The Villainous Aristocrat Dominates with Humility and Honesty ~Using Original Knowledge and the Unique Magic to Avoid the Ruin End~ Volume 2 Chapter 14

Ren


Chapter 14: The Hero's Lineage



Seventeen days ago—May 14th, Holy Calendar 1016.

Following the news of the Elder Zova's passing, the entire kingdom entered a period of mourning, and Redrick Magic Academy was temporarily closed.

"Phew... heaaave-ho."

The protagonist, Allen, had left his run-down apartment in the royal capital and was heading towards his hometown in the "Nameless Mountain."

Crossing several rivers, traversing vast plains, and pushing through treacherous animal trails—by the time the sunset sank into the western sky, a small, solitary house finally came into view.

"Pant, pant... I finally made it..."

This was the Hero's hideout. An uncharted sanctuary where the Hero's lineage lived quietly, hidden from the eyes of the world.

"It's only been a little over a month, but it feels like it's been ages," Allen murmured.

Basking in a wave of nostalgia, he knocked on the door—knock, knock, knock.

"—What is my favorite food?"

A low voice echoed from inside the house.

"Strawberry daifuku," Allen replied instantly.

The moment he gave the answer, the door was forcefully thrown open.

"Oh, welcome home, Allen! My precious grandson!"

The man who burst out with a beaming smile was Allen's grandfather, Raul Fortis. He was fifty years old.

Standing at a hundred and seventy centimeters, he had white hair tied back behind his head.

Sporting a white mustache and beard, he possessed an incredibly gentle expression, though he looked quite aged for his years. Clad in a simple gray kimono over his thin frame, this man was the previous previous Hero.

"I'm home, Grandpa. How is your health? Has it gotten worse since last time?"

"Oh, oh. Just seeing your cute face blew all the bad things right away," Raul laughed warmly.

He smiled happily and invited Allen inside.

"I just finished getting dinner ready. Today, we're having your favorite cream stew."

"Eh, really!? Thank you! I was completely starving!"

Afterward, the two of them sat down at the dining table, enjoying a harmonious evening together.

"By the way, Allen, what about your school? Today isn't a holiday, is it?" Raul asked.

"A noble named Zova passed away. So, we have the next week off," Allen explained.

Because Nia had sworn him to secrecy, he deliberately omitted the fact that Zova had been murdered by a mysterious masked figure.

Not that it mattered much.

"Ho, is that so?"

Living in seclusion, Raul was out of touch with worldly affairs and didn't even seem to recognize the Elder's name.

From there, Allen talked endlessly about his time at the academy. How difficult the classes were, the upcoming tournament known as the Magic Banquet Festival, and—about the new friend he had made.

"And you know! That Hollow-kun is just amaaaazing! He's a magical genius, his martial arts are flawless, and he's so smart... He's my absolute ideal of the ultimate magician!"

"Ho, you have such an incredible friend?"

"Yeah. We've actually gotten pretty close lately, and he even eats lunch with me."

In reality, Hollow always wore an incredibly exasperated expression and only begrudgingly sat at the same table by using Nia as a buffer... but the pure and innocent Allen hadn't noticed a thing.

"Is that so, is that so. My Allen finally made a friend," Raul smiled.

"Yeah, Hollow-kun can be a little... well, he has quite a sharp tongue, so people tend to misunderstand him... But he spends all his time personally teaching magic to a girl named Nia who was struggling, so deep down, he's a truly kind and wonderful person."

"It seems this young man possesses a genuinely gentle heart."

Raul nodded in admiration before clapping his hands together as if struck by a sudden idea.

"You must bring this Hollow-kun by sometime. Since he is your friend, I will do my utmost to host him properly."

"Hmm... But our place is pretty far away... He probably wouldn't want to come."

"Hrm, is that so? That is a shame... it..."

Raul's words caught in his throat,

"Cough, hack..."

And he broke into a violent fit of coughing.

"Grandpa, are you okay!?"

"S-Sorry, sorry... Must be my age, my throat's gotten a bit narrow lately."

Saying that, Raul quickly hid his left hand—which was stained with bloody phlegm—and drank some water to cover it up.

"Phew... Well then, I suppose it's about time I explained the history of our clan to you."

"Grandpa, I'm pretty sure I've heard that story over a 100 times already...?"

Allen offered a wry smile, lightly scratching his cheek.

"Just listen. This might very well be the last time I can tell it."

Wearing a deadly serious expression, Raul cleared his throat.

"As the guardians of humanity, our Hero lineage has continuously fought against the 'Calamity' Zeno. That horrifying master of the Void."

"...'The magic of the Void ruins all things.'"

"Indeed, those are the words left behind by the first Hero."

It was said that the power of the Void would one day destroy the world.

To prevent this, the Hero's lineage had waged a solitary war from the shadows of history.

"The world is unaware of it, but Zeno still lives to this day. Though his flesh has perished, his ruinous power—the Void Factor—remains."

He picked up his teacup and took a slow sip.

"By nature, a Factor resides within a 'vessel' and should rightfully perish alongside the body. However, Zeno's Factor is rooted in the 'soul.' Therefore, it does not fade when its vessel decays; it has already reincarnated four times throughout history. And what makes it so troublesome is that this Void Factor will always possess the most evil individual of its era."

Just as Raul said, every past successor of the Void had been a villain of the worst kind.

Treating human lives as nothing more than insects, erasing entire towns and villages on a whim.

There were even cases of them wiping out entire nations overnight, senselessly claiming millions of lives.

"The reincarnation cycle is roughly every 100 years, right?"

"Indeed. When the Factor suffers enough damage to lose its vessel, it retreats into its absolutely inviolable sanctuary, the 'Void World,' and enters a 100 year slumber. During that time, it single-mindedly hoards power, waiting for the birth of a new vessel."

Of course, that terrifying sanctuary of past successors had now been reduced to Hollow's fun little playground—Void Town.

Not a single one of the previous incarnations had been so completely unhinged and crazy as to do something like that.

Even the Calamity Zeno himself likely never dreamed his otherworldly domain would undergo such absurd renovations.

"And—the longer this dormant period lasts, the stronger the Void Factor grows, granting immense power to its next incarnation. According to a distant ancestor's journals, 'The Factor that slumbered for 200 years birthed the most horrific monster in history.'"

"...It's been 500 years since the last incarnation was destroyed, hasn't it?" Allen asked softly.

"That is correct. When the next successor of the Void appears, they will boast power akin to a god."

"..."

The protagonist was left speechless, swallowing hard.

"Fear not. Among our ancestors, you have inherited the Hero Factor most strongly. You bear a striking resemblance to the first generation. I am certain you will be able to destroy the Void Factor—and Zeno's sanctuary, the Void World, itself!"

Raul's words naturally filled with fervent heat.

"This is our clan's desperate wish, carried for a millennium. Please, Allen, with your own two hands... destroy Zeno's incarnation, and shatter the Void Factor for good."

"Yeah. I'll make it happen," Allen vowed.

"Hah, thank you. You've truly... grown into a fine Hero."

With that settled, Raul brought up a different topic.

"Now then, how about we get to the real reason you came back?"

"Eh?"

"You wouldn't have returned all the way here if something hadn't happened, would you?"

Allen let out a small breath and nodded with a dead-serious expression.

"Actually... Grandpa, I have a favor to ask."

"What is it? Speak up."

"I want you to train me to become a true Hero. I need you to put me through the 'Hero Training.'"

"Ho..."

Raul's eyes narrowed sharply.

"You lost, did you?"

"...Yeah. Twice."

"Who was the opponent?"

"One of them was Hollow-kun, like I mentioned. The other was... a noble."

Since he couldn't talk about Zova, he kept it vague by just calling him a noble.

"I see, and so you wish to undergo the Hero Training... But aren't you rushing things a bit? You're still young. There's no need to corner yourself over one or two defeats."

Tempering the Hero Factor was synonymous with shaving away one's own life. Doing so would invariably shorten Allen's lifespan.

Raul, treasuring his grandson above all else, showed obvious reluctance.

However, it was then that Allen dropped a veritable bombshell.

"We don't have time anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"I think... I've found him."

"...'Found him'? You don't mean...!?"

"Yeah. The Calamity Zeno's incarnation is—'him.'"

What crossed his mind was the monster who had so effortlessly buried the Elder.

Allen would likely never forget that abnormal spectacle for as long as he lived.

【Take this—<Icy Burst>!】

【Guh, then how about this—<White Storm>!】

【W-Why... <Freeze Chain>!】

【Pant, pant... <Cold Slash>!】

【Y-You... <Origin Glacier>!】

Despite Zova boasting overwhelming strength, his Origin-class magic had absolutely no effect.

The man had merely walked forward. That was all it took for everything to be erased into nothingness. It was the very definition of a "King's March."

【—Farewell, Zova Le Ainsworth.】

【S-Stop! I don't want to die ye—】

He was, quite literally, an existence on an entirely different dimension.

"What was his name!? What did he look like!? Where is he now, and what is he doing!?"

"His name is Void, and he created an organization called Utsuro. When I saw him, he was wearing a black robe and a mask. I'm not entirely sure where he is right now."

"...Void of Utsuro..."

Raul took a sip of his lukewarm tea, calming his agitated nerves.

"Why are you so certain he is Zeno's incarnation? Was he truly that strong?"

"Yeah, he was the strongest being I've ever seen. And, though I can't be completely certain, I think he was using <Void>."

"What...!?"

"Void completely nullified Origin-class attacks. And more than anything—that horrifying magical power... I've never seen such pitch-black malice in my entire life."

Void had used a wide-area annihilation magic known as <Void Spin> to utterly obliterate Zova's laboratory.

【M-My dream... The culmination of three hundred years...】

【Fuh, haha... Fuhahahahahahahaha...!】

Just recalling that dreadful sight made Allen's body tremble violently.

"Grandpa, I need you to train me! Train me so I can defeat Zeno's incarnation, so I can destroy the Void Factor—I need the Hero Training!"

"...Very well."

After a long silence, Raul made his bitter decision.

It was destiny for the Hero and the Calamity to kill each other.

Now that the Void factor had fully reincarnated, a clash with Allen was inevitable. In that case... even if it shortened his own lifespan somewhat, training the boy here would ultimately allow him to survive longer. That was his reasoning.

"Thank you, Grandpa!"

"Mm. It is already quite late today, so let's start fresh tomorrow morning."

Thus, the grueling Hero Training under the previous previous Hero, Raul, began.

"—〈Zero Counter〉!"

"Too slow! Speed is everything with 〈Zero Counter〉! You must construct the magic much smoother!"

"Right!"

First, they honed the most critical unique magic of the Hero.

"Haa!"

"Naive! Your dagger and martial arts are completely disjointed! Weave them together more naturally!"

"Y-yes, sir!"

Next, they overhauled how he used his blade and body.

"..998..999..1000!"

"Good, now once more from the beginning."

"Y-yes, sir..."

Finally, they ended with grueling, unglamorous strength training.

Improving the speed of his unique magic, instructing him in martial arts and swordsmanship, and enhancing his raw physical strength—they thoroughly drilled these three fundamentals.

"—Mm, since today is your first day, we shall leave it at this."

"Pant, pant... Thank you... very much..."

"If I recall correctly, the academy is on break for another five days? I'll be working you to the bone for that entire period, so you'd better be... prepare...d... Ugh..."

Raul suddenly clutched his chest, collapsing to his knees in agony.

"Grandpa...? Grandpa!?"

An hour later, he awoke in a bed in his room.

"...Where... am I...?"

"Grandpa! Oh, thank goodness, you're awake," Allen said.

The boy let out a heavy sigh of relief.

"You suddenly collapsed, I was so scared. I used a healing potion from the shelf without asking, are you okay?"

"Ah, thank you... I apologize for causing you such worry."

With that, Raul slowly propped himself up.

"No, don't worry about it. More importantly, that just now... it was because of the Hero factor, wasn't it?"

"Mine has already been fully passed down to you, so more accurately, it's the 'aftereffects of the Hero factor'."

"I knew it... It really is dangerous."

Raul nodded with a grave expression.

"Because of the overwhelmingly powerful Hero factor, our bodies are constantly being worn down. Therefore, the Fortis family is exceedingly short-lived. None have managed to live past the first Hero's age of twenty-five at his time of death."

Allen's father, the previous Hero, had died of old age at the tender age of twenty-three. His mother had almost all of her magic and life force completely drained by Allen's Hero factor during childbirth, passing away seven days later.

The Hero's lineage, the Fortis family, was cursed with incredibly short lifespans.

"But, Grandpa, you've lived a long time. You're already fifty this year."

"I... am likely an exception. I still remember it clearly, the day I turned twenty-four..."

Raul looked back on his memories of the past.

"At the time, my body was already falling apart due to the Hero factor, and I had been delirious with a 40-degree fever for about a week. My vision was flickering, the strength had left my body, and just when I thought I had reached my end—I heard the 'Voice of God.' It told me, 'You still have a role to fulfill'."

"...Sorry, but I'm going to take that with a grain of salt," Allen replied.

"I'm not lying! It's the truth! This spindly-looking god appeared and started spouting all sorts of nonsense about a 'Villainous Noble' this, a 'Scenario' that, and something about a 'Main Route'!"

"Wow, is that so."

Allen looked at him with gentle, pitying eyes.

"Haa... To be treated like a senile old man by my own precious grandson... I'm deeply hurt..."

Raul slumped his shoulders in defeat.

"Anyway, whether it was a dream or reality, I was granted 'Divine Protection'. The fact remains that from then on, the Hero's power eroding my body weakened rapidly. Thanks to that, I've managed to survive this long and gaze upon the face of my adorable grandson. By all rights, I should have been dead a long time ago."

Concluding his story, he stood up with a grunt of exertion.

"W-wait, are you really okay?"

"Ah, what just happened was just a seizure of sorts that occurs from time to time."

Smiling broadly to keep Allen from worrying, Raul clapped his hands together.

"More importantly, we will resume your Hero Training tomorrow morning. The reincarnated Calamity this time is a monster that has slumbered for 500 years. We must prepare you thoroughly!"

For the next five days, grueling Hero Training took place.

"Hah!"

"Your footing is wide open!"

The protagonist was a combat genius. He rapidly absorbed Raul's teachings, acquired a massive amount of EXP—and gained tremendous physical strength.

And on the final day,

"—You've done well to make it this far. I have nothing left to teach you."

Raul smiled gently.

"Thank you very much!"

Allen bowed deeply, his voice filled with gratitude.

"All that's left is for you to discover your own 'Awakening Condition' and evolve your 〈Zero Counter〉."

"The Awakening Condition of the Hero factor... If I remember correctly, it requires a 'strong emotion,' right?"

"Exactly. A fierce, burning movement of the heart—a strong emotion. That is the key that awakens the Hero's power."

"But what kind of emotion acts as that key is different for everyone..."

"Mm... It varies far too greatly from person to person for me to give any advice. Regardless, the Hero's power awakens through strong emotion. Whether that trigger is anger, sorrow, or joy, no one can say."

Raul shook his head in a gesture of surrender.

"What was your emotion, Grandpa?"

"Me? In my case—it was 'Love.' My true affection for my family opened the door to my awakening."

"...Love..."

"Don't worry. I'm sure you will awaken to the Hero's power someday, Allen. After all, you are my grandson!"

"Yeah, thank you!"

Afterward, Allen hurriedly packed his things for the trip back.

Since the academy was starting again tomorrow, he had to return in a hurry.

"Well then, I'll see you later, Grandpa."

"Yes, take care of yourself."

Stepping outside to see him off, Raul continued waving his hand until Allen's back disappeared from view, and then—

"...Gah, fu..."

Coughing up a massive amount of blood, he collapsed to his knees.

"Ha, haha... I got to see my grandson's face one last time... It was a life far too good for the likes of me..."

He had constantly put on a brave front because he was in front of Allen... but his body had already reached its limit.

To impart the Hero's knowledge to the protagonist, teach him the Hero's way of fighting, and pass down the Awakening Condition.

As of today, as of this very moment, Raul Fortis's role had been completely fulfilled.

The Divine Protection bestowed upon his body was slowly fading away.

"Just once more, I'd like to see Allen... just one more time."

The next time he would see him would likely be around summer vacation.

I can still hold on... There are still embers left within me...!

Raul swallowed the blood in his mouth and forced strength into his trembling legs.

"...Hah, humans truly are greedy creatures."

He shook his shoulders in self-derision and returned home alone.

Harboring that small, modest wish in his heart—to see his grandson just one more time.

Eleven days passed, and the fated moment arrived.

The time was five in the evening, when the nameless mountain was bathed in the crimson hues of dusk.

"—Phew, I suppose that will do for today."

Having finished watering the fields, Raul was just about to head back inside when—

"...!"

A terrifying pressure assaulted his entire body.

Could this be...!?

Feeling a pressure that seemed to crush his very heart, he slowly raised his head, and there—despair reigned supreme.

"...So you were alive after all, Raul Fortis..."

Floating against the burning sunset was pitch black.

A masked figure clad in robes of darkness, radiating a horrifying, massive magical power.

---

Toc

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment