I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 9

Arcadia

 

Chapter 9: Kaito Encounters a New Spirit


—Ingrid's Perspective—


“Saved by the Dragoon Knight yet again, it seems...” Ingrid murmured softly.

Hero Princess Ingrid looked around the wide expanse of grassy plains.

The battle was over.

They had wiped out the ambushing forces. The only reason it had taken so long was because maneuvering a massive army inside the dense forest proved exceptionally difficult.

Thus, they had no choice but to slay the monsters one by one as they poured out of the woods.

Once their numbers were sufficiently thinned, Ingrid led a fierce charge to mop up the remaining enemy forces.

By the time she finished, the clash against Demon General Gaizes had already concluded.

It was the Dragoon Knight who had defeated Demon General Gaizes.

Meanwhile, the warriors of the Souls of Flash took care of the remaining beastmen.

However, they couldn't completely eradicate the beastmen, as the creatures shifted tactics halfway through and focused entirely on fleeing.

Even so, only one or two had managed to escape alive.

According to the scout reports, the rest had shared the same fatal fate as Demon General Gaizes.

“And after that, the Dragoon Knight vanished like the wind once more, did he?” Ingrid sighed.

Once again, she had failed to uncover the true identity of the Dragoon Knight.

Even so, a record of the conversation exchanged between the Dragoon Knight and Demon General Gaizes remained.

The soldiers stationed in the rear were the ones who provided the details.

Incidentally, when questioned, the soldiers of the Souls of Flash who fought on the front line only offered excuses: “We were so focused on combat that we didn't hear a thing,” or “I feel like I heard something, but I can't remember,” and “Forgive us, we're just unrefined soldiers.”

She could understand how they felt, however.

They had been closest to the main body of the enemy army, so they hardly had the leeway to strain their ears to overhear conversations.

“Demon General Gaizes supposedly asked him, ‘Are you an impostor? Or are you the real thing?’” she reflected.

That was the question the demon general had pressed upon the Dragoon Knight.

In response, the Dragoon Knight had reportedly replied, “I am not the real one. The genuine article is elsewhere.”

“The genuine article and an impostor... That hits far too close to home,” Ingrid muttered with a bittersweet smile.

A self-deprecating grimace touched her lips.

For she fully grasped the deeper meaning behind the exchange between the Dragoon Knight and Demon General Gaizes.

Most likely—

“He must have been referring to the True Hero,” she mused aloud.

The title of “True Hero” referred to the ultimate hero chosen and acknowledged by the Seven Swords.

Only the True Hero chosen through the Selection Ceremony earned the right to wield the Grand Holy Sword.

Such an existence posed an existential threat to the Demon King's army.

That was surely why Demon General Gaizes had asked the Dragoon Knight whether he was real or fake, suspecting that the mysterious knight might be the True Hero himself.

To which the Dragoon Knight had answered that he was not the real one, and that the genuine article was somewhere else.

Those words implied that the person the Dragoon Knight revered as the True Hero existed elsewhere.

And in all likelihood, the one he regarded as the True Hero was not Ingrid.

The fact that the Dragoon Knight had never revealed his identity to her was proof enough of that.

“I am merely a temporary hero... nothing more than a substitute. If the demon general had asked me whether I was real or fake, I too would have had no choice but to answer that I am not the real one,” she whispered softly.

Securing the unanimous support of all Seven Swords was a daunting task.

Each of the Seven Swords, chosen from the surrounding nations, naturally prioritized their own country's interests.

During the previous ceremony, Merida had been the sole sword to voice support for Ingrid.

The other six, including Julia Ashgate, had withheld their judgment.

That couldn't be helped.

Ingrid herself was not yet fully prepared to bear the weight of being called the True Hero.

Especially when standing in the shadow of her elder brother, who had newly attained the title of Sword Saint.

...I wonder if Brother ever truly forgave me...

The sudden thought unbiddenly crossed her mind.

Her brother had poured blood, sweat, and tears into honing his swordsmanship since childhood.

Yet Ingrid had surpassed him in an instant, blessed with the raw talent of a Hero.

From that point onward, her brother barely spoke to her anymore. Not only that, but he began training with his sword with a terrifying, almost demonic ferocity.

Through endless, grueling dedication, Vargas Kaito had finally earned the mantle of Sword Saint.

Ingrid had watched his struggles up close every step of the way.

And that was precisely why the doubts weighed so heavily on her heart.

During the Rite of Selection a year ago... was I secretly afraid of becoming the True Hero?

If she became the True Hero, Ingrid would stand far above her brother in status and standing.

Had she subconsciously rejected that reality in the deepest corners of her heart?

Had the Sword of Selection seen through that very weakness in her spirit?

Was that why the Sword of Selection had not chosen her?

If I had become the True Hero back then, would Brother have survived?

She did not know.

If I become the True Hero now, will it truly honor his memory?

There was no way to tell.

...What did Brother... really think... of me...?

There was no longer any way to discover the truth.

Even so, Ingrid had no choice but to strive toward becoming the True Hero. She had no other way left to repay her brother's sacrifice.

For her brother, Vargas Kaito, had laid down his life fighting to save the world.

She longed to become the real thing—a True Hero recognized by all.

...Please watch over me, Brother Vargas.

As Ingrid walked along, lost in these melancholic thoughts—


“Can you hear us, Lord Vargas Kaito?!”


—the loud voices of soldiers echoed in the air.

Standing lined up outside Kaito's private tent were the soldiers of the Souls of Flash.

“Reporting in, sir! Randolph Dailos here! Thanks to your guidance, Lord Vargas Kaito, we claimed victory today! I personally felled three lycanthropes!”

“Submitting my... report, sir! Decil Waterm here! I took down two beastmen. They moved so fast... my greatsword couldn't quite catch them all. A regretful performance on my part.”

“Reporting! Jackal Fars here! Defeated four beastmen! Though honestly, it was only because the edge on my new battleaxe was so sharp. And the only reason I could purchase this axe with public funds was thanks to you, Lord Vargas Kaito... Huh? Nothing to thank you for? Even so, my gratitude to you remains unchanged, Lord Vargas Kaito...”

“Zarekt Fashas reporting... Oh, no, please, there's no need to come out of the tent! We know you're inside listening to us, Lord Vargas Kaito!”

The soldiers of the Souls of Flash were enthusiastically addressing the empty flap of Kaito's tent.

Kaito himself was nowhere in sight, presumably resting inside.

She had heard that he spent the battle being carried around the field on the back of a Phantom Pawn.

He must have been incredibly tense, facing mortal peril firsthand.

I've put Kaito-san through quite an ordeal, haven't I? Ingrid thought remorsefully.

With that realization, she stepped forward toward the tent.

“You men shouldn't bother my brother so much,” Ingrid chided gently as she approached.

“L-Lady Ingrid!” one soldier gasped, straightening up instantly.

“Forgive us, Your Highness!”

“We were merely reporting to Lord Vargas Kaito, our military inspector...”

“I understand. You were reporting your achievements in today's battle to him, correct?”

Ingrid looked around at the soldiers of the Souls of Flash.

“However, that report can wait. My brother was carried across the battlefield atop a Phantom Pawn. He must be drained from the tension and fatigue. Please, let him rest for now.”

“Y-Yes, Lady Ingrid!” they barked in unison.

“I shall speak to my brother on your behalf,” Ingrid offered, reaching out toward the canvas flap.

She placed her hand on the entrance of the tent.

“That won't be necessary at all!” the men shouted in panic.

“Please, just let Lord Vargas Kaito rest!”

“We'll leave immediately! Yes, we're leaving right this second!”

“...Is that so?” Ingrid blinked, tilting her head in confusion.

“Yes, ma'am!!” they yelled together.

“My brother... seems truly beloved by his subordinates,” she observed warmly.

“Of course he is!”

“There is no superior finer than Lord Vargas Kaito!”

“We have sworn our absolute loyalty to Lord Vargas Kaito!”

“...I see. It gladdens my heart to hear that,” Ingrid murmured, nodding in quiet admiration.

She gave a satisfied nod of approval.

“I shall convey your words to my brother at once—”

“No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!”

The soldiers of the Souls of Flash violently shook their heads back and forth in terror.

“Please, just let Lord Vargas Kaito rest!”

“We beg of you! For the love of mercy, spare us!!”

“You can even strike our battle achievements from the record! Just please, leave Lord Vargas Kaito alone...!”

“What on earth is wrong with you men...?” Ingrid asked, utterly baffled by their frantic behavior.


“...Is something the matter?” a calm voice called out.


The inquiry came from the direction opposite the tent.

Ingrid turned to see Kaito and Merida Caintos strolling back toward the encampment together.

“Brother? I thought you were resting inside your tent?” Ingrid asked, surprised.

“...bathroom,” Kaito muttered softly.

“These soldiers were standing outside your tent, however...”

“...Ah,” Kaito squeaked, realizing what had happened.

“If you were outside all along, why were these men submitting their reports directly to your empty tent...?”


“We were practicing our reporting!” the soldiers blurted out in unison.

“We cannot afford any errors when battle honors are awarded, ma'am!!”

“Practicing proper reporting procedures is part of our duty as Lord Vargas Kaito's direct unit!!”


“...I see,” Ingrid nodded slowly.

She gave an understanding nod.

Kaito hailed from another world. He undoubtedly possessed his own unique ways of managing things.

And the Souls of Flash had embraced his methods wholeheartedly.

If so, Ingrid had no reason to complain or pry further.

After all, she was the one who had asked him to act as a body double for the Sword Saint.

Demanding that he act precisely like her late brother in every respect would be sheer arrogance on her part.

Kaito-san handling his subordinates differently from Brother is probably a good thing, she mused.

Though her chest ached slightly at the realization.

Though seeing a face identical to her brother's was still painful to bear.

Even so—

“Good work today. Brother, Merida, and all of you soldiers as well—make sure to get plenty of rest tonight.”

With those final words, Ingrid turned and took her leave of Kaito.


—After the Battle—


With the battle drawn to a close, the royal army marched back to the capital.

In the aftermath, an official commendation ceremony was held to evaluate and reward the accomplishments of the soldiers.

The one judged to have contributed the most was the Dragoon Knight.

This distinction was granted directly upon Hero Princess Ingrid's recommendation.

She proclaimed that the Dragoon Knight had saved the kingdom's populace and urged the court to bestow high honors upon him on behalf of the nation.

However, the Dragoon Knight did not belong to the kingdom's ranks.

As such, King Mithrafil could not grant him a standard reward.

Therefore, the king declared to the assembled court:


“Should the Dragoon Knight ever wish to swear allegiance to our nation, I pledge to bestow upon him a rank worthy of his noble deeds.”


The Kingdom of Mithrafil held the Dragoon Knight in extremely high esteem.

If he ever desired to join the Kingdom of Mithrafil, a position of great honor awaited him.

That was the king’s final decision.

The second-class honors went to the soldiers of the Soul of Flash.

Following the Dragoon Knight into battle, they had defeated the forces led by Demon General Gaizes. Their contributions were immense.

“The soldiers of the Soul of Flash be awarded financial bounties, along with housing and land!”

Prime Minister Simon announced grandly before the royal court.

“Furthermore, Randolph Dailos and Jackal Fars achieved particularly distinguished merits. As such, they are to be promoted to unit commanders. These two are granted permission to leave the Soul of Flash to lead their own respective units. Randolph Dailos, Jackal Fals—step forward!”

““Understood, Your Excellency!””

The brown-haired Randolph and the scar-cheeked Jackal stepped out from the ranks.

Approaching the dais, both men dropped to one knee before the throne.

“You two demonstrated outstanding bravery and merit in the battle against Demon General Gaizes,” King Mithrafil declared. “This is your reward. Step up and accept it.”

“...With all due respect, Your Majesty,” Randolph began, keeping his head bowed.

“...I, too, have something to request,” Jackal added in agreement.

Both soldiers spoke firmly while remaining prostrate on the floor.

“We... wish to remain as rank-and-file soldiers in the Soul of Flash.”

“I share the exact same sentiment, Your Majesty.”

“Say what!?”

The Prime Minister let out a gasp of utter shock.

“You are being selected for commander positions!?” Chancellor Simon gasped, sputtering in disbelief. “Are you truly saying you refuse such an honor!?”

““Yes, sir.””

“What could possibly be your reason!? Speak!!”

“Allow me, Randolph Dailos, to answer on behalf of us both, sir.”

Randolph offered a respectful bow before continuing.

“You see, sir... we’ve got something we want to protect.”

“Something to protect...?” Prime Minister Simon furrowed his brows. “Do you mean the populace? Or your comrades?”

“Begging your pardon for being blunt, sir, but it’s our comrade.”

“You would throw away a career advancement for the sake of your comrades?”

“Yes, sir. See, we’ve got a comrade who’s insanely reckless.”

“An extraordinarily reckless comrade...?”

“That person... certainly has incredible ability. And super smart, too. A noble individual who’s always putting us first. But man, are they dangerous to leave alone. Thanks to them, the battle wrapped up quickly and we all survived... but cleaning up the loose ends and covering for them afterwards is a nightmare...”

“...Hrmm,” Chancellor Simon grunted, rubbing his chin.

“Don’t get us wrong, getting promoted to commander is a huge honor,” Randolph explained earnestly. “But even if we took up those positions... we’d be so worried about that reckless person we wouldn’t be able to focus. So... until this war with the Demon Lord’s army settles down, we want to stay right where we are.”

“Until the war settles down, you say...”

“Once peace is restored, we’d be more than happy to take those promotions, sir.”

“...I share Randolph’s sentiments exactly,” Jackal chimed in.

Randolph and Jackal bowed their heads low to the floor once more.

A heavy silence fell over the grand hall.

The king, the prime minister, and the high-ranking officials were all rendered speechless.

Even Kaito was standing quietly in the background, thinking to himself, Man, the camaraderie between soldiers is really something else.

“Would that not be acceptable, Father?”

Princess Ingrid was the one who broke the silence.

“They are simply expressing their desire to remain by their comrades’ sides until the fighting subsides,” she noted smoothly.

““That’s pretty much it, Your Highness!!””

“I support your decision,” Princess Ingrid stated with a nod. “Land... of the Soul of Flashing Light, and... J-Jami...”

“Randolph Dailos, Your Highness.”

“...Jackal Fals, Your Highness.”

“Randolph and Jackal, then,” Princess Ingrid said, nodding approvingly. “You possess admirable loyalty. Once the war against the Demon Lord’s army comes to an end, I would love for you to join the Royal Guard.”

“Yes, ma’am! We’d be honored to serve as guards for the Sword Saint!” Randolph replied eagerly.

“It would be our greatest privilege to serve you,” Jackal agreed.

“...Hm?”

Princess Ingrid tilted her head in confusion.

Failing to catch the subtle quirk in their words, she turned her gaze back to the king.

“What say you, Father? Shall we grant these men their wish?”

“Very well,” the king decreed warmly. “Your resolve to remain on the front lines for the sake of the kingdom is magnificent. As soon as the war with the Demon Lord’s army concludes, you shall be formally granted your rightful titles.”

““Thank you very much, Your Majesty!!””

And so, the award ceremony continued on.


──Julia Ashgate POV──


“Next! Julia Ashgate!”

“...Huh!?”

Hearing her name called, Julia’s eyes widened in surprise.

“Julia Ashgate. Is she not present?” Chancellor Simon called out again, scanning the room.

“Y-Yes! I am here...” Julia stammered out, hastily straightening her posture.

She composed herself quickly and straightened her posture.

With graceful, solemn steps, she stepped forward before the throne.

“Julia Ashgate,” Chancellor Simon addressed her. “You are one of the Seven Swords dispatched from the Holy Kingdom. Ordinarily, you would not be included in our kingdom’s award ceremony, but a special recommendation was submitted on your behalf.”

“A... recommendation?” Julia repeated, blinking in bewilderment.

“Indeed. From Lord Vargas Kaito,” the prime minister informed her.

Chancellor Simon continued with a nod.

“Lord Vargas Kaito submitted a detailed report regarding the achievements of the Soul of Flash. Within it, he explicitly commended your distinguished service on the battlefield.”

“T-That is...”

“Lord Kaito highly praised your prowess—unleashing magic against the enemy troops, and drawing your sword to confront powerful foes.”

“────!?”

For a moment, Julia’s breath hitched in her throat.

I relied purely on offensive magic when fighting enemy troops! I only drew my blade a single time...

Julia was a magic knight. On horseback, she almost exclusively wielded offensive spells.

That was how she had fought during the battle against Demon General Gaizes’s army.

She had driven back the swarming beastmen using her spellcasting.

She had drawn her sword exactly once.

The one and only time was when the Dragoon Knight commanded her to take up arms, causing her to unsheathe the Sword of Selection.

Had it been any other battlefield, Lord Kaito could have claimed he heard reports of her fighting style from the soldiers.

However, the moment she used her sword was completely different.

Because at that time, the only person by her side was the Dragoon Knight himself.

Which meant that the true identity of the Dragoon Knight was—

(Lord Vargas Kaito────! How could you────!!)

Julia nearly clutched her head in sheer astonishment.

T-True, I did suspect that you might be the Dragoon Knight!? But this is ridiculous!! For someone who hid their identity so meticulously, making a slipup like this is practically impossible, isn't it!?

Furthermore, Julia had unsheathed the Sword of Selection.

The Sword of Selection could only be drawn under the command of the True Hero.

In other words, by drawing it, Julia had implicitly acknowledged the Dragoon Knight as the True Hero.

Perhaps that had been inevitable.

Julia had found herself watching Lord Vargas Kaito constantly.

—Lord Vargas Kaito, beloved by the soldiers.

—Lord Vargas Kaito, so exceptionally skilled at administrative paperwork.

—Lord Vargas Kaito, who effortlessly shattered her schemes.

—Lord Vargas Kaito, who showed zero interest in Julia no matter how elegantly she dressed.

—And Lord Vargas Kaito, who had stood before Demon General Gaizes as the Dragoon Knight to protect her.

Without realizing it, Julia’s mind had become completely occupied by him alone.

I... have already acknowledged him as worthy of being the True Hero, haven't I?

Julia was a daughter of high nobility in the Holy Kingdom.

Though born into a prestigious family, she despised the stifling, formal noble society.

She desired to prove her strength on the battlefield and serve a sovereign of her own choosing.

That was precisely why she had volunteered to become one of the Seven Swords.

She believed that only the True Hero could be a master worthy of her trust and loyalty.

To Julia, Lord Vargas Kaito was the absolute ideal lord.

The Sword of Selection revealed the Dragoon Knight’s identity beyond doubt. But... would Lord Vargas Kaito truly make such a careless blunder?

A sudden doubt flashed across Julia’s mind.

Lord Vargas Kaito had previously corrected the financial records of the Mithrafil Kingdom.

He had caught and handled even the smallest discrepancies without missing a single detail.

Would a man like him really make a clumsy mistake that exposed his secret identity?

Impossible. If he revealed his identity to Julia, there had to be a deeper meaning behind it!

Could this... be a secret message from him?

Even now, Lord Vargas Kaito stood discreetly behind Princess Ingrid.

Obscured by the shadows of Princess Ingrid and the prime minister, his figure was hard to see.

Their eyes had met several times.

Yet every time Julia looked his way, Lord Vargas Kaito shuffled further into the shadows—almost as if he were trying to block her gaze.

I understand the meaning behind your actions, My Lord!

—Their eyes meet.

—He shifts behind Princess Ingrid... retreating into the shadows.

I see it now! You are nonverbally telling me to keep it an absolute secret that I recognized you as the True Hero, aren't you!?

His subtle movements whenever their eyes met were meant to remind her of the moment she drew her sword.

And his hiding in the background was a silent command to keep the secret of the Sword of Selection concealed!

"Hiding behind the Hero Princess" is a message meaning, "For now, I wish to support her from the shadows"! You have no intention of stepping into the spotlight just yet... That is what you mean, isn't it!!

Overwhelmed with emotion, Julia clutched her hands to her chest.

Understood. Outwardly, I, Julia Ashgate, shall act merely as an envoy of the Holy Kingdom. But my true loyalty already belongs to you... Lord Vargas Kaito...

Julia sent an intensely passionate gaze straight toward Vargas Kaito.


──Kaito POV──


“...She’s staring super hard at me,” Kaito whispered.

“...Master, what did you do to that woman?” Holly asked in a low voice.

“I just wrote up her evaluation for the commendation list...”

“Because she fought so desperately?”

“Yeah. She put in a lot of effort.”

“Were you watching her performance in battle, Master?”

“Her eyes kept darting my way, so I looked away every now and then.”

“Is that so?”

“Wait... did I fail to accurately evaluate her merits because of that...?”

“Master is so diligent.”

“Well, it’s my job, after all.”

“But just bear with it a little longer. Holly has powered up again!”

“Because we defeated the Demon General?”

“And it seems we also took down some weird demon.”

“The one the Phantom Pawn took out?”

“Thanks to that, we can access the mansion now!”

“Tell me more.”

“Later!”

Currently, they were right in the middle of the award ceremony hall.

To escape her piercing gaze, Kaito had been inching away bit by bit, until he was now all the way at the edge of the hall.

To be precise, he was hiding behind statues, large vases, and decorative ornaments.

While whispering back and forth with Holly, Kaito was eagerly waiting for an opportunity to make his escape.


A few days later. Kaito decided to lock himself in the archive room starting right from the morning.

He had finished all his work the day before. As for an attack from the Demon Lord’s army... there probably wouldn't be one today.

If one happens, I'll just have to accept that I'm plain unlucky...

“I’m going to stay inside the archives all day today,” Kaito explained. “I’m taking some bread and drinks with me. I’ll come out in the evening, so please don’t knock. I have a mountain of research to do. I’ll lock it from the inside so I can concentrate, but if something urgent comes up...”

“It is completely fine, Lord Kaito.”

Standing before the archive doors, Merida gave a gentle nod.

“You wish to have the day to yourself, correct? In that case, Merida shall assist you in every way possible.”

“Thank you, Merida.”

“May Merida ask you one thing?”

“Sure.”

“Lord Kaito... you will not suddenly leave for somewhere far away without telling us, right?”

Merida lowered her eyes as she posed the soft, anxious question.

“If you truly insist on departing... there is nothing Merida can do to stop you. Merida has no right to hold Lord Kaito back. Though it would make Merida terribly lonely...”

“............Wait.”

“We have forced so many heavy burdens upon Lord Kaito,” Merida continued, her voice trembling slightly. “We have asked so much of you. Therefore, even if Lord Kaito were to leave us behind... Merida would accept it. But please, at least leave us a word before you go! Merida... that alone would be enough...”

“...Listen,” Kaito said gently, chuckling awkwardly. “I’m really just going into the archives to do some research.”

“Y-Yes?”

“I’ll come back. I’ll come out in the evening and have dinner.”

“Understood! Merida shall prepare egg dishes for you again then!!”

“I’ll look forward to it.”

“Yes! Merida is... so very happy!”

Pressing her hands to her chest, Merida bowed deeply with a radiant smile.

"Lord Kaito," Merida called out.

"Hmm?" I turned back to look at her.

"You are who you are, Lord Kaito. You should just stay true to yourself. As far as I am concerned, no one has any right to tell you otherwise."

"Well... uh, thanks," I stammered, caught off guard.

"Those were the Dragoon Knight's words," she added with a gentle smile. "I thought it was a lovely sentiment, so I decided to borrow it."

"I see," I murmured with a small smile of my own.

"Well then, I shall eagerly await your swift return."

With those final words, Merida bowed deeply.

She remained in that respectful posture until I finally closed the archive door.


"Alright, time to open the gate to the mansion!" Holly declared dynamically.

As she raised both hands into the air, a shimmering door materialized right in midair.

Apparently, this was the gateway leading directly to the Great Sage's mansion.

"Now that I've powered up, opening a gate to the mansion is child's play for someone as great as me! Heh-hem!" she puffed out her chest proudly.

"Thanks, Holly," I replied with an appreciative nod.

"Yup! By the way, Master..."

"Yeah?"

"Are you really planning on coming back to the castle? You could easily disappear forever right now if you wanted to."

I knew what Holly was getting at.

No one knew the location of the Great Sage's mansion. It was protected by a powerful barrier, ensuring monsters couldn't even approach it.

It was fully equipped with every modern necessity for daily life, so living there would be completely comfortable.

Which meant...

"You're saying I could just bid farewell to the Kingdom of Mithrafil... and live at the mansion instead, right?" I asked softly.

"Exactly!" she nodded eagerly.

"...I think I'll pass for now," I replied after a moment's thought.

"Is it because you made a promise to Merida Caintos?" she inquired.

"Yeah. Plus, walking away from a job half-done just doesn't feel right."

It would be terrible if the Kingdom of Mithrafil fell because I abandoned my duties.

I didn't want Merida or the rest of the Soul of Flash to die either.

If something like that happened, I'd end up spending the rest of my days holed up in the mansion, burdened by constant regret.

I didn't think a life like that would be any fun at all.

"You really have a self-sacrificing streak, Master," Holly sighed, shaking her head.

"Can't be helped," I chuckled dryly.

"Well, you should just stay true to who you are! Merida Caintos made a really good point back there."

"Though technically, those were original lines from the Dragoon Knight," I pointed out with a wry smile.

"Merida Caintos has probably figured out the Dragoon Knight's true identity anyway," Holly noted playfully.

"I doubt she'll ever tell anyone," I replied smoothly.

"So you trust her that much?" she teased.

"Most likely."

"I'm kind of jealous," Holly pouted slightly.

"Don't worry, I trust you just as much, Holly."

"Then that's all right! Now, onward we go—!" she squealed with delight.

And with that, Holly and I stepped through the gate.


Stepping out of the gate, we emerged high up on a mountain peak.

The sky felt remarkably close, stretching endlessly overhead.

A cliff dropped sheer right in front of us, its base shrouded in a thick blanket of mist.

I wonder how high up we actually are...

"U-Um, well, the elevation isn't actually that extreme," a nervous voice spoke up beside me.

Standing right next to me was Holly, now transformed into her human-sized form.

Just like before, her cheeks were flushed bright red.

Our distance was... a bit closer than last time. Her shoulder was pressing right up against mine.

"It's definitely a mountaintop, but it only looks super high because the mansion is surrounded by a barrier of mist... Wait, Master?! Why are you backing away from me?! Holly is trying her best here, so please get used to human-sized Holly already...!"

"...I'll try," I grunted, taking a half-step back to keep my distance.

"You shouldn't have to 'try'! I want you to relax and get used to big Holly!" she whined, pouting.

"I'll put in the effort," I promised stiffly.

"Not effort! Ugh... A-Anyway, let me show you around the mansion!"

Holly grabbed my hand without hesitation.

After pulling me along for a few steps, a grand building came into view.

A pair of large double doors marked the main entrance at the front.

"The Spirit of the Golden Dragon, Holly, has returned! Unseal the mansion!" she declared formally.

As Holly made her declaration, the heavy doors began to glow with magic.

With a crisp click, the lock disengaged, and the doors slowly swung open.

Stepping inside... the interior looked much like a wealthy noble's mansion.

A grand staircase greeted us right past the main foyer.

To the right were the baths and washrooms, to the left was a spacious living area, and the second floor held several smaller rooms.

It seemed like a cozy place to live, but...

"Holly, where are the books on magic?" I asked, looking around.

"Probably... at one of the other mansions," she admitted sheepishly.

"Other mansions?"

"The Great Sage owned quite a few mansions, you see."

The Great Sage apparently maintained different bases and residences depending on their purpose.

For example, a mansion meant strictly for relaxing and resting.

Another for conducting magical research.

And yet another meant for entertaining guests.

He had a mansion for each function and assigned a specific spirit to manage every one.

"Holly is in charge of this mansion, which is why I could open a portal here so easily. Since this is the relaxation villa, there's no library. Still, Great Sage Aaron was an avid reader who was never without a book, so I thought there'd at least be a grimoire or two..."

"...Doesn't look like there are any around, though," I remarked, scanning the halls.

"I'm so sorry, Master," Holly apologized, drooping her shoulders.

"It's not your fault," I assured her gently.

"In that case, I'll cook you a massive feast to make up for it!" she declared, brightening up instantly.

With that, Holly ducked into one of the rooms on the main floor.

After waiting a short while, she dashed out, fully dressed in a maid uniform.

"Now that I'm this size, I should be able to cook just fine!" she proclaimed proudly.

"Why the maid outfit?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, Merida Caintos wore one before, right? You looked so happy back then!"

"Did I really?" I scratched my cheek.

"Holly is always watching Master very closely!"

Holly leaned in, peering intently into my face.

...For some reason, I'm feeling a lot of pressure right now.

"Alright, time to cook! There's a magically enhanced storage room here, so the ingredients should still be fresh. I'll make something that puts Merida to shame! I'll call you when it's ready, so feel free to relax until then!"

With a energetic nod, Holly trotted off toward the kitchen.

I decided to explore the rest of the mansion.

Maybe some books were left behind in the bedrooms. Book lovers usually like to read before going to sleep, after all.

So I went around checking the private rooms on the second floor one by one.

The layout of each room was almost identical.

Each had a large bed, a window, and two doors along the wall.

One door led to a shower and the other to a toilet. The large windows were probably meant for taking in the view. Maybe he changed rooms depending on his mood for the night. Only the final room lacked a bed. Given the bookshelves, it was probably a study. Yet, there were no books—just a desk, a chair, and some paper, pen, and ink.

"It feels like someone moved out," I mused aloud.

The thought suddenly crossed my mind.

The furniture was there, and all the essential functions for living were intact.

Water came out of the faucets, and the magical climate control kept the ambient air warm.

Yet, it completely lacked any sense of being lived in.

Personal items like clothes and books were entirely missing.

In fact, there was nothing that showed any hint of the Great Sage's personality.

"I wonder if there's any item that could get me back to my original world..." I muttered.

I checked the desk drawers.

The first drawer was empty. So was the second.

When I opened the third drawer...

"...Hmm?"

A faint noise echoed from inside the drawer.

...Huh. There's something glowing. This is... a pendant.

It had a silver chain and a crimson gemstone attached to it.

Free of dust, it sparkled brightly, looking as good as new.

It felt faintly warm to the touch. Was it an accessory used by the Great Sage?

Looking closely, there was a sheet of paper underneath it.

It was written in the script of this world.

"'Reborn immortal one. Seeker of a new life. Soul transformed into purity. Awaken, power of the strongest knight.' ...Ah."

I instinctively covered my mouth.

This is just like what happened with Holly...


"Ta-daaa!"


A loud voice rang out from the pendant.

The crimson pendant burst with light, casting a distinct silhouette.

It took on the shape of a person... right before my eyes...

...Uh.

"Hey, Holly! Found a friend of yours!" I called out.

"Wait, wait, wait! Don't just ignore me and walk away!" the girl shouted desperately.

Drag, drag...

The newly appeared girl was clinging tightly to my arm.

She was probably a spirit just like Holly.

The reason she was human-sized from the start was likely because we were inside the Great Sage's mansion.

She was slightly shorter than Holly.

Her hair was tied with a large ribbon. Her hair was bright red, and her eyes were a shade close to black.

"What's wrong, Master?" a voice asked.

Hearing the commotion, Holly came running up, apron still on.

"There was another spirit," I explained.

"Ah, I see! No wonder you were so surprised," Holly nodded.

"Introduce us," I asked.

"Roger that! ...Wait, huh?"

Ladle in hand, Holly tilted her head in confusion.

"Who... is this girl?"

"You don't know her?" I asked.

"Nope! Maybe she was created after Holly was," she guessed.

"...I don't... know you either," the red-haired spirit muttered, shaking her head.

Clinging to my arm, the red-haired girl shook her head softly.

"Um... what's your name?" I asked.

"I'm Lilla," she replied.

"I've never heard that name before," Holly remarked.

Holly tilted her head curiously.

The red-haired spirit looked over at Holly and asked,

"And who are you?"

"Holly is the spirit of the Dragoon Knight!" she declared proudly.

"...Never heard of that either," Lilla replied.

"What does that mean?!" Holly gasped.

"I wonder what it means..." Lilla echoed, tilting her head as well.

Both blonde Holly and red-haired Lilla stood there, tilting their heads in sync.

"...Well, I guess the minor details don't really matter right now," I sighed.

I tried to unpeel Lilla's arms from mine as I spoke... Wait, she's resisting?

Seriously, I don't even understand why she's clinging to me like this in the first place.

And Holly, you really don't need to compete with her!

Also... isn't there a burning smell coming from the first floor?!

"Oh, there was one thing I forgot to mention!"

The spirit Lilla looked up at me and flashed a cheeky smirk.

"I hereby deem thee worthy, and appoint thee as the Phoenix Knight!"

The very next instant, a storm of light particles enveloped my body.

It forged a set of deep crimson armor, formed a matching helmet, and materialized a massive battleaxe.

My mount took the shape of a magnificent bird with crimson feathers.

Presumably, this was the spirit Lilla in her transformed state.

"The Phoenix Knight is a warrior endowed with powers of regeneration and healing! As long as I'm around, Master will never get hurt or die! So rest easy and fight for justice... Wait, where are you going, Master?! Hey! You blonde over there?! Don't dispel the armor Lilla just created!! I finally got to transform! He's the first Master I've ever found! Hey... don't leave Lilla behind to go eat dinner! W-Waaah! Don't leave me all aloneeee!!"

...And so.

At the Great Sage's mansion, I met a new spirit and gained a whole new set of powers.


—-

Toc

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment