Hero Sensei: My Students Are Fighting Monsters, Aliens, and Mysterious Organizations volume 3 chapter 17

Ren

   Here is the link for the volume 3 chapter 17

--



Chapter 17: Ayato's Secret (+Ξ±)


"Ah, Aiba-sensei, good morning!"

​On the day after the Kukami crisis, as I was walking toward Meiran Academy in the morning, a voice called out to me from behind.

​It was Shirane Hitori-san, a fellow rookie teacher who had joined the school at the same time as me. She was a bright, attractive woman with chestnut hair falling to her shoulders and distinct, clear features.

​Shirane-san hopped off her bicycle and began walking alongside me.

"Good morning, Shirane-sensei. It's rare to meet you on the morning commute."

"I usually take a train one slot earlier, but I ended up oversleeping a bit today."

"Are you tired again, by any chance?"

"I was up late yesterday researching teaching materials... Lately, I haven't had a single day where I felt 'today's lesson went perfectly,' and I was starting to feel like I can't go on like this."

"Wow, you're incredibly diligent, Shirane-sensei. Personally, I feel like my lessons have already devolved into pure autopilot lately."

"Oh, stop that. By the way, after your heroics the other day, you've become quite a topic of conversation even in the middle school department, Aiba-sensei."

"I heard about that from Miruma-san. But hasn't the gossip died down by now?"

"I suppose so. Kids that age lose interest quickly, so they've probably moved on to other topics. Though, Miruma-san is in your club, so she still talks about you a bit."

"Her health is completely fine now, right?"

"Yes, in fact, she seems much brighter than before. Her friends have even been teasing her, saying, 'So even the Saint changes when she's in love.'"

"Ah, teenage girls certainly love that kind of gossip, don't they?"

​While she was indeed brighter, the observation that some psychological shift had occurred was remarkably sharp. As a former Hero, I wanted to propose the theory that people simply change once they gain confidence through martial arts training, but I kept that to myself.

​Shirane-san shot me a brief, deadpan look before turning her gaze forward to continue.

"Come to think of it, Daimon-san is also attending your club, isn't she? Ever since she transferred in, she's always been with Miruma-san, but what kind of girl is she?"

​Daimon referred to Ayato. Shirane-san probably didn't have much contact with her.

"Hmm, she's basically a girl who's highly skilled in martial arts. She speaks and acts quite maturely, but she seems to love fighting—or rather, she just loves physical activity."

"So she is exactly as she looks. The students say she's incredibly cool, but she also seems somewhat elusive."

"I feel the same way. Actually, this might be perfect timing..."

​Though it was an emergency, I had borrowed Ayato's strength yesterday. I did have a favor owed to me by the secret organization behind her, White Fox, but relying on her strength without speaking to her guardian, Director Kochihara, was a bad look. Given my ongoing curiosity about Ayato's circumstances, it might be a good idea to contact Director Kochihara.

​


​After morning homeroom ended, I called Soutou out into the hallway.

"What's the matter, Sensei?"

"Ah, sorry. I wanted to ask you a quick question about Ayato-san."

​Hearing this, Soutou's face immediately contorted into a pout.

"Calling me out so suddenly just to talk about another girl is incredibly mean!"

"What are you even talking about?"

"Well, you rarely call me out like this, Sensei. I was so excited, and then you hit me with this? What a massive letdown!"

"Don't go cooking up bizarre expectations on your own. Regarding Ayato-san, I dragged her into that mess yesterday without permission, right? I feel bad about it, so I was thinking I should have a word with her guardian."

"Ehh~? You're so fastidious, Sensei. More importantly, I think you're treating me way too lightly! I was dragged into that mess yesterday too, you know!"

"Your role was merely assisting Aouji-san. If you want to complain, take it up with her."

"Hmph! If you're going to be like that, I won't help you anymore, Sensei!"

​Soutou turned her head away with a huff. But she was being naive; I still held the upper hand.

"Oh? In that case, I guess you won't be needing the Gae Bolg anymore."

"Ah! Right, about Ayato-chan! Her guardian is Director Kochihara, so you'll want to get in touch with him!"

"Hm? Director Kochihara's daughter... No, that can't be. Is she another one with a complicated past?"

​Soutou's expression turned uncharacteristically solemn, and she nodded.

"She has a lot going on, but it's not my place to tell you, Sensei. It would be best to hear it directly from the Director. Though, I don't know how much he'll actually share with you."

"I see... Got it. I'll ask her after school."

"Please do. Oh, and also, don't go getting too close to Ayato-chan and pulling any weird moves, okay? Things are already incredibly chaotic around you as it is."

​Soutou cast a brief, meaningful glance toward Aouji and Niira as she spoke.

"Chaotic? Is Ayato-san's background really that heavy? I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the heads-up."

