After helping the ice princess from another school, we started to become friends Spin off side. Eiji Chapter 2
Chapter 2: Eiji Makizaka Has Many Friends
“That was so fun! The animation in theatrical releases is just insane, isn’t it?”
“…Yeah, it was fun.”
I respond vaguely to the voice from beside me as we walk at a leisurely pace. Today, I went to see a movie with some friends.
There were six of us in total—three guys and three girls. Originally, it was supposed to be just the guys, but Shizuko found out, and it ended up becoming this big group outing.
To be honest, I barely registered the movie’s plot. With this many people, I had to be extra mindful not to bother those around us. The reason I initially planned to go with just the guys was that a smaller group makes it easier to focus on the film.
Meanwhile, the girls are chattering excitedly in front of the theater. “That final twist was so good!” and “I totally cried at the confession scene… I didn’t even realize that part was foreshadowing!” they say, sharing specific thoughts about the movie. It’s getting a bit loud, so I gently warn them to keep it down, letting out a sigh.
Just then, my phone vibrates in my pocket. I check it and see a message from Kirika.
“The movie should be over by now, right? How was it?”
Come to think of it, Kirika seemed pretty interested in this movie too. She didn’t join us today because of the large group.
…Alright, then.
“It was kind of chaotic, so I didn’t catch much, but I think it was good. I want to watch it again properly, so how about we go see it together next time?”
“Yes! I’m in!”
Her reply comes almost instantly, and the slight tension I was feeling melts away.
But this exchange was a bit careless on my part.
“Huh? What’s that? Already texting your girlfriend right after the movie?”
“N-No, it’s not like that!”
My body jolts at the sudden comment, and I quickly tuck my phone away to hide the screen. When I glance to the side, as expected, the two guys are grinning at me mischievously.
“No need to be shy! There’s hardly anyone in class who doesn’t know about you two, Mr. Famous Couple.”
“Yeah, yeah! Lovey-dovey couple alert!”
“You guys…”
My cheeks twitch as a mix of emotions swirls inside me… and because of that, I fail to notice someone approaching from the other side.
“Flirting with other girls while texting another one? That’s kinda low, don’t you think?”
“…Shizuko.”
“There she is, the side chick!”
It’s Shizuko, sidling up close to me. I take a step back, but she glares at us with a dissatisfied expression.
“Can you stop with the ‘side chick’ comments already?”
“Yeah, yeah, doesn’t she seem more like the main wife?”
“Either way, it just means Eiji’s a cheating jerk, doesn’t it?”
“…”
I can’t help but make a grimace. No matter how this plays out, I end up looking like a scumbag… and there are way too many misunderstandings here.
But before I can say anything, Shizuko speaks up again, her tone laced with frustration.
“Seriously, if you’re gonna text her, why didn’t you just bring her along?”
“…People have things they’re good at and things they’re not.”
“That makes no sense. She’s just socially awkward, isn’t she?”
Her words irritate me, but I swallow the emotions rising within me.
Shizuko doesn’t know Kirika, so it’s easy for her to call her “socially awkward.”
I don’t think it’s fair to brush it off as ignorance. I’m not the kind of person who feels nothing when my childhood friend is mocked. We’ve known each other for over ten years.
Sure, Kirika is shy around strangers. But that doesn’t mean she hates interacting with people. I know that, and Aneki understands it best. Kirika lights up when she talks, and she doesn’t mind physical closeness either. If there were someone in our class like Aneki, I bet they’d get along great. Even if not to that extent, a relationship built on mutual respect would probably work out fine.
The reason that hasn’t happened—there are a lot of factors.
From my perspective, Kirika is a kind girl, but others seem to see her as gloomy. And for some reason, when I’m with her, people tend to pick fights. Guys have teased her before, but the girls… they can be especially harsh.
Of course, I stepped in to handle it, but the reasons I heard were things like, “I like you, Eiji, and I don’t want Kirika around you.” It wasn’t just once or twice that she was bullied for reasons like that. Apparently, I’m the type who attracts those kinds of feelings from girls more often than I realized.
Because of that, Kirika hasn’t been able to make friends with anyone—guy or girl—besides me. I considered keeping my distance from others to avoid trouble, but that backfired. Some girls started blaming Kirika, saying it was her fault.
“Hey, Eiji-kun, if you’re free after this, wanna go on a date?”
I’m lost in thought, and Shizuko’s voice pulls me back. Is she oblivious to my mood, or is she deliberately changing the subject?
“Sorry, I’ve got plans after this.”
“Ugh, Shizuko, you made Eiji mad!”
“No, it’s not that. It’s a family thing.”
I swallow the sigh threatening to escape and touch the phone in my pocket.
…I just want to see Kirika soon.
---
“♪~♪”
“You’re in a great mood, Kirika-chan. Texting Eiji?”
I’m lounging on the sofa, staring at my phone, when Onee-chan calls out to me. I nod, clutching the phone to my chest.
“Eiji invited me to go see the movie with just the two of us next time.”
“Nice one! …Wait, didn’t Eiji go see a movie today?”
“Yeah. He said it was hard to focus with so many people.”
“Oh, that makes sense. That boy’s got a strong sense of responsibility, doesn’t he?”
Eiji’s responsible and has great leadership skills. On top of that, he’s always considerate of those around him.
…Thinking about it like this, it’s no wonder girls like him. He’s kind, cool, and thoughtful.
Lately, Shizuko-san’s been like that. You can practically feel her “I like him” aura radiating.
“…”
“What’s wrong, Kirika-chan? You’re making a serious face.”
“…It’s nothing.”
I feel a slight pang of unease, but I don’t want to put it into words. I’m already more than fortunate enough as it is.
I shouldn’t tie Eiji down any more than I already do.
But Onee-chan keeps staring at me.
“…Kirika-chan.”
“Y-Yes?”
“If Eiji ever cheats, you tell me, okay?”
“Huh?”
For a moment, I don’t understand what she’s saying. Even thinking it over, it doesn’t make sense. Is she joking? But Onee-chan’s expression is completely serious.
“Eiji’s a serious guy, so I think it’ll be fine, but if you’re ever worried, come straight to me!”
“N-No, I’m not worried about that… I mean, even if Eiji liked another girl, it wouldn’t exactly be cheating…”
“It’s fine. I don’t think Eiji would go for another girl.”
What’s fine about it? I mean, Eiji and I… we’re not even dating.
I think about it, but the words don’t come out. My gaze drifts to the phone I’m holding against my chest.
…It’s not like I’m oblivious. I know how I feel about Eiji. And I’m pretty sure he doesn’t think badly of me either.
But “not thinking badly” isn’t the same as “liking” or “seeing me as a girl.”
More than anything, if I’m wrong, it could hurt both of us.
I shake my head to push away the prickling feeling in my heart.
“Onee-chan! You’re going to be late for your part-time job if you don’t leave soon!”
“Oh, you’re right! It’s already that time. I’m off, then. Take care of the house!”
“Okay. Have a good shift!”
Onee-chan grabs her bag in a hurry. Then, she flashes me a bright smile.
“If anything else comes up, don’t hesitate to talk to me. I’m great at picking out date outfits, you know.”
“…Okay.”
Onee-chan’s fashion sense is top-notch. She’s so good that she’s on great terms with the manager at the clothing store where she works part-time, and her skills have been recognized to the point that she’s already secured a full-time job there after graduation. If I need help, I’ll ask her… if the opportunity comes up.
“Hehe. Alright, I’m off. Have fun with Eiji!”
“Okay, be careful.”
“Thanks!”
I give a small wave as Onee-chan heads out, watching her leave.
After the front door closes, my phone vibrates again. It’s Eiji, of course.
“I’m heading back now. There’s a pastry shop nearby, so I’ll stop by. What do you want?”
“I want a cream puff.”
I reply instantly, then feel a bit embarrassed for being so eager… but the happiness outweighs it. Eiji doesn’t even like sweets, so I know he’s stopping by just for me.
“Got it. I’ll be there in about thirty minutes.”
“Okay, thanks. I’ll be waiting.”
After sending the reply, I hug my phone to my chest again… and a smile naturally spreads across my face.
“Eiji, I can’t wait to see you.”
A warm feeling wells up inside me, spilling out as words.
As I sway gently, I think to myself how I wish days like this could last forever, waiting for Eiji to come back.
——.
Comments
Post a Comment