After helping the ice princess from another school, we started to become friends Spin off side. Eiji Chapter 9
Chapter 9: Eiji Makizaka Makes a Promise
The next day, at school. Kirika’s absent again today.
She mentioned she had something to do, and Onee-chan’s apparently helping her with it. I don’t know exactly what it is… but with Aneki there, it shouldn’t be anything weird.
For now, I’ve got something to take care of today. First—lunch break.
“Is Tokiyama-san here?”
The first-year classroom. It’s been months since I last came here, and as expected, I don’t recognize many faces, so it definitely feels like a different grade.
I heard this was her class… I scan the room and lock eyes with a girl reading a book.
“M-Makizaka-san?”
“Hey, there you are. Got a sec?”
“Y-Yes!”
She stands out a bit in the class… but it should be fine. Kirika’s situation got sorted out yesterday, more or less.
So, I ask her to step out into the hallway.
“Thanks for yesterday. It helped clear things up. …Kirika should probably be back next week too.”
“R-Really!? I-I’m sorry… I was worried afterward that I might’ve done something unnecessary.”
“Nah… well, yeah, it was a shock, but you telling me helped a lot. Sorry if I got a bit worked up. I’ve sorted it out now.”
“I-I see. That’s good. Did you come to tell me that?”
“Yeah. Wanted to thank you too.”
Kirika will probably thank her herself, but I wanted to say it sooner. If it wasn’t for Tokiyama-san… nothing would’ve been resolved. Things with Kirika would’ve dragged on. Maybe they wouldn’t have been resolved at all.
And there’s one more thing I want to ask.
“One more thing, if that’s okay?”
“Y-Yes. What is it?”
“Just confirming from yesterday… everyone who was around me at lunch knew about it, right?”
That’s what I needed to know. The group yesterday… they’re the ones I usually hang out with.
“…Yes. I got curious, so I’ve been quietly observing after school a lot. The girls were talking in the bathroom, and the boys in the classroom. I remember their faces. Also, some people who weren’t in that group but were sitting nearby knew too. It might be a bit prejudiced, but they all seemed like bright, outgoing types. It’s possible more people knew, since they might’ve talked outside of lunch.”
“…I see.”
I’d suspected as much, but it’s worse than I thought. It’s still sad… but I’ll need to seriously rethink who I associate with from now on.
Kirika should be back next week, so maybe we’ll figure it out together.
“Thanks, that helps.”
“You’re welcome! …Um, can I ask something?”
“What’s up?”
I didn’t want to keep her too long, but she called out to me. She looks a bit nervous.
“I’m usually at the library after school, so please come by with Nishizawa-san when you’re free…!”
“…! Sure, we’ll do that. I’m not much of a book reader, though.”
“There are a few manga that are educational!”
“Oh yeah, those exist. Alright, I’ll drop by when I’ve got time.”
“Please do! Tell Nishizawa-san I said hi!”
“Yeah, got it. See ya.”
Tokiyama-san bows politely. …Making a female friend right after getting a girlfriend feels a bit off, but she might be someone Kirika could get along with.
I’ll bring Kirika to the library soon, I think as I head back to my classroom.
◆◆◆
After school, behind the gym.
I was called out here. Naturally, by Araya, as we discussed yesterday.
And I had a pretty good idea why. This place is known for confessions.
The back of the gym, near the stage, has no windows and is a complete blind spot, hidden from the school building. …Though, I’ve heard it used to be a spot for bullying too. Luckily, I’ve never seen anyone bullied here.
As I wait, she shows up quickly.
“Kept you waiting?”
“Nah, just got here.”
She’d said, “Wait a sec, I’ve got something to do,” but she arrived faster than I expected. Well, whatever.
“So? What’s up?”
“Come on, you know, don’t you? It’s not your first time.”
“…”
…I had a feeling. I’ve been confessed to a few times before, always here.
But I was hoping my hunch was wrong. Unfortunately, my bad feelings tend to be right—
“Go out with me, Eiji-kun.”
—And this time, they were.
“Don’t you think we’d be perfect together? We’re both like the leaders of the class, right? We’ve got tons of friends, and everyone would celebrate us.”
“I’m saying no.”
My answer was decided from the start. Honestly, I’m amazed she could say that. Tons of friends? Celebrate us? The thought of them actually celebrating gives me chills.
“You’ve got some nerve saying that after bullying Kirika.”
“…Are you mistaking me for someone else?”
“You said ‘friends,’ but I don’t call people who hide that someone important to me is being bullied—let alone try to cover it up—friends.”
“…”
The expression drains from Araya’s face. Her voice becomes flat, emotionless.
“Who told you?”
“Who knows.”
“…Tch. What a bunch of idiots. I told them to keep quiet, but… guess it didn’t work.”
“You’re quick to show your true colors.”
She mutters, spitting out the words. Even I’m surprised by how fast she drops the act.
I figured she was spreading it around, but she actually told people to keep quiet? …Was there a reason she hid it from me? But it’s not what I thought.
“I told them I’d help them get with their crushes if they did what I said… but I guess guys aren’t as romance-obsessed as girls.”
“No way… my so-called friends’ stock just plummeted.”
Did they all have crushes? …No, I don’t know. Some of them had pretty gross ideas. I warned them not to say that stuff in front of me or others, but some judged people purely on looks or body. It’s just a guess, so I shouldn’t dwell on it.
“You sure about this? I’m kind of known for being cute at school.”
“I’ll give you that you’re good-looking, but your personality’s a dealbreaker.”
She clearly puts effort into her skin and appearance, and her fashion sense is good when we hang out.
I respect that effort. …But I can’t even jokingly say I like someone who bullies others.
And more importantly—
“I’ve already got a girlfriend.”
For a moment, Araya’s eyes widen. Then she sighs.
“…Someone beat me to it.”
“Just so you know, I’d have turned you down even if you confessed first. I thought you’d picked up that I was avoiding you.”
…Did she think she had a shot if Kirika wasn’t around? Either way, she underestimated me.
“You sure? You’ll regret this.”
“Try me. I’ll protect Kirika no matter what.”
I’ve already decided. I’ll protect Kirika, no matter what. …I don’t have anyone I can call a friend anymore, but if I get close to some serious classmates, it should be fine. For the girls, I’ll ask the class rep for help—she’s probably trustworthy.
But Araya snorts at my words.
“You might be misunderstanding, but you’re not the only one who’ll regret this. So will she.”
“Huh?”
I don’t get what she means—but then she smirks.
“…Uwaaaah! Onii-chan!”
—And she starts crying out of nowhere.
My brain freezes at the sudden shift.
But I quickly understand—when I see the people approaching.
“Hey, hey, what’s wrong, Shizuko!?”
“Onii-chan, sob, Eiji-kun rejected me and bullied me!”
“What’d you say!?”
“…Oh. That’s the play.”
A group of tough-looking guys shows up. Ten of them… probably all third-years.
Come to think of it, I’d heard rumors about Araya’s brother being a delinquent. …And a hardcore sis-con who’d come running and beat up anyone who messed with her.
“And… sob, he said my personality’s awful!”
“I’ll kill you, bastard!”
“I didn’t say it like that.”
“Shut up!”
They’re not listening. …No, they probably just want an excuse to fight. Except for Araya’s brother, the others are likely just itching to throw punches.
“You’re the one to blame, Eiji-kun. …It’ll make a good example too.”
“You’re unbelievably selfish. I’m amazed you’ve gotten away with this for so long.”
“I’ve got my big brother!”
…Oh, so her brother’s been taking the fall for her? Maybe threatening people after beating them up.
And choosing this spot makes sense—no security cameras.
I let out a big sigh.
“Just so you know, I’m pretty used to this kind of thing.”
“Shut up! Onii-chan!”
“Alright! Get him, guys!”
“You’re not doing it yourself?”
