The Spirit Master Who is Thought to be Hiding His True Ability is Actually Always Fighting Seriously Volume 2 Chapter 2

Ren

 

Chapter 2: The Intruder



Time passed, and it was after school.

While most of the students were heading to the arena for the Rank Battle, I was walking toward the Student Council room when I ran into a junior I didn't particularly want to see.

"Ah, Roak-senpai."

"Ugh."

"That reaction hurts, Senpai."

My junior,Tsukikage Akari, voiced her dissatisfaction at my involuntary scowl, but contrary to her words, her expression didn't look hurt at all—she actually looked like she was having fun.

"I saw your last match. It was really interesting."

"That's the kind of feedback I can't honestly rejoice over."

What did she mean, interesting?

I made an indescribable expression at her choice of words, unable to tell if she was praising or insulting my match.

"It was a compliment, Senpai."

"Then praise me in a way that's easier to understand."

As I involuntarily sighed at my junior's teasing smile, Akari peered at my face and tilted her head, seemingly curious.

"By the way, Senpai, you don't look so energetic. Did something happen?"

"If I had to say, I'm worried you're going to go on a rampage again like during the Rank Battle."

"I just wanted to see the reactions of the people at the academy, but I'm honestly reflecting on it."

It seemed Leia and the others had given her a firm talking-to afterward, as a hint of remorse could be seen on Akari's face.

"As long as that's true, it's fine, but seriously, don't do something like that again. It gives me a heart attack."

"Okaaay, I'll be careful."

"Good. Also, try to get along with your friends."

Confirming that Akari gave a small nod, I wrapped up the conversation and quickly walked down the hallway. This girl was distinctly an anomaly among this year's incoming first-years. My best bet was to escape as fast as possible.

"..."

"..."

As I resumed my trek to the Student Council room, I heard the clack-clack of footsteps trailing me from a fixed distance, neither gaining nor falling behind.

"...Um."

"What?"

When I turned around, my eyes fell upon Akari standing at exactly the same distance, beaming happily.

"...Why are you following me?"

"It didn't seem like you were heading to the arena, so I was wondering where you were going."

"..."

Despite her smile, Akari's eyes radiated an intensity that seemed to say, I won't let you get away, and I felt myself becoming overwhelmed by the pressure.

"...Are you really that curious?"

"Yep. I'm super interested in you, Roak-senpai."

"...I'm going to the Student Council room."

I stammered slightly at her phrasing, which could have spawned a misunderstanding depending on how one took it. But having her follow me all the way to the Student Council room would be a problem, so I honestly told her my destination.

"Is that for the same reason the third- and fourth-ranked second-years were summoned recently?"

"Who knows. I feel like my case might be slightly different from theirs."

Assuming this meeting was about the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival, I had a feeling they were summoned for a positive reason while I was being called in for a negative one.

Actually, looking back, I don't think I've almost ever been called to the Student Council room for a good reason.

"Can I tag along?"

"Of course you can't."

What did she plan to do if she followed me anyway? Did she want to see the pathetic sight of me getting scolded by Misha?

"Awww."

"More importantly, you should go watch the Rank Battle. It's way more productive than following me around."

"That's not true."

"Yes, it is. Look, just go already. There's no time better spent than observing the Rank Battle."

The students' earnest matches were always a joy to watch, and there was a lot to gain from them. Especially for a half-baked guy like me; seeing the students fight through trial and error often gave me ideas for new tactics.

"Ehhh, I wanna go with you, Senpai."

"Shut it. Just go already."

"My, what a rare combination."

Just as I was trying to shoo away an Akari who showed no signs of leaving, the voice I wanted to hear least reached my ears. Directing my gaze behind Akari, I saw Misha standing there out of nowhere, holding some documents. Perhaps she too had been on her way to the Student Council room.

"What were you talking about?"

"I was asking if I could go to the Student C—"

"I was giving her advice, telling her she should go watch the Rank Battle!"

"I see. That's very good advice, just like a senior should give."

I tapped Akari on the head as she tried to say something unnecessary, frantically interrupting her. Misha nodded, looking convinced.

Excusing myself to Misha with a quick "Pardon me," I swiftly grabbed Akari's head, pulled her close, and began whispering to her.

"What are you doing?"

"I'll go along with anything you want later, so please just go back quietly for now, seriously."

"...! Okay. I'm fine with that."

"Ah, wait. 'Anything' is an exaggeration, let me set some conditions—"

"Student Council President, I'll be excusing myself now. See you later, Senpai."

I had blurted out "anything" on the spur of the moment out of sheer annoyance, but giving this girl a blank check was a terrible idea.

I reconsidered and tried to add conditions, but by then she had already slipped away from my side. Wearing a delighted smile, she walked right past Misha and left.

Her movements were incredibly fast and silent. I didn't even have time to call out to her.

"..."

"You look a bit pale. Are you all right?"

"Ahaha, I'm fine, perfectly fine."

Seeing my complexion, Misha looked worried, but I answered with a forced smile, insisting that I was fine. In reality, I had nothing but problems...

"You heard from Sena, right? Since we're here, I thought we could talk in the Student Council room, but if you're not feeling well, we can do it another day."

"I'm fine, super energetic. No problem at all."

"...? If you say so."

Though she still wore a skeptical expression, Misha seemed to accept my words. "Let's go," she prompted, and started walking.

I followed after her in silence.


*****


"Please, have a seat over there."

"Excuse me."

Entering the Student Council room, I sat down on the guest sofa just as Misha instructed.

Misha was clattering around with something in the back, leaving me with free time to look around the room.

I didn't know much about art, but there were visibly expensive-looking furnishings placed on the walls and shelves. Alongside them, certificates and championship trophies—likely from the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival—were neatly displayed in a way that didn't detract from the scenery.

Wait, come to think of it... doesn't this mean I'm locked in a room alone with Misha?

Belatedly realizing the situation—being alone in a closed room with a beautiful girl who also happened to be a princess—my tension skyrocketed.

"Here you go."

"A-Ah, thank you."

Misha returned, handing me a cup of black tea she had prepared for the both of us, and sat down in the seat across from me. I expressed my gratitude, rigid with nerves. Seeing me so stiff, Misha broke into a smile, looking as if she had just seen something amusing.

"Hehe, what's wrong? It's fine to act normally, you know."

"Well, hahaha... I suppose so."

Huh, how did I normally interact with Misha again?

My tension reached its peak, and my glitching brain temporarily forgot my usual behavior. Also, was it really okay for a princess to be alone in a closed room with a guy? No, actually, if I really thought about it, with Misha's abilities, if I tried anything funny, I'd just be saying goodbye to this world.

My mind fell into a state of minor panic.

"...I've been thinking this since earlier, but are you feeling unwell?"

"No, no, I was just trying to show my respect as a citizen."

"It feels far too late for that..."

Misha shot me a slightly exasperated look, but it seemed I had successfully hidden my inner turmoil for the time being.

"By the way, you were talking about something with Tsukikage-san. What was it about?"

"Ah, that was... Yeah, what was it, I wonder?"

"Hmm, it seems you've had a tough time."

"Well... No, it's more like it's going to happen from here on out."

"...?"

Unaware of the circumstances, Misha wore a puzzled expression as I muttered with a distant gaze, then picked up her cup and took a sip.

"Honestly, who is that girl? Judging by her movements during the Rank Battle, she's no ordinary student, right?"

"She enrolled in the academy via recommendation. Also, speaking strictly of the practical exam she took, she passed with the top score, beating even Valhart-san, our top student."

"Seriously..."

Leia possessed outstanding skill even among the first-years, but to think Akari had achieved an even higher score in the practical exam...

But since she received a recommendation, does that mean she's also a young lady from a good family? We don't get much information from the Eastern Region, so I don't know the details...

Thanks to the topic of Akari, I started to regain my composure. Shuddering at her abilities, I partook of the black tea Misha had brewed for me. Honestly, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to tea, so I don't really know the difference between good and bad, but this tea at least tasted delicious.

"How is it?"

"It's delicious."

"I'm glad to hear that."

When I gave my honest thoughts, Misha smiled happily and tilted her cup once more.

For a while, we silently enjoyed our tea. But as Misha set her cup down, her expression shifted to a serious one, and she resumed the conversation.

"Now then, let us discuss the main reason I called you here today."

"Is it about the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival?"

"If you already know, this will be quick."

Just as I had predicted, this was indeed about the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival.

"I want you to participate in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival as well."

"By the way, do I have the right to refuse?"

"You don't... is what I would like to say, but no. I'd genuinely like you to participate, though."

Figures. I knew it.

"Why? Isn't it enough if Loxley, the Committee President, and Traluus participate?"

"...Do you all coordinate your answers beforehand?"

"Same answers?"

Catching those suspicious words, I reflexively parroted her phrasing as a question.

"The two of them also refused to participate in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival, claiming it would be fine to just leave it to the other two."

"Wait, they don't plan on participating either?"

"Correct."

No way. With all that skill, why would they refuse to participate? What on earth were they thinking? Normally speaking, that's just weird...

I thought that, but realizing I probably looked exactly the same to any outside observer kept me from voicing my complaints. If anything, based purely on the reasons given in the survey, I might have written the most BS reason of all.

"By the way, what were their reasons for declining?"

"Loxley Vaubald claims he's too busy with Disciplinary Committee work, and Kei Traluus apparently just has no interest."

"...I'm in no position to talk, but those are some crazy reasons. Especially Traluus."

Mine was BS, but their reasons were weirder than I expected.

Aren't they both a bit too unmotivated for the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival? Particularly Traluus—what does he mean he has no interest? What is he talking about when faced with the highest stage?

"I agree. And 'I don't have confidence' isn't an acceptable reason for you either. That's not something a student maintaining the position of second-ranked in this academy should say."

"Well, I mean... true."

Come to think of it, it sounded like pure provocation. If the roles were reversed and someone fed me that line to get out of it, I'm confident I'd be pissed. Even if it was the truth, I should have thought of a more plausible excuse.

"...Then the reason you summoned those two earlier..."

"As you guessed, it was to persuade them. I interviewed them just like I'm doing with you, in hopes of getting them to participate in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival."

"I see..."

As Misha spoke with a sigh, I sensed her struggles and pitied her in my heart.

Persuading those two eccentric guys sounded like a massive headache. One would listen to what you had to say but ultimately ignore it, while the other wouldn't even listen and didn't speak the same language anyway. Thinking about it, it really seemed like talented people had sharp personalities.

"That's... rough. Thank you for your hard work."

"If you truly feel that way, then please, by all means, participate in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival."

"Uh, that's a bit..."

That's a different matter entirely.

"I also watched your Rank Battle the other day. You fought at that level without even summoning a contracted spirit. With your true strength, you would undoubtedly hold your own in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival. Why do you hesitate to participate?"

Misha asked in bewilderment, but she could only say that because she didn't know that was my true strength.

If I could just clearly state that fact right here and now, it would solve everything instantly, but the chicken in me couldn't muster the courage to voice those words.

"Do you truly lack that much confidence in your own abilities?"

"...Well, um."

As I remained silent, unable to provide an answer, Misha asked with a hint of impatience. Naturally, without a contracted spirit, participating in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival filled me with nothing but anxiety.

"I've wondered for a while now, but where exactly does this lack of confidence come from?"

"Huh?"

"Without exaggeration, you possess solid abilities and are recognized by those around you. You achieve excellent grades in your studies as well. Why?"

"..."

The answer boiled down to one thing: I hadn't managed to contract with a spirit.

Ultimately, no matter how much I mastered simplified contracts, swordsmanship, or spirit arts, and no matter how good my grades were, it didn't change the fact that I had no contracted spirit.

The undeniable reality that I couldn't form the bond with a spirit—a bond every spirit master naturally possessed—was constantly rejecting my very existence as a spirit master.

...Right, there's no way she'd understand if I don't tell her...

For better or worse, it was just me and Student Council President Misha in this room.

If I explained that I didn't have a contracted spirit, she would probably understand why I wouldn't participate in the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival. And if I got expelled for lacking the qualifications of a spirit master because of it... then I was starting to feel like it couldn't be helped.

...Alright, I'll tell her.

I was feeling a bit reckless, but I figured I might as well say it before I lost the nerve.

"Misha, the truth is—"

"President, it's an emergency!"

Just as I opened my mouth to speak, the door slammed open violently, and Student Council member Maris rushed in with a deeply panicked expression.

The timing was terrible. My momentum had been completely crushed.

"I believe I told you I am currently having an interview with Roak Areas, didn't I?"

