The Villainous Lady Doesn't Speak Chapter 135
Chapter 135: Exchange of Opinions 13
From where Obsidian was sitting, he couldn't read the letter, so he tilted his head and asked, "What does it say?" But Liliana didn't respond. She remained deep in thought, staring at the letter.
The contents of the letter confirmed Liliana’s suspicions. It not only revealed that the assassin who killed Duke Ealdred was from the Calamity clan clan but also identified the assassin's employer.
“—Father,”
Liliana muttered bitterly as she saw the name of the requester written in the letter. Finch Marquis’s suspicion about the involvement of Duke Clark turned out to be correct.
Duke Clark had always considered Duke Ealdred his enemy. There might have been some old grudge from his youth or other reasons. According to Marquis Finch, there had also been disagreements over Riley’s engagement. There were numerous reasons for Duke Clark to view Duke Ealdred as an adversary.
Still, part of her refused to believe that her father could be behind such actions. But the confession spell could only reveal the truth. While it was possible that the assassin known as Cocoefuki was mistaken about the employer, it was unlikely. Those who interacted with the Calamity clan could not hide their true identities. It was almost certain that Duke Clark was Cocoefuki’s employer. The reason for the directive to harm Liliana was likely to remove her as Riley’s fiancée and place Princess Edith in that role instead. Duke Clark could not wait the remaining six months until Liliana turned ten.
Liliana sighed deeply, trying to suppress her tumultuous emotions and focusing on one particular concern.
(—If this letter falls into Lord Playstead’s hands, it would drastically alter the situation.)
In the otome game Liliana played in her past life, her brother, Clyde Benito Clark, who was one of the targets, and her father, the Duke, were still alive. Liliana was also known as Liliana Alexandra Clark, and the Clark family was a prominent ducal house in the Kingdom of Slibegrad. However, if this confidential letter reached Lord Playstead, it could lead to the extinction of the Clark family, or at the very least, Duke Clark would be punished severely, even if Clyde and Liliana were shown mercy.
(Did the letter never reach Lord Playstead in the game?)
In the game, Liliana had no acquaintance with Obsidian. She was neither harmed nor removed from her position as Riley’s fiancée. If Duke Ealdred had been alive, Duke Clark would have met his downfall eventually. This implies that Duke Ealdred was assassinated before the start of the game. Even though the game’s narrative was already diverging from reality, there were few possibilities that fit the information and current situation.
(Duke Ealdred was assassinated, and the evidence he prepared was secretly disposed of before it reached Lord Playstead. And as the fiancée at the time, I was not attacked.)
The reason Duke Clark ordered Liliana to be harmed was likely because she was still only a candidate. Even as a confirmed fiancée, the same might have applied. The premise in reality and the game must differ significantly.
(Who might have disposed of this letter if it didn’t reach Lord Playstead?)
Most reasonably, it would be Duke Clark. However, Obsidian’s presence complicated this issue. If Liliana had not met Obsidian, he would have continued his assassination work in the Yunatian Empire. In that case, Obsidian would likely have crossed paths with Cocoefuki, leading to a deadly confrontation. Assassins who encountered each other on the job would typically kill their rivals before taking down their targets, as a man named Kamakiri once taught. Considering that Obsidian defeated Cocoefuki last night, it was highly likely that, had he not met Liliana, Obsidian would have defeated Cocoefuki and likely succeeded in assassinating Riley as instructed by the empire.
(In the game, there was an attempted assassination of Will, but it failed.)
In fact, all the assassins were captured. This suggested that in the game, Obsidian was not an assassin sent by the empire.
Liliana suddenly thought of one possibility.
“Hey, Sid.”
“Hm?”
When called, Obsidian promptly responded. Liliana maintained her composure as she asked a single question.
“Was there a possibility that you could have been hired by my father?”
“Oh, to replace Cocoefuki? Yes, there was. But I turned it down for other more interesting jobs.”
Liliana felt a sense of something falling into place, understanding the situation clearly now.
It seemed that Obsidian, whose name did not appear in the first game, had been a shadowy figure all along. He was an assassin hired by Duke Clark. As a result, the letter Duke Ealdred had entrusted to Lord Playstead was easily taken and delivered to Duke Clark. Duke Clark then crushed the document that would lead to his downfall.
“So what will you do? Will you restore the letter and deliver it to Lord Playstead?”
Obsidian asked, and Liliana hesitated. She knew that following Duke Ealdred’s wishes would be the right thing to do. However, she couldn’t immediately agree.
Liliana had a vague sense of why Duke Ealdred had used such indirect means. Even Liliana could tell that her father was plotting something. Duke Ealdred must have had a good grasp of the specifics. But Duke Clark was not a fool. He would not easily allow evidence to be seized, nor could he be prosecuted without it. Attempting to do so would lead to major unrest in the kingdom. Even if the accuser was another member of the Three Great Duchies, like Duke Ealdred, it would still result in turmoil, dividing the country.
Thus, Duke Ealdred had needed to stage a diversion to thwart Duke Clark’s plans. If it became known that he had plotted to kill a high-ranking noble, Duke Clark, no matter how influential, would not escape severe punishment. Considering the possibility that the actual target might be killed and to prevent Duke Clark from realizing it was a trap, the diversion could not afford to fail.
— Therefore, Duke Ealdred used himself as bait.
To shock the nobility and ensure Duke Clark would not escape.
Although it had resulted in his death, if Duke Ealdred could secure evidence while protecting Riley and his son Austin, it would have been considered a success. He must have believed that Lord Playstead would handle the evidence properly. Duke Ealdred likely intended to punish Duke Clark himself but wanted to ensure that the punishment would not extend to his children, Clyde and Liliana. Otherwise, the letter would have been sent to the temple with judicial authority, not to Lord Playstead.
Even with this understanding, Liliana was still reluctant to hand over the letter to Lord Playstead. While she believed in Duke Ealdred’s trustworthiness, she wasn’t sure if Lord Playstead was someone she could trust. No matter how distinguished a person might be, if they acted in the public interest, there was no guarantee they wouldn’t also bring punishment upon Clyde and Liliana alongside Duke Clark.
“No, I won’t deliver it. I’ll keep this letter with me.”
“Understood.”
It was possible to destroy the letter entirely, but Liliana decided it was better to keep it on hand just in case. Since it was already opened, the chance of Lord Playstead finding his way to Liliana was minimal.
Upon hearing Liliana’s decision, Obsidian’s lips curled into a pleased smile.
“And, Sid,”
After placing the letter back into the envelope, Liliana called Obsidian’s name. With a look that seemed to ask what was needed, Obsidian turned his gaze toward Liliana, who then stated calmly:
“Regarding the evidence of my father’s connections with the Empire that I asked you to find before…”
“Ah, yes.”
Obsidian nodded. Liliana smiled gently.
“I want you to investigate thoroughly what other schemes my father is planning, and do it as quickly as possible.”
Obsidian took a moment to catch his breath at Liliana’s firm tone. Tentatively, he asked.
“By the way, how quickly do you mean?”
“Well, let’s say within two months at the latest. I need some time to devise a strategy before my next birthday.”
“—Understood.”
Obsidian’s face twitched slightly, but Liliana pretended not to notice and gave him a bright smile.
“I’m counting on you, Sid.”
With a smile that carried an unspoken pressure, Liliana conveyed her expectation. Obsidian glanced briefly skyward, then let out a small sigh and nodded.
“I was planning to act as a bodyguard, but—Alright, I’ll start with the information gathering.”
Standing up from the sofa, Obsidian vanished immediately. Liliana watched him leave, then retrieved the letter from the envelope once more and turned her attention to the first personal letter.
<To my dear Lord Playstead—,
I have never forgotten the words you spoke to me when Austin was born.
You told me that it wasn’t my fault that my former wife, Ada, had died. You said it was simply a series of unfortunate events. When I reflect on it calmly, I can see that you were right. But at that time, your words didn’t reach the heart of a man like me, who had lost not only Ada but also the will to live. Truly, you are my greatest—no, with Ada and my current wife Abby, my third-greatest—confidant. You used to say my jokes weren’t funny, but did you laugh at that one? That was supposed to be a joke. But I hope you believe me when I say how grateful I am to you.
Now, I’m about to take advantage of your kindness once again. I’ve spent all this time trying to handle everything on my own. Ada’s death too—I’ve always blamed myself because I tried to do it all alone. If I had sought your help back then, Ada might still be alive. I still regret that, even to this day.
You’ve always told me I could rely on you, and I’ve tried, little by little, to do just that. Having you craft several magical tools for me was part of that, but I was truly taken aback when you told me it still wasn’t enough. I suppose I’ve grown far too used to doing things on my own, and I don’t really understand what it means to rely on others like you.
That’s why this is my most selfish request. I’m entrusting this evidence to you because I trust you. The enclosed paper is a transcription of a confession spell, containing the confession of the assassin sent to kill me. With this, you should be able to arrest Duke Clark. I know he’s plotting various things, but I lack solid evidence. I’ve searched extensively but haven’t found anything. The only places I couldn’t investigate were the Duke’s residence in the capital, his mansion in the Fortia territory, and the estate on the outskirts of the capital. I’m certain that documents detailing his plans, as well as evidence of his past crimes, are hidden in one of those locations. Knowing his personality, I believe he’s left a trail.
With solid proof of his involvement in the assassination of one of the three great dukes, we will have just cause to search the Duke’s residence. I want you to expose Duke Clark’s schemes. I understand that time is of the essence. Please act as quickly as possible—but ensure that his two children do not fall along with him. Both of them are vital to the future of this kingdom, and to the Crown Prince.
It may be difficult to prove his involvement in Ada’s death, but if we can prove the other charges, it will be enough to justify Duke Clark’s execution. While I don’t plan on dying anytime soon, if this letter has reached you, then something unfortunate must have happened to me. I’ve taken every precaution, but even I know that fate does not always smile upon me. So, if this letter has made its way to you—at that moment, I entrust to you the task of avenging Ada.
—Bernard Chad Ealdred>
*****
Lord Playstead, who had hastily traveled from the Earldred estate to the ducal residence in the capital, furrowed his brow as he looked over the letter he had received from Ulysses Pat Ealdred. Pressing his lips with his index finger, he sank deeply into his chair. Ulysses, with a hint of tension in his gaze, studied the lord’s refined and alluring profile. The first time he had met Lord Playstead was when he was just a child. He knew neither the man's name nor his family ties. It was said that only the head of the ducal family knew Playstead's true identity. Now that Ulysses had inherited the title after the death of his father, Bernard, he should have had the right to know the man’s real name. Yet, Playstead had not disclosed it. It seemed Ulysses had not yet earned that privilege, and asking directly was forbidden, so all he could do was wait for Playstead to speak. Still, Ulysses did not voice any complaints.
"This is it?"
"Yes, it is."
The Duke of Earldred had been assassinated. Playstead had assumed that Bernard, meticulous as he was, had foreseen everything and acted accordingly. For that very reason, it was hard to believe that the only thing Bernard had left behind at the cost of his life was a single letter.
"Indeed, there’s a spell on it, but—"
Murmuring to himself, Lord Playstead effortlessly opened the sealed letter. He sensed traces of magic on the stationery as well, so he channeled his own magical energy into it, causing the words to emerge. Yet, something felt off.
"The magic on this stationery is designed so that the letters appear no matter whose magical energy is used. Would he really cast a spell like that?”
The mechanism by which letters appear when infused with someone's magical energy was not particularly complex. For that reason, it was common practice among nobles exchanging highly confidential information to use a spell that only responded to a specific individual's magic. Moreover, the words that appeared on this letter were not of great importance.
In the past, Lord Playstead had been aided by the Duke of Ealdred countless times. The debt of gratitude he owed was so great that no amount of time could ever repay it. This was why it pained him that, in the Duke’s time of need, he had not been relied upon. The first time Playstead had finally been able to express his desire to help had been when Austin was born, asking Bernard to lean on him when necessary.
When Ulysses told him, "I have a letter," Playstead had a vague sense of what to expect. Yet, the fact that it had come at such a critical moment disheartened him. He wondered if he had been so unreliable that even now, when things were dire, he wasn’t called upon until the very last moment. He clenched his teeth in frustration at his own inadequacy. But at the same time, the thought that he had been entrusted with something that Bernard had risked his life to accomplish filled him with excitement.
However, the contents of the sealed letter were nothing but ordinary words. Before disappointment could set in, his instincts told him something was off.
—-
Comments
Post a Comment