"Sigh... I have a feeling you completely missed the point, but I suppose there's no helping it. You're just like that, Sensei," Soutou muttered, letting out an exasperated sigh of resignation.

​I couldn't quite fathom why she was looking at me with such pity, but I suppose it just meant I was still green as an educator. Lately, it felt like my Hero duties had been taking center stage anyway. I resolved to learn from Shirane-sensei's diligence and apply myself more.

​


​After school, it was time for our usual General Martial Arts Club practice.

​Perhaps due to yesterday's events, everyone seemed even more fired up than usual.

​Aouji and Amano-san were especially spirited. They had apparently tried utilizing Magic Hardening during yesterday's Abyss Cave run, and they excitedly reported to me that "It made us incredibly strong!" Seeing the tangible results of their hard work had clearly boosted their motivation.

​But the one who had become even more dedicated was Miruma. Yesterday's incident must have left a massive impact on her. She was tackling both her physical conditioning and her magic manipulation with unprecedented seriousness. Honestly, with her immense mana reserves, simply refining her Magic Projection would allow her to easily blow away a car. For the sake of her own safety, I wanted her to keep pushing herself.

​As for Ayato, who was my main concern, she had begun practicing Magic Hardening today instead of Magic Projection. She was supposed to be one of White Fox's ultimate assets alongside Soutou, and she seemed fully aware of that responsibility. Despite still being of middle school age, she carried an incredibly heavy burden on her shoulders.

​Once the training wrapped up and everyone began packing up their things, I gestured for Ayato to come over.

"What is it, Sensei?"

"Ah, well, about yesterday. I dragged you into that sudden trouble without warning, didn't I? I wanted to extend my apologies to Director Kochihara. Would you mind putting me in touch with him?"

"I actually told him about it last night, and he said it wasn't a problem, so you don't need to worry," she replied casually.

"It doesn't quite work that way in the adult world. Even if we're told it's fine, there are things we need to confirm face-to-face."

"Ah, I see. I suppose that's how it goes. Understood, I'll arrange a meeting for you. When would be best?"

"Preferably as soon as possible. Tomorrow, if possible."

"Tomorrow is Saturday. As long as no urgent trouble crops up on our end, it should be fine. I'll contact you directly once the details are locked in, Sensei."

"Please do. Also, I'd like to meet your parents at some point as well, if that's alright..."

​The moment the words left my mouth, a dark, fleeting shadow passed over Ayato's eyes. As I suspected, there was a story there.

"I'm sorry, but you won't be able to meet my parents, Sensei. They are no longer in this world."

"I'm sorry to hear that. My apologies for bringing it up."

"It's fine. You didn't know, so don't worry about it. The Director is my guardian now, so you can talk to him about everything."

"Understood. I'll do that."

​Good, this would allow me to dig a bit deeper into Ayato's circumstances.

​Glancing over, I noticed Niira was watching us with interest. I wondered if I could pry some information out of Director Kochihara regarding whatever the Galactic Federation's Independent Judge was investigating.

​


​When I returned to my apartment, true to our Friday night routine, the cynical magical girl Rirara was already lounging comfortably on my bed.

​Since her presence had been officially sanctioned by the principal, I had entered a state of complete resignation. Besides, she had become a lot more honest lately, so I didn't feel the need to treat her too coldly anymore.

"Welcome back, Old-man-sensei. It felt like you were gone for about three days. Did something happen?"

"I was busy saving lives at the edge of the universe."

"There you go with your jokes again... wait, you're actually serious, aren't you? Was it something to do with Niira-senpai?"

"Exactly. We even fought a space battleship."

"Ehh... But since you're the one saying it, it must be true. The legendary Hero is really out of his mind."

"Well, yeah. The Demon King was completely out of his mind too. The guy could casually vaporize entire continents."

​Rirara sat up on the bed, her face alight with curiosity.

"You mentioned him before, but what was the Demon King actually like?"

"What was he like...? Well, his magic power was off the charts, his body was massive and incredibly sturdy, and he was peerless as both a warrior and a mage. On top of that, he had a massive army of powerful subordinates like the Four Heavenly Kings, and he was dead serious about conquering the entire continent."

"So he was basically just a super-powered version of a normal human?"

"Usually, he maintained a humanoid appearance. But when he revealed his true nature and transformed, he turned into an absolute monster. His subordinates were a mixed bag too—some looked perfectly human, while others were grotesque beasts."

"Hmm. Sounds exactly like a smartphone game."

"The concept might be similar, but what we did over there was a bloody battle to the death."

"And you fought and won against a monster like that. I guess that explains your ridiculous strength. By the way, if I had been in that era, how would I have fared?"

"Hmm... You'd probably be strong enough to defeat the subordinate immediately below the lieutenants of the Four Heavenly Kings. That's actually not bad."

"I have no idea what 'the one below the lieutenant of the Four Heavenly Kings' is supposed to mean. But based on our conversation the other day, they're trying to resurrect that Demon King, aren't they?"

