Sword Saint Story: Starting from Zero Attack Power ~After being abandoned by my childhood friend, the princess, I enrolls in a magic school and ends up making a contract with the Demon Lord~ Volume 2 Prologue

Ren

 Prologue: Candidate for the Holy Saint of the Holy Kingdom


◇Perspective of Student Council President Sara◇


The Saintess Candidate of the Holy Kingdom of Cardia.  


This title signifies the successor to the supreme leaders of the great nation of Cardia, located on the southern continent—the "Eight Saintesses." The number of Saintess Candidates far exceeds the population of a small country, and it is said in the Holy Capital that if you throw a stone, it will hit a Saintess Candidate.  


Yet, among them, the competition to claim one of the mere eight seats of the Saintesses is fierce.  


Surprisingly, however, direct conflict among the candidates is relatively rare. The reason is simple: during the final trial to become a Saintess, the Goddess of Fate, who sees through all past deeds, makes the selection.  


Any cowardly act, such as sabotaging a rival, will be laid bare under the light of truth.  


Saintess Candidates are always expected to uphold nobility and dignity.  


And I, Sara Iglesia Rodis, was one such candidate.  


Regrettably, I had fallen out of the main competition to become a Saintess in my homeland.  


It was then that Saintess Orianna-sama spoke to me.  


“Sara, I command you to study abroad at Lykeion Magic Academy.”  


“…I humbly accept your command.”  


The orders of a Saintess are absolute. Thus, I was sent from my homeland to a place called the Labyrinth City, located in a remote region. But it couldn’t be helped. Despite being a nun, I was poor at healing magic.  


Instead, my strength lay in wielding a sword. Honestly, for a nun to be unable to use healing magic effectively is rare in the worst way. As a Saintess Candidate, I was a failure.  


“Lykeion Magic Academy will bring you valuable encounters and experiences. Strive diligently.”  


“…Yes, Saintess-sama.”  


To be honest, I wasn’t thrilled, but following Saintess Orianna-sama’s orders, I set off to study at Lykeion Magic Academy, the premier institution of the southern continent.  


◇  


(…What an incredible group of people.)  


Lykeion Magic Academy, said to gather the greatest talents from across the southern continent.  


The rumors were no exaggeration.  


Children of high priests from the allied nations of the [Holy Alliance]. Heirs to the commanders of the Temple Knights.  


Princes, princesses, and children of great nobles from the numerous nations of the [Blue Sea Federation].  


From the continent’s largest nation, the [Grenflair Empire], came noble children and numerous officer candidates for the Imperial Army.  


Those with rare talents were gathered in a special class called the [Hero Course].  


At the entrance ceremony for new students, I was astonished by the caliber of talent. As I observed the other students, I noticed something.  


(…Could that boy over there be…?)  


A single male student, not particularly standing out.  


He stood alone, not mingling with anyone, his expression dark.  


But his face was familiar.  


The son of the [Emperor’s Sword], said to be the right-hand man of the current Emperor of the Grenflair Empire—the strongest warrior in the Empire.  


I had assumed he would be in the [Hero Course], but surprisingly, he was enrolled in the [General Course].  


Having received secret orders from Saintess-sama to investigate key figures from the rival Grenflair Empire as much as possible, I approached him as naturally as I could.  


“Pleased to meet you. I am Sara Iglesia Rodis, from the Holy Kingdom of Cardia in the [Holy Alliance]. And you are?”  


“…Eugene Santafield. From the Empire.”  


The boy answered in a low, somber voice.  


(Santafield! No doubt about it—he’s the son of the Empire’s greatest swordsman!)  


With clever words, I managed to join the same exploration team as him. At the time, however, Eugene seemed utterly devoid of spirit. Honestly, I thought he was a dull boy.  


…But I soon realized how mistaken I was.  


“A pack of monsters, Eugene!”  


“…Yeah, looks like it.”  


On the fifth floor of the Zenith Tower, we were ambushed by a pack of ash wolves.  


Having trained as a nun skilled in combat in the Holy Kingdom of Cardia, I was confident in my swordsmanship. In the blink of an eye, I cut down three ash wolves and turned around with a slightly smug expression.  


There stood Eugene, looking bored, having defeated over ten ash wolves.  


“Y-You’ve already defeated that many, Eugene!?”  


“…My weapon broke. Let’s call it a day for this exploration.”  


He wasn’t even sweating, and in his hand was nothing but a [wooden stick]—not even a proper sword.  


“Why don’t you use a proper weapon?”  


“…I’ve given up on becoming a swordsman.”  


He said this with a lonely expression. My heart skipped a beat at the sight of his profile.  


(…He’s so strong, yet… what could have happened to him?)  


Before I knew it, I wanted to learn more about Eugene—not for the mission from my homeland, but for my own reasons.  


It was a little later that I heard about how he had been abandoned by his childhood friend.  


“What a terrible childhood friend! To say such things to you when you’re feeling down!”  


I was genuinely furious when I heard the story.  


“It can’t be helped. She’s aiming to become Emperor. Cutting off someone as talentless as me is the right move.”  


Eugene replied with a dark expression.  


“It’s okay! Back in my homeland, I was an oddball too—a nun who’s better with a sword than healing magic! We’re kindred spirits!”  


When I said this to cheer him up, Eugene gave a small smile.  


Fortunately, I received orders from my homeland to grow closer to the son of the [Emperor’s Sword].  


In particular, Saintess Orianna-sama gave me an unusual directive: “Get close to him by any means necessary.”  


By then, word had reached the Holy Kingdom that Eugene had been deemed a failure in the Empire’s [Rite of Selection], labeled a magic swordsman with zero attack power. It was a strange order.  


While the other Saintesses suggested that there was no need to focus so much on Eugene, Saintess Orianna-sama insisted I continue to build a relationship with him.  


Following her advice, she suggested I form a partner contract with Eugene. I jumped at the idea.  


“Hey, Eugene, why don’t we officially form a partner contract?”  


“With me…? Wouldn’t someone like you have better options, Sara?”  


“No way! I want to team up with you!”  


That was my true feeling.  


“…I see.”  


At that time, Eugene was still lacking energy.  


He was reluctant to agree to my proposal.  


But somehow, I managed to persuade him, and I was thrilled when he agreed.  


“S-So, Sara, are we really doing this?”  


“Y-Yes, we need this for the contract.”  


It was an old contract ritual. These days, such ceremonies aren’t always performed for contracts, but I insisted, saying, “This is the custom of the Holy Kingdom of Cardia.”  


The location was a small goddess chapel within the academy.  


By the statue of Ira-sama, the Goddess of Fate, Eugene and I sealed our contract.  




However, a [zero-attack-power swordsman] and a [nun poor at healing magic] made for an awkward duo.  


Our labyrinth explorations didn’t progress much, and we were often mocked with comments like, “Even the son of the [Emperor’s Sword] and a Saintess Candidate aren’t much.”  


Even so, I had fun.  


Compared to my homeland, where I was constantly judged against other Saintess Candidates and forced to maintain impeccable conduct even while sleeping, life here felt far more liberating.  


In the convent, interactions with the opposite sex were strictly limited, but at Lykeion Magic Academy, romance was free.  


I secretly hoped, “Maybe when Eugene heals from the pain of his childhood friend’s rejection, he’ll confess to me?”  


It was around that time.  


“…That concludes my report, Saintess-sama.”  


In a room in the girls’ dormitory at Lykeion Magic Academy, where soundproofing magic ensured no risk of eavesdropping, I completed my weekly report to my homeland via communication magic.  


On the other side of the screen, the supreme leaders of the Holy Kingdom of Cardia, the [Eight Saintesses], gazed at me.  


It was always a tense moment. But just as I thought it was over—  


“Sara, we have a gift for you.”  


One of the Saintesses spoke through the magically projected screen. Suddenly, a magic circle appeared in the room, and a single white sword was teleported in.  


“This is…?”  


“It is our nation’s treasured sword, [Kurtana]. Also known as the [Sword of Mercy]. We bestow it upon you.”  


“…!? This is the legendary…?”  


[Kurtana], the treasured sword of the Holy Kingdom of Cardia. A legendary weapon said to have slain one of the [Calamity Beasts], designated as a [Natural Disaster], hundreds of years ago. To think such a thing would be given to me…? Even the other Saintesses on the screen seemed taken aback.  


“You struggle with healing magic, don’t you? This sword will compensate for that. And you are to transfer to the [Hero Course] immediately.”  


“Oh, what a splendid idea!”  


“Indeed, it’s unbecoming for a Saintess Candidate like Sara to remain in the [General Course].”  


“We can’t let the [Blue Sea Federation] or the Empire look down on us.”  


“N-No, wait…!”  


As the Oracle of Fate spoke, the other Saintesses followed suit. I was the only one panicking.  


If this happened, I wouldn’t be able to continue my party with Eugene!  


Normally, students in the [General Course] and [Hero Course] don’t form parties together.  


“What’s the matter, Sara?”  


“Um… is this… decided?”  


“Are you dissatisfied, Sara?”  


The Saintesses’ gazes bore into me through the communication magic, filled with authority.  


“…No, I am grateful for your consideration.”  


In the end, I swallowed my words. Thus, with the treasured sword in hand, I became a [Holy Knight] and transferred to the [Hero Course].  


Unable to defy the advice of the Hero Course instructors or the orders from my homeland, I had to disband my two-person party with Eugene.  


…I truly wanted to continue my party with him.  


“Eugene… I’m sorry.”  


“It’s fine. Moving from the General Course to the Hero Course is an honor, isn’t it?”  


By then, Eugene had regained a bit of his energy and congratulated me on my transfer.  


“If you ever decide to challenge a floor boss, call me! No matter what!”  


“Got it, Sara.”  


Eugene said this with a slightly lonely expression.  


(He’s sad to part with me… I feel the same! But I’ll come back for you someday!)  


Though reluctant, I prioritized my duties as a Saintess Candidate.  


My achievements were recognized, and I was invited to join the student council executive committee. Alongside others from my homeland, like Theresia-san, I participated and was fortunate enough to be chosen as student council president. Becoming the student council president of Lykeion Magic Academy was a significant accomplishment toward becoming a Saintess, and I was greatly praised by my homeland.  


Even so, being separated from Eugene always felt lonely.  


But surely, Eugene felt the same way.  


(Wait for me, Eugene!)  


My plan was to conquer the hundredth floor, become an A-rank explorer, and, once my duties as student council president were complete, reform a party with Eugene.  


Eugene, however, remained listless.  


Still, I believed that when he finally regained his drive, I would be the one by his side.  


(…And yet… how could this happen?)  


I stared in disbelief at the broadcast device, watching footage of Eugene forming a party with another girl.


——.

(T/N: Credit Kaori Translations for providing the raws for this series.)

Support the series by buying the ko-fi


ToC

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment