I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 2
Chapter 2: The Substitute Sword Saint's First Battle
I managed to learn the reason we were heading off to war while we were en route.
Just a few days prior, the Demon King's Army had taken advantage of a lapse in the Royal Army's guard to launch an invasion near the border.
The root cause of this vulnerability was the Hero Princess's return to the royal capital from the front lines.
Naturally, she had returned solely to summon me, though the official story claimed it was to treat the injured Sword Saint Vargas Kaito.
The Demon King's Army hadn't missed that opening, swiftly dispatching an advance force to strike at the Royal Army.
Once they confirmed that neither the Hero Princess nor Vargas Kaito was taking the field, the enemy deployed their main assault force into a border village—a move the leaderless Royal Army was powerless to stop.
The border village fell under the Demon King's Army's control, and word of the disaster quickly reached the royal capital.
An emergency council was convened in response.
...If left unchecked, the border village will be turned into an enemy forward base...
...We must reclaim it before it's too late...
Ultimately, the council decreed that a unit spearheaded by the Hero Princess and the Sword Saint would march out to reclaim the village.
"I shall take our soldiers, reclaim the village, and utterly crush the Demon King's Army," Princess Ingrid declared passionately.
The Hero Princess sat across from me inside the swaying carriage as she spoke.
"I only ask that you watch over us from behind, Brother," she added in a gentler tone.
"...Understood," I muttered softly in response.
"When appearing before the troops, please wear ceremonial garments so everyone clearly recognizes you as my brother. We must make it known to the soldiers that Vargas Kaito remains alive and well. There is no need for you to fight—you need only stand at the front-line encampment."
"The front lines, huh..." I swallowed nervously.
...Man, I really, really don't want to go...
...If all I'm doing is showing everyone that Vargas Kaito is alive and well, shouldn't staying in the rear be more than enough?...
...Isn't there any way I can get out of going to the front lines?...
While I was hopelessly agonizing over my plight, Princess Ingrid and her forces officially began their march.
With me swept along in their ranks, the Royal Army made their way toward the border village.
And then, several days later...
We finally reached the Royal Army's main forward base established near the border.
"—Princess Ingrid has arrived!" a soldier shouted excitedly.
"—It's true! The Hero Princess is here!!" cheered another.
"—We beg of you, Your Highness! Please retake our village from the Demon King's Army!!" pleaded a desperate voice.
Thunderous cheers echoed all across the encampment.
This was the Royal Army's staging ground near the border.
From this base, the army would mobilize their forces to reclaim the occupied village.
Countless tents and watchtowers dotted the grounds, which bustled with soldiers. Some prepared for deployment, while others wiped fresh blood from their weapons—the latter likely having just returned from monster-hunting patrols.
Piles of monster corpses were stacked near the edge of the camp.
Clearing out wild beasts along the planned march route prior to a major assault was standard military protocol.
The creatures the soldiers had slain were merely wild beasts—massive boars like Giant Boars, and giant snakes dwelling in the woods known as Forest Serpents.
Wild monsters weren't particularly formidable.
By contrast, monsters sworn to the Demon King's Army were exceptionally dangerous. Records indicated that they wielded weapons, set traps, and coordinated deadly ambushes.
With monstrosities like that lurking nearby, there was no way the villagers could live in peace...
Displaced refugees were scattered throughout the base, huddling around campfires with deep anxiety etched across their faces.
The reason the Hero Princess and I were parading around the grounds was undoubtedly to reassure these poor people.
"—All hail Princess Ingrid, the Hero Princess!!" shouted someone in the crowd.
"—Your Highness, please save our village!!" called out another refugee.
"—Now that the Hero is here, victory is as good as ours!!" roared a nearby soldier.
Ingrid's popularity was staggering. It was crystal clear that she served as the beacon of hope for everyone here.
As for how I was being received, on the other hand—
"—Look, it's Sword Saint Vargas Kaito!" pointed out a bystander.
"—I heard he was wounded, but has he already recovered?!" exclaimed a soldier.
"—Wait, why is he slouching so much?!" murmured an onlooker.
"—And doesn't his gaze seem to be darting around kind of nervously...?" added another.
...Safe to say, the reception was pretty mixed.
Still, nobody had figured out my true identity, so I considered it a passing grade.
"...Brother. Could you perhaps try to carry yourself with a bit more dignity?" Princess Ingrid urged in a hushed voice.
"I'm... still not feeling quite back to my best," I stammered weakly.
"You must puff out your chest and glare fiercely at your surroundings!" she insisted firmly.
"...Like I said, I'm not quite..." I mumbled.
"Brother," she pressed, her eyes narrowing sharp.
"...Alright, alright, I get it," I surrendered hastily.
As we were squabbling, Merida Caintos glided over and expertly fanned out her cloak beside me, obscuring my slouching silhouette as much as possible. Talk about a top-tier assist.
As we walked through the camp, the plight of the refugees kept catching my eye.
They slumped on the ground with hollow, exhausted expressions. Some bore untreated wounds, while others clutched empty stomachs in quiet agony.
Looking at them made stray, unnecessary thoughts creep into my mind.
...Isn't there something else I can do here besides acting as a glorified figurehead?...
"............Princess Ingrid," I spoke up.
"There is no need for honorifics. What is it, Brother?" Princess Ingrid replied.
"Do we... have any surplus food?" I asked.
"Surplus?" she echoed, tilting her head.
"Rations for the refugees, I mean," I clarified.
"...For the refugees..." she repeated, her expression clouding over.
Ingrid's face hardened into a troubled grimace.
"We are about to march into combat ourselves and require all the rations we brought. The supplies transported by the supply train are strictly intended to sustain our military operation to retake the village."
Simply put, distributing the supply train's provisions to the refugees had never been factored into their logistics.
Of course, they theoretically could have hauled extra provisions for the displaced civilians.
However, doing so would have weighed down the supply wagons and drastically slowed the entire army's march. To protect the supply train, every unit was forced to keep pace with it.
As a consequence, our overall advance would suffer severe delays.
And any delay meant taking that much longer to liberate the border village.
That was why feeding the refugees simply wasn't feasible under current circumstances.
"Is there no way we can turn monster meat into food?" I asked innocently.
Hearing my question, Princess Ingrid let out a heavy sigh.
"...Brother. Please refrain from speaking such absurdities," she chastised with exasperation.
"...Monster meat is entirely unsuitable for consumption," Merida whispered softly into my ear.
She leaned in closer to explain the details discreetly.
"Monster flesh contains a substance known as 'Black Mana,' which is highly toxic to humans. While it can be purified, the process is immensely laborious, requiring several mages to conduct an arduous ritual just to cleanse it."
"And once it's purified, is it edible?" I inquired.
"Yes. Experiments regarding monster consumption were conducted in the past, and official records confirm it is indeed edible once cleansed," Merida clarified.
"Then why not..." I pressed.
"Purifying Black Mana takes several days, during which mages must devote their undivided attention to the ritual. Even then, only a meager yield of meat is produced. Thus, monster flesh is utterly impractical as a food source."
I see. That explained why all those freshly slain monsters were left lying around the camp untouched.
...Wait a minute.
...Didn't Holly mention before that a qualified Dragoon Knight gains the power to purify toxins and curses?...
I needed to check with her immediately.
"I need to... step away for a moment," I announced awkwardly.
"Brother? Where are you going?" Princess Ingrid asked, raising an eyebrow.
"To the bathroom," I answered flatly.
"Didn't you just go a short while ago?" she noted with a suspicious look.
"...I'm just really nervous," I mumbled, turning away hastily.
I slipped past the rows of military tents.
The bathrooms were situated at the far edge of the base—essentially crude wooden stalls erected over pits dug into the ground.
Even so, perception-blurring and purification magic had been applied to the facility.
Thanks to those spells, it emitted zero foul odors and leaked no sound outside—quite an impressive piece of magic, honestly.
I stepped inside the wooden stall, pulled the door shut, and then—
"Holly, come on out," I summoned softly.
Touching my bracelet, I called forth the spirit Holly.
The blue gemstone sparkled brightly, and tiny Holly materialized in the air.
"Master! Holly has a serious bone to pick with you!" she squeaked, pouting immediately.
"What is it?" I asked, blinking.
"Why must you always summon Holly inside a gross bathroom?!" she protested angrily.
"There's nowhere else I can be alone without people watching," I reasoned defensively.
"Mmph!" she grumbled, crossing her tiny arms in a huff.
"More importantly, I want to ask you about the Dragoon Knight powers," I redirected.
"Does that mean Master has finally resolved to make his grand debut as a Dragoon Knight?!" she gasped, her eyes lighting up excitedly.
"Nope, not at all," I shot down bluntly.
"............Ehhh?!" she squeaked in bitter disappointment.
"Setting that aside, can I use the purification power without transforming?" I inquired.
"Y-Yeah. It's a passive base ability, after all," she stammered, nodding.
"Can it cleanse the 'Black Mana' inside monster flesh?" I pressed.
"Of course! Holly will teach you how it's done right away!" she declared proudly.
Holly proceeded to give me a thorough explanation.
Afterwards, she adopted a surprisingly serious expression and asked,
"I see! So Master wants to use his purification powers to save all these suffering people?"
"That's part of it," I admitted.
"What else is there?" she tilted her head curiously.
"A Dragoon Knight can purify monster meat and make it edible."
"Yep! You can definitely do that!" she confirmed enthusiastically.
"If monster meat can be made edible, the refugees won't have to starve anymore."
"That's a wonderful goal!" Holly beamed approvingly.
"The refugees fled from the front lines. Meaning, they are stationed back in the rear."
"Mm-hmm, mm-hmm!" she nodded along eagerly.
"Anyone seeking to save and feed the refugees must naturally remain in the rear."
"Huh?" she blinked, her ears perking in confusion.
"In other words, as the only person who can save them, I must stay in the rear! Where it is completely safe!" I declared triumphantly.
...A Dragoon Knight can purify monster flesh...
...If monster meat can be turned into food, I can save the starving refugees...
...Until the border village is liberated, the refugees can't leave this base...
...Which means, as their sole food provider, I am practically obligated to stay right here too! Safe and sound!...
I could stay in the rear, focusing entirely on aiding the refugees without ever stepping foot onto the battlefield.
……Besides, sending me to the front lines in the first place would be completely reckless.
I was just an ordinary guy from another world with zero combat experience. Putting me out front wouldn't do anyone any good.
If that was the case, I might as well make myself useful in some other way.
"……Might as well give it a try," I muttered under my breath.
I stepped out of the restroom.
Merida was waiting for me nearby.
"Are you finished already, Lord Kaito?" she asked.
"Yeah. Also…… there's something I want to try."
"What might that be?" she inquired.
"Purifying monster meat."
"……Huh?" she blinked.
"Vargas Kaito has awakened."
"……P-Pardon? Um, Lord Kaito, what on earth are you saying……?" Merida stammered, completely lost.
"When I recovered from my injuries, I awakened to that kind of ability."
"Huh? What? Eh?" she babbled in utter confusion.
"Vargas Kaito survived being shot by a poisoned arrow because he awakened to the power to purify toxins. If I use that power here, it should make monster meat edible, which will solve the refugees' food crisis, and, um—"
"Y-You're talking far too fast! Please, slow down a bit……" Merida pleaded, waving her hands in panic.
"………………I'll just show you in action."
I walked over to the area where the monster carcasses were kept.
The one I felt least reluctant about eating…… was probably the boar-type monster.
Time to begin the purification. First, focus my mind on the bracelet on my left wrist.
As for the incantation…… it's pretty embarrassing, so I'll just whisper it under my breath.
Let's see…… "In the name of the holy one, dispel all malice that harms mankind. Let pure mana cleanse all things, bestowing a blessing fit for mortal flesh"…… was that it? Next, hold out my hand.
"Purify!"
Particles of light erupted from my palm, surrounding the boar monster.
A dark, smoke-like haze rose up from the creature's corpse.
It drifted like mists of shadow…… until it touched the purifying light and vanished completely.
The purification was complete. The black mana should be entirely gone now.
Still…… it would be disastrous if the refugees ate monster meat and suffered food poisoning.
First, I needed to prove myself that the monster meat was completely harmless.
The problem was…… I didn't have the faintest idea how to butcher a monster. What to do……
"Um, Lord Kaito?"
Before I knew it, Merida was staring intently at me.
"I saw something black rising out of that Giant Boar just now…… What exactly did you do?" she asked.
"I purified it."
"A-Ah, yes. You did mention that earlier, but…… wait, really!?" Merida gasped, her voice squeaking.
Merida's eyes widened in disbelief.
"I-It certainly looks as though the black mana has vanished, but…… you completely purified the black mana residing within that Giant Boar in an instant!? How is such a thing even possible!?"
"Butcher it."
"Huh?"
"Call someone who knows how to butcher a monster."
"R-Right away! I shall fetch someone at once!" she squeaked, rushing off.
A few minutes later, Merida returned accompanied by a soldier.
Having already been briefed, the soldier drew his knife and set to work, swiftly butchering the Giant Boar.
In no time at all, the massive boar was broken down into hefty cuts of meat.
"Unbelievable! The black mana has completely dissipated!!" Merida cried out in astonishment.
Merida raised her voice as she finished examining the beast.
"It's just like during the monster edibility experiments. With this, we can……"
"Indeed, the sensation when cutting into the meat is entirely different!" one of the soldiers remarked.
One of the soldiers chimed in, staring in wonder at his knife.
He stared at the butchering knife in his hand, dumbfounded by the transformation.
"The flesh has turned tender. What's more, a monster's blood usually clings nastily to the blade…… a sticky, unpleasant mess…… but this feels no different from ordinary game."
"Is that so?" I asked.
"Yes, Your Highness the Sword Saint," the soldier replied respectfully.
"Does it look edible?"
"Well…… I wonder……?" he answered hesitantly.
"I see."
I gave the soldier an understanding nod before turning to Merida.
"Merida. Have someone roast this Giant Boar meat."
"Is that an order?" she asked.
"Yeah. And bring some salt and spices if we have any."
"……Understood," she replied.
Running off once again, Merida returned shortly, this time leading a camp cook.
After hearing the situation, the cook promptly set to work grilling the Giant Boar meat.
The cooked meat…… looked no different from normal meat. In fact, it looked downright delicious.
It had the rustic charm of wild meat skewers you might find at an overseas food stall.
"……Is that really monster meat?" a watching refugee whispered.
"……It certainly doesn't look like it," another murmured.
"……It smells so good," a third muttered softly.
A crowd of refugees began gathering around the grill.
Before long, the cook handed me a freshly grilled skewer, saying, "This should do it."
I gripped the skewer and took a bold bite of the Giant Boar meat.
"…………It's delicious."
Eating in front of an audience felt uncomfortable, but I had no choice.
I had to prove to everyone that eating purified monster meat was completely safe.
It's not like I could just tell them, "I purified it so it's safe. Eat it and see for yourselves."
The taste wasn't bad at all. It was a bit tough and chewy, but that was expected of a wild beast.
In return, the flavor was rich and hearty, brimming with wild savoriness.
I kept eating enthusiastically until the skewer was completely clean.
……Did that sufficiently prove its safety, I wonder?
Meanwhile, Merida gathered several mages to appraise the Giant Boar meat.
Every single one of them confirmed that the black mana was gone and declared the meat entirely safe.
With this, surely some among the refugees would take an interest in monster cuisine……
Someone who would step forward and say they wanted to try some………….
……………………And yet, there wasn't a single person.
No one raised a hand, nor did anyone utter a word about wanting to eat it. Huh?
"As expected of His Highness the Sword Saint!" cheered one refugee.
"The Hero's older brother must have a special immunity to monster meat!" exclaimed another.
"What magnificent courage!!" applauded a third.
……It seemed they had come to the conclusion that I possessed a unique constitution capable of digesting monster meat.
Well, I supposed monster cuisine wasn't something people could accept right off the bat.
Guess I'll just have to introduce it gradually over time……
"So this is where you were, Your Highness the Sword Saint!!"
Just as I was thinking that, a booming voice echoed across the camp.
Looking up, I saw a group of a dozen or so soldiers marching straight toward us.
Leading the group was a tall man with grey hair and a long, matching beard.
Fastened to his cloak was a clasp shaped like an eagle crest.
I remembered seeing that crest in the archives—it was drawn right next to Vargas Kaito's list of subordinates.
That crest belonged to an earl's house, which meant the man wearing it was—
"Marks Leibniz?" I blurted out.
"Indeed it is, Your Highness the Sword Saint," the man replied with a bow.
"To treat me, the vice-captain of your personal unit, the 'Soul of Flash' Squad, with such cold formality! Will you not address me as 'Bearded Marks' as you used to?"
"Please wait, Lord Marks!" Merida shouted, stepping between us.
Merida pushed her way between Marks and me.
"Have you forgotten Princess Ingrid's orders!? She explicitly instructed that no subordinates were to meet with Lord Kaito until he has fully recovered!!"
"What strange nonsense you speak, Lady Merida Caintos," Marks scoffed, glaring down at her.
Marks fixed Merida with a sharp, piercing stare.
"Lord Vargas Kaito has stepped right out onto the battlefield, has he not?"
"Lord Kaito is still far from being back to his usual self!" she protested.
"Is that truly so?" Marks grunted skeptically.
"Allow me to explain, then," Merida said, taking a deep breath.
Merida took a long, deep breath before making her announcement.
"When Lord Kaito fell from his horse after being struck by the poisoned arrow, he hit his head severely. As a result, his memory is currently in a state of confusion. The physician gave strict instructions that his condition might worsen, so we must avoid letting him meet acquaintances outside his immediate family."
Yup. That was the official cover story.
The real reason, of course, was that speaking with anyone close to the real Vargas Kaito would immediately blow my cover.
"So for now, please leave Lord Kaito in peace," Merida implored.
"I understand your feelings, Lady Merida," Vice-Captain Marks replied with a nod.
Vice-Captain Marks gave a heavy nod.
"However, if Lord Vargas Kaito has awakened to a new power, we of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad cannot remain indifferent! Am I right, men!!"
"“OOOOHHHHH!!”"
The soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad let out a thunderous war cry. Terrifying.
"Allow me to ask directly! Lord Vargas Kaito, have you truly awakened to the power of purification!?"
"That is correct, Lord Marks," Merida answered on my behalf.
"I was not asking Lady Merida!!" Marks barked back.
Brushing Merida aside, Marks thrust his face right up to mine.
Seriously, you're scaring me.
"Your right-hand man, Marks Leibniz, is asking you! How is it!? Lord Vargas Kaito, did you truly awaken to the power of purification while standing on the brink of death!?"
"…………Yeah," I managed to squeeze out.
Nodding was all I could bring myself to do.
"Vargas Kaito has awakened to the power of purification," I repeated weakly.
"And using that power, you purified the meat of that Giant Boar?" Marks pressed.
"That's right."
"Meaning this meat isn't just edible for Lord Vargas Kaito alone, but completely safe for anyone to eat?"
"Merida…… guaranteed that," I stammered, pointing at her.
"Is this true, Lady Merida?" Marks turned to ask.
"Without a doubt. The black mana has been completely eradicated," Merida confirmed firmly.
"……Is that so?" Marks muttered softly.
Marks closed his eyes and let out a long, heavy breath.
"Then! I put this question to the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad!!" Marks bellowed.
He shot a sharp, fierce glare over his shoulder at the soldiers standing behind him.
"Do you men hear Lord Vargas Kaito's words and feel nothing in your hearts!?"
"“NEVER!!”"
The soldiers shouted back in unison.
Every single one of them was staring intently straight at me.
Don't tell me…… they figured out I'm a body double!?
Marks was Vargas Kaito's closest confidant. He knew the man better than anyone.
Merida had been taking extreme care to keep me away from them for that very reason.
Yet here I was, drawing all this attention to myself by cooking monster meat. That's what piqued their interest.
Yet here I was, drawing everyone's eyes simply by cooking monster meat. That's what sparked their sudden interest.
What should I do? Should I transform into a Dragoon Knight and bolt? How on earth am I supposed to handle this—
"“How could we possibly remain unmoved by Lord Vargas Kaito's transformation!!”"
"Well said!! Then tell me, what shall you do!!" Marks shouted back.
Marks bellowed with passion.
And with that, the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad—
"“We shall devour every last morsel of the meat purified by Lord Vargas Kaito!!”"
"Gloriously spoken! That is the true spirit of the glorious 'Soul of Flash' Squad!!"
"“UWOOOOOOHHH!! TIME TO EAT!!”"
And with that, they charged headlong toward the Giant Boar meat.
...Huh?
It turned out Marks and the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad just really wanted to eat the purified meat.
I slowly took my hand off the bracelet on my left arm.
I had been fully prepared to transform into the Divine Dragon Knight and make a break for it the second Marks or his men yelled, “This Vargas Kaito is an impostor!”
What a relief it didn't come to that... Though I suppose I should apologize for getting your hopes up, Holly.
You don't need to come out, okay?
Your turn is off for now. I'll talk to you later, so just stay hidden.
Besides, the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad were currently having the time of their lives right in front of me.
“Keep roasting it!” one of the soldiers shouted excitedly. “Don't leave a single scrap of meat behind!!”
“The fire's dying down! Bring over more firewood!!” another barked.
“Ooh! Now that smells amazing!!”
“Ah, there's nothing like the mouthwatering aroma of freshly grilled meat!!”
“Hold it right there, that piece is mine!!” a knight argued, shoving past his comrade. “I get the first bite of the meat Lord Vargas Kaito purified!!”
And just like that, an impromptu barbecue party broke out.
The moment a cut of Giant Boar meat finished roasting, the soldiers devoured it without hesitation.
The towering pile of giant boar meat was vanishing at a staggering speed.
“Whoa! This is delicious! Absolutely incredible!!”
“Has monster meat always tasted this good!?” a trooper cried out in awe.
“I had no idea Giant Boar meat was so rich and flavorful!!”
“You have our endless gratitude, Lord Vargas Kaito!!” another soldier added, bowing toward me.
I was glad they enjoyed it.
Still... I really wanted the refugees to eat the monster dishes, though.
I was hoping for a cozy rear-guard assignment where I'd just handle food supplies for them...
“Everyone's reaction is completely different from the Edible Monster Experiments,” Merida noted, tilting her head beside me.
She stood next to me, looking puzzled as she observed the feast.
“The monster meat we tested back then was awful,” she explained softly. “It was dry, tough, and practically unchewable...”
“Could it be a freshness issue?” I asked.
“Huh?”
“Maybe the testing process... took so long that the meat lost all its quality by the time anyone ate it,” I suggested.
“Of course! That makes total sense!!” Merida exclaimed, clapping her hands together.
From what I heard, those edible monster experiments had dragged on for days.
They probably had to use special methods like freezing or preservation spells to keep the meat from spoiling, which undoubtedly ruined its taste.
“If that's the case, everything fits into place,” Merida said, nodding in deep admiration.
She looked genuinely impressed by my theory.
“Lord Kaito, you purified the monster meat in an instant. That's why the meat remained perfectly fresh.”
“That's probably it,” I replied with a slight nod.
“...By the way, Lord Kaito,” she began, her tone taking a curious turn.
“Hmm?”
“Where exactly... did you acquire this purification ability?”
“When I recovered from that poisoned arrow wound,” I answered casually.
“…………Lord Kaito?” she pressed, peering closer.
Merida stared at me intently, her eyes unblinking.
...Guess I have no choice.
“...Something strange happened back when I was summoned,” I lied smoothly.
“I see!”
Merida clapped her hands together, seemingly satisfied with my explanation.
The barbecue party raged on before us. While the soldiers happily devoured skewers of roasted meat, the refugees still hesitated to reach for any. The deep-rooted taboo against eating monster meat ran thick.
“What in the world is going on here, Brother?” a refined voice called out.
As I pondered the situation, Princess Ingrid, the Hero Princess, approached us.
Her expression turned to one of utter bewilderment as she watched the soldiers feasting.
“Are they... eating monster meat!?” she gasped, eyes widening. “What happened to the black magic power...?”
“I purified it,” I replied nonchalantly.
“You did, Brother?”
“After I took that poison arrow... I survived,” I explained.
“Y-Yes...”
“And in that moment, I awakened to a purification ability.”
“A purification ability!?” Ingrid repeated in disbelief.
“Or maybe it was at some other point. Either way, I awakened it.”
“I see... An awakening...” she murmured, lost in thought.
To the Hero Princess, I was a mysterious otherworldly summoned here from another world.
She had no idea what kind of secret powers I truly possessed.
So if I told her I awakened to a purification power, she had no way to disprove it.
Besides, she almost certainly knew nothing about the Divine Dragon Knight. If she had, she would have mentioned it to me by now. Naturally, she wouldn't know that Divine Dragon Knights possessed purification abilities either.
She had no choice but to accept that this purification ability belonged to Kaito, the guy from another world.
“This purification ability... can be useful for securing food supplies,” I pointed out.
“...You are correct, Brother,” Ingrid agreed thoughtfully.
“The refugees are suffering from a severe food shortage,” I continued.
“That is also undeniably true.”
“So my power can solve that problem.”
If the Hero Princess put in a good word, the refugees might finally be willing to accept monster meat as food.
After all, the people practically revered her.
If she endorsed it, saying, “If the Hero Princess says so,” they would surely give it a try.
Monsters roamed everywhere in this region. If the soldiers hunted them down and I purified the meat, we could establish a flawless food supply loop.
And if that happened, I could stay comfortably stationed in the rear guard forever.
Princess Ingrid and her allies would achieve their goal of saving the refugees.
The refugees would get to eat their fill every day.
And I would remain perfectly safe far behind the front lines.
It was a textbook win-win situation.
“I understand what you are trying to say, Brother,” Ingrid said with a solemn nod.
“Good,” I replied.
“When you survived the poisoned arrow, you awakened to a divine purification power. And using that power, you can purify monster meat into edible food.”
“Yeah, exactly.”
“What a truly magnificent capability!!” she declared loudly.
Without warning, the Hero Princess dropped to one knee before me.
A ripple of shock washed over the surrounding crowd.
And no wonder. Vargas Kaito was merely the child of a concubine. In contrast, Princess Ingrid Saria Mithrafil was the legitimate daughter of the main queen and the divine-oracle Hero. Even as half-siblings, their social standings were worlds apart.
Yet here was the Hero Princess herself, bowing deeply right in front of me.
Every single eye in the area was now glued to the scene.
Once she was certain she had gathered everyone's absolute attention, Princess Ingrid slowly raised her head.
“Brother... you have acquired a miraculous power to save the people,” she spoke, her voice ringing clear.
“That's right,” I replied.
“And you intend to grant this power for the sake of everyone here?”
“Yeah. Back in the rear guard...”
“You will dedicate your strength to bring peace to this land?”
“Right. So I'll stay back in the rear—”
“Understood! Hear me now, everyone!!” Ingrid cut in, standing up and projecting her voice across the campsite.
She turned to face the gathered crowd, commanding absolute authority.
“My brother, the Sword Saint Vargas Kaito, has acquired the legendary power to purify monster meat! If any among you doubt his strength, look upon the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad!”
She dramatically gestured toward Marks Leibniz and his men.
“They have consumed the Giant Boar meat, yet not one of them suffers any ill effect! The kingdom's mages have confirmed that all traces of black magic power have been completely erased!! My brother, Vargas Kaito, can turn monsters into food for us all!!”
“““WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!!”””
A deafening cheer erupted throughout the camp.
Soldiers and refugees alike stared at the Hero Princess with rapt admiration.
The reception was completely different from when I tried explaining the monster meat. So this was the power of true charisma.
Her radiant silver hair shimmered in the light, framing clear emerald-green eyes, and her flawless fair skin remained unmarred even in the heat of battle.
Adorned in glorious armor suited for a Hero and bearing a holy sword, she looked every bit the savior.
Every word that left her lips held the entire crowd spellbound.
Now all she had to do was declare that the refugees should eat the purified monster meat.
“These are extraordinary times! Food is vital to our survival!! Though some may object, if monster meat can be made safe to eat, then eat it we must!!”
Awesome! It worked!
With the Hero Princess persuading them, the refugees would finally start eating monster meat.
And I could comfortably settle into a safe rear-guard duty to keep them fed—
“Brave soldiers!” Ingrid shouted, raising her voice further. “From this day forth, incorporate monster meat into your rations!!”
…………Wait, what?
“And hand over your remaining grain and provisions to the refugees!!”
………………Huh?
“Countless monsters line our path ahead! My brother, Vargas Kaito, will remain on the front lines at all times to purify monster meat for us!! Therefore, sharing our standard rations with the civilians poses no issue whatsoever!?”
“—Lady Ingrid speaks the truth!” one soldier roared.
“—Protecting the people is a soldier's true duty!!” another shouted.
“—We shall march forward, feasting on monsters along the way!!”
A-AAAAAAAHHH!?
“First, we shall prepare preserved provisions using purified monster meat! As soon as our preparations are complete, we march!! Fear nothing!! My brother will stand at the very front lines to feed us!! Wherever the Sword Saint Vargas Kaito stands, that is the battlefield where we can fight with all our might!!”
“““UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!”””
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Princess Ingrid's proposal was met with overwhelming praise from both the soldiers and refugees—
The soldiers eagerly began sharing their rations with the civilians—
As tears of gratitude flowed, the bonds between the soldiers and refugees grew deeper than ever—
And having single-handedly solved the army's food crisis, I was showered with thunderous applause as I was whisked away straight to the front lines.
—Merida's Perspective—
“I am so deeply moved, Lord Kaito!” Merida exclaimed.
“...Is that so?” Kaito muttered dryly.
“To think you awakened to such a purification power when you were summoned! And to use that gift for the sake of the soldiers and refugees... You truly care so deeply for the people!”
“...Miss Merida,” he said with a sigh.
“I've told you so many times, please just call me Merida!” she pouted.
“Fine, Merida.”
“Yes, Lord Kaito?”
“You shouldn't shout so loudly.”
“...Ah. My apologies,” Merida gasped, quickly covering her mouth.
She bowed her head apologetically to Kaito.
They were currently inside a carriage bound for the front lines. Although it was unlikely their voices would leak outside, one could never be too careful.
Outside the carriage, the soldiers were chanting in high spirits.
Shouts praising Ingrid as the “Great Hero Princess” echoed all around.
Those were immediately followed by cheers for “Our Sword Saint, Vargas Kaito!”
Merida had almost joined in the chanting herself, but Kaito quickly stopped her. She understood how he felt.
The man sitting in front of her was not the true Sword Saint, but a summoned hero from another world. He deserved to be hailed as the “Hero of Purification, Kaito.”
In truth, she wanted nothing more than to shout that name at the top of her lungs.
Kaito, the Hero of Purification, was truly a wonderful person.
Lost in these thoughts, Merida swayed along with the rhythm of the carriage.
After travelling for a while, the carriage came to a halt. It seemed they had arrived at the campsite.
“I shall go and assist with setting up camp,” Merida said, bowing gracefully. “I will return for you later, Lord Kaito, so please rest until then.”
“...Yeah,” Kaito replied quietly.
His response had been half-hearted at best. He was undoubtedly exhausted.
It was only natural, given how many times he had used his purification ability along the journey.
Even if it was to secure food for the troops, Merida felt guilty for pushing him so hard.
Kaito, an otherworldly visitor, was devoting himself entirely to the Royal Army.
If so, Merida felt it was her solemn duty to offer something worthy in return.
With that resolve in mind, Merida dropped to one knee before the carriage.
“Lord Kaito,” she called out reverently.
“...Hm?” he replied drowsily.
“I, Merida, hereby swear my utmost loyalty to you once more.”
Placing a hand over her heart, Merida declared her oath.
“As Merida Caintos, Seventh Rank of the Seven Swords, I am your faithful servant. I deeply respect you for wielding your power for the sake of the people. You are a true hero, Lord Kaito. Please allow me to accompany you to the very end of your glorious path.”
“...Right, sure,” Kaito mumbled softly.
“Then, I shall take my leave.”
Bowing deeply, Merida turned and stepped away from the carriage.
Throughout the encampment, the soldiers' morale was sky-high.
At this rate, they would surely hold the upper hand against the Demon Lord's army.
“It’s all thanks to Lord Kaito changing how we view monsters...” Merida murmured to herself.
Until now, fighting monsters had simply meant eliminating obstacles.
It was about removing threats that blocked supply lines or raided towns—a grim chore aimed purely at minimizing losses and restoring order.
However, if monsters could be turned into food, the entire equation changed.
Subduing monsters became a rewarding endeavor—a tangible gain.
Defeating monsters meant feasting on delicious meat. Gathering around campfires, sharing drinks, and dining on fresh food naturally sent spirits soaring.
Because of that, the soldiers were practically eager to throw themselves into battle against the beasts.
Beast-type monsters were particularly popular targets.
There were the boar-like Giant Boars, the bovine Arch Tauroi, the rabbit-like Large Rabbits, and the avian Giga Birds.
The soldiers were practically racing one another to charge straight at them.
...Could Lord Kaito have foreseen all of this? Merida wondered.
Officially, Sword Saint Vargas Kaito was unable to swing a blade due to his severe injuries.
Ordinarily, such news would have plummeted troop morale, yet the opposite had occurred.
By converting monsters into delicious rations, Kaito had brought soldier morale to an all-time peak.
If he had exercised his purification powers with that exact calculation in mind...
“That man... may very well be an entity surpassing even the Sword Saint himself.”
Though their appearances were identical, Kaito from another world was fundamentally different from Vargas Kaito.
Vargas Kaito had sought only to be the absolute strongest.
He pushed himself relentlessly to maintain his elite status and expected everyone around him to put forth the exact same grueling effort.
Anyone who failed to keep up was simply cast aside.
Kirisame Kaito was different. He placed the safety and well-being of the refugees above all else.
The otherworldly Kaito was a compassionate man who truly cherished the weak.
“Lord Kaito... I am truly proud to have met you,” Merida whispered softly.
At present, there was little she could offer to repay his kindness.
The least she could do was prepare the camp thoroughly so he could rest comfortably.
With those gentle thoughts in mind, Merida made her way toward the central ccamp
—Meanwhile, among the soldiers of Vargas Kaito’s personal unit, the 'Soul of Flash' squad—
“So good!”
“Ah, damn, this is amazing!”
“Who would've thought we'd be eating grilled meat right on the battlefield!!”
The soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' squad cheered excitedly around the roaring campfire.
Any lingering aversion to eating monster meat had long since vanished.
The meat before them had been purified by Vargas Kaito himself. On top of that, Vargas Kaito ate it too. The 'Soul of Flash' soldiers had been dining on purified monster meat every single day, and not a single person had suffered any ill effects.
Vargas Kaito’s purification ability was nothing short of miraculous.
He could cleanse over a dozen monster carcasses all at once, turning them into mouthwatering food.
To the soldiers, he looked like a holy saint straight out of legend.
“...A holy saint, huh?” one soldier mused softly.
“...Lord Vargas Kaito really has changed ever since he was injured, hasn't he?” another whispered.
“He really has... Makes you wonder if he’s even the same person,” a third chimed in quietly.
“““...Shh────!!”””
The surrounding soldiers immediately shushed the man who uttered the doubt.
“Lord Vargas Kaito is our lord and master!” a soldier hissed in a harsh whisper.
“We shouldn't harbour such doubts!!” another scolded.
“Exactly! Besides, the current Lord Vargas Kaito is incredibly kind!!” a third agreed enthusiastically.
“““........................”””
At the mention of the word "current," a heavy silence fell over the group.
“...Do you guys remember the first time we fought alongside Lord Vargas Kaito?” one soldier asked quietly.
“...Yeah. It was the siege on that fortress held by the demon general.”
“...He made us dump all our food supplies and force-march to breach the fortress in record time.”
“...Strictly on Lord Vargas Kaito's orders.”
“I still remember him saying, ‘As long as you have willpower, you can fight without eating.’”
“““........................”””
“B-But! Lord Vargas Kaito was a ferocious commander!” a soldier cut in hastily.
“He always fought at the very front lines ahead of us!”
“Just watching his supreme swordplay blew away any fear of the enemy!”
“He always took on the toughest foes single-handedly!! He was truly a peerless warrior-general!”
“He was unbelievably strong. Though on the flip side, he never gave a damn about wounded soldiers...”
“““........................Come on, man.”””
“Alright, let me ask you then,” the blunt soldier pressed. “Don't any of you feel something's off with the current Lord Vargas?”
“...Well, maybe a little,” a comrade admitted reluctantly.
“...He suffered massive injuries, after all. Someone's personality can change after facing near-death, right?”
“...Why do you keep pointing it out anyway?”
“Right! That's my point exactly,” the blunt soldier declared, clapping his hands.
“What's your point?”
“I'm saying we should form a pact—to never point it out ever again.”
“A pact?”
“Hypothetically speaking, let’s say the current Lord Vargas Kaito is a body double. The real one might be somewhere else, healing his wounds.”
“...That's not impossible,” a soldier muttered thoughtfully.
“And Princess Ingrid and the commanders are trying to hide it. Most likely to keep troop morale intact.”
“Yeah, makes sense. If the Royal Army knew the Sword Saint was out of commission, mass panic would break out.”
“Now, if Her Highness caught wind that we suspect Lord Vargas Kaito isn't himself... what do you think would happen?”
“What would happen?”
“Word would eventually reach the real Lord Vargas Kaito. And knowing him, do you think he'd stay quietly on the sidelines until his injuries healed?”
“Hell no... He’d definitely drag his broken body right back to the front lines.”
“Exactly! And if that happens, our current situation changes drastically.”
—The current Lord Vargas with purification magic would vanish somewhere...
—No one would give a damn about providing us good, hot meals anymore...
—And our current reasonable marching pace would revert to that old, murderous death march...
“““..................”””
“See what I mean?” the soldier grinned smugly, looking around at his comrades.
Pleased with his own logic, he puffed out his chest.
“That's why we have to keep our mouths shut!”
“So that's what you meant by forming a pact?”
“Bingo,” the soldier nodded firmly.
He gave a decisive nod to seal the agreement.
“Above all, Vice Commander Marks must never, ever find out about this.”
“Yeah... Vice Commander Marks basically worships Lord Vargas Kaito.”
“If he harboured even a shred of doubt... he'd undoubtedly attack the current Lord Kaito—”
“Did I hear my title mentioned?” a stern voice boomed behind them.
“““────!?”””
The soldiers surrounding the campfire whirled around in terror.
Standing right there was Marks Leibniz, a striking man with a refined gray beard.
“It sounded as though you were speaking of the great Lord Vargas Kaito. Is something amiss with His Excellency?” Marks demanded.
“S-Sir! We were just praising the purified monster cuisine prepared by Lord Vargas Kaito, sir!!” a soldier barked, standing bolt upright.
“Sir! We were expressing our awe at Lord Vargas Kaito's legendary abilities, sir!!” another yelled instantly.
“Sir! We were honoring Lord Vargas Kaito for taking the front lines despite his recent injuries, sir!!” a third shouted in panic.
“Mm! Excellent! Splendid!!” Marks boomed, nodding in deep satisfaction.
Stroking his long, well-groomed beard, Marks Leibniz nodded approvingly.
“Lord Vargas Kaito is peerless in strength! Unrivaled under the heavens! Though he cannot draw his blade at present, he shall soon grace us once more with his magnificent swordsmanship!! We must build our strength so as not to disappoint him when that day comes! Continue your feast and sing praises to Lord Vargas Kaito's greatness!!”
“““YES, SIR! VICE COMMANDER MARKS!!”””
The soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' squad stood stiffly at attention, saluting with rigid perfection.
Satisfied with their response, Marks Leibniz turned on his heel and strode away with a proud grin.
As soon as his back was turned, the soldiers collapsed into relieved gasps—
“...That was way too close,” one wheezed.
“...Yeah. To Vice Commander Marks, Lord Vargas Kaito is literally a living god.”
“...I mean, the guy literally turned down a promotion to General just to stay at Lord Vargas's side.”
The soldiers exchanged frantic glances, huddling together to whisper in hushed tones.
To Marks, Sword Saint Vargas Kaito was an object of absolute worship.
Uttering even a whisper of 'the current Lord Vargas Kaito might be a body double' in front of him was suicide.
The moment those words reached Marks's ears, he would fly into an uncontrollable rage.
He would instantly march over to confront Lord Vargas to dispel any doubt.
Marks wielded a massive greatsword, said to be powerful enough to sever a dragon's leg in a single blow.
If that terrifying force were ever unleashed upon the current Lord Vargas—
“...We have to protect Lord Vargas,” a soldier vowed solemnly.
“...Yeah. We're Lord Vargas's subordinates, after all!” another agreed fiercely.
“...The current Lord Vargas actually cares about us! We can't afford to lose a guy like him!”
“Hey, hey, drop the ‘current’ part, will ya? There's only one Lord Vargas! Don't go saying things that'll cause misunderstandings!”
“““YOU'RE THE ONE WHO BROUGHT IT UP IN THE FIRST PLACE!!”””
Thus, entirely unbeknownst to Kaito, the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' squad officially formed the 'Alliance to Protect Lord Vargas from Blowing His Cover.'
—Meanwhile, Hero Princess Ingrid was inside her command tent—
“It seems Kaito is managing things splendidly,” Ingrid murmured to herself.
Gazing down at the tactical map laid out inside her tent, she voiced her thoughts aloud.
The operation was set to commence at dawn tomorrow.
Their primary objectives were reclaiming the occupied village and slaying the demon general, thereby causing the enemy army to collapse from within.
The demon general commanded relatively intelligent monsters, such as goblins and orcs.
These goblins and orcs acted as field commanders overseeing the beast-type monsters.
Through this command structure, the Demon Lord's forces functioned as a literal army.
However, the monsters possessed little true loyalty.
They obeyed the demon general solely out of monster instinct—the primal impulse to submit to the strong.
If they could slay or repel the demon general, the Demon Lord's forces would inevitably scatter and retreat.
“We may hold the advantage in this battle. No... optimism is dangerous in war,” Princess Ingrid noted quietly to herself.
The battle plan was set.
First, the main body of the royal army would draw the attention of the goblins, humanoids, and beastly monsters.
Meanwhile, the royal guards led by Ingrid would charge into the village and strike down the Demon General.
As for Vargas Kaito and the Soul of Flash, they were assigned to cover the army's rear from the backlines.
"Defeat is not an option," Ingrid declared quietly to herself. "Otherwise... using my brother as a catalyst to summon Kaito-san from another world would have all been for nothing."
Summoning Kirisame Kaito from another world was done solely to conceal the death of the Sword Saint, Vargas Kaito.
In that regard, the plan had succeeded. The soldiers' morale hadn't wavered for a moment.
In fact, Kaito had done far more than just play the part—he had solved their severe food shortage.
By distributing the army's rations to the refugees, he enabled the troops to sustain their march by consuming purified monster meat.
The refugees' anxieties had eased, and the soldiers had taken a genuine liking to the monster cuisine.
As a result, troop morale was higher than it had ever been.
"I owe Kaito-san a debt of immense gratitude," Ingrid murmured softly.
Taking up a soft cloth, she wiped the sweat from her body.
Her fair skin was completely unblemished, thanks to the natural healing powers bestowed upon a Hero.
Those who received divine revelations and became Heroes were granted a multitude of extraordinary abilities.
Mastery of swordsmanship, physical enhancement, self-healing, and the power to command a Holy Sword—all were divine gifts.
A Hero was expected to leverage these powers to strike down the enemies of humanity.
That was the duty of the chosen. It was a truth instilled in Ingrid from early childhood.
Yet, for all her gifts, Ingrid was still merely a Hero candidate.
To truly save the world, she needed to ascend to an even higher station.
She had to become the True Hero—the one chosen by the Seven Swords.
The True Hero was granted the authority to unite the nations and command the allied forces.
While Heroes possessing great power were chosen by God, the hierarchy of supreme leadership differed.
The True Hero who would unite mankind was chosen by the people—such was the ancient legend.
"Until I become the True Hero, I must keep fighting," she said, adjusting her tunic. "I must live, wield my sword, and save the people. If I view my healing powers as a tool for that purpose, then they are a blessing indeed."
Yet despite her healing ability, Ingrid was not immortal.
Moreover, the power was strictly self-contained—a limitation that filled her with bitter regret.
If only it had been me who took that poisoned arrow instead of Brother...
Would she have succumbed to the poison just as he had?
Or would her Hero's healing power have saved her life...?
I suppose I'll be tormented by that question for the rest of my life.
Ingrid shook her head vigorously, banishing the dark thoughts from her mind.
For now, she had to focus entirely on destroying the Demon Lord's army. That was her duty as a Hero.
There was no longer any escape from that responsibility.
—The Sword Saint, Vargas Kaito, had died protecting Princess Ingrid.
—And the otherworldly Kirisame Kaito had been summoned to cover up the Sword Saint's death.
She could not afford to let the sacrifices and efforts of both Kaitos go to waste.
"Still..." Ingrid mused softly, adjusting her attire. "I never expected Kaito-san to reveal his abilities so openly."
Even if he possessed the power of purification, he had been under no obligation to demonstrate it.
Yet he had chosen to use his purification skill right in front of everyone.
And the reason for that could only be—
"Kaito-san is burning with a passion to fulfill his mission and save the world!" she exclaimed, her eyes gleaming with admiration. "It must be!"
By using his purification power, he had demonstrated his unwavering resolve. She felt compelled to reward such noble dedication.
"I shall see to it that Kaito-san receives a prominent position in the kingdom," Ingrid pledged to herself. "A status where many will serve him and all will praise his name."
A dreamy look filled Ingrid's eyes as she continued to whisper her grand plans.
"We must also arrange a marriage for him," she babbled enthusiastically. "Since he will eventually attain the rank of duke, his bride must be at least the daughter of a count or marquis! We will hold his wedding as a grand state affair, so that countless citizens can shower Kaito-san with applause and cheers!"
Surely Kaito would be overjoyed.
She didn't know what his original world was like, but surely he had never experienced being celebrated by thousands of people at once. He might even shed tears of pure gratitude.
However, that was all in the future. For now, her primary focus had to be reclaiming the village.
Additionally... she needed to verify that no one suspected Kaito was acting as a substitute.
With those thoughts occupying her mind, Ingrid finished dressing.
Shortly after, the war council was convened.
It was decided that the operation to reclaim the village would proceed as planned at dawn the next morning.
During the meeting, Ingrid addressed the assembled officers.
"Have any of you noticed anything unusual about my brother?" she asked.
She paused briefly before adding context to her question.
"My brother has only just recovered from his grievous injuries," Ingrid explained carefully. "I thought he might seem slightly different from before..."
"Lord Vargas Kaito is our commander! There is not a single thing out of place about him!!"
The prompt response came from Marks, the vice-captain of the Soul of Flash.
"Indeed!" another soldier chimed in.
"Lord Vargas Kaito is the exact same as he has always been!!" shouted another.
"He hasn't changed in the slightest since before his injury!!" added a third.
The soldiers of the Soul of Flash voiced their hearty agreement in unison.
"I, Merida, am deeply proud to serve as Lord Kaito's subordinate!!" the mage Merida declared passionately.
She raised her voice with unwavering conviction.
Then, the other officers and staff joined in with their own observations.
"—Lord Vargas Kaito has always been a rugged, pragmatic Sword Saint," one officer remarked.
"—Marching forward even if it means eating monsters—that is classic Lord Kaito," another agreed.
"—His quiet, taciturn nature hasn't changed at all either," a third officer noted.
"—He is simply a man whose mind is constantly fixed on the battle ahead," another concluded.
The staff officers all nodded in solemn agreement.
It seems no one senses anything amiss, Ingrid thought to herself. As I believed, Kaito-san truly possesses a soul strikingly similar to my brother's.
She watched them with a quiet sense of relief.
There was no time to mourn her brother's passing.
Ingrid had to live as a Hero and devote her entire being to that duty.
For one who had received divine revelations, fulfilling her mission took precedence over all else.
Reminding herself of her solemn vow, Ingrid proceeded to make the necessary preparations for tomorrow's battle.
—Kaito's POV—
"...I completely blew it," I groaned aloud.
I sat inside my command tent, clutching my head in utter despair.
My brilliant scheme had backfired spectacularly.
I thought that by rendering monster meat edible, I would solve the refugees' hunger crisis and comfortably secure my own assignment to the rear guard, but...
"I didn't realize Princess Ingrid was such a noble person..." I muttered under my breath.
Giving away the army's rations to the refugees and ordering the troops to march on purified monster meat... I never dreamed a royal princess would give an order like that.
What was even crazier was that the soldiers actually accepted it without complaint.
Perhaps the concept of noblesse oblige ran far deeper in this world than I ever anticipated.
"...I just need to come up with a different strategy," I told myself.
I had no intention of throwing in the towel after a single setback.
My ultimate goal was to secure a safe rear-guard role, and then escape as soon as the conflict settled down.
To achieve that, I needed thorough preparation and solid intelligence gathering.
Once this battle was over, I would hole up in the royal archives and absorb every piece of information I could find.
And to make that happen—
"Holly, do you have a moment?" I called out softly.
I tapped the magic bracelet on my wrist.
The blue gem radiated light, and golden-haired Holly materialized inside the tent.
"I need to talk to you about something. Is now a good time?" I asked.
"Holly doesn't mind talking at all, Master!" she replied cheerfully before pausing. "Though... Master?"
"Yeah?" I responded.
"Why did you summon Holly while hiding under a blanket?" she asked, tilting her head.
"...Because there are guards stationed all around the tent, and I don't want our voices leaking out," I whispered back.
"Holly understands that, but..." she trailed off nervously.
"Would you have preferred I summoned you in the bathroom?" I offered.
"Absolutely not!" she squeaked frantically.
"Yeah, I figured," I sighed.
I was constantly surrounded by watchful eyes.
Guards stood outside my tent, and Merida dropped by every now and then to check up on me.
Even having a simple conversation with Holly required extreme caution.
"So here's my question... do you know of any way to prevent people from discovering my identity when I transform?" I asked.
"How about just not transforming in front of people?" Holly suggested helpfully.
"But if I vanish at the exact moment the Dragoon Knight appears, by process of elimination..." I pointed out.
"Everyone will figure out that Master is the Dragoon Knight?" she finished my sentence.
"Exactly. So I want you to brainstorm with me on how to keep my identity secret even after I transform," I said.
"Understood! Holly will do her best to help!" she agreed happily.
"...All I wanted was to stay safely in the rear," I grumbled under the blanket.
"Holly knows," she nodded sympathetically.
"And yet the soldiers ended up eating monster meat..." I groaned.
"Yup. That's what made everything so complicated," Holly agreed. "That abnormally tall bearded guy went and gave orders to the troops—"
"Marks Leibniz," I supplied.
"Was that his name?" Holly blinked.
"Yeah, that's him," I nodded.
"R-Right. Once that bearded guy gave the order, that reckless young fellow was the first to leap into action—"
"Randolph," I interrupted.
"Huh?" Holly gasped.
"If he's the brown-haired, overly cheerful guy, that's Randolph," I clarified.
"Um... Master?" she squeaked, staring at me in wonder.
"What is it?" I asked.
"What about the muscular guy with tanned skin who was constantly roasting his comrades?"
"Decil," I answered instantly.
"And the soldier with the pretty, feminine face who was helping roast the meat?"
"Emil. He's actually standing guard outside my tent right now," I told her.
"Who's the other guard on watch?" she asked.
"Jackal. He's the young guy with the scar across his cheek," I replied without missing a beat.
"Master... do you remember all of the soldiers' names?" Holly asked, her eyes wide.
"There was a roster in the library," I shrugged.
"You matched every single face to their name? All of them?!"
"I'm the one who fed them monster meat," I explained quietly. "If something goes wrong, it'd be bad if I couldn't match their faces to their names."
"Aren't you being way too responsible, Master?" she breathed.
"It's just part of the job," I said flatly.
I was working as a substitute, playing the role of the Sword Saint.
Monsters might target me in combat.
When that happened, the soldiers of the Soul of Flash would put their lives on the line to shield me.
It felt disrespectful not to even bother learning the names of people willing to die for me.
"Treating people with equal respect as fellow human beings... is just common sense for a working adult back home," I muttered.
"But Master, you still intend to disappear from everyone's sight eventually, right?" Holly inquired gently.
"Yeah," I admitted.
"So Master and Holly are going to become wandering Dragoon Knights~ That doesn't sound half bad either~" she hummed softly.
"How far can I get while transformed as the Dragoon Knight?" I asked her.
"Right now, staying transformed for long periods is impossible," Holly cautioned.
While the Dragoon Knight was the ultimate warrior, it was still my own physical body moving inside the suit.
Maintaining the transformed state required training and physical endurance.
"In your current condition, Master can probably only stay as the Dragoon Knight for about twenty-five minutes," she estimated.
"Twenty-five minutes, huh..." I sighed deeply.
"Holly doubts you could escape beyond the horizon in that short amount of time," she pointed out.
"I suppose not," I agreed.
Once this battle was won, I would be returning to the royal capital.
When that happened, I would need to squeeze in time to train and build up my stamina.
"Anyway, before I plan any escape, there's something else I need to take care of," I said.
"Hmm? What is it?" Holly asked, tilting her head.
"Your story," I replied.
"Holly's story?"
"Your background, and everything that's happened to you up until now," I clarified.
"Holly is just a spirit bound to a magic item, basically a familiar," she said, looking surprised. "Are you really interested in Holly's past, Master?"
"Well, you're my work partner now," I said simply.
"Well, that's true..." she murmured softly.
"So tell me your story," I urged gently.
"Alright! But... Holly wants to learn all about Master too," she requested, smiling bright.
"Sure thing," I agreed.
"Hehehe," she giggled.
And so, huddled together beneath the blanket, Holly and I shared our stories and opened up to each other about our pasts.
---

Comments
Post a Comment