​Rirara was referring to the information I'd received from Carmilla. The government of the other world was apparently trying to revive the "Demon King" to process "Illegal Magical Waste." However, whether that entity was truly the Demon King remained highly dubious.

"It's likely just 'something resembling the Demon King' rather than the man himself. Well, it doesn't really concern this world anyway."

"True. I don't care about that world anymore either. But if something happens over there, the funds might stop flowing. That would be a problem."

"Do they send you money from over there?"

"Not money itself, but items I can exchange for cash here. The principal buys them from me."

"I see. So that's how the system works."

"Otherwise, I wouldn't bother with these missions. But if that stream dries up... Old-man-sensei, you'll have to support me."

​Rirara climbed onto my lap as she spoke. She shot me a subtle, coquettish glance. Was she actually trying to seduce me at her age? No, surely not. She was likely just being coddled.

"Why me? The principal would surely look after you."

"Ehh, what's wrong with you doing it? Oh, that reminds me—you need to buy a bigger bed. This one is way too narrow."

"Don't change the subject so drastically."

"Just change it. And do it quickly. Preferably by next Friday."

"Why next Friday of all times?"

"Just do it. Once next Friday comes, all the mysteries will be solved. If you don't buy it, I'll tell everyone that I'm sleeping with you, Old-man-sensei."

"Ehh..."

​Rirara seemed dead serious, but the lack of context left me completely bewildered. It seemed my level was still far too low to comprehend the inner workings of a young girl's mind.

​While I was standing there utterly perplexed, my phone rang.

​It was a message from Ayato-san, informing me that I would be able to meet Director Kochihara tomorrow evening. I could only hope the conversation would be within the realm of what a Hero could comprehend.



​The following day, after assisting Rirara with her magic training in the afternoon, I headed toward the location Ayato-san had designated in the evening.

​Using ‘Flight’ magic with active concealment, I landed in front of a two-story reinforced concrete building in the suburbs. At a glance, it looked like an ordinary corporate office, but it bore absolutely no signs or labels. Only the three cars parked in the lot suggested it was in use.

​Once I deactivated my concealment magic, Ayato-san emerged from the building's entrance.

"I've been waiting for you, Sensei. This way, please."

​The interior of the building was equally austere, resembling the White Fox safehouse I had visited during Miruma-san's incident. I suppose that was only natural for buildings serving the same purpose within the same organization.

Ayato-san turned to face me in front of a door labeled "Director's Office."

"Director Kochihara is inside. I'll head back to my room, so call me if you need anything."

"Got it. Thank you."

​As I expressed my gratitude, Ayato-san bowed politely and disappeared down the hallway.

​I knocked on the door of the Director's Office and stepped inside upon hearing a response.

"Good evening, Aiba-sensei. I must apologize for making you worry about Ayato's situation."

​The leader of the special task force White Fox, Director Kochihara, welcomed me with his usual handsome, spectacled face. At his invitation, I sat across from him on the sofa as he prepared some tea.

"I apologize for dropping in so suddenly. I wanted to express my regrets regarding yesterday's incident and ask a few questions about Ayato-san."

"Fumu. Regarding yesterday, there is no need for apologies. If anything, I am grateful you provided her with such valuable experience. A stage where she can enter an Abyss Cave and battle Abyss beasts is something even we cannot easily arrange, after all."

"I appreciate you saying that, but..."

"Please feel free to utilize her whenever the need arises. She will likely be thrilled. What she needs most right now is experience. If she can gain that under your guidance, Aiba-sensei, then it is a win-win situation for us as well."

"Are you certain it is appropriate to treat her that way? To me, she is still first and foremost a middle school student."

​Director Kochihara adjusted his glasses and let out a soft hum.

"You mentioned wanting to ask about Ayato. Do you mean to ask about the nature of her existence?"

"Ah... Yes, indeed. I would like to know the secret behind her extraordinary physical abilities."

"Ku, fufu. From our perspective, your power is far more extraordinary. But since you have already shared that you are a Hero from another world, I see no reason to keep Ayato's circumstances a secret from you. Tell me, Sensei, what do you suspect her secret to be?"

​Director Kochihara's glasses gleamed. He wasn't about to give up the information easily. Judging by his question, he wanted to gauge my level of awareness before deciding how much to disclose.

"Actually, I have encountered someone with a very similar constitution before."

"Oh...?"

"They are known as 'Illegal Ones.' Have you heard of them?"

"No, that is a new term to me. Which world does that language originate from?"

"The Galactic Federation," I replied.

​Director Kochihara closed his eyes and nodded. "I see."

"They use a special drug refined from Abyss Drops to enhance the human body, and those individuals are referred to as 'Illegal Ones.' I have actually battled an 'Illegal One' myself. Ayato-san's physical capabilities feel remarkably similar in nature to theirs."

​This was the true identity of the sensation Niira and I had felt upon seeing Ayato. Her abnormal physical capabilities bore a striking resemblance to those of the "Illegal Ones."

"So that is how it is... Very well, there is indeed no need to hide anything from you. To think a similar process is being used at the far edge of the cosmos... I suppose this is what they call synchronicity."

​Director Kochihara smiled faintly and sat up straighter.

"Just as you suspected, Ayato gained her superhuman strength through the administration of a drug refined from Abyss Drops. However, I must clarify that this was entirely a side effect."

"A side effect? You mean the enhancement wasn't the primary goal?"

"Indeed. She originally suffered from an incurable terminal illness. To save her life, her parents researched the Abyss Drops and formulated a medicine. The resulting administration cured her, but it also bestowed upon her that extraordinary power."

"That sounds incredibly reckless, to be honest..."

"Of course, if we were to delve into the details of the research and the circumstances surrounding it, there is a lengthy history. But explaining that would serve little purpose now, wouldn't you agree?"

"Fair enough. By the way, she mentioned she doesn't have parents. What happened to them?"

​Director Kochihara's eyes darkened, and his voice carried a trace of pain.

"That is a painful topic for me as well. Those who sought to seize the research on the Drops targeted her parents, ultimately resulting in the deaths of both."

​He lowered his gaze. Since her parents were researching the Drops, they were likely members of White Fox. Director Kochihara clearly harbored deep regret over his inability to protect them.

"Was it Crimson Twilight that targeted her parents?"

"Yes. That is why she harbors a burning desire for revenge against Crimson Twilight. Out of necessity, she has ended up in her current position. Her combat-oriented nature stems from that very drive."

"I see..."

​The weight of her past left a dull ache in my chest. Whether in the other world or this one, it seemed tragic pasts were destined to gravitate toward me—first Rirara, then Kukami-san, and now Ayato-san. The fact that I, the Hero, was so carefree in comparison made me feel incredibly guilty.

"Therefore, Aiba-sensei, I would like you to make Ayato even stronger. Strong enough to stand against Crimson Twilight's executives—such as Kzello, was it?"

"Is keeping her away from the battlefield not an option?"

"We have attempted to do so countless times, of course. This is the conclusion we reached after all those failed attempts."

​Director Kochihara's eyes held a mixture of resignation and profound pity. Any decent adult would want to shield a young girl from conflict. If she was being sent to the battlefield despite that, it simply meant her resolve was too absolute to be swayed.

"...Also, this might be redundant, but Soutou-san is in a similar situation. I want you to know that we do not actively recruit girls like them into White Fox out of malice. I like to believe I am not that heartless."

"I understand. Thank you for telling me."

​I had pried into her secrets only to find an even larger storm. Even that bubbly, small-animal-like girl Souta-san had a dark history of her own. I cursed my own ignorance for failing to notice until now.



​Leaving Director Kochihara's office, I headed toward the room I had been told was Ayato's. However, there was no answer when I knocked. A passing White Fox staff member suggested she might be in the training room, so I directed my steps there.

​The training room was roughly twice the size of a standard martial arts dojo, fully equipped with various training machinery. At the far end, on a matted section, Ayato was engaged in a three-on-one sparring session against White Fox operatives.

Ayato was bare-handed, while the three operatives wielded batons and tactical shields. Despite the sparring designation, the exchange was thick with lethal intent. Yet, Ayato was completely dominating the field.

​Though the operatives were highly skilled, a single kick from Ayato sent them flying along with their shields. Within moments, the three lay flat on the floor, bringing the sparring session to an end.

"Ah, Sensei! Is your conversation finished?"

Ayato noticed my presence and relaxed her stance.

"Thanks to you, yes," I replied.

​As I spoke, I cast [Recovery Magic] on the fallen operatives. It was a standard part of my routine, but I used it as a silent gesture of gratitude for their hard work.

"I assume you heard about my circumstances?"

"Yeah, I heard the gist of it. Most of it fell in line with my expectations, so I wasn't particularly shocked."

"You really do know a lot of things, Sensei. But I'm glad you still treat me normally without being taken aback."

"Well, when it comes to sheer abnormal power, I'm the biggest offender here anyway. Want me to accompany you for some training?"

"That would be a massive help. I can't exactly go all out at school, after all."

​For the next hour, I accompanied Ayato in her sparring. Before I knew it, a gallery of about ten people—including Director Kochihara—had gathered to watch us intently. We even engaged in exchanges of magic power, which seemed to leave the onlookers thoroughly stunned.


"Phew... Haah... Sparring with you is definitely the toughest, Sensei. Compared to this, those Abyss beasts are nothing."

"I'm not called a Hero for show, you know. By the way, why don't you use firearms, Ayato-san?"

"Guns are terrifying. They can easily involve innocent bystanders. Besides, my physical strikes pack the absolute most power anyway."

"That's true."

​As we spoke, the gathered onlookers gradually dispersed back to their own training. Director Kochihara gave me a nod of approval before leaving the training room.

​Once his figure vanished, Ayato sat up straighter and fixed her gaze on me.

"By the way, Sensei... you've met and spoken directly with the executives of Crimson Twilight, right?"

"You mean Kzello? Yes, I have."

"Do you think I could defeat him as I am now?"

Ayato's eyes were filled with an uncharacteristic intensity. To her, Kzello was likely the murderer of her parents.

"...Honestly? You would lose a hundred times out of a hundred battles. Even to my eyes, Kzello is an incredibly proficient magic user. His physically reinforced martial arts are undoubtedly top-tier as well. Frankly, if all of White Fox fought him head-on, you'd likely be wiped out in an instant."

"Is he really that formidable? Then why hasn't he taken action directly?"

"Who knows. He seems obsessed with refining his synthetic soldiers. Perhaps he simply wants test subjects to evaluate their performance. Or maybe the regional executives are busy keeping each other in check."

Kzello possessed power comparable to the Demon King's Four Heavenly Kings. A figure of that caliber, depending on compatibility, could easily decimate the military of a mid-sized modern nation on Earth. While modern weaponry could theoretically defeat him if deployed in massive quantities, someone like Kzello would never place himself in such a vulnerable position to begin with.

​Yet, organizational leaders often found themselves constrained by their positions. Even the Four Heavenly Kings of the Demon King's army, who valued strength above all else, rarely moved freely due to various political shackles.

"That is incredibly frustrating. It feels like he's looking down on us."

"You could look at it that way. But that's exactly why catching him off guard and striking him from the side is so satisfying."

"I see. But with your strength, Sensei, couldn't you simply crush him head-on?"

"Well, yes. But I feel it's not my place to solve everything. Though, if he targets me directly, I'll deal with him."

"Fumu. So you have your own criteria as well, Sensei—"

​Before Ayato could finish her sentence, an electronic chime rang from the corner of the room. It was coming from her bag.

​She hurried over to retrieve her phone. Seeing the sudden tension that gripped her features, I immediately knew trouble had arisen.

"What is it?"

"It's an emergency. Miruma-san has been caught in some sort of trouble. It appears to be a kidnapping."

​


"Experiencing this in person is truly mind-blowing..." Ayato muttered, clinging to my neck.

​I was currently carrying her bridal-style while flying through the night sky with [Flight] magic. We were, of course, heading toward the location of the kidnapped Miruma-san. Our only lead was the signal from the emergency transmitter Ayato had entrusted to her. Ayato was tracking the location on her phone, her eyes fixed on the display.

"How much further?" I asked.

"On the map, about three kilometers. The signal is moving, so they must be in a vehicle."

"It's a good thing Miruma-san kept that transmitter on her."

"Yes. I instructed her to keep it on her person even when she sleeps."

"Wise decision."

"Ah, they should be on that road down there! Can you pick them out with your magic, Sensei?"

Ayato pointed toward a double-lane main road below. Despite the late hour, the traffic was moderate, with numerous headlights streaming back and forth.

​Expanding my detection, I picked up a magic signature matching Miruma's moving along the road. Maintaining our concealment, we flew closer and identified the target: a white commercial van. It was a standard cargo vehicle, certainly not the kind of car a family would use for a late-night drive.

"What's the plan, Sensei?"

"Well, stopping the car is simple, but doing it on a busy road like this could cause a major pileup. It would be ideal if they turned onto a side street..."

​As if on cue, the white van signaled and turned onto a quiet, low-traffic side road.

​I immediately cast [Binding Magic], slowly choking the van's engine to a halt. The vehicle decelerated over a span of a hundred meters before pulling over and stopping on the shoulder.

​I touched down near the van and set Ayato down. We were in a quiet residential area, and since it was past seven o'clock, there were no pedestrians in sight.

​Inside the van, the driver was frantically attempting to restart the engine. No one had made a move to step out of the vehicle yet.

"I'll initiate contact. Once I give the signal, open the door and secure her."

"Understood."

​Ensuring Ayato had positioned herself at the rear of the van, I walked up and knocked on the driver's window.

​The driver was a man in his thirties with a hostile expression, though he appeared to be an ordinary human. He initially ignored me, but after I knocked again, he rolled down the window with an irritated sigh.

"What do you want? I'm busy. My car suddenly broke down here."

"Yes, I am aware, since I am the one who stopped it. By the way, what is your relationship with Miruma-san?"

"Huh? What kind of nonsense are you spouting?"

​The driver scoffed, but before I could press further, the man in the passenger seat spoke up. "Hey, isn't that guy related to the girl in the back? Her name was definitely Miruma."

​And just like that, their guilt was established.

"Alright, Ayato-san! You can go ahead!"

"Roger!"

Ayato went to open the rear door, but finding it locked, she simply tore it off its hinges with a sickening screech of metal. I was glad I had cast a silence barrier beforehand.

​Two men tumbled out of the back, only to be instantly blown away by Ayato's precise strikes. She stepped into the van and emerged carrying Miruma in her arms. Though gagged, Miruma-san appeared to be physically unharmed.

"You bastard! Are you the cops?! How the hell did you get here so fast?!"

​The driver and passenger attempted to scramble out of the front seats, but I bound them in place with [Binding Magic].

"What the... Why can't we move our bodies?!"

"Now, before the authorities arrive, why don't we have a little chat? Regarding your motives for this kidnapping, of course," I said, stepping closer as the men's faces paled.

​


​Our subsequent interrogation revealed that the incident was a straightforward kidnapping for ransom. They had somehow learned of Miruma's healing abilities and planned to sell her to an overseas organization.

​The perpetrators weren't affiliated with any major syndicate; rather, they had taken on the job through one of those shady online gig-economy boards popular among criminals. There was no connection to Crimson Twilight.

​Leaving the post-incident cleanup to Director Kochihara, Ayato, Miruma, and I waited beneath a streetlamp for her parents to arrive.

​Though Miruma had been terrified, she had calmed down significantly after I cast [Calm Magic] on her, though she still clung tightly to my arm.

Ayato watched us with an exasperated sigh, looking away.

"I am truly sorry for causing you so much trouble once again, Sensei. My parents also insisted on properly thanking you..."

"You'll have plenty of things to settle after this, so we can worry about that later. Instead, I merely assisted; the credit for your rescue belongs to Ayato-san," I said.

​Hearing this, Miruma bowed deeply to Ayato. "Daimon-san, thank you so much."

"I told you, you don't need to thank me. That's what I'm here for, so please don't let it weigh on you. I'm just glad you're safe. But what were you doing out alone at this hour anyway?"

"On Saturdays, I usually walk to pick up my younger brother from his cram school since it's close by. But on the way there, they forced me into the van..."

"I see. They must have mapped out your routine. But even if it's close, walking alone at night is highly dangerous, Miruma-san."

"I'm sorry. Since it's within our neighborhood, I thought it would be fine. I never imagined I would be targeted like this..."

"Well, I suppose that's only natural," Ayato sighed, her expression turning somber.

​She likely wanted to lecture her about being naive, but from Miruma's perspective, being forced to live under constant surveillance and restriction simply because of her innate abilities was deeply unfair. It was a difficult subject for Ayato to broach.

​As her teacher, it fell on me to deliver the hard truth.

"You might find it unfair, Miruma-san, but given the nature of your power, you must remain vigilant."

"Sensei... Yes, I'm sorry."

"Even if you possess magic, reacting to a sudden crisis is incredibly difficult. The most important defense is simply not leaving any openings."

"This incident made me realize that. When the time came, I was too terrified to even move... When we entered the Abyss Cave together, I felt fine, but I suppose real-world crises are entirely different."

"Indeed. Even though people call me a Hero, I couldn't fight properly at first either. That is simply how humans are."

"Even you, Sensei? I understand. I will make sure to be far more careful from now on."

"That is wise. You are highly attractive and eye-catching, Miruma-san, so you can never be too careful. At least Meiran Academy is an all-girls school, which offers some security."

​I recalled the time she had been hit on by high school boys. Even a simple walk through the city presented a challenge for her. Knowing that male-driven threats were the primary cause made me feel rather self-conscious as a man.

​As I was reflecting on this, I noticed Miruma had turned bright red, looking down. Beside her, Ayato was staring at me with a distinctly damp, heavy gaze. That look in her eyes... was she channeling Aouji right now?

​Before I could unravel the awkward atmosphere, a car pulled up in front of us. Miruma's parents had arrived.

​Her parents, both striking individuals (her mother appeared to be of foreign descent), thanked us profusely before taking her home. They would likely have to deal with the police next, but the immediate crisis was resolved.

"Well, that's that. Shall we fly back, Ayato-san?" I was about to say, when a strange mana signature caught my attention. Ayato had apparently sensed it too, turning her gaze in the same direction.

"My, I sensed quite a massive pool of magic power so I came to check. Are one of you the 'Hero imposter' Kzello was talking about?"

​Emerging from the shadows like a stain spreading across fabric was a boy who appeared to be around Ayato's age. He had messy red hair, sharp sanpaku eyes, and a thoroughly frivolous expression. He approached us soundlessly, his gaze calculating.

​


"Forgive me, but who might you be?" I asked.

​The red-haired boy grunted, scratched his head, and clicked his tongue. He seemed entirely lacking in manners.

"Ah, right. No way a local would know who I am. I'm Regusa, an elite directly under the Demon Clan. Though, back home, I'm pretty famous as the 'Red Fangs.'"

"The Demon Clan, the Red Fangs... And what business does an elite have with us?"

"I was ordered to eliminate the Hero imposter in this world. So, which one of you is it?"

"I'm not an imposter; I'm the Hero himself. If Kzello is targeting me, then I'm your man."

"Ahn? You don't look like much, but your magic power is decent. Since Kzello warned me, I guess you're not a total pushover."

"Kzello isn't even worth my time. But I recall him saying he would send multiple assassins."

​My words clearly struck a nerve. The boy—Regusa—bared his fangs. Upon closer inspection, I noticed small, animalistic ears nestled within his messy hair. A beastman, then.

"Well, yeah, but if I can handle it alone, why bother waiting?"

​The moment the words left his mouth, Regusa vanished. It was [High-Speed Movement], and it was easily twice as fast as Geisel's.

​I thrust my right hand out to the side. A heavy impact vibrated through my arm, and Regusa materialized at the end of it.

​His claws, sharp and glinting, had been aimed directly at my throat.

"Are you kidding me? You actually reacted to that?"

"I am the Hero, after all. But you're indeed an elite. Quite formidable."

"It's annoying how relaxed you are, but I guess Kzello had a point," Regusa muttered, using [High-Speed Movement] once more to back away.

"I think I'll limit today to a greeting. You said you wouldn't run, right? Once everyone is gathered, I'll come find you again."

​Judging by his wild aura, I had expected him to charge recklessly, but Regusa was surprisingly calculating. An elite indeed.

​As he turned to leave, Ayato, who had remained silent until now, suddenly stepped forward.

"Wait a minute. Since you're here, why don't you greet me as well?"

"Ahn? What's this, are you a girl? You want to play with me?"

​Regusa licked his lips in a thoroughly vulgar display.

"You seem reasonably strong, after all. I've been short on opponents I can go all out against, so playing with you would be a massive help."

"Heh, you've got some decent magic power yourself. This world is turning out to be quite entertaining."

"If you play with me, I promise the teacher here won't interfere. Right, Sensei?"

Ayato's eyes were dead serious. She wanted to test her strength against a Crimson Twilight combatant, and perhaps find a lead on her parents' murderers.

​However, from what I could see, she was slightly outmatched. While her raw capacity was comparable to his, the difference in actual combat experience was immense.

"...Well, just don't overdo it."

​As a Hero, I couldn't bring myself to deny someone who wished to test their strength. Besides, I could always regenerate a lost limb if things went south.

"Hear that? Let's begin."

Ayato lunged forward with [High-Speed Movement], aiming a heavy blow.

​But Regusa countered with a swift claw strike, forcing her to back off. Still, Regusa hadn't escaped completely unscathed; a graze marked his cheek.

"A skill user? Now this is getting interesting!"

​Regusa bared his fangs, vanishing into a blur of [High-Speed Movement]. Ayato matched his pace, and the two clashed repeatedly on the deserted street. Their fists and claws collided in a flurry of sparks, both taking minor damage before backing away, only to plunge right back into the fray.

​Regusa held the advantage in speed, but Ayato possessed superior raw power, utilizing Magic Hardening to deflect his claws. Yet, the difference in battle experience was gradually taking its toll.

"Kuh!"

​After a particularly fierce exchange, Ayato leaped backward, three deep claw marks scoring her right shoulder.

"Not bad!" Regusa grinned, baring his fangs as he lunged forward in a straight line. Ayato had shown an opening while clutching her shoulder. But it was a trap.

Ayato instantly fell into a stance for Magic Projection, aiming a counter-blast directly at the oncoming Regusa.

"Too naive!"

​But Regusa's experience won out. He shifted his trajectory mid-air, leaping upward to evade the blast, and descended with his claws aimed directly at her throat.

"Pardon me, but let's call it a day."

​Before his claws could breach her jugular, I kicked Regusa aside. I had broken my promise, but I kept the blow gentle enough to ensure he survived.

"Tsk! Throwing water on a fight is the absolute worst. You really are an imposter, aren't you?"

​Regusa recovered his footing and spat. Well, I was indeed the one in the wrong here.

"You won this round, without a doubt. Next time, I'll face you with everything I've got, so forgive me," I said, bowing slightly.

​My lack of hostility seemed to drain the venom from his posture.

"...Tsk, ruined my mood. Well, it was a decent workout, so I'll let it slide. But there won't be a next time. You'll play with me until the end."

"Of course."

​Regusa clicked his tongue once more and vanished into the darkness. Despite his foul manners, he withdrew surprisingly easily, unlike Geisel. But if multiple combatants of his caliber were arriving, I would indeed have to get a bit serious.

"I'm sorry... I got cocky and showed you such a pathetic display, Sensei..." Ayato muttered, her voice trembling as she clenched her fists.

​I cast [Recovery Magic] on her wound and draped my cloak over her shoulders.

"It's fine. Fighting when you have the opportunity isn't a bad thing. But everything requires steps. He simply possessed far more combat experience than you. That gap can only be bridged by surviving more battles. In that sense, today was a valuable lesson."

"I think... this was the first time I felt true terror. I thought I had already faced death once before, but..."

​She was likely referring to the incident where her parents were killed. While Director Kochihara hadn't disclosed the details, her deep-seated desire for revenge suggested she had witnessed the tragedy.

"If you want to get stronger, I'll help you. But the training will be far more intense than before. I might even bring you to the brink of death, you know?"

​At my words, Ayato let out a soft, dry laugh.

"Yes, please. I'm incredibly fortunate to have you train me, Sensei."

​She took a deep breath and looked up, her resolve renewed. It was a sudden, chaotic event, but it seemed to have served as a turning point for her.

​Now, while her training regimen was locked in, the term "Demon Clan" Regusa had used weighed on my mind. It implied multiple individuals of Kzello's caliber existed, with numerous elites under them. Strengthening White Fox was an urgent matter. Perhaps I should begin training Soutou-san as well.



​―― Crimson Twilight Japan Branch, Briefing Room


"Hey, Regusa, I heard you jumped the gun again?"

"Ahn? You're wrong, Rouna. I was just taking a walk and happened to run into the target, that's all."

"Just walking around in that form makes you stick out like a sore thumb, you idiot. There are no beastmen in this world."

"I know that. I didn't let any civilians see me. Besides, Kzello told us not to engage with the locals anyway."

"Honestly... Did you at least get a good look at him? The fact that you came back without a fight suggests you couldn't handle him alone?"

"He's an annoying bastard, but he's got real strength. The rumors about him rivaling the Demon Clan seem to be true."

"Heh... To think you actually withdrew. You've grown a bit, haven't you?"

"Shut up. And there was another decent fighter there too. I was about to finish her off when the Hero intervened."

"Aside from the Hero? Fumu, this world is proving to be quite entertaining."

"Seems so. By the way, when are the other two arriving?"

"They should be here shortly. Though, Kzello told us not to act immediately even after we gather. Apparently, he's executing another plan while we serve as a distraction."

"Tsk, how boring. I finally found a decent opponent, and now I have to wait?"

"Well, those royal spies from the capital were a total letdown last time. A descendant of the Hero of this world should offer some amusement."

"He's just an imposter. If he's a real descendant, I'd love to drag him back to our world and show him what's become of the world his ancestors supposedly saved."

"My, how wicked of you, Regusa. Though I suppose we aren't exactly in a position to judge."

"Don't lump me in with you, Rouna. I don't torture people for fun."

"Such a child. By the way, is this imposter well-built? I do hope he has some meat on his bones..."



​―― Gonnouchi Heavy Machinery, President's Office


​Behind a heavy mahogany desk, in a high-backed leather chair, sat a man.

​He was a well-built, middle-aged man with black hair slicked back.

​Gonnouchi Takanori.

​The head of the Gonnouchi family, one of the prominent houses allied with the Kukamis, and the master of this office. He held a smartphone to his ear, speaking with the person on the other end.

"The next delivery is fine. Jinma has likely caught our scent. He will undoubtedly deploy his full forces to catch us in the act."

​'We have prepared forty synthetic soldiers and two hundred controlled Abyss beasts. If they take the bait, use them to settle the matter once and for all.'

"You can mobilize that many? In that case, even the Usa family and White Fox combined won't stand a chance. But what if he shows up? If he interferes, our entire plan will crumble.'

​'We have deployed our finest combatants directly from headquarters. The four of them together are capable of facing an entire nation's military. If we pit them against him at the same time, he won't have the leisure to interfere with you.'

"Fumu, quite a lineup. A diversion, then?"

​'A clichΓ© tactic, but effective. This should allow you to fulfill your desire, wouldn't you agree?'

"Indeed. He interfered with us last time, but if you can keep him occupied, I will settle our long-standing grudge with everything I have."

​'Very well. Ensure you handle the cleanup meticulously.'

"I know. To appease Kukami Touma, we must make it look like an accident."

​'We expect great things from you. For the sake of the true order.'

"Yes, for the true order. Farewell.'

​Gonnouchi ended the call and placed his smartphone on the desk. Tracing a small scar above his eye, he leaned back in his chair, closed his eyes, and whispered in a low, gravelly voice.

"...The true order. I have absolutely no interest in such things. But the Kukamis must pay the price... Midori, soon I will send your little sister-figure to your side. Make sure you give her a proper scolding..."

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

  1. Did he just let an Assassin go just like that? I know he is over power but that just seem very illogical move to make. At least track them to their hide out or something

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment