I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 4
Chapter 4: The Dragoon Knight Powers Up
It happened on the night of the very day we defeated the Demon General.
“Master, wake up,” a soft voice called out. “There’s something I need to tell you.”
“…Holly?” I mumbled, bleary-eyed.
Woken up in the dead of night, I opened my eyes to find Holly hovering right beside me.
She had her hands resting on the edge of the mattress, gazing down intently at me.
Except… she wasn’t in her usual thirty-centimeter-tall figure form.
She had pale skin, flowing golden hair, and large, cherry-blossom pink eyes. Standing at around a hundred and fifty centimeters tall, her appearance was utterly indistinguishable from a normal human girl.
“…………”
“H-Huh? Master!?” Holly squeaked in utter confusion. “Why are you crawling away!? Why are you using your pillow as a shield? Why are you brandishing it at me like you’re on high alert!?”
“Because you scared the life out of me,” I said, shielding myself with the pillow.
“It’s just Holly! I only got bigger!” she protested, flustered. “You don’t have to react that strongly…”
“Your way of speaking changed too,” I pointed out.
“I think that because my body grew bigger, my mindset got pulled along with it,” she explained softly.
Holly self-consciously pressed a hand against her chest, looking embarrassed.
Her long twintails swayed gently with her movements.
She examined her arms and legs with a look of wonder, admiring how much longer they were than usual.
In this state, Holly truly looked no different from any ordinary human girl.
And yet…
“How did you end up like this in the first place?” I asked.
“Because we defeated Demon General Panaceras, I evolved,” Holly answered proudly.
“And why are you avoiding my gaze?” I pressed.
“Because meeting your eyes directly… makes me feel embarrassed,” she admitted, looking away.
“Even though you’re usually clinging to my arm without a second thought?” I asked.
“Y-Yeah, that’s true, but…” she stammered, fidgeting nervously.
“…I see.”
“…Yeah.”
“…Well, whatever.”
“…Thank you, Master.”
“…Don’t mention it.”
“…Um.”
I see.
So when a gloomy outcast and a bashful girl try to have a face-to-face conversation, progress grinds to a complete halt…
“U-Um, so you see…” Holly broke the awkward silence first.
It turned out Holly was the one who managed to recover her composure first.
“Holly is the spirit of the Dragoon Knight,” she explained. “That means whenever we defeat a powerful demon like a Demon General, I grow stronger. By powering up, I gain the ability to assume a human form like this.”
“So basically, you accumulated EXP and leveled up?” I asked.
“Yeah, probably something like that!” she nodded.
“Huh, so that’s how it works…”
“I kept quiet because I wanted to surprise you, Master,” she admitted apologetically. “But… it looks like I ended up scaring you instead. I’m sorry…”
“It’s fine,” I reassured her.
“It is?” she looked up, surprised.
“You’re my companion, Holly… so I accept whatever form you take.”
“Master…” her eyes shone with emotion.
“Sorry I overreacted so much earlier,” I added with an embarrassed scratch of my cheek.
“No, it’s fine! Holly just really wanted you to see this form… Wait, ah… Is time up already?”
With a soft pop sound, Holly shrank back down to her miniature size.
Once again, she was the thirty-centimeter-tall, action-figure-sized Holly I was used to.
I offered my hand down to Holly, who had flopped onto the floorboards.
She scrambled up my arm, settled onto my shoulder, and let out a tiny sigh.
“…Defeating just one Demon General only gives me enough energy to maintain my full size for a short time,” she explained with a pout.
“Ah, I see.”
“I thought that if I was bigger, I could take much better care of Master…”
“You already help me out plenty, Holly,” I said encouragingly.
“You mean I’m fine just the way I am?” she asked, tilting her tiny head.
“Yep.”
“So you’re saying I didn’t even need to grow big or power up?”
“Well, I’m definitely interested in the power-up part.”
“What about my bigger form? Like whether I looked cute, or pretty, or…”
“You were very cute and pretty.”
“That complement was so half-hearted!?” Holly shrieked in protest.
“…Once I get more used to seeing you like that, I’m sure I’ll be able to compliment you properly,” I offered sheepishly.
“Hmph, I’ll be holding you to that!” she declared, folding her arms.
“More importantly, I want to hear about your new powers.”
I leaned in and locked eyes with her, dead serious.
“What kind of abilities did you gain? What are the conditions for leveling up? Down to the exact details. Please.”
“You’re way more enthusiastic about this than when I turned into a human!?” Holly gaped in disbelief.
“Because this is literally a matter of life and death for me,” I stated plainly.
“U-Understood. Well… now that I’ve powered up, Holly can create ‘Phantom Pawns.’”
“‘Phantom Pawns’?” I echoed.
“They’re soldiers constructed from mana,” she explained enthusiastically. “Their purpose is to support the Dragoon Knight as loyal subordinates!”
“I had no idea you could do something like that.”
“I’ll show you how it works right now!”
Holly leaned forward and pressed her tiny forehead against mine.
Instantly, a wave of information flowed directly into my mind.
Phantom Pawns are constructs forged from magic. Up to two can be summoned simultaneously.
Their primary role is to serve as vanguards for the Dragoon Knight—carving open paths through enemy lines or holding off minor fodder while the main knight acts.
In their base state, they take the form of soldiers clad in shining golden armor. They can stay manifested for as long as my mana pool allows.
Furthermore, receiving damage beyond a certain threshold will immediately dispel them.
“With Phantom Pawns, the Dragoon Knight’s tactical options will explode!” Holly beamed proudly.
“…Yeah,” I murmured, stroking my chin.
“We can only make two for now, but as we defeat more Demon Generals and power up, we can increase their numbers! Eventually, you’ll even be able to command an entire army of Phantom Pawns alongside the Dragoon Knight!”
“…………”
“With this power, Master can save the world… or well, even if you have no interest in saving the world, you’ll be able to live in complete safety!” Holly cheered, before tilting her head. “Wait, Master… Why do you look so deeply lost in thought?”
“Hey, Holly… Is it possible to alter the appearance of a Phantom Pawn into something other than an armored soldier?” I asked earnestly.
“Well, taking off their armor is definitely possible,” she answered.
“What about their facial features?”
“They don’t normally have eyes, noses, or mouths,” Holly explained. “Though if Master visualizes it hard enough, you can give them human-like features! That said, there are some restrictions.”
“Restrictions?” I leaned in closer.
“Since they’re materialized directly from your mana, their form naturally defaults to matching yours. Their build and facial structure will end up almost identical to yours… Wait, huh?” Holly paused, looking down. “Master? Why are you squeezing Holly’s hands so tightly? Why do you have such a radiant smile on your face?”
“Holly… I am truly, deeply glad I met you,” I said, beaming with genuine emotion.
“W-Wow, hearing that makes me so happy!” she squeaked, blushing.
“You are a truly wonderful spirit. I count myself extraordinarily lucky to have you as my partner. Please, stay by my side forever.”
“Master actually said a whole emotional speech!?” Holly gasped, clutching her tiny chest. “I’m in shock! My heart is fluttering so fast!”
“Alright, let's put Phantom Pawn to the test right away.”
“Okay! I’m ready!”
“Just to be a hundred percent sure… Phantom Pawns can assume the exact same appearance as me, correct?”
“Honestly, they can pretty much only toggle between Armored Soldier Mode and Master Mode!” she confirmed.
“Perfect. Time for an experiment.”
In the recent battle, the Dragoon Knight had conveniently appeared only after I vanished from sight.
Because of that, there were bound to be people who suspected that I might actually be the Dragoon Knight. I desperately needed to quash those suspicions once and for all.
If they keep suspecting me, they might assign permanent overseers or guards to keep tabs on me 24/7.
If that happens… Just imagining it sent shivers running down my spine.
Having someone watch my every move, feeling their eyes glued to me at all times… I would lose my mind. I couldn't endure that level of social torment.
Besides, what in the world am I even supposed to talk about with a personal bodyguard or monitor?
If I stay completely dead silent the whole time, they’ll think I’m extremely suspicious, won't they?
Should I stick to safe small talk? Like… the weather?
“Lovely weather we’re having this morning,” or “Looks like rain will come this afternoon,” or “Chilly wind for springtime, isn’t it?”
But repeating the same mundane weather observations day in and day out would make me look completely unhinged!
Come to think of it… back at my old engineering job on Earth, I once tried to initiate small talk about the weather and suffered a catastrophic defeat.
My mistake had been studying advanced meteorological terminology so I wouldn’t run out of topics to discuss.
Normal people don't casually drop terms like "millibars," "hectopascals," "overcast-precipitation transition," or "teleconnection patterns" in elevator chatter! Everyone gave me horrified looks and backed away slowly…
If I couldn’t even handle casual conversation with fellow humans from my own world…
There is zero chance I can navigate small talk with a fantasy-world military inspector!
With my small-talk skill stuck firmly at level zero… how on earth am I supposed to survive…?
“Master? Master!? Your face is turning completely blue!?” Holly squeaked, shaking my shoulder.
“Sorry… old workplace trauma resurfacing…” I wheezed, clutching my head.
“Holly is seriously worried about you!”
“I’m fine… I’m okay,” I gasped out.
“Are you really sure?” she peered into my pale face.
“Really. Now then… let’s begin the experiment.”
And so, I made up my mind to transform into the Dragoon Knight.
──Before dawn, within the encamped grounds of the Kingdom’s army──
“The Dragoon Knight has appeared!!” a sentry shouted outside the tent.
Hearing those words, Princess Ingrid bolted upright from her cot.
She swiftly dressed herself and sprinted out of the command tent into the cool morning air.
She deliberately chose not to don her heavy armor, operating under the firm conviction that the mysterious Dragoon Knight was no enemy.
“Do not attack the Dragoon Knight!” Ingrid commanded the surrounding guards at the top of her lungs. “Simply call out to him!”
Her authoritative voice echoed across the camp.
“Inform him that we wish to speak and request that he join us! If he does not comply, restrict yourselves strictly to observing from a distance! If he departs, pursue at a discreet range. But under no circumstances are you to commit any hostile acts!!”
The paramount objective was to secure the Dragoon Knight as a permanent ally of the Mithrafil Kingdom.
With his immense power on their side, the kingdom could turn the tides of war against the Demon King’s Army decisively in their favor.
Furthermore, bringing such a legendary warrior to her side would convince more people across the continent to acknowledge Ingrid as the True Hero.
Achieving that goal was also the key to fulfilling the legacy left behind by her late half-brother, Vargas Kaito Mithrafil.
“And yet, I cannot fathom why the Dragoon Knight chose to reveal himself at this exact moment,” Ingrid mused aloud to herself, pacing back and forth. “Is he testing our intentions? If so, would sending scouts to pursue him be a blunder…?”
“I hear the Dragoon Knight has shown himself,” a calm voice chimed in from behind her.
Startled by the unexpected voice, Ingrid turned on her heel.
Standing near the entrance of the tent was a young girl with luminous golden hair.
Having evidently just awoken, she had a heavy cold-weather coat draped loosely over her nightwear.
At her waist hung a dagger etched with intricate arcane runes—the Sword of Selection, a grand artifact bestowed upon those recognized among the Seven Swords.
“Julia Ashgate of the Holy Kingdom, is it?” Ingrid murmured upon recognizing her.
Ingrid called out her name.
Julia Ashgate was one of the Seven Swords, a spellblade capable of wielding formidable magic.
Her homeland was the Holy Kingdom, situated to the north of the Mithrafil Kingdom.
It was a nation with a long, storied history and a thriving culture of magical research.
“Good morning. What a splendid morning it is, Your Highness Ingrid,” Julia greeted with a refined smile.
She offered a polite, graceful bow.
Her posture and movements were flawless—a textbook example of high noble etiquette.
“I am truly delighted that we could greet such a refreshing morning following the defeat of Demon General Panaceras,” Julia continued smoothly. “As a noble of the Holy Kingdom, I cannot help but express my utmost admiration for the prowess of the Mithrafil Kingdom.”
“Our victory against the Demon King’s army was only possible thanks to your country’s cooperation,” Ingrid replied humbly.
“You flatter us, Your Highness,” Julia demurely demurred.
“I pray our kingdoms maintain a strong bond,” Ingrid said. “Only through a robust alliance can we vanquish the Demon King’s army and protect the peace of mankind.”
“Heartening words indeed,” Julia demurely replied. “I shall certainly keep them in mind when the time comes to determine the True Hero.”
“My thanks,” Ingrid offered with a short nod.
Ingrid offered a succinct nod.
The Mithrafil Kingdom and its neighboring realms were currently bound by a military alliance.
Its sole purpose was to defend their lands and people from the onslaught of the Demon King’s forces.
With the Demon Generals leading hordes of monsters against the territories of humanity, the nations had realized they could ill afford petty infighting and had joined hands instead.
Working in unison, the allied nations fought back against the invading forces.
They shared vital military intelligence and supplied troops and provisions to one another.
They also dispatched elite personnel of exceptional martial and magical talent, such as spellblades and mages.
Julia Ashgate’s presence alongside the Mithrafil army was part of that very exchange.
“I take it your slumber was disrupted by the Dragoon Knight as well?” Ingrid asked.
“How could it not be?” Julia replied, her eyes kindling with intense curiosity. “When a true miracle presents itself right before one’s eyes!”
Her gaze sparkled with excitement.
“A golden knight riding a dragon descended upon the battlefield and effortlessly scattered Demon General Panaceras’s army to the winds! Who could such a figure possibly be? I simply must uncover their true identity!” Julia declared passionately.
“Is that your official stance as a representative of the Holy Kingdom?” Ingrid inquired coolly.
“You may consider it as such, yes,” Julia affirmed, executing another crisp, formal curtsy.
The spellblade bowed deeply, her demeanor full of deference.
“His Majesty the Holy King entrusted me to observe all developments within the Mithrafil Kingdom. News of this mysterious Dragoon Knight is something I must report immediately.”
“Then I fear you will be disappointed,” Ingrid said with a slight shrug. “The Dragoon Knight appears to have already departed.”
She gestured toward the edge of the camp.
Out in the distance, she could see the scouts returning to camp.
She had ordered them to keep watch on the Dragoon Knight’s movements.
Their return could only mean one thing: the warrior had vanished.
“Departed already? How terribly unfortunate,” Julia mused, though a faint smile lingered on her lips.
“If you find it so unfortunate, why do you smile?” Ingrid probed, narrowing her eyes.
“Because what I truly seek is the Dragoon Knight’s identity,” Julia replied matter-of-factly.
With those words, Julia turned and began strolling toward the interior of the camp.
She was heading straight toward the command tent where Vargas Kaito resided.
“I suspect Lord Vargas Kaito himself is the Dragoon Knight,” Julia stated calmly. “Allow me to verify whether he is currently inside his tent.”
“Hold your step, Julia Ashgate!” Ingrid commanded sharply.
“Why do you stop me, Your Highness?” Julia asked, pausing to look back over her shoulder.
“My brother is exhausted,” Ingrid insisted. “His rest must not be disturbed.”
“I merely wish to catch a glimpse of his face,” Julia replied smoothly.
“Scrutinizing a sleeping gentleman is hardly proper behavior for a lady,” Ingrid snapped. “Moreover, my brother has only just returned to the front lines.”
Her expression grew increasingly tense as she stepped forward to block Julia’s path.
“Immediately upon his return, he endured a fierce assault from a Demon General,” Ingrid urged. “Surely you can imagine the immense toll that takes on a man. I ask that you allow him to rest for now.”
Kaito should still be fast asleep... Ingrid thought anxiously. If he starts talking in his sleep, he might blurt out something about his original world!
If that happened, his secret identity as a body double would be exposed in an instant.
The only person permitted near Kaito while he slept was Merida Caintos, who knew the truth.
“Then pray grant me permission to address him from outside the tent,” Julia offered in a polite, unyielding tone.
Her request was framed with flawless courtesy, leaving little room for outright refusal.
“I simply wish to confirm that Lord Vargas Kaito is indeed inside the tent. Surely that much is acceptable?”
“Will calling out to him satisfy you?” Ingrid pressed.
“Yes, that will suffice nicely,” Julia assented.
“...Very well,” Ingrid reluctantly conceded.
Realizing that further resistance would only stoke Julia’s suspicions, Ingrid took the lead and walked toward the tent.
Her plan was to call out to Kaito first from outside.
If there was no reply, she would enter alone and wake him up. That would keep the secret safe.
“Princess Ingrid?” Merida greeted as they approached.
Standing near Kaito’s tent was Merida Caintos of the Seven Swords.
She had likely rushed over out of concern for Kaito’s condition.
“We have come to see my brother,” Ingrid explained. “Is he awake?”
“Yes, Your Highness,” Merida reported with crisp efficiency. “When I called out to him a moment ago, he answered me.”
“If he is awake, then surely there is no harm in seeing his face,” Julia chimed in smoothly.
Without waiting, Julia stepped closer to the entrance of Kaito’s pavilion.
“Lord Vargas Kaito, it is Julia Ashgate,” she called through the flap. “May I intrude for a moment?”
“...Yeah,” came a weary reply from inside.
A drowsy, muffled voice echoed from within.
Having just survived a perilous battle against Demon General Panaceras, Kaito was bound to be drained both physically and mentally.
Ingrid felt a pang of guilt for disturbing his badly needed rest.
“Pardon the intrusion, Lord Vargas Kaito,” Julia murmured as she stepped inside.
“Forgive me, Brother. Pardon us,” Ingrid added, following close behind.
The two women stepped inside the spacious pavilion.
Kaito was lying resting upon the cot. Seeing him there in the flesh, Ingrid let out a quiet sigh of relief.
“Brother, it seems the Dragoon Knight has appeared once more,” Ingrid began softly.
“...Yeah,” Kaito grunted sluggishly.
Kaito offered a sluggish nod to her statement.
“It is quite unexpected for the Dragoon Knight to manifest at such an hour,” she continued. “Do you have any idea why that might be?”
“...Who knows,” he muttered drowsily.
“I see,” Ingrid sighed.
“...Yeah.”
“...Are you still sleepy, Brother?” Ingrid asked gently.
“...Pretty much.”
“I apologize for waking you. We shall take our leave now,” Ingrid said, turning to exit.
“Lord Vargas Kaito!” Julia interjected suddenly, raising her voice.
Her sudden exclamation startled both Ingrid and the figure on the cot.
“Who do you suspect the Dragoon Knight truly is?” she asked intently.
“...Who knows,” Kaito repeated vaguely.
“Am I to understand that you have no inkling whatsoever?” Julia pressed.
“...Yeah.”
“Thank you for your time,” Julia replied, performing a deep, impeccably polite bow. “Please rest well.”
With that, Julia straightened up and turned toward the exit.
Ingrid and Julia then quietly departed from the pavilion.
“Are you satisfied now, Julia Ashgate?” Ingrid questioned once they were outside.
“Indeed,” Julia conceded with a gentle nod. “It appears Lord Vargas Kaito has no connection to the Dragoon Knight after all.”
“I told you as much from the beginning,” Ingrid replied curtly.
“As a representative of the Holy Kingdom, it was a detail I was duty-bound to verify,” Julia explained, offering a crisp knightly salute.
Her posture remained poised and professional.
“Even so, the true identity of the Dragoon Knight has only grown more baffling,” Julia added thoughtfully.
“They are an ally to us and an enemy to the Demon King’s army,” Ingrid asserted. “For now, that should be enough.”
“It is precisely their unknown origin and motives that I find so unsettling,” Julia counter-argued softly.
“Regardless, we cannot afford to count on such a figure as a reliable military asset,” Ingrid declared with a solemn tone.
Her expression hardened with resolved determination.
“I will fight in a manner worthy of the title of Hero,” Ingrid vowed. “I shall lead our forces and protect the populace. That is my sole duty.”
“A noble resolve, Princess Ingrid,” Julia praised admiringly.
“I trust we can continue to rely on the Holy Kingdom’s cooperation going forward,” Ingrid said.
“Of course,” Julia smiled. “After all, the goal of the Holy Kingdom is to save the world alongside the True Hero.”
“I pray that the True Hero you speak of proves to be myself,” Ingrid said steadily.
“I shall engrave your words upon my heart, Your Highness,” Julia bowed politely.
With those final words, Ingrid and Julia parted ways.
Just as both women turned to head back to their respective tents—
“The Dragoon Knight has appeared once again!!”
The frantic shout of a lookout echoed across the entire encampment.
“To the east! He is keeping his distance from the perimeter and tearing across the plains!!”
“All troops, eyes to the east! Gather any intelligence you can! Scouts, after the Dragoon Knight!!”
“““Y-Yes, sir!!”””
Every soldier in the camp turned their gaze sharply toward the east.
Beyond the wooden palisade surrounding the camp, a magnificent dragon carrying a golden knight galloped across the open fields.
And after riding back and forth for a brief moment, the figure vanished into thin air once more.
“...He has departed,” Ingrid muttered under her breath.
“...What terrifying speed,” Julia breathed in amazement.
Both Ingrid and Julia stood rooted to the spot for a long moment.
Such was the staggering presence of the Dragoon Knight.
“What could that warrior possibly be after?” Ingrid pondered aloud.
“...Perhaps it is futile for us to try and divine the intentions of such a being,” Julia quietly offered.
“What do you mean?” Ingrid asked.
“He is a legendary entity, moving according to a grand purpose that transcends mortal comprehension,” Julia explained devoutly. “For mere humans to presume to fathom his will might be nothing short of hubris.”
“A perspective truly fitting for one from the Holy Kingdom, where miracles are revered,” Ingrid noted with a subtle nod.
Julia shivered slightly, as though she had just borne witness to a divine epiphany.
All around the camp, the soldiers stared blankly toward the spot where the Dragoon Knight had just been, thoroughly spellbound.
They, too, seemed awestruck by the sudden appearance of this mythical figure.
However, there were exceptions to the rule—
“The Dragoon Knight... Who in the world could he be?!”
“Seriously, he’s totally shrouded in mystery!!”
“Appearing right at the break of dawn like that is so damn cool!!”
The soldiers of the ‘Soul of Flash’ squad were practically beside themselves with excitement over the Dragoon Knight’s brief appearance.
Before long, the morning sun began to climb higher into the sky.
Perhaps the Dragoon Knight is an embodiment of the sun itself, sent to dispel the darkness of the Demon King’s army... Ingrid thought, watching the dawn sky as her mind drifted into quiet contemplation. If so, is it truly wrong for mortals to try and uncover his identity and intent...?
Staring up at the brightening heavens, Ingrid found herself completely absorbed in these romantic reveries.
Which was precisely why—
“Lord Kaito? When did you step outside the tent?” Merida’s voice chanced to flutter from nearby.
“...Restroom,” Kaito mumbled.
“Ah, I see! You went to use the bathroom!” Merida gasped in realization.
“Yeah.”
“So you were inside the tent the entire time, and after Princess Ingrid and Lady Julia visited, you quietly stepped out to answer nature’s call!!”
“Did something happen?” Kaito asked innocently.
“The Dragoon Knight appeared again!”
“Wh-aaat?”
“Because you were in the bathroom, you missed it completely!” Merida deduced with bright enthusiasm.
“Uh... yeah.”
“Well, those things happen! I completely understand, I really do!!” Merida nodded approvingly. “Thank you for your hard work! We still have time before departure, so please get a little more rest.”
“Thanks.”
And so, Ingrid completely tuned out the quiet conversation taking place between Kaito and Merida right behind her back.
—Kaito's Perspective—
“I never expected you to use a Phantom Pawn as a body double for Master himself!” Holly exclaimed, her eyes wide with surprise.
“I'm just glad it worked out,” Kaito replied, letting out a small sigh of relief.
“Holly thought the Phantom Pawn's only job was fighting,” she chirped enthusiastically. “I never imagined using your lookalike like that!”
“...I had to make them believe I wasn't the Dragoon Knight,” he muttered under his breath.
The Phantom Pawn possessed the ability to transform into an exact duplicate of myself.
Using that ability, I decided to have it act as my body double.
The plan had been straightforward enough.
First, I would slip out of the tent and transform into the Dragoon Knight. In the meantime, the Phantom Pawn—looking identical to me—would stay lying down inside the tent.
After that, I would reveal myself in the Dragoon Knight's form to the sentries.
If anyone in the Royal Army suspected that the Dragoon Knight was actually Vargas Kaito, they would inevitably come to check inside my tent. If the tent was empty, it would confirm that I was indeed the Dragoon Knight.
Therefore, by placing the Phantom Pawn disguised as me inside, my alibi would be rock-solid.
And in fact, that was precisely what transpired.
Hero Princess Ingrid and Julia Ashgate of the Seven Swords had come directly to check on me.
All that remained was to show myself as the Dragoon Knight once more and draw everyone's gaze.
After drawing their attention toward the eastern side of the camp, I swiftly repositioned to the west and slipped back into the encampment.
Since the bathrooms were located at the western edge of the camp, I claimed I had simply stepped out to use them.
The moment I returned to camp, I unsummoned the Phantom Pawn waiting inside the tent.
With that, I should have successfully cleared all suspicion.
...At least, I really hope I did.
I think it went fine, but... how did it actually look to them?
“No need to worry, Master! Holly thinks it was a complete success!” she declared cheerfully.
“I hope so,” Kaito murmured softly.
“Master is amazing! With Master's power, you might even be able to reclaim the Great Sage's mansion!” Holly cheered.
“The Great Sage's mansion?” Kaito repeated, blinking in confusion.
“It belonged to Great Sage Aaron, who created Holly!” she explained, fluttering her wings. “He maintained hidden mansions all across the world to serve as his bases.”
It seemed the one who created the items inhabited by spirits was an ancient Great Sage.
That sage had possessed residences scattered all across the world.
The mansions were interconnected by magical gates, allowing instantaneous teleportation between regions.
Apparently, one could only reach those places by being guided by spirits like Holly.
“However, Holly's level is still too low right now, so I don't know where the mansions are located,” she admitted with a pout. “But if we defeat another Demon General, I think more of my memories will be unlocked!”
“Can I go to the mansion too?” Kaito asked.
“Of course! In fact, the mansion is a sacred place that only spirits, their master, and those granted permission by the master can enter!” she replied proudly.
“I see...” Kaito trailed off, lost in thought.
That sounded incredible.
A secure, completely unknown haven would be absolute perfection for living out a quiet, peaceful life under the radar.
“Alright. We'll defeat the Demon Generals so we can reach the mansion,” Kaito resolved with renewed determination. “Once the war settles down, I'll leave the Kingdom and spend my days relaxing in peace at the mansion.”
“Um... Master?” Holly piped up tentatively.
“Hmm?”
“Can't Master already run away whenever you want?” she asked, tilting her head.
“...Yeah. I suppose so,” he admitted after a short pause.
“You could have escaped earlier too!” Holly pointed out. “If you used the Phantom Pawn to pretend you were inside the tent, no one would have come looking for a while. You could have run off in the confusion... so why did you come back?”
“Because it's my job,” Kaito answered plainly.
“...Huh?” Holly blinked, clearly baffled by his answer.
“I took on the job of acting as the Sword Saint's body double,” Kaito explained calmly. “Abandoning it halfway would cause immense trouble for everyone. If humanity lost the war or people died because I walked away, it'd weigh on my conscience forever, and I'd never be able to enjoy a peaceful life anyway.”
“Master... has anyone ever told you that your personality gets you the raw end of the stick?” she asked sympathetically.
“...I never had any friends around to tell me that,” Kaito replied with a self-deprecating smile.
“So Holly is the very first one?!” she squeaked, her eyes shining.
“Yeah, pretty much.”
“That makes Holly... super duper happy!” she cheered, puffing out her tiny chest.
Holly stood tall, looking immensely proud of herself.
“Holly is definitely going to the Great Sage's mansion and living happily ever after with Master!” she declared joyfully. “I'll assist Master with everything, and then serve you forever and ever!”
“You're pretty small, Holly,” Kaito pointed out with a wry grin. “I don't think you can handle taking care of me.”
“It's totally fine!” she insisted, puffing her cheeks. “The mansion is brimming with magic power, so I can stay in my full-sized form continuously! Human-sized beautiful spirit girl Holly will live by your side as Master's partner!”
“...I see,” Kaito replied dubiously.
“Wait, are you pulling back a little?!” Holly gasped in panic.
“I'm just not used to full-sized Holly yet,” he admitted sheepishly.
“You have to get used to it!” she squeaked, shaking her little fists. “Our entire future together is at stake here!”
“I'll do my best,” he chuckled.
Exchanging such banter, Holly and I finally fell into a brief slumber until it was time to depart.
Later, when the army prepared to march out of the encampment—
“Lord Kaito, is it acceptable to depart now?” Merida asked from the driver's seat of the carriage.
Sitting atop the driver's bench, Merida turned around to address me.
“Ah, yes. I'm ready,” Kaito replied.
“If you feel unwell at any moment, please do not hesitate to inform me,” she advised attentively.
“Thank you, Merida.”
“You appeared exceedingly fatigued last night, so I could not help but be concerned,” she noted with a mild tilt of her head.
“Did I?” Kaito asked, trying to act natural.
“Indeed. When Her Highness and Lady Julia visited your tent, Lord Kaito's complexion was considerably paler than usual.”
“............Is that so?” Kaito managed to squeeze out.
“The shape of your eyebrows was also slightly different,” Merida added flatly.
“............Huh?” Kaito squeaked, a cold sweat breaking out.
“Your cheeks also appeared somewhat more hollow than usual.”
“............Could it have just been a trick of the light?” he stammered nervously.
“Merida is Lord Kaito's loyal subordinate,” she replied with a serene smile.
“..............Right, of course you are,” Kaito gulped.
“The Lord Kaito present at that moment... while your hair was indeed black, it possessed a faint blue tint. It was difficult to discern in the dimly lit tent, but under direct sunlight, the distinction would be unmistakable.”
“....................Is that so...” Kaito squeaked, feeling utterly exposed.
“Rest assured. I am Lord Kaito's loyal subordinate. No matter how mysterious the circumstance, I shall accept it without question. Yes, absolutely.”
With those reassuring yet utterly terrifying words from Merida, the carriage lurched forward and began to roll.
Inside the swaying carriage—
“...Merida is incredible,” Kaito whispered under his breath.
“...She is not to be underestimated,” Holly agreed in a tiny hush.
“...We need to figure out a countermeasure,” Kaito muttered grimly.
And so, Holly and I ended up spending the entire journey in an agonizing state of high tension.
—Several days later, inside the royal palace of Mithrafil Kingdom—
“You have done well, my daughter Ingrid,” the King commended regally.
This was the audience chamber of the Mithrafil royal palace.
Having returned to the capital, Ingrid stood before her father, the King.
Present in the room were only the King, Ingrid, and Chancellor Simon.
They were high-ranking figures privy to the truth regarding Vargas Kaito's death and the otherworldly origin of Kirisame Kaito.
“I have received the full report regarding the battle against the Demon King's Army,” the King declared, steepling his fingers. “Slaying a Demon General is indeed a momentous victory. However, there remain certain inexplicable points.”
“Are you referring to the Dragoon Knight, Father?” Ingrid asked straightforwardly.
“Indeed,” the King nodded gravely. “The royal archives contain no record of such a figure.”
“What of the lore and records of neighboring realms?”
“Chancellor Simon conducted a thorough investigation, yet found nothing matching the description,” the King explained.
“I see...” Ingrid replied softly.
“Could the true identity of the Dragoon Knight not be the otherworldly visitor, Kirisame Kaito?” the King inquired, his voice probing.
The King's eyes narrowed slightly as he scrutinized his daughter's expression.
“An otherworldly entity may well possess powers beyond our comprehension,” he continued. “Is there truly no possibility that he is the Dragoon Knight?”
“The possibility is exceedingly slim,” Ingrid countered calmly.
“State your reasoning.”
“When the Dragoon Knight appeared on the battlefield, Julia of the Seven Swords and I personally verified that Kaito-san was resting inside his tent,” Ingrid explained firmly. “Thus, it is unthinkable that he could be the Dragoon Knight.”
“Yet he possesses the power of purification, does he not?” the King pressed. “If he holds such extraordinary magic, it would hardly be strange for him to command the powers of the Dragoon Knight as well.”
“Kaito-san displayed his purification magic openly before everyone,” Ingrid promptly refuted.
She did not hesitate to defend Kaito's character.
“He used his ability out of genuine concern for the common soldiers, rendering monster meat edible for all. For a man so selfless, hiding the identity of the Dragoon Knight would be completely out of character.”
“...Hmm,” the King grunted, stroking his chin in thought.
“Kaito-san recognized that our world was in grave peril and graciously offered his gift to aid us,” Ingrid declared with utter conviction. “He is a righteous soul. I cannot believe such a man would conceal being the Dragoon Knight.”
“So his sole power is indeed purification...” the King muttered under his breath.
He appeared somewhat appeased, yet his caution remained evident.
“Nevertheless, he hails from another world. Do not neglect your vigilance over him.”
“I have already assigned Merida Caintos of the Seven Swords to attend to him,” Ingrid reported.
“A Seven Sword originating from our kingdom, then. In that case, we may place our trust in her.”
“Yes, Father.”
“Speaking of which, I recall a member of the Seven Swords hailing from the Holy Kingdom accompanied the army.”
“You refer to Julia Ashgate,” Ingrid affirmed.
“Indeed.”
“As Father says, Julia Ashgate joined the campaign,” Ingrid explained dutifully. “The Seven Swords are charged with discerning who shall be recognized as the True Hero. She came to observe how I and our forces fare against the Demon King's Army.”
“‘The Seven Swords wield the Blades of Selection. The one indicated by the blades shall become the True Hero and rule over all nations’... Such is the ancient prophecy, is it not?” the King mused.
The King shifted his gaze toward Chancellor Simon.
Interpreting the silent gesture as a command to elaborate, the Chancellor bowed deferentially toward the King.
“The Seven Swords are champions chosen from our Mithrafil Kingdom and neighboring sovereign realms,” Chancellor Simon began, unrolling an official scroll.
He consulted the document in his hands before continuing.
“The Seven Swords possess the authority to designate the True Hero. During the Ceremony of Selection conducted a year ago, the Sword of Selection wielded by Merida indicated Her Highness. However, the remaining six champions have yet to declare their choices.”
“Meaning the nation that harbors the True Hero shall become the supreme leader guiding all realms?” the King asked, his eyes gleaming with ambition.
“Precisely,” Simon confirmed. “During the great upheaval centuries ago, a True Hero was designated, and the kingdom to which they belonged rose to become the leader of nations and a mighty empire. However...”
“That kingdom eventually fractured and faded into history,” the King interjected grimly.
“With Your Majesty and Her Highness Ingrid at the helm, our kingdom would surely maintain its glory for eternity,” Simon flattered smoothly.
“Naturally,” the King chuckled, clearly pleased by the Chancellor's flattery.
Satisfied with Simon's response, a proud grin spread across the King's face.
“Ingrid is destined to become the True Hero. Therefore, I command you, Ingrid: bring Julia Ashgate of the Holy Kingdom to our side.”
The King proclaimed authoritatively from his throne.
“Securing her support will give us two of the Seven Swords. That leaves us merely two votes shy of a majority.”
“Understood, Father,” Ingrid answered, bowing her head deeply.
She maintained her respectful posture before looking back up.
“However, Father, please do not misunderstand my purpose.”
“What do you mean by that?” the King frowned slightly.
“My goal in becoming the True Hero is solely to eradicate the Demon King's Army and protect the people,” Ingrid declared with steadfast resolve. “Uniting the strength of all nations to confront the demon threat is what truly matters.”
Her voice resonated clearly throughout the vast audience chamber.
“My brother shared this very conviction. Father, I pray you do not forget it.”
“I—I am well aware!” the King blurted out, taken aback by her stern gaze.
He nodded hastily, flustered by his daughter's unwavering intensity.
“Still, securing the backing of the Seven Swords is essential. Is it not?”
“It is indeed necessary,” Ingrid conceded gracefully, kneeling before the throne. “However, I view myself as nothing more than a blade named Hero.”
With one knee pressed against the cold stone floor, she made her vow.
“My brother Vargas Kaito was the other blade, forging a path toward the Demon Generals. Now that he is gone, it falls upon me to fulfill my duty as a sword to protect the innocent all the more fiercely.”
“I understand,” the King sighed softly, his expression softening. “Even so, do not forget that you are also a princess of this realm.”
“I am fully mindful of that,” Ingrid affirmed.
“Very well. You are dismissed. Thank you for your report.”
Looking down at Ingrid from his throne, the King delivered his closing words.
“You may take your leave. Return to your quarters and rest. A triumphal banquet shall be held later. Ensure you forge a close bond with Julia Ashgate at that time. Understood?”
Those were the final words the King offered her.
Ingrid offered no reply to his command.
She simply executed a graceful, solemn bow, then turned and withdrew from her father's presence.
—-
Comments
Post a Comment