One guy charges at me as Araya calls out. The big boss seems reluctant to move.
…This feels familiar.
I see the fist coming straight for my face. No hesitation. But—
“I’m used to this too!”
I meet his fist—with my forehead. A crack sounds as something breaks.
“Gaaah!”
“…Ow. But it worked better than I thought.”
My forehead. The skull’s one of the hardest bones in the body. Arms, on the other hand, are pretty fragile. In boxing, gloves and wraps protect them, but bare fists? They’re at risk.
Nose or jaw would be dangerous, but if it works, it’s like this. …A bit more effective than I expected, though. It’s my first time doing this much damage in self-defense.
“Takeshi!? You bastard!”
“It’s totally self-defense. …I told you, I’m used to this.”
I dodge the next guy charging at me, keeping my words steady. This isn’t my first time caught up in something like this.
Back in elementary school, kids were quick to throw punches, and even in middle school, it happened sometimes. Usually because of Kirika—I’d step in, and they’d get pissed.
I’ve dealt with some crazy people, but I didn’t expect so many this close to me.
“Don’t dodge, coward!”
“That’s a ridiculous demand!”
A surprise attack might’ve worked, but swinging wildly in an open space like this? Unless someone’s frozen in fear, it’s not gonna land.
Maybe they’ve only ever gone after people too scared to move, judging by their numbers.
I sigh—and a fist grazes my stomach.
“Hah… ugh!?”
“Close, but not quite.”
It stops short. …I slammed my knee and elbow into his wrist. Feels like it might be broken.
Not a great feeling. As I back off, an arm slides under my armpit.
“Tch… huh?”
“Heh, get him!”
A so-called armlock. I panic for a second but quickly notice something off. …This is totally amateur. His hands aren’t even locked—he’s just holding me with strength.
“Die!”
“…Yo! Hup!”
A fist comes for my face. Kicking the stomach would’ve been smarter… they’ve probably never been countered here before.
I time it, plant my feet, and—lean forward with all my strength.
“Guh!?”
“Whoa!? S-Sorry—!?”
“You’re not used to fighting, just ganging up on weaker people.”
I kick the shin of the guy who just punched his friend in the face, then land a kick to the side of the guy who’s crouched in pain.
“Next. Who’s up?”
“…What the hell are you?”
I take a deep breath and look at the rest. …The first two aside, these last two probably don’t have broken bones. Knocking them out would be too convenient, and choking them out is risky for an amateur.
For now, I’ll keep targeting painful spots like the shin… and if their numbers drop, I’ll make a run for it.
“My Onee-chan and dad were really into pro wrestling back in the day. I’ve got some knowledge and training.”
Eight left, including the ones down. …I’ve handled three or four at most before.
It’s tough, but I’ll do what I can.
With that thought, I kick the shoulder of a guy who’s getting up in a crouch.
◆◇◆
It was after Onee-chan and I went shopping for clothes and makeup and got back home.
Onee-chan got a call. She muttered, “From the school?”—then her face went pale.
“Onee-chan…?”
“…Eiji got caught up in some trouble.”
“What!?”
The sudden news makes me shout. A bad feeling hits me, and I grab Onee-chan’s arm.
“…We’re going to the hospital. He’s not seriously hurt, apparently.”
“I-I’m coming too!”
“Yeah, let’s go.”
We rush out to the hospital. Thank goodness Onee-chan has her license.
“But… how did this happen?”
“…We’ll find out more later, but for now, they said he got into a huge fight with a bunch of third-years. …Well, ten of them, so I’m not sure ‘fight’ is the right word.”
“Ten!?”
I shout again. Eiji’s helped me out plenty of times before… but never against that many.
“C-Could it be—”
He mentioned yesterday. That today, he had something to do.
And… Araya-san’s brother is a pretty infamous delinquent at school.
“Kirika, do you know something?”
“…Araya-san. The girl who might’ve been bullying me could be involved. Her brother’s a delinquent, apparently.”
