The Villainous Lady Doesn't Speak Chapter 121
Martial Arts Tournament 3
The water sphere vanished, and Austin lowered his sword, looking dazed. It seemed he could hardly believe what had happened to him. However, he quickly composed himself and hurried back to Olga. Despite a few tears in her clothing, Olga bore not a single scratch on her skin. Austin actually felt a refreshing sense of relief upon seeing this.
"I never expected someone of your caliber to be in the streets. This match has been very enlightening."
As he expressed his gratitude, Olga’s eyes narrowed in amusement.
"Likewise. Despite your youth, you appear quite capable. If you can master both sword and magic at such a young age, you have a promising future ahead. I wish you the best in your future endeavors."
The two shook hands firmly and left the arena. Back in the corridor, Austin turned to Captain Danhill, managing a wry smile.
"Captain, I’m sorry I lost."
"No, you did well," Danhill encouraged, patting Austin on the shoulder. Eden stood behind him. Austin gave a respectful bow, and Eden nodded in response.
“That mercenary Olga is skilled enough that we’d want to recruit her into the Second Squad if possible.”
“In that case, we’ll need to negotiate not just with her but also with Duke Clark’s daughter.”
Danhill responded to Eden’s musing. Eden raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised.
“Is she a bodyguard?”
“Yes, apparently so.”
“That's unusual.”
Eden’s comment was clearly about Liliana, not Olga. Normally, nobles do not have mercenaries as bodyguards. High-ranking nobles, in particular, would employ knights. They care greatly about their knights' backgrounds, preferring those born into noble families, though even commoners who are members of the Royal Knights could be hired.
“Must be quite an unusual situation. I haven’t had much opportunity to speak with her myself,” Danhill said, casting a meaningful look at Austin. Among them, Austin had the most contact with Liliana. However, conversations with her were limited, as Riley was always present, and Liliana, who often communicated only in writing, was not very proactive in conversation.
Considering that Liliana was a candidate for the crown prince’s engagement and that Riley himself was treating her as such, Austin was cautious with his words. After a moment's thought, he offered a neutral response.
“She’s a very intelligent person. I’ve seen her provide answers to questions from His Highness that even I couldn’t anticipate.”
“—You’re quite sharp yourself.”
“When talking to her, I feel quite inadequate by comparison.”
At Austin’s words, Danhill made a face of discomfort. Though Danhill was also the heir of the Calvert Border Margrave, he was not particularly skilled in academics. He muttered, “Ugh,” but then quickly remembered something and spoke up.
“Oh, someone asked to meet you after your match.”
“Me? Really?”
“Yes.”
Austin had no idea who it might be. With a puzzled expression, he followed Danhill’s directions to the room where the guest awaited. The room was a special chamber accessible only to high-ranking nobles. Recognizing that the guest might be someone he knew, Austin nodded and excused himself to the two men.
“Well then, I’ll take my leave. Captain, Deputy Captain, I wish you both success in your matches.”
“Leave it to us,” Danhill said with a grin. Both he and Eden still had matches left to compete in. They would likely face Olga eventually. Outside the mercenary Olga, the top three spots were expected to be occupied by Danhill, Eden, and Olga.
Excited by the prospect of an unexpected final showdown, Austin hurried toward the room where the guest awaited. If his guess was correct, it had been a year since he last met this person. Feeling nostalgic, he quickly ran down the corridor and stood before the door.
Knocking, he heard a voice from inside say, “Come in.” Austin opened the door and entered the room.
“Brother!”
“It’s been a while, Austin. I’m glad to see you’re well.”
The person waiting for Austin was just as he had expected. Ulysses Pat Ealdred, the son of the late Lady Ada and the Duke of Ealdred, was about fifteen years older than Austin. He usually remained at his estate, absorbed in managing his lands and research. With a demeanor slightly softer than his father, the Duke, Ulysses greeted Austin with a warm expression.
“It’s been a while. I’m glad to see you’re well, brother.”
In front of his older brother, Austin’s tone changed to something more fitting his age. Seeing his younger brother’s delighted expression, Ulysses smiled warmly and invited him to sit. He then instructed the two guards standing at the doorway to wait outside. The guards hesitated for a moment but complied with Ulysses’s request and left the room.
“It’s a bit much to have outsiders around during our private time,” Ulysses said with a wry smile, shrugging his shoulders. He disliked formality and rarely had guards with him at his estate, as his butler also served as his bodyguard. Thus, it was unusual to see other guards accompanying him. Austin blinked in surprise, but Ulysses seemed unwilling to explain further.
“I watched your match. You’ve become quite strong.”
“Yes, though I still have a lot to learn.”
“I think you’re more than capable for your age.”
Ulysses tilted his head in a puzzled manner. Austin nodded in response.
“I consider myself the strongest among the trainees. But since I’ve been assigned to the Second Squad, I’m still lacking as a Magic Knight.”
“You’re doing well,” Ulysses said, genuinely pleased.
“It’s your dream to become one of the Prince’s personal guards, isn’t it?”
“Yes.”
Everyone in the family knew that Austin had been striving to become a personal knight for Riley since he was young, and no one had ever told him it was in vain. His father had supported him with necessary education and encouragement, while his brother had always listened and given helpful advice. After being assigned to the Second Squad, Austin’s time had become limited, and he sent letters less frequently, but he had regularly reported his progress before then. He had always thought it was normal, but as he interacted more with other noble families, he realized it was rare for a high-ranking noble family. He only recently understood that this situation was something his parents and brother had worked hard to create.
After briefly updating each other, and learning that Ulysses was currently engrossed in botanical research, Austin voiced a question that had been on his mind.
“It’s unusual for you to come to the capital. Did something happen?”
“Yes, it’s quite a mystery. I was summoned by Father.”
“Father summoned you?”
Austin blinked in surprise at the unexpected answer. He tilted his head in thought but could come up with no reason.
“Why would Father summon you? It’s not because of Prince Roland and Princess Edith, is it?”
“No, I don’t think so. I was instructed not to enter the palace even if I came to the capital. And here, take this.”
As he spoke, Ulysses showed his right arm, where a bracelet was fastened. Noting how unusual it was for his brother to wear such an accessory, Austin tilted his head. Ulysses, smiling, explained, “It’s a defensive magic tool.”
“A magic tool?”
“Yes. Father specifically instructed me to wear this. Additionally, I have a duke’s shadow with me. Oh, and there’s one for you too. I’ll hand it over.”
It seemed quite thorough. Austin was momentarily at a loss for words but quickly accepted the magic tool Ulysses offered. It was a bracelet matching his brother’s. Since it could be worn on either arm, Austin, who was right-handed, decided to wear it on his left arm.
“By the way, where is Hugh?”
“Hugh is currently at the estate as per Father’s instructions.”
When Austin asked about the whereabouts of Ulysses’s long-time butler, Ulysses replied casually. It was unusual for Ulysses, who usually secluded himself at his estate, to visit the capital during the social season without Hugh accompanying him. Austin furrowed his brows in confusion.
Both knew well that the Duke of Ealdred was considered a genius. More than that, in his younger days, he was even referred to as a reincarnation of one of the three great sages who ended the Age of Demons. Indeed, Austin had never won a game of chess against his father, and most of his father’s predictions came true. Even with the same information, somehow his father understood more. Thus, it was reasonable to speculate that Ulysses’s presence in the capital and the decision to leave Hugh behind were part of some scheme by the Duke of Ealdred.
“So, being told not to enter the palace means... you must not let others know of your presence here?”
“That’s possible. I’m trying to act discreetly to account for that possibility, though I’m not sure how much good it will do.”
Indeed, Danhill had only hinted at a visitor without revealing who it was. Austin suspected Ulysses had requested that he keep it a secret.
On the other hand, Ulysses, observing Austin’s reaction, concluded that his younger brother was unaware of anything. Although it was a slim chance, Ulysses had hoped that if Austin had heard something from their father, he might have an understanding of the bigger picture. However, this hope was quickly dashed. Ulysses decided he could not yet reveal what his father had directly entrusted him with. A letter to be delivered to Lord Playstead was still unopened and hidden by Ulysses.
“—Father has always been somewhat lacking in words, you know. It’s quite troublesome.”
Ulysses sighed deeply. Austin, slightly troubled, nodded.
“He’s a very good father to me, though.”
“Yes, he’s made an effort, after all.”
Austin looked back at Ulysses, who was smiling gently. Ulysses met his brother’s straightforward and sincere gaze head-on.
“Do you remember what Father was like before you was born?”
Austin knew nothing of the Duke of Earldred’s life before his own birth. He knew that he was the child of the second wife, Abby, and that Ulysses was the child of the first wife, Ada, who had passed away young. After Ada’s death, the Duke of Ealdred had not sought a new wife for a long time. Eventually, Abby, who was twelve years younger and had been close to Ada, actively courted the Duke and eventually married him, having two children—Austin and his younger sister.
But that was all Austin knew. He was unaware of the conflicts his father faced after losing his first wife or how Ulysses felt at that time. Ulysses had always treated his younger siblings kindly and with affection, without any sign of resentment, and even expressed gratitude to Austin.
“I don’t really know much about it either. I barely saw him back then.”
Ulysses shrugged with a wry smile. Austin was surprised by this revelation. His impression of his father and brother was that they were very similar, with a strong sense of calmness in their conversations. Both were intelligent and spoke gently, which made it easy to overlook their passionate debates on various topics. Thus, Austin had always thought they had a very close father-son relationship.
“You know, my mother passed away when I was still young.”
“Yes.”
Austin nodded. Ulysses’s mother had been an older wife to the Duke, known for pulling him out of his studies and taking him out. Unlike the Duke, who was calm, she was known for her laughter and anger. She was the only one who could scold the Duke, who was celebrated as a genius from a young age.
“I don’t have many memories of her since I was so small when she died. But her death was a huge shock to me. When I heard she wasn’t coming back—I thought it was Father’s fault.”
Now that he has grown, Ulysses understands that his mother’s death was not his father’s fault. His mother had died by suicide. Whatever the reason, the Duke of Earldred did not kill her. Ulysses also did not know the reason behind her suicide. However, he was aware that the Duke believed her death was his own responsibility.
The only “fact” that young Ulysses knew was that his mother had left home in a fit of rage against his father and returned as a lifeless corpse.
“That’s why, as a child, I came to dislike Father. But I knew that if I said I hated him, it would make him sad. The servants always defended Father, so I thought it was something I shouldn’t say. Yet, whenever we met, I would end up saying terrible things. So, I started to avoid Father. Before I knew it, I didn’t know what to say to him when we met.”
And the Duke of Ealdred, in turn, didn’t know how to interact with his son who was avoiding him. An awkward father and son—yet, those around them treated Ulysses kindly, and the Duke, even without direct involvement, always kept an eye on his son. He always provided whatever Ulysses wanted for his birthday and, whenever Ulysses developed a new interest, a tutor would be quietly invited.
“The chance for Father and me to start talking was given to us by you, Austin.”
Ulysses smiled with a hint of embarrassment.
When the Duke married his second wife, Ulysses was ten years old. As he was entering his teenage years, he was only bewildered by his new mother, who was more like an older sister than a mother. He didn’t know how to talk to her or how to relate to her. Then, five years later, Austin was born. It was only then that Ulysses found a reason to speak to his father and new mother.
His younger brother was adorable. Friendly and always following Ulysses around more than their parents did. Their father doted on Austin greatly and also showed the same affection to the cautious Ulysses.
It didn’t take long for them to become a close family. They made an effort to share meals together, and Ulysses soon began talking about his interests and research, not just about Austin. He enjoyed learning new things and gaining different perspectives from conversations with his father.
Ulysses didn’t expect to become a genius like his father. However, he eventually wanted to catch up with him. Despite having a great father, Ulysses did not become resentful, thanks to Austin, who always listened with shining eyes and found his stories interesting. Austin, who became attached to his older brother, eventually started consulting Ulysses with his problems. Perhaps because he knew their father, a grand duke, was often busy, Ulysses was nonetheless happy to be relied upon. Watching Austin work hard towards his goal of becoming a knight in the Royal Guard made Ulysses even more eager to see his growth.
“So, seeing you grow up so splendidly like this makes both Father and me very happy.”
Austin smiled with a hint of shyness.
He had conversations with their father, the Duke of Earldred, but as Ulysses said, his father sometimes lacked in words. Because of this, Austin occasionally felt uncertain about how his father felt about him. Whenever this happened, Ulysses would explain, as best as he could, what their father might be thinking. Ulysses’s words, similar in nature to their father’s, were trustworthy to Austin.
“If that’s the case, then I want to do my best to meet your expectations.”
“You don’t need to try to meet expectations. The most important thing is that you live as you wish.”
Ulysses added that there was no need for Austin to feel pressured.
“If necessary, both Father and I would be willing to help you in any way we can. So, always rely on us. Don’t try to solve everything on your own.”
“I understand. But in that case, please rely on me if you need anything as well. Though I still have much to learn, I’m no longer a child.”
Until now, Austin had only nodded. But now, he spoke with a sense of maturity, expressing that he was no longer a child. Ulysses was surprised at first but quickly smiled and nodded in agreement.
“Yes, of course.”
To Ulysses, Austin was still a child. It was anxiety-inducing to rely on him, and he was still a ward. But Austin’s happiness at not being outright rejected was clear as his cheeks flushed slightly, and his eyes sparkled.
Ulysses looked at the clock on the wall gently and spoke.
“It’s almost time. The final and semi-final matches are coming up, right? Your captain and vice-captain will be competing. You must watch.”
“Yes, I’m looking forward to seeing the two of them as they are very strong.”
“Yes, I’m looking forward to it as well.”
Ulysses and Austin stood up. Ulysses sent Austin out of the room, saying he would watch from a different location. As he watched his younger brother leave with a brisk step, Ulysses let out a small sigh.
“He’s grown up so much.”
With a deep sigh, Ulysses also left the room with his guards. Although he told Austin he was going to watch the matches, his real intention was to simply meet and talk with his brother. To see his brother, who usually stayed at the Royal Knights’ barracks, he had to go to the palace, but that was forbidden by his father. Although he did not understand the reason, breaking the rule would not yield good results. The Duke’s words were absolute to Ulysses.
“I doubt he’ll tell me if I ask.”
The letter that was to be given to Lord Playstead in case of an issue was proof of this. It felt a bit frustrating that it was not addressed to him, as it suggested he was not yet fully recognized as an adult. However, he was genuinely pleased to be entrusted with such an important task. Mixed feelings waged within him. Nevertheless, Ulysses thought that he must have met his father’s expectations as he left the circular arena.
The loud cheers of the crowd echoed from behind.
----
Comments
Post a Comment