The Villainous Lady Doesn't Speak Chapter 148
Cleaning up the Twin Peaks 6
Liliana walked down the palace corridor with Clyde by her side. Although she usually visited the palace alone, accompanied only by guards, this was the first time she had done so with Clyde from the outset, rather than meeting him later in one of the rooms. Clyde had been especially considerate toward her, even slowing his pace more than necessary.
“I’ll have to leave you for a while, but let’s head back together,” Clyde said.
“Yes, Marianne is with me, so I’ll be fine.”
Liliana smiled at her brother, who looked apologetic. Relieved, Clyde let out a small sigh and relaxed.
Today marked the first advisory council meeting since their father Abram’s death. As the new head of one of the three major ducal families, Clyde had been requested to attend. While he was generally composed for someone his age, the gravity of the advisory council, second only to the royal council, seemed to weigh on him. Even though the agenda had been shared in advance, it included sensitive topics—some directly concerning Liliana—that were sure to provoke intense debate. Depending on the content, some meetings ended swiftly without much opposition, but this time Clyde’s succession of the title came at an unfortunate time. On the other hand, it was fortunate that Liliana would no longer be subjected to their father’s manipulations.
The two of them soon arrived at Riley’s office. The guards had been informed of their visit and, after a polite greeting, knocked on the door. Riley’s voice came from within, granting them permission to enter. Clyde stepped in first, followed by Liliana. As they entered, Riley rose from his desk to greet them.
“Thank you for coming. It’s been a while, Lady Liliana.”
“May I extend my sincerest greetings to Your Highness.”
Clyde offered a polite greeting, but Riley shook his head with a wry smile.
“There’s no need for such formality, Clyde. Nothing’s changed since we last met.”
“Even among friends, there is a place for proper etiquette.”
“That’s not quite the type of etiquette I meant,” Riley quipped in a more casual tone.
Clyde chuckled slightly, not inclined to argue further over the formalities Riley wished to discard.
“I’ve come to deliver some news today,” Clyde said.
“Good news, I hope?”
“Yes, I believe you’ll be pleased.”
Encouraged by Riley, Clyde and Liliana took seats on the sofa. Riley gave them a curious look, clearly eager to know the nature of the news. Clyde then revealed the most significant piece of information.
“My sister has regained her voice.”
Riley’s eyes widened in shock. He quickly turned his gaze to Liliana. “Is that true!?”
Liliana smiled softly and nodded. “Yes, before I knew it, I was able to speak again.”
“I see—so that’s your voice.”
Hearing Liliana’s voice for the first time in four years, Riley’s face lit up with genuine joy. Before Clyde could speak again, Liliana continued.
“I must apologize for not informing you sooner, Your Highness. After I realized I could speak, I deliberately kept it concealed, as I had personal reasons. During that time, I’ve been studying magic privately. Now that my concerns have eased to some extent, I felt it appropriate to inform you that I have regained my voice.”
Liliana explained the situation fluently. While she had told Clyde the specific time when she regained her voice, she had no intention of revealing that to Riley. The “about a year ago” timeframe she had given Clyde was far too late in Riley’s estimation. Liliana suspected that Riley had already deduced her ability to use magic—and thus her ability to speak—well before then. She realized he might have noticed during the monster stampede two years ago. The explanation she gave Clyde would likely contradict what Riley already knew.
As expected, Riley’s next question followed the path she had anticipated.
“Concerns? Was there a reason you kept your ability to speak a secret?”
“Yes,” Liliana replied.
The moment Liliana mentioned the secret pact between the king and the duke, Riley’s expression subtly darkened. It was a slight change, barely noticeable to others, but clear to Liliana. The reason she had lost her voice and the timing of its return were not the main points of concern. Liliana knew that what would draw the most attention was her reason for keeping the fact that she could speak a secret.
“As you know, my father... well, he was the sort of man he was. Had he learned that I regained my voice, who knows what lengths he would have gone to remove me from the list of potential fiancées,” she repeated the same explanation she had given Clyde, though she kept silent on the matter of the assassination of the previous Duke Ealdred. It would not make sense to claim she had been fearful of her father being the mastermind behind the murder, as the timeline wouldn’t align. Liliana had not told Clyde that Riley had been present when the possibility of her father’s involvement was raised. It wasn’t strange for Clyde to refrain from sharing such a scandalous rumor about their family with Riley, and, as expected, Clyde remained silent, seated beside her.
Riley listened to Liliana’s explanation with a thoughtful expression. When she finished, he nodded.
“I see. So, Lady Liliana, what do you plan to do now?”
“Plan to do...?” Liliana tilted her head, unsure of his meaning.
“Do you intend to publicly announce that you’ve regained your voice, or will you keep it quiet?”
Riley’s eyes gleamed with amusement as he asked the question, as if he already knew the answer. This was precisely the topic Liliana had discussed with Clyde beforehand. Following their plan, Liliana responded calmly.
“I would appreciate Your Highness’s opinion, of course, but I do not believe there is any need to make a formal announcement. I think simply responding if asked will suffice.”
Riley didn’t nod immediately. Instead, he gazed at her, scrutinizing the seemingly delicate fiancée before him. He seemed to be probing for her true intentions. Eventually, a grin spread across his face.
“Could it be that my future fiancée is hoping to flush out those harboring ill will toward the royal family and the duke’s house?”
“I cannot claim it will be so easy to uncover such individuals, but I do believe it’s a strategy worth considering,” Liliana replied with a serene smile.
“There’s truth in that,” Riley said, crossing his arms in thought.
Clyde, who had been watching their exchange with a slightly exasperated expression, finally spoke up.
“It seems Your Highness understands my sister far better than I do.”
“Do I? There’s still much I don’t know, which is why I hope Lady Liliana will open up to me in the future,” Riley replied without missing a beat, his gaze turning toward Liliana with a hint of curiosity. It was clear he had questions he wasn’t asking in Clyde’s presence. Liliana, however, merely smiled and tilted her head slightly, not offering any further explanation. Sensing that Riley wasn’t inclined to press the matter, he brought the conversation back on track.
“In any case, be careful. I’d like to assign a ‘shadow’ to watch over you, if possible.”
“I am grateful for Your Highness’s concern, but with Olga by my side, I believe I am well-protected. Please allow your ‘shadow’ to continue serving Your Highness, as is their duty.”
Riley knew Olga’s strength, having witnessed it firsthand at the martial arts tournament. With her name invoked, he had no choice but to relent. He let out a wry chuckle before his expression turned serious once more.
“At today’s advisory council meeting, you will officially be recognized as my fiancée. The engagement ceremony, which will serve as the formal announcement, is planned for several months from now, but I intend to finalize the paperwork immediately after today’s meeting.”
“I understand.”
Typically, the engagement papers were signed and the status confirmed at the engagement ceremony. However, Riley wanted to secure Liliana’s position as his fiancée before the ceremony.
“There’s been no interference yet, but who knows when the Empire might try to meddle again,” Riley added, his voice filled with caution.
Riley's bitter words hinted at the difficulties experienced when Prince Roland and Princess Edith of the Empire had visited the kingdom on a diplomatic tour. After their departure, Riley had remained on edge, overly sensitive to any correspondence from the Empire. He was unaware of the conversation between Liliana and Prince Roland, and thus did not know that the prince had lost interest in marrying off his sister to Riley. Though some time had passed without any formal engagement proposals from the Empire, and Riley had felt somewhat reassured, the constant fear remained that the Emperor might change his mind at any moment.
With Abram Clarke, the most prominent supporter of an engagement between Riley and Princess Edith, now deceased, there was no longer a need to be wary of the kingdom’s nobility. However, the vigilance toward the Empire had yet to subside.
“The documents are all in order. Once Your Highness and Liliana have signed them, the engagement will be officially confirmed. You can rest easy,” Clyde said, offering reassurance.
Riley’s expression softened slightly at that. A small smile tugged at the corners of his lips.
Liliana’s purpose in visiting the royal palace today was nearly complete with the engagement papers ready to be signed. After the advisory council meeting, Riley, Clyde, and Liliana were scheduled to have dinner together.
After chatting for a little while longer, Riley and Clyde stood and left the room to attend the advisory council meeting. Liliana watched them go and then, accompanied by Marianne, made her way to the palace library.
*****
The advisory council meeting, the first since the death of Abram Clarke, saw several new faces in attendance.
Among them were Ulysses Pat Ealdred, the young head of the Ealdred ducal family, accompanied by Lord Playstead, leader of the Arcasian faction as his aide. Then, there was Clyde Benito Clarke, who had assumed the title of Duke of Clarke.
Although Clyde was the youngest, Lucian Kennys, standing in as a proxy for Marquis Kennys of the frontier, was also considered part of the younger generation. Lucian, wearing a sly grin, cast a curious glance toward Clyde as he entered. However, Clyde, unfazed, offered his greetings and calmly took his seat, a composure that momentarily caused Lucian's eyes to widen in surprise.
Once all the members had gathered, Count Mellars began to speak.
"Since it appears that everyone is present, let us commence the advisory council meeting. But first, let me introduce those attending for the first time."
The first to be introduced was Lord Playstead. His face, exuding a bewitching allure, showed no emotion. A man of considerable renown within social circles, he merely nodded to the other nobles without offering a formal introduction. His arrogance was evident, but none dared voice any objections.
Next was Clyde’s turn. Being a newcomer to the world of high society, Clyde rose courteously and delivered a formal greeting. The nobles seated around him could be broadly divided into three groups: those who were indifferent, those assessing him carefully, and those who regarded him favorably.
"A swift generational shift, and among the highest-ranking nobles at that," murmured Marquis Finch, clearly referring to the Ealdred, Clarke, and Kennys families. Lord Playstead turned his eyes toward him, and Finch, sensing the silent pressure, awkwardly fell silent. With that, Lord Playstead, having quieted the man without uttering a word, folded his arms and looked ahead.
"Now, for the first item on the agenda—"
Earl Mellars continued.
There were two matters to be discussed in today's council: the formal decision of the crown prince's fiancée and the appointment of the next chancellor.
While the late Duke Abram Clark had appointed a secretary, he had left the position of vice chancellor vacant. Normally, the vice chancellor would step in to fill the absence of the chancellor, and in some cases, be promoted to the role. However, at present, no such candidate existed. With ongoing negotiations with other nations, it was imperative to quickly decide on the next chancellor.
---
Comments
Post a Comment