“…As a big sister, I’m not exactly thrilled that both my little sister and brother got targeted by the same person. Though, apparently, the other side’s more banged up.”
“R-Really? Against ten?”
“That’s what they said, but we’ll hear more at the hospital. Do you know Shinri-san?”
“The gym teacher for the boys. He handles discipline too, right?”
But… ten people? Is he really not seriously hurt?
Anxiety and worry swirl as we head to the hospital.
◆◆◆
At the hospital, Shinri-san is waiting, talking to Onee-chan about what happened. I go to Eiji’s room… and there he is, on the bed.
“…Eiji!”
“Hm? Oh, Kirika. You came.”
“Of course I did! Onee-chan’s here too, and your parents are on their way… Eiji.”
“Thanks.”
“I know you’re worried about that, but your injuries…”
Eiji sits up, covered in gauze and bandages. No casts, but…
“No fractures or cracks. My head… well, aside from that first headbutt, I didn’t take any hits there, but I’m waiting on test results. Should be fine. Just some small cuts and bruises.”
“Really…?”
“Yeah. Didn’t take any direct hits to dangerous spots. My arms are just bruised.”
He shows me his arms and legs, smiling. My body relaxes.
“I’m so… glad…”
“Sorry for worrying you.”
I hug him. …It might’ve hurt him, but he hugs me back.
Then he tells me what happened. As expected, it was Araya-san’s brother and his group. According to Araya-san, Eiji was meant to be an example—to show what happens to anyone who defies her.
But apparently, they were “used to bullying” but not “used to fighting.” …Still, ten against one was exhausting. Onee-chan’s old research into pressure points and how to handle being grabbed, from her wrestling phase, came in handy.
He was just pinning down Araya-san’s brother when Shinri-san showed up.
“The teacher was shocked at first, but he heard it out from Araya and the others. …Since it’s a big deal, the police are getting involved. But with the numbers against me and no martial arts training, it’s probably self-defense… hopefully. At worst, I caused some fractures, but I had to do that much to stop them.”
“…I see.”
“The feeling of breaking someone’s bone isn’t great, though.”
I can’t help but cry as he gives a wry smile.
“I’m so glad… you’re not seriously hurt.”
“…Yeah. Sorry for scaring you.”
“Onee-chan was super worried too. …I know it’s not your fault, obviously.”
My grip on Eiji tightens naturally. The tears won’t stop.
“It’s my fault, isn’t it?”
“No. It’s the Araya siblings’ fault.”
“But… if I’d gone to school today, maybe—”
“That doesn’t make it your fault. If you go down that road, then I’m the one to blame for going to that meeting.”
Eiji’s voice is gentle, and he pats my back softly.
It’s comforting—but it hurts that someone so kind got hurt and had to hurt others because of me.
“…You’re absolutely not at fault this time, but please, don’t get hurt anymore.”
“Yeah, I got it. I’ve been in situations where fists came out before. I won’t fight anymore. If something happens, we’ll escape together. Avoiding danger comes first. I promise.”
“…Thank you. It’s a promise. Unless it’s to avoid getting hurt yourself, we escape together. I’ll be careful too.”
I let go of the hug and hold out my pinky. Eiji links his, and we do a pinky swear.
Then he smiles.
“…But I’m glad. You’re able to go out again.”
“Thanks to Onee-chan, I had something to do.”
I smile back and hold his hand. His ears turn red instantly, making me laugh more.
“Just wait for next week—I’ll surprise you even more.”
“…? Alright, I’m looking forward to it.”
As we hold hands, the door slides open with a rattle.
“Oh, Onee-chan and the others.”
“Eiji! The teacher told me what happened, but are you really okay!?”
“Thanks to you guys, I’m fine.”
Onee-chan and the others arrive, and I start to step back for family time—but I can’t. Eiji doesn’t let go of my hand.
“…No need to back off. You’re practically family.”
“…Yeah! I’ll stay right here.”
Overjoyed, I listen to Eiji talk by his side.
——.
Comments
Post a Comment