"I-I'm very sorry. But this is an urgent matter!"

Though looking apologetic at the reprimand, Maris pleaded with Misha, his face painted with urgency.

Sensing from his extraordinary behavior that something was wrong, Misha checked with her eyes if it was alright to pause our conversation. Left with no choice, I nodded, and she urged Maris to continue.

"So, what is this urgent matter?"

"W-Well, it seems intruders have broken into the academy. We heard the alarm, but..."

"Intruders in the academy. It seems we were too focused on our conversation..."

"They broke through the barrier...?"

Misha and I were both stunned by the information the frantic Maris had delivered.

Given its long history, Yutrea Academy housed many valuable historical documents, treasures, and spirits. Consequently, a few individuals attempted to break into the academy every year to steal them.

However, most of them were stopped by the barriers surrounding the academy and failed to even set foot on the grounds. And even if they did manage to slip inside, they would be instantly detected by the spirit surveillance and subdued by the Gargoyles serving as security, or the Disciplinary Committee members...

Even if we were still students, I thought anyone who dared intrude upon a nest of spirit masters had some serious guts.

Because of that, I personally felt there was no need to panic this much...

"Where are the intruders now?"

"They are currently in the plaza near the annex, engaged in combat with the students who were on the scene and the Disciplinary Committee members who rushed over. But it seems the intruders are stronger than expected, and they are struggling..."

"...The Disciplinary Committee is being pushed back?"

I reflexively doubted my ears at that unexpected report and asked for confirmation. The Disciplinary Committee acted as the police force maintaining order within the academy, and its members were supposed to be highly skilled combatants... And they were being pushed back?

"What about Loxley, the Committee President?"

"The thing is, Loxley is currently off-campus for a request, and we are unable to contact him."

"Now that you mention it, the headmaster and others are also out at a conference."

An intrusion timed perfectly when Loxley, the Disciplinary Committee's top fighter, and the main teaching staff were absent. Adding to that, it was after school when most students had gone home or were focused on club activities. It looked increasingly likely that this was a premeditated crime...

"I understand. Then I will head out."

"Wait, wait. You're a princess, you know. What if something happens to you? I'll go."

In terms of pure strength, she was one of the best in the academy, but she was also royalty. I couldn't just casually let her expose herself to danger.

"No, I will go as well."

"No, I'm saying—"

"Before being a princess, I am the Student Council President, and it is my duty to protect Yutrea Academy and its students. Furthermore..."

Interrupting me, Misha spoke of her duty as the Student Council President and declared with a confident expression and tone.

"I will never fall behind mere intruders. You, of all people, should understand that, right?"

"..."

Having fought her and witnessed her overwhelming power firsthand, I couldn't argue with that... Guess I have no choice.

"Alright. Just step back immediately if it gets dangerous, okay?"

"Yes."

Confirming Misha's nod, I stood up and asked Maris to lead the way to the scene.

"We can discuss the Great Spirit Martial Arts Festival again at a later date."

"...Okay."

I thought I could use the confusion to brush it under the rug, but no such luck.


*****


Time dialled back slightly to right before Roak and Misha received the report of the intruders in the academy.

When the alarm signaling an intruder sounded, Leia was in the study room working on an assignment. Confusion and chaos followed, but upon hearing a campus-wide broadcast via the spirits that there was an intruder spotted in the plaza near the annex, Leia made an immediate decision. Going against the tide of evacuating students, she rushed to the scene.

That was born from her sense of duty as a member of the Valhart family, and her desire to capture the thugs who dared to trample upon the academy grounds.

"Hah... Hah..."

Therefore, her current situation—panting and down on one knee—was humiliating, as well as an completely unexpected development.

"As expected of a Yutrea Academy student. Some of you actually have some backbone."

"..."

The intruder facing Leia—a spirit master draped in a black robe, flanked by an expressionless girl who appeared to be a spirit—muttered in admiration at the girl who still stood defiantly before him.

Glancing behind her, students wearing Disciplinary Committee armbands lay collapsed on the ground, having evidently fought him before Leia arrived.

"You look like a first-year, but managing to hold your own against me at that age is quite impressive~."

"I take no pleasure in being praised by a thug."

"You really ought to just accept words from your elders, you know?"

Leia felt irritation welling up at the black-robed spirit master's somewhat condescending tone, but she quickly quelled her turbulent emotions, regained her composure, and reassessed the situation.

Through a preemptive strike by Salamander right as she arrived, she had managed to separate the black-robed spirit master from the Disciplinary Committee members, and she had confirmed their safety. Although they were unconscious, none of them had suffered deep wounds. With treatment, they would all recover without issue.

But the problem was...

"Now then, shall we resume?"

"...! Salamander!"

With those words, the black-robed spirit master closed the distance. Responding quickly, Leia issued a command to Salamander, and the red dragon spread its wings, stepping between the black-robed spirit master and its master to protect her.

"RRAAAAGH!!"

"Not a bad strike."

The black-robed spirit master laughed cheerfully as he caught Salamander's massive, trunk-like arm as it was swung down with a roar. The impact shattered the ground, yet the black-robed spirit master's arm didn't twitch an inch. On the contrary, spiritual power burst from the black-robed spirit master, and Salamander's arm was shoved back.

"Kh!!"

"But this level of power is still far from enough to defeat me—"

"Salamander, breath attack!"

Even as its arm was pushed back, Salamander gathered spiritual power in its maw and unleashed a hellfire breath straight at the talking black-robed spirit master right below. Normally, she would never unleash a point-blank breath attack against a student, as it could be fatal, but this time was different. The opponent was undeniably superior and an intruder on academy grounds. She had no reason to hesitate.

The black-robed spirit master vanished into the highly dense spiritual power and flames. If it had hit cleanly, it was a blow that wouldn't just cause burns, but could potentially turn a person's entire body to ash. Yet, Leia felt absolutely no feedback.

...It's exactly like when I fought Roak-senpai.

That sickening lack of resistance. Combined with the bottomless depths of his power and his sword-centric combat style, she couldn't help but be reminded of her battle with Roak.

"Hahaha! So ruthless!!"

With a burst of laughter, a tempest raged, scattering the flames. From within the clearing smoke, the figure of the man hidden beneath the black robe and the girl who had presumably protected him from the fire were revealed.

"I thought I was going to be burnt to a crisp!"

The spirit master who emerged from the charred remnants of his black robe was a handsome man with light brown hair fluttering in the wind.


As Leia briefly froze at the sight of the spirit master—who possessed the surprisingly handsome features of a refined young man—the second wave of Disciplinary Committee members, delayed from the first group, spotted Salamander and arrived as reinforcements from behind.

"You there, we'll cover you!"

"Go! Oannes!!"

The Disciplinary Committee members each summoned their contracted spirits and launched attacks at the male spirit master facing Leia. A hawk-like spirit spread its wings, a merman imbued water with spiritual power and spat it out, and a wolf from the rear leaped at the male spirit master with a fierce howl.

"That's quite a lot of them... Vlad."

However, faced with multiple spirits charging at him, the male spirit master seemed to find it bothersome. With a small sigh, he called out his contracted spirit's name.

Instantly, the girl's figure turned into particles, and in the next moment, she took the form of a crimson sword grasped in the male spirit master's hand.

"Is that... could it be!?"

"Just so you know, this isn't Spirit Armament. This is simply Vlad's true form."

Interrupting Leia's shocked misunderstanding, the male spirit master readied his sword to intercept the approaching spirits.

He deflected the talons of the swooping hawk with the flat of his blade, completely nullifying the subsequent stream of water with a single swing. As the wolf spirit lunged with its jaws wide open, he cleaved it in two with an upward slash.

Furthermore, a rhinoceros-like spirit summoned by a Disciplinary Committee member from the rear charged forward, thrusting its horn, but the male spirit master swung his sword at the horn, catching the spirit's blow.

"Burn!"

Following up on that opening, Leia, having broken free from her stun, activated a spirit art. The moment she placed her hand on the ground, the earth beneath the male spirit master turned red and radiated heat, immediately followed by an erupting pillar of fire.

"Haha! Nice!"

Engulfed in flames once more, the male spirit master shattered the spirit art with a single swing, acting as if it had no effect whatsoever. Then, bearing a joyful smile in the face of the students' relentless offensive, he readied his sword again.

"Vlad! Feast on my blood!"

