I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 5
Chapter 5: The Substitute Sword Saint Evaluates His Subordinates
──Kaito's POV──
"Lord Kaito, could I ask you to oversee the rewards and evaluations for the soldiers?"
Merida asked as she stepped into my room the day after our return to the royal capital.
I'd read about post-war evaluations in books before.
It was essentially a formal process of evaluating those who had distinguished themselves in battle and bestowing appropriate rewards.
"Specifically, I would like you to write an evaluation report on the soldiers, Lord Kaito."
Merida bowed her head politely as she spoke.
"It is a commander's duty to assess how their subordinates fought. I would love for you to evaluate how the members of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad performed on the battlefield—just to whatever extent you're comfortable with, of course."
"So I just need to put together a written report?" I asked for clarification.
"Yes, precisely," she confirmed.
"Did Vargas Kaito usually handle this himself too?"
"Indeed he did."
"Is there a sample or previous template I could look at...?"
"I could request his past documents, but... it would take a bit of time. Besides, Master Vargas Kaito wasn't exactly the type to look back over documents he had already written..."
"So calling for his old paperwork would look suspicious, wouldn't it?" I guessed.
"I apologize for the inconvenience," she replied apologetically.
Her logic was sound.
As his body double, asking to pull Vargas Kaito's previous reports just to draft a new one would definitely raise eyebrows.
I'd better just draft the document myself from scratch, using my own judgment.
"What about the handwriting...?" I asked.
"Once you have written a draft, Lord Kaito, I will transcribe a clean final copy for you," Merida offered.
"To double-check the content as well?"
"Yes. That was how we handled Master Vargas Kaito's paperwork as well."
"So we just keep doing things the same way."
"Yes! Rest assured, I will support you every step of the way, Lord Kaito."
Merida gave a firm, earnest nod.
And so, I ended up taking on the task of evaluating the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad.
"Holly, I need your advice," I said.
Once Merida had left the room, I summoned the spirit Holly.
"What's on your mind, Master?" Holly chimed in.
"I want to ask you about Vargas Kaito."
"Hmm?"
"Vargas Kaito never actually became a Dragoon Knight, but his bracelet was nearby, right?"
"That's right, it was!"
"So I figured you must know at least a few things about him."
"Hmh... I only know a little bit, though," Holly admitted, floating thoughtfully.
"Did you ever see him doing paperwork?"
"I did!"
"What was he like back then?"
"He used to plow through documents one after another! I remember him boasting out loud: 'This is easy,' 'Piece of cake,' 'I'm great at paperwork,' and 'A bit of paper is no match for me!'"
"So he was actually good at administrative work?" I mused.
"Though he did rewrite them over and over again," Holly added.
"Was his handwriting messy, maybe?"
"That sounds about right!"
"That explains why Merida had to transcribe clean copies for him."
"That's pretty much all Holly knows about it!"
"Thanks. That actually helps a lot."
Summarizing Holly's testimony gave me the following points:
• Vargas Kaito was skilled at paperwork.
• He processed documents quickly while declaring, "I've got this!"
• However, his handwriting was terrible.
• As a result, he had to rewrite documents multiple times before passing them to Merida.
──or something to that effect.
To be the Sword Saint and still be proficient at paperwork—that was seriously impressive. As expected of the Hero's older brother.
I don't know if I can pull off the exact same thing, but... I have to give it a try.
If I prove that I'm useful at desk work, maybe they won't send me out to the front lines as much.
...Alright. I'm going to give this paper everything I have.
"I just need to write about how the 'Soul of Flash' Squad performed, right...?" I murmured aloud.
"Pretty sure that's it!" Holly agreed cheerfully.
"Here goes nothing."
"Do your best, Master!"
With that, I set to work drafting the report.
──The Next Day. Merida's POV──
"Is this... the report Lord Kaito wrote...?"
Merida stared blankly at the document spread out before her.
It was only yesterday that she had asked him to compile an evaluation report.
Yet by the time morning came, it was already complete.
When she went to give him her morning greetings, a sleep-deprived Kaito had handed it straight to her.
With a brief "Let me know if there are any mistakes," Kaito had retreated back into his room.
Merida brought the papers back to her own desk to review them.
He was a person from another world, so it was only natural if there were some formatting errors or oversights.
She had assumed she could simply fix any minor issues while transcribing the final copy, but...
"This is completely beyond my expectations... I never imagined Lord Kaito would produce a report like this..."
If she submitted this as it was, it would cause a massive uproar.
It was beyond touching up. What in the world was she supposed to do...?
Troubled, Merida re-read the contents of the document once more.
What was written upon those pages was as follows─
"Regarding the Performance of the Soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad.
• Evaluation of Randolph Dailos and Jackal Fars
In the recent battle, Randolph and Jackal were the first to spearhead the assault into the Demon King's army.
Randolph successfully eliminated five Orc Mages.
During the engagement, he sustained fire magic strikes to his left arm and right leg, but the injuries remained light.
By taking the initiative to eliminate the long-range spellcasters, Randolph enabled the rearguard soldiers to engage the enemy safely.
I believe his achievements and willingness to brave such danger warrant high commendation.
Jackal defeated 12 Giant Wolves on the front line.
Jackal's defensive support was instrumental in allowing Randolph to deal with the Orc Mages efficiently.
Jackal's battleaxe suffered noticeable nicks and wear during the engagement.
Arrangements should be made to repair or replace his weapon using public military funds.
In light of these factors, both Randolph and Jackal undeniably deserve first-class merit honors.
• Evaluation of Emil Carmista and Decil Waterm
Emil is an exceptionally skilled marksman.
His precision was evident from how accurately he pierced the Giant Wolves right between the eyes.
His ranged bombardment threw the Giant Wolves into disarray.
As a result, Randolph and Jackal were able to breach the enemy lines, a contribution that demands due recognition.
Decil expertly intercepted and dispatched monsters attempting to close in on Emil.
Thanks to his protection, Emil was able to rain down long-range attacks without fear of being overrun.
The combined efforts of these two also merit high praise.
• Galunga Zalawest
Bearing his greatshield, Galunga drew the enemy's aggro and..."
"He's entirely too competent! Lord Kaito!!"
Merida held her head between her hands, overwhelmed.
She had never dreamed he would draft such an extraordinarily detailed evaluation report.
It was far too perfect. There wasn't another commander in the entire kingdom who observed their subordinates with such painstaking care.
However──
"Master Vargas Kaito... would never write evaluations with this level of detail..."
Vargas Kaito had detested administrative work.
"Paperwork is no enemy of mine. The only enemy I fight is the Demon King's army!" had been his favorite phrase.
On top of that, his reports had been hilariously crude and vague.
His assessment of the entire 'Soul of Flash' Squad usually fit on a single, sparse page.
To be precise, it usually read something like: "Vanguard: High Merit. Rearguard: Medium Merit. First-Class Merit: The guy with red or black hair."
In a sense, that couldn't be helped.
Fighting at the very front of the vanguard made it nearly impossible for Vargas Kaito to monitor how his rearguard subordinates were performing.
That was why Merida had always edited and elaborated on his notes when transcribing the final reports.
Kaito's report, however, was the exact polar opposite. He named each individual soldier of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad, analyzed their roles, and detailed their specific tactical contributions.
While it was truly admirable... it was far too excessive.
If she submitted a document like this, someone might realize Kaito was a body double.
"To keep his identity hidden... Merida will just have to rewrite the report from scratch."
Merida took her pen in hand.
She set out to draft a new, simplified document using Kaito's report as reference, but then──
"............I can't do it."
Merida collapsed limply onto her desk in defeat.
She had sworn her unyielding loyalty to Kaito. How could she possibly reject or downgrade a document he had worked so hard to write?
"This calls for drastic measures. I must enlist the aid of everyone in the 'Soul of Flash' Squad!"
If she couldn't alter the report, she had no choice but to alter everyone else to match the report.
That way, any sense of discrepancy would vanish entirely.
"Now is the time to prove what Merida Caintos is capable of!"
With renewed determination, Merida set out to find the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad.
──The Next Day. In the Mess Hall──
"I slaughtered a bunch of Orc Mages back there! But damn, those bastards managed to hit me with their magic attacks!"
"Seriously?! Randolph!!"
"Specifically, it was fire magic! But it was just a scratch, I tell ya!!"
"Man, you really busted your ass out there..."
"Hey, don't sell yourself short, Jackal! You cleared out those Giant Wolves so I could focus on taking down the Orc Mages, didn't ya?"
"Yeah, now that you mention it. Pretty sure I downed at least double digits of 'em!!"
"Now that's impressive!"
"Nah... none of us can match Randolph," one soldier admitted with a shrug.
"Well, as long as the two of us gave it our all, right?" another chimed in.
"Damn straight! Vargas-Lord Kaito will surely recognize our efforts! Am I right, boys?!"
"Hell yeah!" the soldiers bellowed in unanimous agreement.
"Come to think of it, Emil, Decil—you two were incredible out there!"
"Aw, it was nothing special..." Emil demurred bashfully.
"Don't sell yourself short! Emil's arrow pierced right between the eyes of that Giant Wolf," Decil insisted. "Thanks to that, Jackal and I had an easy time taking it down."
"That's only because you protected me, Decil!"
"...Protecting the archer is just my job," Decil grunted simply.
"Don't be so modest! Everyone ought to hear about how hard you fought!"
"Yeah! Everyone deserves to know!!"
"You bet!!" the surrounding squad members cheered in unison.
"Speaking of which, how did Galunga the shield-bearer do...?"
The boisterous voices of the 'Soul of Flash' squad echoed across the crowded mess hall.
Their lively chatter reached the ears of all the other soldiers present, as well as the generals—
—and, naturally, Kaito, who was quietly eating his meal in a corner of the dining hall alongside Merida.
"Lord Kaito, how are you finding the mess hall food?" Merida asked softly.
"It's pretty good," Kaito replied with a polite nod.
"I am glad to hear it suits your taste."
"Though... why are we dining in the mess hall today?"
"I thought a change of scenery would do you good," she explained smoothly.
"By the way, Merida... what Randolph and the others are making a commotion about...?" Kaito lowered his voice nervously.
"Quite surprising, isn't it?" she remarked, her gaze unblinking.
"The things they're talking about match up suspiciously well with the report I wrote..."
"They are remarkably similar. What a coincidence."
"...Um," Kaito stammered, sweatdropping.
"A total coincidence," she repeated, maintaining a perfectly rigid posture.
"............"
"It is entirely coincidental."
"Right, of course," Kaito conceded, giving up.
"Still, we can rest easy now. Everything adds up perfectly..."
Merida let out a quiet sigh of relief.
—A few days later, during a strategy conference held within the royal palace—
"I understand the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' squad were making quite a racket in the dining hall the other day," Prime Minister Simon noted.
"A most embarrassing affair," Marks replied, bowing his head apologetically.
At the prime minister's pointing out, Marks, the vice-commander of the 'Soul of Flash' squad, lowered his head.
"As the one overseeing the unit, I offer my sincere apologies."
"No, no, I understand how the men feel," Simon offered with an understanding nod.
Prime Minister Simon nodded gently.
"After all, they have only just slain a Demon General. It is natural their spirits were running high."
"Your understanding is deeply appreciated."
"However, it seems their chatter managed to reach Vargas-Lord Kaito's ears. His Lordship has submitted an extraordinarily detailed account regarding the deeds of the 'Soul of Flash' for the commendations."
"Vargas-Lord Kaito did?" Marks blinked in surprise.
"Perhaps he overheard the rumors and used them as reference material."
"If that is the case, then we have a problem," Marks said, his brow furrowing in concern.
A sour look settled onto Marks's face.
"There is no guarantee the soldiers recounted their achievements accurately. If they exaggerated their exploits and Vargas-Lord Kaito took them at face value, the commendations will be skewed."
"That seems highly unlikely," Simon countered.
"Why do you say that?"
"The report contained specifics that could never have been gathered from mere casual gossip. The exact number of monsters felled by each individual soldier, tactical details of the fight, and even precise notes on weapon degradation."
"Vargas-Lord Kaito compiled a document of such granular detail...?"
"Overhearing the squad's conversation must have jogged Vargas-Lord Kaito's memory of the battle."
"That may well be true, but..." Marks murmured, remaining dubious.
"His report aligns perfectly with the testimonies of the other troops. There is no issue whatsoever."
"Then we are agreed on bestowing rewards upon the 'Soul of Flash'?"
"I have no objections."
"Still, it remains baffling. For Vargas-Lord Kaito to write such a remarkably detailed report..."
"I-Indeed..."
"It is quite unlike Vargas-Lord Kaito. Almost as if he were a completely different person—"
"If I may speak, my lords!!" a crisp voice interjected into the discussion.
"Well, well, Merida-dono," Simon acknowledged, turning toward her.
"Do you have an opinion to share?"
"I do! Neither of you truly understands Lord Kaito's feelings!" Merida declared firmly.
"And what, pray tell, do you mean by that?"
"During the recent battle, Lord Kaito remained in the rear, quietly watching over his subordinates as they fought!"
Merida pressed her argument with utmost earnestness, her expression grave and passionate.
"Lord Kaito was undoubtedly frustrated by his inability to fight on the front lines! That is precisely why he observed every single detail of his men's actions so meticulously!!"
"Aah!" Simon gasped.
"So that was his reason?!" Marks blinked in sudden comprehension.
"Lord Kaito exerts effort far beyond that of ordinary men. Though he must feel bewildered by his changed circumstances, he continues to push himself relentlessly!"
"O-Ohhh..." both men exhaled in awe.
"We too must strive to match Lord Kaito's dedication! All to defeat the Demon King's army and bring lasting peace to this world!!"
"O-Of course!!" Simon sputtered, caught up in her fervor.
"We must redouble our efforts as well!!" Marks agreed enthusiastically.
"Then we are agreed that this document is approved as written?" Merida asked smoothly.
"I-Indeed."
"There is no issue. None whatsoever!"
"...I am deeply relieved," Merida murmured softly.
Seeing their enthusiastic assent, Merida exhaled a long breath.
"...Lord Kaito. Merida has successfully carried out the plan," she whispered under her breath.
"...Huh?" both men blinked, catching her quiet murmur.
"It is nothing at all. Pay it no mind," she replied smoothly, offering a flawless smile.
With those words, Merida bowed politely and withdrew from the council room.
"Thank you all for your cooperation," Merida said to the assembled men.
Merida offered a polite word of thanks to the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' squad.
The location was the military barracks situated right beside the royal palace.
There, Merida stood facing the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash'.
"Lord Kaito had only just returned to active military duty when he was tasked with preparing the commendations. Therefore, I needed Lord Kaito to hear directly from you about how each of you performed on the battlefield."
That had been Merida's scheme all along.
Have the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' boast about their achievements in a crowded area.
Bring Kaito to that exact location.
Create the undeniable fact that Kaito had overheard the members of the 'Soul of Flash' recounting their deeds on that very spot.
That way, she could construct the narrative that listening to their stories had allowed Kaito to 'remember' what happened on the battlefield.
Thus, that overly detailed report of his would no longer seem suspicious.
Naturally, she could not reveal any of this to the 'Soul of Flash' soldiers.
And so, Merida had simply requested of them, 'Please make sure to talk up your accomplishments while in the mess hall.'
"Because you provided such accurate reports, everything went smoothly. You have my gratitude."
For Merida, this plan had been a gamble.
Had the soldiers claimed things that were untrue, contradictions would have emerged between their words and Kaito's written report.
If that occurred, either Kaito or the 'Soul of Flash' squad would have been proven wrong.
And that would have instantly aroused the suspicions of Marks and the prime minister.
However, the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' had spoken with complete honesty.
They had neither exaggerated their deeds nor twisted the facts in the slightest.
The soldiers belonging to the 'Soul of Flash' were men of integrity who could be trusted.
Merida had come to understand this beyond a shadow of a doubt.
"Please continue to dedicate yourselves to Lord Kaito's service."
"Ma'am! We remain Lord Kaito's most loyal subordinates to the end!!" the squad members declared in unison.
Merida and the soldiers of the 'Soul of Flash' exchanged respectful nods.
And with that, Kaito's commendation process concluded without a single issue.
"...Vargas Kaito is far too competent an individual," Julia mused aloud.
Sitting in her private room, Julia Ashgate murmured softly to herself as she perused a stack of documents.
On the surface, Julia's official mandate was to assess whether Princess Ingrid possessed what it took to become the 'True Hero'.
However, she had also received a secret set of instructions.
Namely, to ascertain whether the Mithrafil Kingdom was truly worthy of being an ally to the Holy Kingdom.
The five neighboring realms had formed a military alliance for the purpose of defeating the Demon King's army.
For now, that arrangement was sufficient.
Yet one had to look beyond the Demon King's defeat. Once the menace of demons and monsters was eradicated, clashes among humans could easily break out.
The realm the Holy Kingdom was most cautious of was Mithrafil Kingdom.
Mithrafil possessed both a Hero candidate and the Sword Saint. Furthermore, its population surpassed that of surrounding nations, granting it a proportionally massive military force.
While the Holy Kingdom desired Mithrafil to be strong enough to vanquish the Demon King, an overly powerful Mithrafil presented a severe threat.
Hence, Julia was conducting investigations so that, should the need arise, key talent could be poached for their own nation.
"The key individual the Holy Kingdom must win over... is Vargas-Lord Kaito."
Previously, the intent had been to headhunt the order's Grand Master or other high-ranking warriors.
Vargas Kaito had never even been considered a potential candidate.
Though he held the title of Sword Saint, he was not undisputed as the strongest. Moreover, even if he were illegitimate, poaching a member of royal blood was deemed exceptionally difficult.
Consequently, neither the Holy Kingdom nor Julia had given him much attention until now...
"And yet... for his value to skyrocket only after suffering an injury... What a mysterious man he is."
Furthermore, there was the lingering mystery surrounding the 'Dragoon Knight'.
Julia still harbored doubts that Vargas Kaito might actually be the Dragoon Knight.
If that were true, Mithrafil Kingdom would command three overwhelming forces: a Hero, the Sword Saint, and the Dragoon Knight. Leaving such power unchecked was out of the question.
Thus, Julia established two clear objectives for herself:
—Uncover the true identity of the Dragoon Knight.
—Win over Vargas Kaito, an exceptional talent, to the Holy Kingdom's side.
"The one with the higher probability of success... would be the latter," Julia murmured softly.
As she spoke, Julia ran a comb through her shimmering golden hair and tied it up neatly once more.
Both her gorgeous hair and her striking beauty were weapons in Julia's arsenal.
She would employ every charm at her disposal to captivate Vargas Kaito, draw close to him, and extract information.
If possible, she would secure definitive proof that he was the Dragoon Knight.
To achieve her goals, Julia Ashgate began to make her move.
—A few days later, Kaito's Perspective—
"Pardon the intrusion, Lord Kaito."
As I sat reading a book in my room, Merida's voice called out from the doorway.
"It is Merida. I have come to tend to your hair. May I come in?"
"Tend to my hair?" I asked, looking up.
"Yes, to prepare you for tonight's victory banquet."
Come to think of it, tonight is the victory party at the royal palace.
I'm expected to attend as Vargas Kaito, but... man, I really don't want to go.
I mean, I'll do the job I signed up for, but still.
The book I'm reading right now is literally a manual on royal etiquette.
I've practiced walking like a prince and standing with proper posture. I even had Holly inspect my movements.
For the record, Holly's feedback was: "Your eyes are swimming all over the place, nodis!"
Supposedly, that still barely counted as a passing grade.
All that was left was to review my notes while waiting for the party to start, but...
"First, may I have a word with you?" Merida requested from outside.
"Sure. Come on in."
"Excuse me," she said, stepping into the room.
When Merida entered, she was dressed in full maid attire.
“Pardon the intrusion once again. I’m here to wash and style your hair, Lord Kaito. That’s why I changed into clothes I don't mind getting a bit dirty.”
Ah, so that’s why she’s wearing a maid uniform.
She probably tied her own hair up so it wouldn't get wet either.
“Is something the matter, Lord Kaito?” Merida asked, noticing my gaze.
“...It’s nothing,” I mumbled in response.
It was strange, but Merida looked younger than usual today.
When serving as a court mage at my side, she looked to be in her early twenties.
But with her hair pinned up and wearing that maid outfit, she easily looked like she was in her mid-teens.
How old is Merida, really?
“Um, Merida...”
“Yes, Lord Kaito?” she replied attentively.
“Well... how old are... Never mind. It’s nothing.”
I don't possess the advanced social skills required to ask a woman her age.
“So... you're going to style my hair?” I asked instead.
“That is the custom for royal banquets,” Merida explained. “Countless nobles will be attending, so we must ensure your appearance is impeccably fitting for Lord Vargas Kaito.”
“I see.”
“Normally, court ladies-in-waiting would assist Lord Vargas Kaito with his grooming... but under the current circumstances, I judged it safer if I handled it alone, and Princess Ingrid granted her permission.”
“To make sure my true identity isn't exposed?” I checked.
“Precisely. You may feel uneasy having me groom your hair, but I promise to do my absolute best...”
“It’s fine. I trust you, Merida.”
“Thank you so much! Please take a seat in that chair, Lord Kaito.”
I sat down as instructed, and Merida carefully wrapped a cloth cape around my neck.
She placed a bowl of warm water on the adjacent chair, then laid out a comb and a pair of scissors beside it.
She’s surprisingly quick and efficient about this.
In fact, she seems to be enjoying this way more than her usual mage duties.
“Everything is ready. Please lean back against the headrest, Lord Kaito.”
“...”
“Lord Kaito? That’s the wrong direction. Huh? Why are you slumping forward?” Merida asked, bewildered.
...Well, because I'm nervous.
Even back in my original world, going to get a haircut was always an ordeal for me.
New salons made me anxious, but once I became a regular, the barbers would start making small talk.
It was so hard finding a place where I could just sit in peace...
Still, this was part of my duty today. Steeling my resolve, I decided to entrust myself to Merida.
I leaned my back against the chair's backrest and let my weight rest against it.
“Go ahead.”
“W-Well then, I shall begin,” Merida stammered nervously.
Her slender fingers gently touched my head.
The teeth of Merida's comb ran smoothly through my hair.
A soft snip-snip and rhythmic comb strokes echoed gently in the room.
The occasional click of scissors meant she was trimming away the excess length.
She’s remarkably skillful at this.
Can all members of the Seven Swords handle hair styling too? That's impressive...
“...I’m sorry. We... have placed such a heavy burden upon you, Lord Kaito.”
A faint voice murmured from behind me.
“All we should ever ask of you... is to simply stay by our side... and yet...”
“Merida?” I called out.
“...Ah!” she gasped.
The motion of the comb and scissors abruptly froze.
“F-Forgive me! I got so lost in styling your hair... I started rambling nonsense!”
“I didn't hear anything,” I lied to save her embarrassment.
“Huh?”
“It felt so soothing having my hair combed that I was almost nodding off.”
“Is that so...” she breathed a sigh of relief.
“I think you must have it really tough, Merida.”
“Pardon?”
“On top of your duties as one of the Seven Swords, you have to look after me, too.”
“That’s not true at all! Merida is... not the person you seem to think I am...”
“Is that right?”
“Yes...” she whispered softly.
The soft swish of the comb resumed, punctuated by the occasional click of scissors.
The faint sound of sloshing water followed as she wrung out a damp cloth to serve as a towel.
A pleasantly warm cloth pressed gently against the nape of my neck.
“Lord Kaito... may I share a secret with you?”
A faint voice whispered close to my ear.
“Would you forgive me if I told you something... meant strictly between the two of us?”
“Sure,” I agreed.
After giving my consent, I decided to add one more thing.
“I won't tell a soul.”
“Thank you, Lord Kaito.”
“Mm-hmm.”
“In truth... Merida was never meant to become one of the Seven Swords.”
The palm resting against the back of my neck was trembling slightly.
“The one destined for the Seven Swords was my... twin sister. But due to certain circumstances... she suddenly disappeared. I was chosen simply to take her place.”
“Is that so?” I asked softly.
“My sister was an extraordinary person. Her mastery of magic was incredible, and everyone adored her. If she were here, she would have supported you flawlessly, Lord Kaito. Or perhaps... she might even have prevented your summoning altogether.”
“Well, I don't know if anyone could have...” I began.
“She really was amazing,” Merida insisted earnestly.
“...I see.”
“That's why I am nothing more than a makeshift substitute for the Seven Swords. Honestly, I'm far better suited for styling hair, cleaning, or cooking. Strange, isn't it? For a court mage, I mean.”
Merida gave the scissors a light, rhythmic snip in the air with a self-deprecating chuckle.
“I am genuinely happy to be of service to you like this, Lord Kaito. But deep down, I know I lack the caliber to bear the title of the Seven Swords...”
“...Merida,” I murmured.
“I’m sorry. Forgive me for blurting out such strange things.”
Silence fell between us for a long moment.
Only the soft snips of scissors and the gentle stroke of the comb echoed in the quiet room.
So Merida became one of the Seven Swords in place of her sister...
She’s just like me.
Just as I’m standing in as a body double for Vargas Kaito, Merida is standing in as a stand-in for her sister.
Maybe the reason I felt a strange sense of comfort around Merida... was because she shared a position so similar to my own.
Though, that's just my own selfish assumption.
People in another world naturally have their own complex circumstances.
A gloomy outcast like me who can barely converse with people has no right to act like I understand her. Yeah, that would be rude.
And yet—
“You’re amazing, Merida,” I said quietly.
“...Huh?”
“You stepped in for your sister and you’re properly carrying out your duties as one of the Seven Swords. You’re doing your job. I think... that’s truly admirable.”
“No, not at all! Someone like me... compared to you, Lord Kaito...”
“I’m only managing to play the body double for the Sword Saint because you and everyone else are constantly helping me,” I pointed out.
“...Lord Kaito.”
“But you’re pushing forward through your own strength.”
If her sister had suddenly vanished, Merida couldn't have had any time to prepare to become one of the Seven Swords.
It must have been extraordinarily difficult for those around her to support her adequately, too.
And yet, Merida was carrying out her duties admirably.
She even went out of her way to communicate with an outsider like me. Dealing with a gloomy outcast like me must be exhausting, yet she put in every effort. I genuinely believed that was remarkable.
...I should try my best to cooperate so Merida's work becomes a little easier.
First step... is learning to talk to her properly.
Though, how exactly do I do that?
This is an alternate world. Depending on how I word things, she might misunderstand. Since I'm the body double for the Sword Saint, every word I speak carries weight. Wait, is it even okay for the Sword Saint to refer to himself as "ore"? Wouldn't "watashi" or "jibun" be more appropriate for a Sword Saint? Maybe I should check with Merida, but I shouldn't add to her workload over something like this. She's already styling my hair, after all. Speaking of which, how long is this hair styling going to take? I forgot to ask when it would be finished. But if I ask "Are we done yet?", she might think I'm rushing her. What do I do? Merida's hands have stopped moving, too. What should I do...?
“Lord Kaito? Is something wrong? You’ve been quiet for a while now...” Merida inquired hesitantly.
“Uh, well... I...”
“No, it's alright. Please... don't say anything right now,” she whispered.
Merida’s hands remained still, holding the comb.
They rested near the nape of my neck.
The spot where her skin brushed against mine grew surprisingly warm.
“All finished. I have styled your hair like this,” Merida announced, breaking the quiet.
She held out a small mirror in front of me.
My hair... looked pretty good, I supposed.
Not that I had any idea what a Sword Saint's hairstyle was supposed to look like, anyway.
“Thank you, Merida.”
“N-No, it was my pleasure!” she squeaked.
Turning around, I saw her hurriedly lowering her head in a bow.
When she lifted her face, her eyes quickly averted from mine.
Merida isn't a professional barber, after all. She's probably just nervous after handling my hair.
“U-Um... Lord Kaito,” she began timidly.
“Yeah?”
“It might be wise to eat a little something before the banquet. Royalty rarely get a chance to eat while at the venue.”
Come to think of it, I couldn't really picture royalty eating at formal banquets.
Since they act as hosts for the gathering, they probably don't have time to touch the food.
“Should I prepare something light for you now?”
As she offered, Merida cast her gaze downward.
“As I mentioned earlier, rather than acting as one of the Seven Swords... Merida is far better suited to grooming hair, cleaning, or serving meals.”
“...Then could I ask you to make something?” I requested.
“Certainly! Would you tell me what kind of dish you prefer, Lord Kaito?”
“An egg dish.”
The answer slipped out of my mouth purely by instinct.
Back home, my weekend meals almost always consisted of coffee and egg sandwiches.
They were easy to eat while gaming, after all.
“Understood! Please wait just a moment!” Merida exclaimed brightly.
With that, she practically bolted out of the room.
“Thank you for waiting. I hope this suits your palate... Here you are.”
About ten minutes later, Merida set a plate bearing a hot dish in front of me.
On the plate was a freshly cooked omelet.
“Apologies for such a simple meal. I haven't cooked much lately, so my skills might be a bit rusty... Ah, forgive me! I haven't tested it for poison yet! Since it's for you, Lord Kaito, I must properly sample it first... I'll fetch another knife and fork right away—”
“It's delicious.”
The eggs were light and incredibly fluffy.
Cutting into it with my fork revealed a savory filling of cooked vegetables and tender meat.
Mixed together with the soft, runny egg, the combination tasted amazing.
“This is the tastiest thing I’ve eaten since coming to this world,” I blurted out.
“K-Lord Kaito? Um... the poison testing...”
“So good... Truly amazing...”
“A-Ah, um...”
“You could open your own restaurant, Merida.”
“...U-Um...”
“It’s shockingly good...”
Ah, it's already gone.
I’d devoured the whole thing without thinking. Well, I couldn't help it—it was that good.
“...Lord Kaito.”
“Thank you for the meal. It was delicious.”
“...Lord Kaito,” she repeated softly.
“If... the opportunity ever comes up again...”
“I will gladly make it for you anytime!” she declared eagerly.
“Piping hot, just like today. I don't need any poison testing for food you make for me, Merida.”
“Yes! Understood!”
With a bright response, Merida bowed deeply once more.
Keeping her eyes turned away from mine, she gathered up the empty dishes.
“Thank you very much, Lord Kaito.”
“Ah, no. I'm the one who should be thanking you,” I replied.
“No,” Merida murmured.
She shook her head gently with her eyes cast downward.
“...I was so happy. I'm glad Merida became one of the Seven Swords. I've never felt this way before... A-Ah, no, excuse me!”
And with that, Merida hurried out of the room.
—-
Comments
Post a Comment