Sword Saint Story: Starting from Zero Attack Power ~After being abandoned by my childhood friend, the princess, I enrolls in a magic school and ends up making a contract with the Demon Lord~ Volume 2 Chapter 3
Chapter 3 Eugene is pressured by the Student Council President
“Euuugene!!! Why haven’t you come to see me!?”
My old adventuring party comrade, Sara, flung herself at me, wrapping her arms around me tightly. As the student council president and an important figure in the Holy Kingdom of Cardia, Sara always maintains a composed demeanor with other students. But with me, she’s relentlessly clingy.
Despite being an elite in the Hero Course at Lykeion Magic Academy, I keep telling her, “Please forget about me,” but she just retorts, “Why would you say something so cold!” and doesn’t seem to get it.
Normally, I’d wait for her to calm down, but today, I’m supposed to go exploring with Sumire. I can’t spend all day dealing with Sara. As I was pondering what to say, Sumire beat me to it.
“Um, Sara-san, the student council president, right?”
Sara briefly glanced at Sumire before turning her gaze back to me. Wait, did she just ignore her? Sumire’s face twitched with irritation.
“Hey, Eugene? Are you listening?”
“Y-Yeah, I’m listening. But Sumire was trying to—”
“I’ve been waiting for you forever! So, do you have time now? I’ve reached the 90th floor, but I’m feeling a bit stuck. You’ve fought a divine beast, right, Eugene? So let’s exchange info! I’m sure I can share something useful for you!”
She rattled on with incredible energy.
“No, Sara, I’m actually busy with something else—”
“Sara-san! We’re heading to the 31st floor of the ‘Zenith Tower’ right now. Can this wait!?” Sumire cut in, her voice loud and firm.
This time, even Sara couldn’t ignore her. Her expression cooled, and she turned her sharp gaze toward Sumire.
“…”
“…”
For a few seconds, the two locked eyes. Then Sara spoke.
“Sorry, Sumire-san. We’re in the middle of an important conversation. Could you wait?”
“Hey, Sara,” I interjected. That’s not fair—she’s the one who barged in! Sumire’s annoyed expression shifted to a blank one. Oh no… she’s pissed.
(This calls for a warning to Sara.)
Just as I made up my mind, Sumire grabbed my arm.
“Hey, Eugene-kun! Forget this old party member and let’s go exploring~☆”
She yanked me away, pulling me toward the labyrinth’s elevator. Sara’s grip on me broke.
“W-Wait! Hold on!” Sara hurriedly grabbed my other arm.
“Can you let go? We’re kinda busy,” Sumire said sharply.
“Sumire-san! Eugene and I share an unbreakable bond! Some newcomer can’t just butt in!” Sara shot back.
“Oh? But didn’t you grow distant from Eugene-kun after transferring to the Hero Course? And now you’re back just because he defeated a divine beast? Wow, that’s kinda shady~”
“Hey, Sumire…” I muttered, as Sara’s face paled at her words.
“Tch, that’s not true! I kept my distance because people would hassle Eugene if a Hero Course student like me was seen with a General Course student like him. I was being considerate! But even if we’re apart, Eugene and I are still connected by our hearts! You’re just some girl he’s babysitting, so don’t act all high and mighty!”
“…What!?” Sumire’s expression shifted at Sara’s words.
“…”
“…”
The two glared at each other, like two cats hissing up close. This wasn’t good.
“Both of you, calm down—”
“I’m perfectly calm, Eugene-kun.”
“Eugene, just stay quiet.”
Still glaring, they both raised a hand to silence me. Sumire broke the standoff first.
“Sara-san, Eugene-kun is my partner. If you have business with him, go through me.”
“Partner? That’s recent, isn’t it? I’ve been in a party with Eugene since we started at the academy. Our history runs deeper than yours.”
“Didn’t that party disband in less than six months?”
“Guh! That’s why I’m here to start over! Stay out of it, Sumire-san.”
“Sorry, but Eugene-kun’s teammate is already decided—it’s me.”
“Eugene is the son of the empire’s greatest warrior, the Sword of the Emperor. If anyone’s suited to be his teammate, it’s me, a saintess candidate!”
“I’m from another world, so I don’t really get all that.”
“Just let it go! I won’t allow Eugene to be in a two-person party with you!”
“I don’t need your permission, Sara-san!”
“Stop clinging to my Eugene, Sumire-san!”
“C-Clinging!? I’m not clinging!”
“Liar! You were holding onto his arm the whole time before entering the ‘Zenith Tower’!”
“Well, then why do you keep throwing yourself at Eugene-kun every single time!?”
“T-That’s… my business, isn’t it!?”
“…”
“…”
Their argument showed no signs of stopping. I stood there, dumbfounded. I’ve known Sara since we started at the academy, but I’d never seen her so openly emotional. I knew Sumire was expressive, but this was the first time I’d seen her direct such anger at someone.
(My, my, a fight over Eugene, huh? Being a popular guy is tough~)
As I stood there stunned, a voice suddenly echoed in my head. No need to guess—it was the Demon King, Ellie.
(Hey, Ellie, what do I do in a situation like this?)
(…Huh? You’re asking me of all people?)
(Please help!)
(…Hmm, let’s see~)
I turned to Ellie, who seemed like she’d have plenty of romantic experience.
(Why not embrace both of them?)
(…Never mind, I’ll figure it out myself.)
Right, Ellie’s a fallen angel. I can’t trust her advice. Sara and Sumire’s argument was still raging. Then, I felt an odd gaze on us.
The other adventurers nearby were watching our squabble with amusement, but there was another presence. A floating spherical magical device—the ‘Labyrinth’s Eye’, which broadcasts footage from the ‘Zenith Tower’ to the academy.
Was this being watched by the other students?
“I’ve even kissed Eugene before, Sumire-san. Have you?” Sara suddenly declared.
“……………What?”
“What?”
I’d been half-listening to their bickering, but that line snapped me back. Sumire looked at me, her face screaming betrayal. Cold sweat ran down my back.
“N-No, Sumire, it’s not like that! When I formed a party with Sara, she said it was a custom for partnering with a saintess candidate. It was just that one time—”
“Ohhh, yes… that passionate kiss is still unforgettable~” Sara said dreamily, her cheeks flushed.
Sumire stared at her, her expression unreadable.
“Hmph, looks like I win,” Sara declared triumphantly.
“Ugh…” Sumire grit her teeth.
Win? What? Then Sumire glanced at me before turning back to Sara.
“Well, I spent an entire night with Eugene-kun in the same tent!”
“……………What?” Sara’s eyes widened.
“E-Eugene… no way… you spent a whole night with her…?”
“Hmph, I got a good look at Eugene-kun’s sleeping face too~ Oh, has Sara-san never seen it~?”
Wait, she saw my sleeping face? I woke up first, so did she stay up later than me?
“…”
“…”
The two locked eyes again, their gazes dripping with tension, sweat beading on their cheeks. I wasn’t any better off. What were they going to say next? Sara spoke first.
“You’ll pay for this!!”
With that, she bolted away at breakneck speed.
“I won…” Sumire muttered, raising a fist in victory.
Was this… a competition?
(Hehe, what would happen if you told them about what you and I usually get up to, Eugene?)
(…Please, spare me.)
The thought alone was terrifying.
“Hey, Eugene-kun,” Sumire said softly, calling my name.
“What’s up, Sumire?”
“…Do you actually want to team up with Sara-san?”
“No, it’s not like that…”
Truthfully, I’d considered it a little. Sumire and I alone would eventually hit our limits. Having Sara join us would be a huge help. But after overhearing their argument, their compatibility seemed abysmal.
“Sorry, Sumire. This got weird because of me.”
“No way! Let’s just focus on exploring, okay?”
Sumire flashed a forced smile, and I returned one of my own. Still, as we set off for the 31st floor, our steps felt heavier than usual.
◇
◇◇ Lykeion Magic Academy – Physical Education Class
“Alright, you lot! Pair up!” the PE teacher barked.
This was a joint class with students from the General Course, Advanced Course, and Special Course. It wasn’t co-ed, so Sumire wasn’t here. I’m terrible at these pair-up activities. The reason’s obvious—I don’t have many friends. It always takes me forever to find a partner.
Maybe I’ll just ask whoever’s left. As I thought that—
“Yo! Let’s pair up, Eugene,” a familiar voice called.
“Claude, huh?”
A rare face. Hero Course students are usually exempt from attending classes as long as they pass the exams for credits, so Claude rarely shows up for PE. Still, it was nice to have a friend around. I paired up with him without hesitation. I noticed a large bandage on Claude’s cheek.
“What’s with your face?”
“Hm? Oh, this? …Got scratched by a cat.”
“A cat?”
“Yeah, a cat.”
No way a hero like Claude would get injured by a cat. He clearly didn’t want to talk about it, so I dropped it.
“Start sparring!” the teacher shouted.
The weapons were all wooden. Claude lunged with a spear thrust from my blind spot—pretty sharp. I sidestepped, letting it slide past, and pressed my sword to his neck.
“One point.”
I smirked, and Claude’s face twitched.
“Go easy on me, man!”
“I didn’t even use ‘Niten Enmei-ryu’.”
“Your swordsmanship’s just weird.”
“It’s not weird.”
We continued sparring, chatting casually.
“Hey, Eugene,” Claude said.
“What?”
“You ever think about taking the Hero Course transfer exam?”
“Huh?”
“Gotcha!”
“Not so fast!”
I narrowly dodged Claude’s double spear thrust. Close call. I stepped back to create distance.
“What’s this about transferring, Claude?”
“It’s the talk of the Hero Course. A swordsman who soloed a divine beast doesn’t belong in the General Course, right?”
“No plans to transfer.”
“Why not?” Claude looked puzzled.
“You know why. Without Sumire’s magic, my attack power’s zero. I’d never pass the exam.”
“Then transfer with Sumire-chan. She’s a fire godkin, right? She’d ace it.”
“…Hmm.”
With Sumire, huh? I thought about it briefly but shook my head.
“Nah, it wouldn’t work. Sumire can’t control her magic yet. She’d probably cause an explosion during the exam.”
“…Fair point,” Claude conceded.
As we talked, a group of students approached us.
“Eugene Santafield. We need to talk,” one of them said.
I recognized him. He carried a sword at his waist.
“You’re… from the Swordsmanship Club. Orvo, right?”
“Yes. Orvo Backel, third-ranked in the Swordsmanship Club.”
The Swordsmanship Club, the academy’s largest faction, ranks its members by strength to foster competition. Orvo was, if I recalled, the top swordsman in our year.
“I bring a message from the club president: ‘Join the Swordsmanship Club. We’ll make room for you in the First Squad. It’s the fastest way to reach the 500th floor.’”
“No, I—”
“Hmph! I was against it! You wouldn’t keep up with the First Squad’s level!” Orvo sneered.
What’s his deal? He clearly didn’t want to deliver this message. The club president must’ve picked the wrong messenger.
“Thanks for the offer, but we’re exploring at our own pace, so I’ll pass on joining.”
“Hah! Scared, huh? We’re about to clear the 200th floor—”
This guy’s so provocative. Fine, I’ll bite.
“Let’s settle who’s scared at the Lykeion Magic Academy ‘Unified Tournament’. I’ll enter as a magic swordsman. We’ll see who’s better then.”
“…What did you say?”
Orvo’s eyes glinted dangerously.
“You’re not backing out, are you?”
“I’ll crush you!!”
With that, Orvo stormed off with his entourage. He’s quick to provoke but can’t handle it himself, apparently.
“Man, Eugene, you’re catching attention everywhere,” Claude said, exasperated.
“Am I?”
I wasn’t really aware of it. I barely interact with the Swordsmanship Club normally.
“Even the student council’s enforcement team has it out for you.”
“That’s… probably because of Sara.”
Mentioning her brought back the memory of her argument with Sumire. Claude, seeming to recall it too, grinned.
“I saw it on the broadcast, Eugene. Sumire-chan and Sara-chan were intense.”
“You saw that?”
“So, who’re you picking?”
“It’s not like that.”
Sara hasn’t shown up since, but I had a feeling she’d be back. Maybe I should go see her? But the student council room’s a hassle…
“Two gorgeous girls after you, and you haven’t made a move? What a waste,” Claude teased.
“I’m Sumire’s guardian, and Sara’s a saintess candidate. I can’t just mess around with them.”
“C’mon, this is Lykeion Magic Academy. Everyone’s equal here, technically. And you’re from a pretty high-ranking imperial family, so what’s the harm?”
“My family code says I have to take responsibility for any woman I get involved with. I don’t do casual.”
“You’re too serious, Eugene. Live a little! Meet more girls. Want me to introduce you to some?”
“No thanks. Leave me alone.”
Our pointless banter continued as PE class ended. I’d never admit it, but I was a tiny bit jealous of Claude’s carefree lifestyle.
◇
◇◇ A Few Days Later
Today, we’d resume exploring from the 36th floor. The goal was to reach the 40th floor’s boss in five days. I waited for Sumire at the entrance of the ‘Zenith Tower’. The area was bustling with adventurers meeting their teams and merchants peddling magic tools, weapons, and armor. I brushed off a few sales pitches while waiting.
Right on time, Sumire came running, waving. But her expression wasn’t calm.
“Eugene-kun!! Big trouble!!”
“What’s wrong, Sumire?” I asked.
“Um, well… how do I say this? I don’t want to badmouth your friend, but… no, it’s not a pun! It’s just, uh…”
“Calm down, Sumire.”
“Thanks, I’m good now,” she said, taking a deep breath.
“So, what happened?”
“It’s about Claude-kun…”
“What about him?”
Sumire’s close to Claude since she helps care for his dragon in the Biology Club. He’s even offered to join our party as a helper, though I haven’t mentioned that to Sumire yet. They don’t interact much otherwise, so what’s this about?
“Claude-kun’s two-timing Leona-chan and Theresia-san!!!”
“…Huh?”
That was some scandalous news, way out of left field.
◇
◇◇ The Next Day
“Yo, Eugene, Sumire-chan! Let’s tackle the 38th floor!” Claude said with a bright grin.
“Sumire-san, Eugene-san, looking forward to today,” Leona added, standing beside him.
Today, Sumire and I were exploring the 38th floor, joined by Claude and Leona.
“Leona-chan, is it okay to skip the Body Arts Club?” Sumire asked.
“Yeah, after that incident, the Body Arts team’s taking a break from exploring,” Leona replied.
“Oh, right…”
Leona’s team from the Body Arts Club’s third squad had encountered the ‘Divine Beast Cerberus’ and got wiped out. Luckily, it was a low floor, so the ‘Resurrection Droplet’ revived them, but it was a bitter memory for Leona as their leader. Still, the third squad members didn’t seem too fazed, occasionally inviting me to explore again during joint training.
“Let’s go,” I called to the group.
Though Claude, who’s cleared the 100th floor, outranks us, I’m the leader for this expedition. The floors above the 30th are a swampy area. We navigated the treacherous terrain, searching for the stairs to the next floor. The monsters here—lizardmen and other swamp-dwellers—use the environment to their advantage, so we had to stay sharp. But Claude and Leona handled them effortlessly.
“You’ve been to the 38th floor before, huh, Leona?” I asked, noting her skill.
“Yep. I’ve been up to the 50th, but that was following Body Arts Club seniors. This is my first time exploring with such a small group.”
“No kidding,” Claude chimed in. “You and Sumire-chan made it this far with just the two of you? Haven’t the labyrinth staff tried to stop you?”
He sounded half-amazed, half-concerned. Exploring with just two people this high up—nearing the 40th floor—is unheard of.
“That’s my fault… my magic goes wild and causes trouble for others,” Sumire muttered.
“We’ll figure it out if it becomes a problem,” I said lightly. Truthfully, I was confident we could handle this floor with just the two of us, even if Claude and Leona were here for a reason.
“But lately, I’ve been getting better at magic! I even made friends in magic class!” Sumire added brightly.
“Nice, Sumire-chan!” Leona said. “It’s like when I teach you body arts.”
Their conversation drifted over. Wait, that topic might be risky.
“Who’s this magic friend? Anyone I know?” Leona asked casually.
“…”
Sumire froze. Yeah, she can’t say the name.
“Monster presence! Everyone, stay sharp!” I cut in, diverting the topic. The monsters were still a bit away, but I jumped the gun on purpose.
“Hey, Eugene, isn’t the monster presence still pretty far?” Claude asked.
(Claude, the one teaching Sumire magic is Theresia.)
(!? …Got it.)
I whispered so only Claude could hear. He caught on instantly and helped steer the conversation away. We cleared the 38th floor without a hitch.
◇
◇◇ The Next Day
We were set to explore the 39th floor today.
“Sumire-san, looking forward to working with you,” Theresia said, standing beside Claude at the meeting spot.
“T-Theresia-san! You’re exploring with us today?” Sumire asked, surprised.
“Yes. Since Claude-kun’s joining, I thought I’d help out too.”
“…”
Claude looked extremely uncomfortable. Theresia, meanwhile, was her usual cool self—maybe even a bit more cheerful than normal.
(Hey, Claude, what’s going on?)
(She saw us exploring yesterday.)
Oh, boy…
(So, what do Leona and Theresia think of each other?)
(…I think they’re about to find out I’m two-timing.)
(It hasn’t been found out yet!?)
How did he think exploring together was a good idea?
(I thought it’d work out somehow~)
Claude’s optimism was reckless.
(Clean up your mess already.)
(I kinda want to keep dating both of them.)
(Dude, you’re gonna get stabbed someday.)
His carefree attitude was worrying.
(They both like me, Eugene. How could I choose?)
(Just pick one!)
“You’re too rigid, Eugene. A real man accepts women’s affections.”
(Two-timing’s a bad idea, man.)
Our views on love were clearly worlds apart. I didn’t press further. With the help of Claude the Hero and Theresia the Sage-in-training, we cleared the 39th floor without issue.
◇◇ The Following Day
“…Huh?”
“…What?”
At the entrance of the ‘Zenith Tower’, where we were supposed to meet, neither Claude, Leona, nor Theresia was present. Instead, standing there was a beautiful girl with long, glossy black hair and jewel-like blue eyes. The emblem of the “Student Council President” gleamed on the chest of her Lykeion Magic Academy exploration uniform.
It was Sara, adjusting her hair while looking into a mirror. Sumire, standing beside me, visibly tensed.
“Eugene!”
Spotting me, Sara’s face lit up with a radiant smile as she moved to throw her arms around me.
“Why is Sara-san here?” Sumire interjected, swiftly stepping between us.
For a moment, Sara’s expression stiffened, but she quickly regained her composed demeanor.
“Oh, Sumire-san. Good day to you.”
“Hello, Sara-san. Not ignoring me today, huh?” Sumire quipped.
“Of course not. After all, we’re exploration party comrades now, aren’t we?”
“…Comrades?” Sumire and I tilted our heads in unison.
“Where’s Claude?” I asked.
Originally, we’d asked Claude to join us as backup for today’s battle against the 40th floor’s Floor Master. To avoid going in blind, we’d been exploring the previous floors together. Today was the big day, but…
“Claude-kun can’t make it,” Sara said.
“Did something happen?”
Claude’s a bit of a flirt, but he keeps his promises. For him to bail on the day of…
“His two-timing got exposed,” Sara revealed.
“Ohhh,” Sumire and I said in unison, nodding in understanding. Of all days for it to come out…
“For Claude-kun’s honor, I’ll say he tried to prioritize his promise with you, Eugene-kun. But I stopped him and offered to step in instead.”
“Ugh, I wish Claude-kun had come instead,” Sumire said bluntly.
Sara shot her a sharp “Tch!” glare, which Sumire returned. Come on, both of you, stop acting like kids.
“Theresia-san, Claude-kun’s girlfriend, is my best friend,” Sara continued. “She seems gentle, but she’s got a strong core—surprisingly fiery, you could say…”
“And Leona-chan’s just as stubborn. She wouldn’t back down either, right?” Sumire added.
I cautiously asked, “…What’s happening right now?”
“Theresia-san and Leona-chan are in a full-on showdown. No one but Claude-kun can stop it,” Sara replied.
I clutched my head and sighed. I’d have words with Claude later. For now, we had to focus on today’s plan.
“So it’s just the three of us today. Let’s do this.”
“Of course, Eugene. Leave it to me. Sumire-san, stay back in case your magic goes wild,” Sara said.
“Eugene-kun’s sword only works with my magic, so Sara-san, you’d better stay clear to avoid getting burned when my magic flares up~” Sumire retorted.
“Hehe, thank you for your concern, little thief,” Sara said with a smile.
“Haha, aren’t we comrades now, ex-comrade-san~☆” Sumire shot back.
Both were smiling, but their eyes were ice-cold. The party already had a massive rift. My headache was getting worse. Could we really take on the 40th Floor Master with this lineup?
Still, Sumire and I had prepared thoroughly, and Sara, a Hero Course student, had already cleared the 40th floor once. We should be fine… probably. I pressed the button for the ‘Labyrinth Elevator’ to the 40th floor.
◇
◇◇ Lykeion Magic Academy – Seventh Sealed Prison: Taboo
“You look exhausted, Eugene,” Ellie remarked.
“…Yeah, I guess,” I replied.
We’d successfully defeated the 40th Floor Master and then handled my Biology Club duties. My body was screaming from the strain, and I collapsed onto Ellie’s bed in the Demon King’s cage, utterly spent.
The soft, fluffy bed threatened to pull my consciousness under.
“Hey, Eugene, you falling asleep?” Ellie asked. Instead of her usual teasing pounce, she gently patted my head, showing concern.
“…Nah, I’ll get up. Still got work to do.”
“Forget that. Rest for a bit. Great job beating the Floor Master! ☆” Ellie’s tone was unusually kind.
“You’re being nice today.”
“How rude! I’m always nice,” she said, smiling as she stroked my hair.
The battle against the 40th Floor Master flashed through my mind. It was a massive minotaur-like beast. With Sumire’s fire godkin magic enhancing my sword and Sara’s holy sword magic, we barely managed to take it down. But the 40th floor was no joke—our small party was starting to feel the strain.
We hadn’t expanded our party beyond temporary help from Claude or Sara. Our firepower was hitting its limit. As if reading my thoughts, Ellie spoke up.
“…Don’t you think it’s about time you used the Demon King’s power? I’ll train you when you’re up.”
It was like she saw right through me.
◇
◇◇ Sara’s Perspective
Sumire-san. A girl from another world, and Eugene’s current partner. I’d joined their party as a helper.
“Hah!”
Sumire-san unleashed a spinning back kick, sending a charging lizardman flying. Not only that—BOOM!—the monster exploded into flames upon impact, engulfing nearby enemies in a blazing inferno.
(‘High Fire Magic: Storm of Flames’)
The destructive power was staggering. Even a professional mage would struggle to match it. Apparently, Sumire-san triggered it automatically.
(‘Magic Fist: Wuwei Style’)
Theresia-san, who’s been teaching her magic, explained it. Due to her unique constitution, Sumire-san’s magic activates just by moving her body or getting emotional—an ultimate state achieved only by those who’ve mastered both magic and martial arts. As a fire godkin, she was born with this gift. And that wasn’t all…
(She’s so beautiful…)
As someone who dabbles in magic, I could tell. Her mana was pure, unlike anything a human could produce, radiating from her entire being.
“Phew…” Sumire-san wiped her sweat and brushed her hair back, sparks of red mana bursting around her like embers.
She looked like a mythical fire spirit from ancient times, captivating even to me, a fellow woman.
“Sumire, you’ve improved,” Eugene said.
“Right? Yay! ☆” Sumire-san beamed, high-fiving Eugene with a smile as bright as a blooming flower.
(Jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous, jealous…)
My feelings must’ve shown on my face because Sumire-san gave me a puzzled look.
“…What is it, Sara-san?”
“Your magic’s too powerful. You’ll end up hurting those around you,” I said.
“Ugh, so noisy… (mutter) Fine, I’ll be careful~”
“What was that?”
“Nothing~”
“I heard you. Memory problems, huh?”
“Calm down, Sara. Sumire’s magic is getting better,” Eugene interjected as our bickering heated up.
“You’re just spoiling her, Eugene,” I shot back.
“Eugene-kun says it’s fine. You’re too nitpicky, Sara-san,” Sumire retorted.
And so, the usual tense atmosphere settled in. We glared at each other.
(Still…)
Even her angry face was cute. She had the beauty of a princess, with expressive, ever-changing emotions and a mystical aura unique to fire godkin. Rumor had it her popularity was quietly rising among the academy students.
(With that kind of charm…)
Even I, her rival, could see it. If we weren’t competing over Eugene, I’d want to be her friend, to get closer. With a silent sigh, I maintained the detached expression I’d learned at the monastery and continued exploring. On the surface, we peacefully cleared the 41st floor.
◇
◇◇ Sumire’s Perspective
Today, we were exploring the 42nd floor with the same trio: me, Eugene-kun, and Sara-san. The 42nd floor continued the swampy terrain from the 30th floor, but the mud was getting deeper. As a novice explorer, I was struggling to keep up with Eugene-kun and Sara-san.
“Sumire, want to slow down a bit?” Eugene-kun asked.
“No, I’m fine!” I said, putting on a brave face.
I couldn’t afford to show weakness when our goal was the 500th floor.
“Hold up, Sumire, Sara! Monsters!” Eugene-kun called.
“Man-eating eagles. They’re targeting us,” Sara-san said, looking up.
A massive bird, larger than a horse, circled above us. From the 40th floor, flying monsters started appearing. Neither Eugene-kun nor I could handle long-range attacks. Well, I could use magic, but my aim’s so bad I’d never hit a distant target.
“Leave it to me,” Sara-san said, readying her colorful magic sword.
“Answer me, ‘Sword of Mercy’!”
The sword glowed in response, and seven radiant blades of light materialized around her, making her look like a fairy of light.
“Pierce… ‘Holy Sword Magic: Blades of Light’!”
With a murmur, the blades shot out like flashes of light, striking the monster.
(So beautiful…)
Even as a girl, Sara-san’s light-wreathed figure made my heart skip. The man-eating eagle fell without even a death cry.
“Impressive,” Eugene-kun said.
“Right? Praise me more!” Sara-san chirped, her elegance vanishing as she fawned over Eugene-kun like a puppy.
(…Talk about a personality switch.)
She was so captivating, I doubted any guy could resist her.
(…Sigh.)
Sara-san seemed genuinely happy with Eugene-kun. A top-tier explorer from the Hero Course and the student council president—she was someone I should get along with.
(But…)
When it came to Eugene-kun, we just couldn’t see eye to eye. I needed to fix this somehow. Trying not to let my emotions show, I continued exploring. We cleared the 42nd floor without issue.
◇
◇◇ Eugene’s Perspective
Today, we were tackling the 45th floor.
“Looking forward to it, Sara-san.”
“Likewise, Sumire-san.”
Sumire and Sara, who’d been at odds initially, were now civil, greeting each other with smiles.
“…”
“…”
But that was where the conversation ended. They’d talk to me, but not each other. We were far from a cohesive party.
(I need to do something…)
Telling them to get along wouldn’t fix this. The root cause… was me. So, I figured the only way was to keep exploring together and let them bond naturally. With Sumire’s fire magic and Sara’s holy sword magic, we tore through monsters effortlessly.
(At this rate, the 50th floor’s in sight…)
My current explorer rank was C, given to those who’ve cleared floors 11 to 49. Clearing the 50th floor would make me a B-rank explorer, a step up. The 50th floor was a “trial” floor. It might be time to test that power.
ROOOOARRRR!
A ferocious beast’s roar shook the air.
“Eek!” Sumire gasped.
“Eugene!” Sara screamed.
Charging toward us was a black griffin, as large as a small dragon. Rare—a beast like that could be a Floor Master.
“Sumire-san, fall back!”
“But!”
“Griffins pick off prey one by one! If it grabs and eats you, even ‘Resurrection Droplet’ won’t help!”
“What about you, Sara-san!?”
“…I’ve fought one before.”
Sara’s face was tense. Griffins were highly intelligent and feared by explorers. The black wind of a griffin surged toward us, then suddenly ascended.
“‘Holy Sword Magic: Blades of Light’!” Sara unleashed her magic.
But the griffin nimbly dodged and swiped its claws at her.
“Kyaa!” Clang!
I jumped between them, parrying the griffin’s claws.
“Thank you, Eugene!”
“Eugene-kun, use my magic!” Sumire called, running toward me.
My sword’s imbued magic was running low. After a moment’s thought, I said, “I’ll handle this. Both of you, stay back.”
“Eugene! Fighting alone is reckless!”
“Eugene-kun! Let’s fight together!”
“I’ll be fine.”
Ignoring their protests, I locked eyes with the griffin circling above, clearly sizing me up as its first target.
(Perfect chance to test it.)
I readied my sword and muttered inwardly:
‘Magic Sword: Dark Blade’
The red mana from Sumire’s fire godkin was overwritten by the Demon King’s black mana.
‘Barrier Magic: Heartsteel’
I shielded my mind with barrier magic to avoid being consumed by the Demon King’s power. The griffin hesitated for a split second. Too late.
‘Niten Enmei Ryu: Wind Form – Sky Step’
I closed the distance instantly.
ROOOOARRRR!
The griffin roared, slashing its claws as I entered its range.
‘Niten Enmei Ryu: Fire Form – Lion Slash’
In an instant, the griffin’s head and body separated, one wing severed. Its massive form crashed to the ground.
(The Demon King’s mana is incredible…)
I dispelled the magic sword, and the blade crumbled to dust.
(Not as exhausting as fighting the divine beast, but the opponent was weaker this time. The weapon breaking after one use is still a problem.)
“Eugene!”
“Eugene-kun!”
As I reflected, Sumire and Sara threw their arms around me.
“What was that!?”
“Eugene-kun, that wasn’t my mana, was it!?”
“It was, wasn’t it, Sumire-san?”
“Yeah, I can tell.”
“It did feel… like some terrifying power, different from Sumire-san’s…”
Sumire’s instincts were sharp, and Sara, a holy cleric from Cardia, likely sensed something off.
“It’s a new magic sword technique I learned. I used it once against the ‘Divine Beast Cerberus’, but haven’t practiced since. I’m not great with it yet,” I explained honestly, omitting the Demon King contract. Ellie assured me her concealment was perfect, so it should be fine.
“Oh! …Wait, does that mean you don’t need my mana anymore…?” Sumire looked anxious.
“No way. Look, the sword breaks after one use, and I get sluggish from the fatigue. It’s just a trump card.”
“R-Really?”
“Hey, Eugene, you’re not pushing yourself too hard, are you? You okay?”
“Yeah, you look pale!”
“I’m fine… but let’s call it a day.”
I told them, and we descended the ‘Zenith Tower’ via the elevator, disbanding for the day.
◇
◇◇ The Next Day
I took a break from exploring to rest my body after days of nonstop labyrinth diving. I had another goal, too.
“Guess I’ll stock up on swords…”
The Demon King’s mana destroyed my sword yesterday, and it’d likely happen again. I’d need about ten spares. I’d prefer to stick with one sword, but was there a weapon that could withstand her power?
As I left my room to head into town—
“Eugene-kun!”
“Eugene!”
Sumire and Sara approached. It was rare to see them together outside the labyrinth. Had they gotten closer?
“Sumire-san, I’m talking to Eugene.”
“I called him first!”
“I saw him first!”
Nope, not close at all.
“What’s up, you two?”
“I wanted to hang out with you, Eugene-kun…”
“I wanted to go into town with you, Eugene…”
Same goal, huh? Or maybe not—they seemed to have a reason they couldn’t.
“The labyrinth staff called for you, Eugene-kun.”
“They want you at the Labyrinth Guild headquarters, Eugene.”
“…Huh? Wonder what for?”
Explorers are required to answer guild summons. Buying swords would have to wait.
◇
◇◇ The Labyrinth Guild
The largest organization in the labyrinth city of Karaf, the guild runs everything related to the labyrinth. Merchants need guild permits, and taxes come from sales. The guild’s leader is King Uther. The guild building, larger than Lykeion’s campus, was always teeming with explorers.
“Heard there’s a legendary magic sword at the market!”
“Forget it, probably a fake.”
“Yo! You’re alive!”
“Obviously. Next time, I’ll crush that Floor Master!”
“Hey! This is all I get for my monster materials!?”
“I’m sorry, but the appraisal is accurate.”
The clamor of explorers filled the air. I made my way to the reception, approaching a less busy desk at the edge.
“Excuse me, is now a good time?”
“…Oh? Welcome to the Labyrinth Guild! How may I assist you?” The bored receptionist, fiddling with her hair, switched to a bright smile. Professional.
“I’m Eugene Santafield. I was summoned by the labyrinth staff. Here’s my explorer badge.”
I handed over my C-rank badge, which doubled as ID.
“Let me confirm. You’ve recently become a C-rank explorer, Eugene-san. Today’s appointment…!” Her expression shifted, and a “Closed” sign appeared on her desk.
Huh?
“Eugene-san! This way, please!”
Apparently, this wasn’t a reception matter. She led me to a second-floor meeting room and sat me on a pristine sofa.
“Please wait here!”
She scurried off, leaving me alone. With nothing to do, I studied a painting on the wall—a lone explorer with an odd weapon facing a massive monster.
“The record holder… Cristo.”
The legendary adventurer, the only one to reach the 500th floor—Sumire’s and my goal. I was nowhere near that, barely past the 45th floor. Cristo was eccentric, supposedly staying in the labyrinth for months despite the elevator.
(What kind of person was he…?)
Few records of him remained, shrouded in mystery. Maybe the city’s great library had something. As I pondered—
“Hey! Sorry to keep you waiting!”
The door burst open, and a tall woman in noble attire entered, a luxurious sword at her waist. I recognized her—she often stood by Headmaster Uther. One of the Twelve Knights under King Uther: ‘Flower Knight Isolde Tristan’.
I hadn’t expected someone this important. I stood and bowed.
“Isolde-sama. I’m Eugene Santafield.”
“Sorry for dragging you here. Relax, kid,” she said, sitting across from me.
She seemed at ease but had no openings—a true master. I waited for her to speak, but she just grinned, sizing me up.
“…Yes?”
“You’re the one who took down the ‘Divine Beast Cerberus’, right? How about showing me that magic swordsmanship at the guild’s training grounds?”
“No way, Isolde-sama! Twelve Knights can only train A-rank explorers or above! No special treatment!” the receptionist interrupted.
“So serious. Fine, let’s get to business,” Isolde said, handing me a document filled with fine print and numbers, stamped with the royal crest.
“What’s this?”
“The head of the divine beast you defeated sold at auction. This lists the amount after the guild’s commission.”
I scanned the document, my eyes catching a massive number at the bottom.
“…Two billion G?”
“After a 20% commission, your share is 1.6 billion G. Subtracting the ‘Resurrection Droplet’ you covered, it’s just over a billion. Any questions?”
The amount was staggering. Between caring for the Demon King, being Sumire’s guardian, and selling labyrinth materials, I had some savings, but this was another level.
“Who’d pay such an insane amount? It was auctioned, right?” I asked, suspecting some noble or royalty—maybe from the wealthy Sun Kingdom across the continent.
The answer surprised me.
“The Emperor of the Glenflare Empire. He couldn’t let a citizen’s achievement go unclaimed, right?”
“What?” The Emperor himself…?
“It’s not strange. Divine beast materials are rare, unseen for decades. They can be forged into powerful magic weapons, boosting the empire’s strength. Letting another nation have them was out of the question. Don’t you think?”
“…Yeah, that makes sense.”
It’d been over a year since I left the empire for Lykeion. I hadn’t returned, but knowing my divine beast materials would aid the empire felt… odd.
“Now, Eugene-kun,” Isolde’s tone shifted.
“Yes!”
“How’s it feel to become filthy rich as a student?”
“Uh, I don’t have any plans for it…”
Maybe exploration gear or spare swords, but I wasn’t hurting for money.
“I see. But others might not think that way.”
“…”
The ‘Zenith Tower’’s broadcast had exposed my victory over the divine beast, and news of this auction would spread among those in the know.
“So, I’ll hold onto your assets, especially the divine beast auction funds. Call me when you need them. This is to keep scammers at bay.”
“That’s… helpful.”
A student with that much money would attract trouble. But if Isolde, King Uther’s confidante, managed it, most would back off.
“Why go this far for me?”
We’d never met. My father, the ‘Sword of the Emperor’, held a noble title, but it wasn’t hereditary—passed down with each new emperor.
“I’d love to say it’s because you’re the ‘Sword of the Emperor’’s son,” Isolde sighed, “but this was King Uther’s idea. He said, ‘It’d be a shame if the auction money disrupted Eugene’s exploration, so I’ll manage it!’”
“King Uther himself!?” the receptionist squeaked.
I was just as shocked. Headmaster, don’t you have better things to do?
“No way we’d let His Majesty handle that. So, I lost a draw and got stuck with it. Haha!” Isolde laughed heartily. A lottery, huh…
“Why does King Uther favor Eugene-san so much?” the receptionist asked.
“Simple. He declared to the continent he’d surpass Uther by reaching the 500th floor. His Majesty loves challengers.”
“I know it’s a reckless goal,” I admitted.
My record was the 45th floor; Uther’s was 451. A tenfold gap.
“Heh, do you really think that? I’m rooting for you. Come to me if you need advice. Know where my house is?”
“Yes… the red castle in the noble district, right?”
“I don’t like that ‘noble district’ name, but yes. I’ll tell the guards about you. Bring friends if you want—I’d love to meet that otherworlder. His Majesty always brags about her.”
Isolde left, and the door closed. I exhaled, tension draining. Her presence as an S-rank explorer who’d cleared the 200th floor was overwhelming.
“Phew, that was intense,” the receptionist said.
“Yeah, surprising,” I agreed.
She approached, sitting right next to me on the sofa. …Too close?
“Hey, Eugene-san, do you have a labyrinth guide yet?”
She peered into my face. A labyrinth guide is a guild staff member who supports high-ranking explorers. A former D-rank like me wouldn’t have one.
“Nope.”
“Really!? Then I’ll be your guide! ☆ Here, take this.”
She handed me a card:
Labyrinth Guild Receptionist & Guide
Amaryllis Fiore
XXX-XXXX-XXXX
It listed her title, name, and direct communication magic ID.
“Amaryllis-san?”
“Yup! If you’re okay with it, we can start the paperwork—”
“No, I’m just a C-rank explorer. I’m not at the level for a guide.”
“What’re you talking about!? You’re aiming for the 500th floor—you’ll need one soon!”
“Well, even so…”
“No need to be shy! ☆”
After some back-and-forth, I deferred the decision, saying I’d consult my party. Maybe I’d ask Sumire and Sara later…
◇
◇◇ A Few Days Later
I arrived at the meeting spot with Sumire and Sara. In my excitement, I’d left the dorm early and got there too soon.
(What to do until they arrive…)
The 1st floor of the ‘Zenith Tower’ was monster-free. The entrance was crowded with merchants’ stalls targeting explorers, busy with shoppers. The elevator area was packed, but the vast grassy plains beyond were quiet, dotted with explorers waiting, checking gear, or napping.
(Might as well practice swings.)
Confirming no one was nearby, I swung my sword mindlessly. I was in high spirits today because—
“Hey, Eugene-kun! Did we keep you waiting?”
“Eugene! Sorry to make you wait!”
Sumire and Sara arrived—not exactly chummy, keeping some distance.
“Nah, you’re early. We’ve got time before the meetup.”
“Sorry, Sara-san said something weird and slowed me down,” Sumire said.
“Don’t lie, Sumire-san. I was teaching you explorer etiquette,” Sara retorted.
“Like not clinging to Eugene-kun unnecessarily?”
“Exactly! It’s improper!”
“Says the one who throws herself at Eugene-kun every time.”
“…I’ve been restraining myself lately.”
“Uh, not really.”
Same old tension. But during actual exploration, our trio’s coordination was improving. That’s why today was special.
“Sumire, Sara, let’s do this.”
“…Yeah, Eugene-kun!”
“…Leave it to me, Eugene.”
They stopped bickering and responded sharply.
“Let’s go. We’re challenging the 50th Floor Master.”
They nodded firmly.
‘Zenith Tower: 50th Floor’
Clearing it would make us B-rank explorers, a step up from my C-rank. The 50th floor was a trial.
(Finally made it this far…)
My grip tightened on my sword. Sumire, Sara, and I boarded the ‘Labyrinth Elevator’.

Thank you!
ReplyDelete