As if responding to his words, something akin to ivy extended from the sword and coiled around the male spirit master's hand. Simultaneously, the sword's red hue shifted to an even deeper crimson, and an incredible amount of spiritual power began to pour forth from its blade.

"Salamander! Protect everyone!"

This is bad.

Intuitively judging that taking that attack would be dangerous, Leia ordered Salamander to protect the students. At the same time, she bolstered her body with spiritual power, swiftly adopting a defensive stance.

"Blood Blade: Penance."

"Kh!?"

The very next instant, slashes clad in spiritual power flew forward in waves accompanied by a roaring sound, and Leia's vision was engulfed in a crimson glow.


*****


The unleashed attack kicked up a cloud of dust. The sounds of battle that had been ringing out just moments ago ceased, and silence enveloped the area.

"...?"

Having reflexively squeezed her eyes shut, Leia grew suspicious when the anticipated impact never came, coupled with the unnatural silence. Opening her eyes to assess the situation, she saw a familiar back.

"Roak-senpai."

"Phew, made it in time."

In Leia's line of sight stood Roak, wearing an expression that mixed relief and fatigue.

Floating gently by his side were lesser wind spirits, and in his hand, he gripped a sword spirit.

It seemed he had protected her from that strike just now.

"...Why are you here?"

"Why? Because I heard a troublesome intruder showed up, so I came with Misha."

Answering Leia's surprised question, Roak brushed the dust off his uniform. Looking closely, she could see that his dust-covered blazer was torn in several places—likely from shielding her from that attack.

"Princess Misha is here as well?"

"Yeah. The visibility is terrible right now because of this dust cloud, but I believe she protected the Disciplinary Committee members."

"...I see."

At those words, Leia felt an internal wave of relief. It would have been difficult for her alone to not only defeat that male spirit master but even protect the Disciplinary Committee members. She was glad her seniors had arrived as reinforcements.

"I'm sorry, Senpai. Thank you."

"No, you actually did a great j—!?"

"Good reaction speed."

Noticing an approaching presence mid-sentence, Roak swiftly swung his sword.

The two sword spirits clashed, scattering sparks. As Roak locked blades with his right hand, he activated a spirit art with his free left hand, creating a sphere of compressed wind and detonating it right in front of the male spirit master's face.

Instantly, a violent gale raged, and the male spirit master was blown backward alongside the dust cloud, pushed by the sheer force.

"Hahaha! Very dexterous!"

"Leia! Take care of the injured!"

Keeping his gaze locked on the male spirit master, Roak shouted as he swung his sword. Every time their slashes collided, silver and crimson light shone brilliantly along with spiritual power, ringing out with high-pitched clangs.

...This is bad.

At first glance, Roak and the male spirit master's swordplay appeared evenly matched. However, Roak understood that he was being pushed back, and he was panicking on the inside.

The reason he was being pushed back was remarkably simple: the difference in the weight of each strike—that is, the difference in power.

This wasn't a matter of differing skill levels, but something far more fundamental... The difference in output between a simplified contract and a true spirit contract.

Of course, the caliber of the sword spirits likely played a part, but more importantly, a contracted spirit master could draw out their full power. Because of this obvious reason, Roak was forced into an uphill battle.

"Not bad! To think there was a student who could cross swords with me without a contracted spirit!!"

"Shut up!"

He parried the incoming barrage of crimson strikes aimed at his vitals to the right and left, then launched a diagonal slash aimed at the man's torso in retaliation. But it was deflected off course by a crimson blade closing in from the side.

He knew the attack would be blocked. Thus, remaining calm, Roak activated a spirit art. Cloaking his left hand in a blade of wind, he thrust his left hand out like a spear hand, aiming for the male spirit master's right shoulder.

"Naive!"

"Kh!?"

However, the male spirit master leisurely caught the surprise attack Roak had intended to catch him off guard with his left hand, as if to say he saw it coming.

Roak reflexively stopped moving. In this battle, the male spirit master wouldn't dare overlook such a clear opening, and he swung his sword down, aiming to cleave the boy before him in two—


"Holy Lance."

The very instant the male spirit master's movements stopped completely to cut Roak down, a dignified voice echoed out, and two spears of light came flying at the man from behind.

Judging he couldn't dodge, the man immediately tried to use the crimson sword he had aimed at Roak as a shield to block them. However, he couldn't suppress the momentum of the light spears and was sent flying backward.

"An unexpectedly troublesome intruder."

"...Yeah. Thanks for the cover."

As Misha approached, accompanied by a beautiful angel, Roak voiced his gratitude and let out a small breath.


That was close. I knew I had Misha's support, but it still gave me a real scare.

"Do you think we can win?"

"If you back me up like just now, Princess."

"Then there's no problem."

Hearing Roak's opinion, Misha nodded impassively, and her angel generated spheres of light all around.

Each of the numerous light spheres contained a massive amount of spiritual power. Roak felt a quiet terror at the strength of the angel that could effortlessly pull off such a technique.

...Thank goodness she's an ally.

Roak almost wanted to praise his past self for fighting against such a monster during their Rank Battle.

"Putting that aside, Roak Areas, did you notice?"

"You mean that sword spirit?"

"Yes, that is—"

Cutting herself off mid-sentence, Misha turned her gaze behind her. There, having returned at some unknown point, stood the male spirit master who had been blown away just moments ago.

"Is it really alright for the princess of a nation to step out in front of a thug like me!?"

"I have no intention of falling behind the likes of you, so it's not a problem. Besides—"

Roak stepped in and caught the vicious blade swung at Misha with his own sword.

"I also have a reliable guard."

"If you want to lay a finger on the princess, you'll have to go through me first!"

"I see!"

With his attack blocked, the male spirit master tried to retreat, but finding his right leg immobilized, he lost his balance. Looking down to see what was wrong, he found his right foot buried in the ground, unable to move.

A chill ran down his spine right as the male spirit master forcefully yanked his foot free. Snapping his head up, he saw the angel firing its deployed light bullets directly at him. In the blink of an eye, the man's vision was completely filled with light.

"Haha!"

Though engulfed by a violent radiance, he showed no signs of panic. Instead, wearing a smile that seemed to welcome the attack, he dodged it all with exceptional agility. However, as if to follow up, the angel spread its white wings and mercilessly swung down the sword of light in its hand.

"Did we get him this time?"

"Princess, you're not supposed to say that. It's a survival flag."

As the earth shook from the blinding light and impact, Misha murmured her question. Roak, now accompanied by lesser earth spirits, corrected her with a wry smile.

"Ouch, ouch. That actually hurt."

Sure enough, the male spirit master emerged from the dust cloud, looking perfectly spry despite his words, causing Roak to scowl.

He was indeed covered in injuries, and Misha had held back somewhat to capture him alive. But even so, for him to take the angel's attack and still be this energetic was downright eerie.

"Putting that aside, so you're Roak Areas, huh?"

"What if I am?"

Suddenly having his name confirmed, Roak furrowed his brows and asked back. He couldn't read the man's true intentions at all. Why verify his name now?

"Well, I thought you were doing quite well for someone without a contracted spirit, but that makes sense. It was in the files, after all."

"...Huh?"

Roak furrowed his brows again at the male spirit master who was coming to conclusions all on his own. What had this guy been talking about since earlier?

"Plus, looking closely at you... Hmm."

"Huh? What are you—"

Roak opened his mouth to complain to the male spirit master who was muttering to himself in apparent understanding, but the man spoke up again, cutting him off.

"In that case... it might be best for me to quietly withdraw for now."

As he spoke, the male spirit master turned his gaze to Roak and Misha standing before him.

"There are two persons of interest here to begin with. Plus, there's a dragon spirit. It seems my objective has been fulfilled anyway, so I'll make my escape before I get hurt."

"Do you think we'll let you escape?"

Misha narrowed her eyes sharply at the male spirit master's words. Above her head, the angel manifested a sword of light in its hand. It seemed she was genuinely intending to crush him.

"My apologies, but I will be taking my leave, Princess. Let us meet again if fate allows."

With those words, the male spirit master bowed respectfully and bid Misha farewell. At the same time, the angel moved, swinging its sword of light down on the man's head.

With a blinding flash, the sword of light literally blew away the ground where the male spirit master had stood, but contrary to its destructive power, no impact was felt.

"He escaped."

"Incredible speed..."

Misha let out a sigh as she stared at the empty crater.

Beside her, Roak confirmed that the male spirit master had evaded the sword of light and fled, but he made no move to give chase.

It was absolutely impossible to catch him at that speed, and there was no longer any need for him to chase the man anyway. Furthermore, against an opponent of that strength, he wouldn't be scolded for letting him go later.

"I would have liked to settle this ourselves, but it can't be helped... Let's leave the rest to them."

Glancing briefly at the small bird spirit for communication resting on her shoulder, Misha murmured quietly while staring in the direction the male spirit master had fled.


*****


"Man, to think students possess that kind of strength. They'll be terrifying in the future."

Running across the vast grounds of Yutrea Academy, the male spirit master, Haunted, muttered as he thought back on the two students he had just fought.

Misha being strong made sense since she was a member of the royal family, but the problem was Roak. Swordplay capable of matching his own, coupled with precise spirit arts, and a fighting style that seamlessly integrated the two. Despite being a student, he had constructed an incredibly practical combat style. And above all else—

"If possible, I'd like to fight him one more time to make sure, but..."

He couldn't afford to overstay his welcome this time so he fled, but he really would have liked to fight Roak a little longer if he could.

Besides, the boy had definitely not gone all out yet. The fact that he hadn't summoned a contracted spirit was the greatest proof of that.

Reaching that point, Haunted shifted his thoughts. His tendency to only think about fighting was a bad habit of his. Rather than the future, right now he needed to quickly escape the academy and go report.

The male spirit master leaped onto one of the trees in a grove within Yutrea Academy's grounds, intending to jump over the wall surrounding the academy—

"Guh!?"

The very next instant, a flash of lightning pierced Haunted's right leg.

Haunted inadvertently fell from the tree, stopping dead in his tracks. Grimacing in pain, Haunted suddenly sensed someone standing before him and looked up.

"Nice job, Lily."

"It's smoky."

At the end of Haunted's gaze stood a man trailing purple smoke from the cigarette clamped in his mouth—Kyle Madison—and beside him, a girl looking annoyed by the smoke—Lily Olaria. Furthermore, behind them waited a water spirit resembling a cross between a snake and a dragon, likely belonging to one of them.

"Hello there, Mr. Intruder."

"Hahaha... Well, that's very polite of you."

Haunted replied to Kyle, who greeted him while exhaling purple smoke, and slowly got to his feet.

"By the way, who might you be?"

"I'm the teacher of the students you were just bullying, and of this girl."

"I see, a teacher."

Muttering, Haunted summoned Vlad once again and gripped it in his hand. Seeing this, Kyle took a step forward. At the same time, Lily summoned a giant clam-like spirit by her side.

"Arriving after your students were already beaten up... Doesn't that make you a failure as a teacher?"

"Hey now, give me a break. My job is education in my assigned field and my own research. Besides, I usually leave the rough stuff to the Gargoyle security and the Disciplinary Committee."

"Oh my, isn't that a bit too harsh, no matter how you look at it?"

"What are you talking about? As long as they walk this path, they'll face plenty of rough situations, big and small. In fact, it's a problem if they don't experience it early on and get used to it."

Kyle exhaled purple smoke again at Haunted's words, muttering with an exasperated expression. Especially for the majority of the students in the Disciplinary Committee, their aim was likely the perk of having an easier time getting recommended for the Kingdom's Spirit Master Division.

If they were going to join the Kingdom's Spirit Master Division in the future, it would be a problem if they couldn't even properly protect their own school.

"Well, but it does seem like this time the opponent was a bit too much for them... I don't know why, but the Gargoyles don't seem to be moving either... You came well-prepared, didn't you?"

"Well, I didn't set that part up myself, so I have nothing in particular to say about it... But in exchange, just one thing."

"Ah?"

Having prefaced it like that, Haunted declared with a mocking smile.

"It's a shame, but I'll be too much for you as well, Teacher."

"...Gahahaha!"

At those words, Kyle laughed merrily, dropping his finished cigarette into the portable ashtray he took from his pocket.

"Wanna test that?"

"It seems you won't let me escape easily, so I suppose I can play around a little."

"Lily, just deploy Mirage and step back."

As visibility grew hazy from the mist released by Lily's summoned spirit, spiritual power overflowed from both of their contracted spirits, and the air centered around them instantly grew heavy.

"Do it, Mizuchi."

"Feast, Vlad."

At the edge of the academy, the two spirit masters clashed.

ToC

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment