment to realize the voice was mine.

My mind couldn’t process the scene before me.

Scattered across the ground were red objects, a horrific tableau unfolding.

They were the bodies of the Martial Arts Club members.

Each one was twisted unnaturally, some with limbs torn apart, others with faces frozen in expressions of terror, as if they’d faced unimaginable horrors.

It was a sight too gruesome to bear.

“…Ah… Ahh…”

A wordless cry escaped my lips, while Eugene-kun grimaced in silence.

And then, I saw her.

Lying in a pool of blood—Leona-san.

“…No… It can’t be…”

I stumbled toward what used to be Leona-san.

Her carefree smile when she invited me to the camp.

Her serious expression as she taught me martial arts.

The excited tone of her voice when she recruited me to join the club.

Just half a day ago, those memories flashed vividly in my mind.

And now, I was forced to accept that they’d never return.

“Ugh… Sob… Sob…”

I collapsed to the ground, sobbing. Why… Why did this have to happen?

Or… is this just how this world works?

One moment, you’re laughing with a friend, and the next, they could be gone…

“No… I can’t… I can’t live in a world like this…”

Eugene-kun was here. I’d made friends with Leona-san.

I was starting to like this world, just a little.

It’s too cruel… This isn’t fair…

“Please… Send me back… Back to my old world… Please, God… Sob…”

Tears streamed down my face, and empty pleas spilled from my mouth.

Then, I felt arms wrap around my shoulders.

I didn’t need to turn to know it was Eugene-kun.

(What…?)

No words of comfort could reach me now. That’s what I thought.

“Sumire, do you want to go back to your old world?” Eugene-kun asked.

His words set my mind ablaze with anger.

“Yes! Of course I do! I can’t survive in a world like this! A stupid world where friends die in an instant doesn’t make sense! My world… My world was so much more peaceful!”

I shouldn’t say this. Eugene-kun saved me.

Just moments ago, he risked his life fighting a monster for me.

But the words wouldn’t stop. I was lashing out.

Pathetic, throwing a childish tantrum.

“I want to go back… Please… Send me back to my old world…”

“Sumire…”

Eugene-kun called my name, but I couldn’t respond.

I need to stop crying… A calm part of me urged, but another part wanted to keep sobbing.

I didn’t even know what I wanted anymore. And then—

“…I’ll make sure you get back to your old world, Sumire.”

Eugene-kun’s words reached my ears.

(…What?)

What was he saying?

“That’s impossible!” I snapped, raising my head instinctively.

But Eugene-kun’s face was deadly serious.

“In the Last Dungeon, every hundred floors, you can receive a ‘Heaven’s Gift’ from the Holy Gods,” he explained.

“…And… what does that mean?”

I didn’t understand. Why bring this up now?

“The ‘Heaven’s Gift’ on the five-hundredth floor is called the ‘World Gate.’ Legend says it can let you cross into another world.”

“…Huh?”

The words didn’t sink in.

C-Cross to another world? That’s… possible!?

If I reach the five-hundredth floor, I could return to my world!?

“W-Wait, no… I’m an Ifrit, a Fire Godkin now. Even if I went back, I wouldn’t be human anymore…”

“The ‘Heaven’s Gift’ on the three-hundredth floor is the ‘Fountain of Transformation.’ It can change you into any form you desire. You could wish to return to your original human self.”

“Wha—!? No way! Really!?”

A divine artifact that convenient exists!?

“S-So… I could really… go back to my old world?”

“Well, in the last five hundred years, only one person has ever reached the five-hundredth floor. Only one person has ever confirmed the existence of the ‘World Gate.’ It’s practically a legend now, so I can’t say for sure.”

Eugene-kun said it with a slightly apologetic look.

“B-But… there’s a chance, right?”

“Yeah. The record holder, the explorer Krist, left behind words claiming that the ‘World Gate’ on the five-hundredth floor can let you freely travel to other worlds.”

“So… I could really go back…?”

“I’ll say it again, no one else has ever confirmed Krist’s claim. It’s just one explorer’s word.”

Even so, learning there was a chance to return to my world lifted my spirits.

It felt like I’d found a reason to keep going.

After all, Eugene-kun just defeated a “Divine Beast” that’s supposed to be incredibly strong!

If Eugene-kun helps me, maybe it’s not just a pipe dream?

…But one question lingered.

“Eugene-kun… why are you going this far for me?”

The words slipped out before I could stop them. What answer was I hoping for?

Eugene-kun is my guardian. He’s just indulging my selfishness.

I expected him to say, “It’s my job.” But—

“Huh?”

Eugene-kun looked surprised, blinking at me.

“Well…”

He glanced upward, thinking for a moment before speaking slowly.

“My family, the Santafield House, comes from a small country in the Eastern Continent. We’re a lineage of Sword Saints, serving lords for generations. Though, the country I was born in was destroyed in a war.”

I’d heard bits of this story before, back in the tent.

“My father found a new lord to serve in the Southern Continent, Emperor Glenflare. I was a little jealous, to be honest. Guess it’s in the blood…”

A lord… Like a samurai from my old world?

“So when my childhood friend Airi, who I wanted to serve as emperor, abandoned me, I lost my purpose in life.”

“Y-Yeah…”

I nodded awkwardly as Eugene-kun shared his painful past. He looked me straight in the eyes.

“My father… no, my family’s creed has been passed down for generations: ‘The Santafield House does not wield its sword for itself. Wield it for others.’”

“I… see…”

“So earlier, I thought to myself… I may have lost my lord, but I can still wield my sword for a crying girl.”

“…”

A crying girl?

Eugene-kun’s gaze was fixed on my face.

My tear-streaked, pathetic face, wet and messy from crying like a child. I hurriedly wiped my tears.

“That’s why I’ll take you to the five-hundredth floor, Sumire. So you can return to your old world… maybe.”

Eugene-kun smiled.

His eyes were clear, and I knew he meant every word from the bottom of his heart.

“Ah…”

I started to say “thank you” but stopped myself.

Eugene-kun is kind. It’s easy to lean on him. But is that okay?

Like before, hiding while Eugene-kun fights?

Leaving him to get battered and broken…?

While I just tremble in fear? No. That’s absolutely not okay.

“Eugene-kun! Let’s go to the five-hundredth floor together! I’ll help too!”

“Sumire?”

I grabbed his hand firmly and declared,

“I’ll get stronger! The Headmaster said Ifrits, Fire Godkin, are supposed to be really powerful! I’ll train and get strong! If we team up, we can make it! I’ll take you to the five-hundredth floor, and we’ll break that stone monument’s record!”

I spoke so fast I could barely keep up with myself.

Eugene-kun looked surprised, then chuckled softly.

“Yeah, you’re right. I’m just a ‘Zero-Attack Swordsman’ with only White Mana. Without your Red Mana, Sumire, the five-hundredth floor is a pipe dream.”

“T-That’s not what I meant!”

I shook my head frantically.

Eugene-kun slowly extended his right hand.

“Sumire, will you be my partner? Let’s aim for the five-hundredth floor together.”

He said it so earnestly.

(Partner… That sounds perfect, doesn’t it?)

Relying on each other, combining our strengths, facing challenges together as partners.

“Yeah! Let’s do it!”

We shook hands, grinning at each other.







—And so, we became a duo of explorers, challenging a record untouched for five hundred years.

◇ Eugene’s Perspective ◇

When Sumire and I vowed to aim for the five-hundredth floor together—

“Hey, Eugene!”

A voice called out to me. Someone was approaching from the Dungeon Elevator.

It was a familiar face—a Dungeon Staff uncle I knew well.

Thank goodness. He got here faster than I expected.

I could see other Dungeon Staff members too. They must’ve rushed over for the emergency.

“Uncle! You made it!”

“Man, things got pretty wild, huh?”

“No kidding…”

I’d lost count of how many times I thought I was done for.

“Here! Drink this Heal Drink. You look like hell!”

“Thanks.”

I took the drink from the uncle and chugged it down.

It was a bit sweet, but it soaked into my body, refreshing me.

My foggy consciousness started to clear up.

“Young lady, you want one too?”

“N-No… I was just hiding, so I’m fine…” Sumire declined.

Maybe the bright green color threw her off. It tastes better than it looks, though.

The other Dungeon Staff members were surveying the aftermath of the Hellhound’s rampage.

They were also inspecting the bodies of the Martial Arts Club members.

“Whew, what a mess.”

“Finding all the missing body parts is gonna be a pain…”

“Looks like we’re stuck on corpse recovery all day.”

“Gotta claim that overtime pay.”

The Dungeon Staff members chatted casually.

“What!? Don’t talk like that!” Sumire snapped, her voice sharp with anger.

To them, this was just another day on the job.

Though, a disaster this bad probably wasn’t common.

“Sumire, calm down. Uncle, can you start with her? Her name’s Leona, our friend.”

“Got it. This one first, then.”

The uncle approached Leona’s body, pulling out a small vial and letting a single drop fall.

The droplet shimmered with rainbow light, enveloping Leona’s body in a glow.

—And in the next moment, her body was whole again, and her eyes snapped open.

“…Huh?”

Sumire let out a stunned squeak.

Leona blinked rapidly, her gaze unfocused.

Then, she shakily sat up.

“…Mmm…? Sumire-chan and Eugene-san… and Dungeon Staff?”

She looked at us with sleepy eyes.

“Leona, how’re you feeling?” I asked.

“…Like I went through something totally unfair…”

“Don’t try to remember too much. You’re better off without the memory of dying.”

“Dying… Oh—! I remember! Listen to this!”

“What’s up?”

For someone who just came back to life, Leona’s energy was surprisingly high.

“So, I got killed by that Hellhound, right!? And I ended up in the Underworld! I was wandering around for a bit when the Hellhound came back! To the Underworld!”

“Well, yeah, Cerberus lives in the Underworld, so that makes sense.”

Right. Getting killed by Cerberus means running into it again in the Underworld. That’s… not great.

“It looked kinda sorry, but like, don’t kill me then! …Oh, whoa! My explorer outfit’s trashed. This was expensive~”

Leona frowned, inspecting her tattered clothes.

“N-N-N-N-N…”

Sumire was trying to say something but couldn’t get the words out.

“Sumire?”

“Sumire-chan, what’s wrong?”

Leona and I leaned in, and then she screamed.

“What’s going on!?”

Oh, right. My head’s still fuzzy from the Demon King’s contract.

I forgot to explain the most important part.

“So, um… The thing the Dungeon Staff used was a magical item called the ‘Drop of Revival.’ It can bring back explorers who die in the Last Dungeon below the hundredth floor within twenty-four hours…?”

“Sorry, Sumire. I didn’t explain.”

It’s basic knowledge taught at the academy, but I didn’t think we’d need it so soon.

I figured she’d learn it in class eventually, so I hadn’t mentioned it before this low-floor expedition.

I mean, we weren’t even supposed to fight a Floor Boss this time.

Who could’ve predicted a Divine Beast would show up?

“So, even if we die, we’re okay…?”

Sumire’s expression was complicated. Maybe she felt like she’d been scared for nothing.

“Well, there’s a penalty for dying in the Tower of Babel,” I added.

“A penalty…?”

“The ‘Drop of Revival’ can bring people back, but sometimes it leaves ‘aftereffects,’” Leona explained. “Like memory loss, or in worse cases, missing body parts.”

“What!?” Sumire yelped, shocked.

It’s true—the ‘Drop of Revival’ isn’t a perfect fix.

It prioritizes saving lives above all else.

“Well, I don’t seem to have any issues this time…” Leona said, spinning around to check herself.

“And it can leave your body feeling off, right?” I asked.

“Yeah… I’ve been feeling super heavy since I woke up…” Leona admitted, looking tired.

“I-I see…” Sumire’s face grew serious again.

“And here’s something really important to remember,” I said. “If a monster eats you, you can’t be revived.”

“…!” Sumire’s face paled instantly.

I wanted her to understand that the situation earlier wasn’t something to take lightly.

“It’s the same even with Divine Beasts. Though, this time, Cerberus only ate goblins, not humans…”

The chewing sounds I’d heard were just Cerberus eating goblins.

From what I could tell, the Divine Beast Cerberus didn’t touch the humans. Why not?

(Cerberus-chan is a proud Divine Beast. She doesn’t devour brave challengers like that,)

came Ellie the Demon King’s voice in my head.

(Ellie, is that true?)

(Yup! But she got a bit too excited being summoned for a ‘Divine Trial’ after so long. She didn’t expect to be called to the twentieth floor, though.)

(…Hey, Ellie. Why was a Divine Beast summoned to the twentieth floor?)

(Who knows? Weird, right?)

(Are you hiding something?)

(How would I know? I’m sealed deep under the Magic Academy, remember?)

(…Right.)

I couldn’t tell if Ellie was being honest from her tone.

…I’ll have to talk to her later.

There’s a lot I need to discuss with the Demon King anyway.

Especially about the ‘price of the contract.’ A deal with a Demon King isn’t cheap.

I don’t regret making it, but it weighs on me.

What will I have to pay?

(My adorable Eugene, great job fighting Cerberus-chan! I’m waiting for you to visit~♡)

Whether she knew my thoughts or not, Ellie’s telepathic message cut off there.

“Eugene-kun? You okay? You’re spacing out,” Sumire said, looking worried.

“Oh, uh, it’s nothing, Sumire. Just tired.”

I flashed a smile to reassure her.

Nearby, Leona was talking with the Dungeon Staff uncle.

“You’re the squad leader, right? We’ll start reviving the others, so can you help confirm no one’s missing?”

“…Yes, understood.”

“We’ll cover the cost of the ‘Drops of Revival’ for now, but the academy will get billed later. You know the ‘Drops of Revival’ are usually the explorer’s responsibility, right?”

“Y-Yes… By the way, what’s the current market price for a ‘Drop of Revival’…?”

“…”

“Um…?”

The uncle’s face turned grim.

“…Three million G.”

“What!? That’s over three times the usual price! Why!?”

Leona’s scream echoed.

“There’s been a situation lately where we’ve burned through a lot of ‘Drops of Revival.’ Prices have skyrocketed.”

“S-So… the total cost to revive our entire squad…?”

Leona’s voice trembled.

The Martial Arts Club’s third squad had over twenty members, right?

“We might get a slight discount for bulk, but… probably over fifty million G.”

An astronomical sum.

“…Ha… Haha. It’s over… My academy life… Drowning in debt… I’m done…”

“Leona-san! You don’t have to shoulder everyone’s debt, do you!?” Sumire ran over, concerned.

“No, it’s the rule… The leader takes responsibility in times like this. Plus, I planned this expedition… Ugh, I’m done. My youth is over.”

“Leona-saaan!”

Leona laughed dryly, staring into the distance, while Sumire hovered anxiously beside her.

This whole thing was unfair, and I wanted to help somehow…

But I don’t exactly have tens of millions of G lying around either.

That’s when it happened.

“Hey! Look at this!”

Another Dungeon Staff member shouted, drawing a crowd.

(What’s going on…?)

The reason became clear quickly.

A frantic-looking Dungeon Staff member—judging by their uniform, a senior staff—ran toward us.

“Hey! You’re the one who cut off that Hellhound Cerberus’s head, right!?”

“Yeah, that’s me.”

The senior staff pointed to where Cerberus’s head lay, the one I’d severed.

It hadn’t vanished with the summoning, huh. I hadn’t paid it much mind.

Or rather, I didn’t have the energy to.

“That’s incredible! Bringing back a Divine Beast’s head!”

“It’d be worth a fortune as a material!”

“No less than a hundred million G, guaranteed!”

“No, no, some noble would pay way more to stuff it and display it. An auction could go beyond imagination!”

I overheard their excited chatter.

(Is it okay to use a Divine Beast’s head like that…?)

I was a bit worried, but if it was an issue, the ‘Angel’s Voice’ would probably say something.

Then again, the Angel’s Voice started a ‘Divine Trial’ on the twentieth floor…

Maybe it’s not that strict.

As I pondered, the senior staff spoke to me.

“Eugene-san, that Divine Beast head is your trophy. You’re free to take it. But if you entrust it to us, the Dungeon Union, we’ll handle the sale to maximize its value. Of course, we’ll charge a fee, but we can negotiate better terms than a student could.”

The senior staff’s tone was serious. This must be a big deal.

Maybe orders from the Union higher-ups.

“I’m no expert, so I’ll leave it to you.”

“Great! Thank you, Eugene-san!”

The senior staff beamed and barked orders to the others.

“We have the explorer’s approval! Store it in a Storage Magical Item immediately! Move it to the Union warehouse! Got it?”

““““Yes, sir!!!””””

In no time, Cerberus’s head was whisked away.

Then I realized something.

“Excuse me, I have one request,” I said to the senior staff.

“What is it, Eugene-san? We’ll do our best to accommodate.”

“Please deduct the cost of the ‘Drops of Revival’ used on the twentieth floor from the proceeds of the head’s sale.”

“…Oh? I thought you weren’t officially part of their party.”

“It’s fine. I was hired as their escort but failed to protect them.”

“I see. Understood. Even after covering the ‘Drops of Revival,’ you should still see a significant profit. I’ll send you the details later.”

“Thank you.”

Our conversation must’ve reached their ears.

“Eugene-san!? Wait a second!” Leona cried, looking panicked.

“Eugene-kun!” Sumire called, smiling brightly as they both ran over.

“You don’t have to go that far!” Leona protested.

“But I was supposed to be the Barrier Mage shielding the Martial Arts Club. This evens it out.”

“That doesn’t even come close to balancing!”

“If it really bothers you, pay me back little by little. No interest, no collateral, no deadline. Whenever you can, no pressure.”

“Eugene-san…”

Leona’s expression was hard to read.

“Jeez, Eugene, isn’t that a bit too casual?” the Dungeon Staff uncle said, exasperated.

“It’s fine. I’d just be stuck with a pile of money I don’t know what to do with.”

“Eugene-kun, you’re amazing!!” Sumire exclaimed, throwing her arms around me.

Sumire’s emotions are always so direct.

“Well, I’m heading back to work,” the uncle said, joining the other Dungeon Staff to inspect the twentieth floor.

By the way, Sumire was still clinging to me.

I turned to Leona, who was standing there dazed.

“Don’t worry about the money. You’ve got a lot to handle as squad leader. For now, just rest.”

“…Haa… If Sumire-chan wasn’t here, I might’ve fallen for you. I’ll repay this favor someday. And the money, I’ll pay it back properly!!”

With that, Leona headed toward the Dungeon Staff, probably to check on the rest of her revived squad.

“Well, time for us to head back,” I said, patting Sumire’s head as a signal.

“Okay~”

Sumire reluctantly let go. We reached the Dungeon Elevator.

Phew… Finally, we can go home.

This was Sumire’s first expedition, wasn’t it?

Looking back, it was one hell of a trip.

(…But we gained a lot.)

I glanced at Sumire beside me.

She was staring at me with those big eyes.

…My heart skipped a beat.

“Hehe…”

Her goofy grin was oddly endearing.

For a moment, I wanted to hug her but shook off the thought.

“Here’s to our future, partner Sumire.”

“Yup, to us, Eugene-kun!”

We laughed and stepped into the Dungeon Elevator.

—And so began our challenge to conquer the Last Dungeon, the Tower of Babel.


——.

ToC

Intrulde 2

T/N: Credit Kaori Translations for providing the raws for this series.

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment