I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 7
Chapter 7: The Substitute Sword Saint Obtains a New Role
—Merida's POV—
A few days later, a high-level strategy meeting was convened within the royal palace.
In attendance were the Prime Minister, several high-ranking generals, the Hero Princess Ingrid, Marks—vice captain of the Soul of Flash—and Julia, one of the Seven Swords, attending as an official observer.
With the defeat of Demon General Panaceras, the tide of war had shifted dramatically, forcing the kingdom to reevaluate its strategic response.
It was in the middle of this session that Merida put forth a bold proposal.
"Why don't we appoint Lord Vargas Kaito as our Military Inspector?" she suggested.
Her voice echoed clearly across the chamber, drawing everyone's attention.
In the kingdom's military hierarchy, a Military Inspector was responsible for overseeing and directing troops from the rear command.
Their role was to issue tactical commands safely behind the front lines, evaluating the soldiers' combat performance and assigning merit.
That position is far better suited for Lord Kaito, Merida thought to herself.
Just a few days prior, Merida had encountered the enigmatic entity known as Phantom Pawn.
Claiming to be a subordinate of the Dragoon Knight, Phantom Pawn had offered to coordinate operations alongside the royal army.
He had promised to act as a messenger, relaying the Dragoon Knight's directives directly to the kingdom's forces.
That construct is surely being controlled by Lord Kaito... or rather, the Dragoon Knight, she reasoned.
She wanted to grant him the freedom to wield that formidable power without restriction.
And the post of Military Inspector offered the perfect cover.
Commanding from inside a strategic command tent would keep him hidden from prying eyes.
So long as he remained inside the tent, no one would notice when he transformed into the Dragoon Knight or stepped away from his post.
It was an arrangement that offered Lord Kaito every conceivable advantage.
And I've already laid the groundwork for this behind the scenes, Merida noted inwardly.
On the very day she met Phantom Pawn, Merida had conferred with Emil.
The two of them had quickly agreed that Lord Kaito's true identity had to be protected at all costs.
Merida had then shared her plan to make Lord Kaito a Military Inspector with Emil, asking him to persuade the soldiers of the Soul of Flash to support the move.
If the rank-and-file soldiers backed the idea, Vice Captain Marks would inevitably fall in line.
And with Marks's endorsement, securing Lord Kaito's appointment would be practically guaranteed.
Lord Kaito belongs in the rear guard, Merida reflected with a quiet fond concern. He can be so recklessly earnest at times...
Thinking back to the day she took a walk with him, her heart still skipped a beat. It had been quite a nerve-wracking experience.
She had never anticipated that a subordinate of the Dragoon Knight would materialize so close to the royal capital.
Had anyone else spotted Phantom Pawn, it would have sparked absolute panic.
Naturally, she understood Lord Kaito's intentions.
He must have felt compelled to demonstrate to Merida and the others that Phantom Pawn was a trusted ally.
Lord Kaito fully intended to wage war against the Demon King's army using the power of the Dragoon Knight.
All for the sake of people like Merida, with whom he originally shared no ties whatsoever.
And Phantom Pawn was simply the instrument he chose to facilitate that cooperation.
I will prove worthy of Lord Kaito's trust, she vowed silently. My loyalty belongs entirely to him.
It was with that unshakeable conviction that Merida raised her voice in the strategy council.
"Appoint my brother, Vargas Kaito, as Military Inspector..." Princess Ingrid murmured, repeating the proposal thoughtfully.
She glanced around the table, gauging the reactions of the assembled commanders.
"As vice captain of the Soul of Flash, I whole-heartedly second the motion!" Marks declared, raising a hand.
It was Marks who spoke up without a moment's hesitation.
"Lord Sword Saint has yet to fully recover his physical peak," Marks explained earnestly. "However, his presence on the battlefield is essential to maintain troop morale. Assigning him to supervise from the rear guard is the ideal solution. Furthermore—"
"Furthermore?" Ingrid prompted, narrowing her eyes slightly.
"Since suffering his injury, Lord Sword Saint appears to have developed remarkable new talents," Marks added with enthusiasm.
Marks's eyes gleamed as he continued passionately.
"During the rewards assessment, Lord Sword Saint demonstrated impeccable judgment. In financial matters as well, he displayed a remarkably keen perspective. Overseeing the troops from command headquarters may well unlock even more dormant aptitudes. Allowing him to gain broader strategic experience outside of raw combat is precisely what he needs right now."
"Marks Leibniz makes a compelling point," Ingrid conceded with a nod.
She leaned back in her seat, weighing his arguments carefully.
"My brother cannot fight on the front lines in his current state. Inspiring the troops from a secure position is the wisest course."
"Thank you very much, Your Highness," Merida said, bowing deeply.
Relief washed over her as she lowered her head politely.
The royal family had summoned Lord Kaito to serve as a symbolic figurehead, reassuring the realm that the Sword Saint was alive and well.
There was no practical need to throw him into harm's way on the front lines. The role of Military Inspector was the perfect fit.
Princess Ingrid surely understood that logic better than anyone.
Besides...
Lord Kaito has already proven he possesses the administrative genius required of an inspector, Merida thought proudly.
He had orchestrated an utterly flawless distribution of military honors.
He had caught accounting discrepancies, preventing a diplomatic crisis with the Holy Kingdom before it could even ignite.
He possessed a sharp eye for evaluating talent, incredible attention to detail, and a command of the broader strategic picture.
Merida wanted nothing more than to place him in a position where those exceptional gifts could shine.
"It seems there are no objections," Ingrid announced, surveying the room.
Seeing unanimous silence among the generals, the princess issued her decision.
"Effective immediately, my brother Vargas Kaito will be stationed in the rear command as Military Inspector. A dedicated command tent will be pitched so he can review battle intelligence and direct operations safely. That settles the matter."
"Understood, Your Highness!" the council chorused in unison.
"Moving on to the matter of the Dragoon Knight," Ingrid continued, turning to the next item on the agenda. "As detailed in your reports, an entity designating itself as Phantom Pawn initiated contact—"
"May I be permitted to speak?" interjected Julia, raising her hand composedly.
The sudden interruption from one of the Seven Swords caused a brief murmur across the table.
"As a representative of the Holy Kingdom, there is a matter I must clarify," Julia stated.
"You have the floor, Julia Ashgate," Ingrid replied smoothly.
"Thank you for your gracious permission, Your Highness," Julia murmured, offering a polite bow.
Rising gracefully from her seat, Julia adjusted her posture before continuing.
"What I wish to inquire about is the exact nature of the connection between the Dragoon Knight and Lord Vargas Kaito."
"The connection between my brother and the Dragoon Knight?" Ingrid echoed, her brows knitting together.
"I suspect that the true identity of the Dragoon Knight is none other than Lord Vargas Kaito himself," Julia declared unflinchingly.
"That is impossible," Ingrid asserted, locking eyes with Julia.
Her gaze sharpened as she challenged the knight's assertion directly.
"When the Dragoon Knight appeared on the battlefield, my brother was inside his command tent."
"I am fully aware of those accounts, Princess," Julia conceded calmly.
"Then on what grounds do you make such an outlandish claim?"
"Because the Dragoon Knight's subordinate went out of his way to approach Lord Vargas Kaito directly," Julia pressed back.
Julia shifted her piercing gaze toward Merida.
"Just a few days ago, Lord Vargas Kaito went for a walk outside the capital. Precisely at that time, this Phantom Pawn appeared and initiated contact with him. No matter how one looks at it, the timing is far too convenient to be coincidental."
"Was it not simply because my brother happened to be outside the capital walls?" Ingrid countered coolly.
Her tone remained steady and matter-of-fact.
"Phantom Pawn needed to convey that he represented the Dragoon Knight. Naturally, he sought out someone from the capital, and my brother happened to be the one he encountered."
"That explanation is far too contrived!" Julia argued, shaking her head.
"Is not the Dragoon Knight an enigmatic existence to begin with?" Ingrid shot back effortlessly.
"Well... yes, but..." Julia faltered momentarily.
"It was the same during the previous battle," Ingrid elaborated. "The Dragoon Knight appeared out of nowhere right in the middle of combat with Demon General Panaceras. Mystery is his very nature, and his subordinate Phantom Pawn is no different. We must treat the Dragoon Knight as an unpredictable entity."
"I still cannot accept that logic!" Julia insisted firmly.
She shook her head, refusing to back down from her line of reasoning.
"Why specifically choose Lord Vargas Kaito to make contact? If the goal was simply to announce an alliance, speaking to the front-gate guards would have sufficed!"
"The explanation for that is clearly detailed in the official report," Merida interjected calmly.
She met Julia's sharp gaze without flinching.
"Phantom Pawn explicitly stated: 'I was impressed by the spirit of your fighting performance.'"
"That... doesn't explain..." Julia trailed off.
"The Dragoon Knight clearly recognized the valor shown by Lord Vargas Kaito and the Soul of Flash," Merida asserted with calm confidence. "Is it not reasonable that his subordinate approached us precisely because of that shared respect?"
"During that battle, Lord Vargas Kaito did not so much as draw a sword, did he?" Julia challenged, leaning forward.
"Lord Kaito came within an inch of losing his life to the Demon General's trap!" Merida retorted, her eyes flashing with anger.
She glared directly at Julia, unwilling to let Lord Kaito's courage be belittled.
"Lord Kaito stood firm in the face of mortal peril! If that is not true courage, then what is? It was precisely in honor of that bravery that the Dragoon Knight stepped in to save Lord Kaito's life!"
"Princess Ingrid was also fighting the Demon King's forces, was she not?" Julia pressed on.
"The Dragoon Knight was simply not present where Princess Ingrid was fighting," Merida countered dismissively.
She shut down Julia's line of questioning before the knight could pivot.
"The soldiers of the Soul of Flash fought alongside the Dragoon Knight to bring down the Demon General. A bond of camaraderie naturally forms between warriors who shed blood together."
"Ugh..." Julia gritted her teeth, momentarily speechbound.
"As a distinguished magic knight of the Holy Kingdom, Lady Julia Ashgate, surely you of all people understand the sacred bond forged on the field of battle."
"That is entirely beside the point!" Julia declared, regaining her composure.
She stood tall, addressing the entire council with solemn authority.
"As the Holy Kingdom's representative, I have a duty to monitor the military situation of the Kingdom of Mithrafil. You are all well aware of our treaty terms: in exchange for our aid, all tactical intelligence regarding the war against the Demon King must be shared transparently."
"I am fully aware of the treaty," Ingrid acknowledged in a flat, even tone.
Her voice remained calm, showing neither annoyance nor concession.
"Which is why all intelligence regarding the previous battle was turned over to you, Julia Ashgate—including casualties and tactical achievements. That satisfies our obligation."
"And what of the Dragoon Knight?" Julia demanded.
"He is not an officer of our kingdom. We have no duty to report—"
"If he should prove to be an officer of your kingdom, however, the obligation immediately applies," Julia cut in sharp.
"...What is it you are asking of us, then?" Ingrid asked, sighing slightly.
"In the upcoming campaign, permit me to remain at Lord Vargas Kaito's side," Julia requested smoothly.
She looked around the council room, offering her terms clearly.
"By observing Lord Vargas Kaito in his capacity as Military Inspector, I can verify whether he is indeed the Dragoon Knight while simultaneously evaluating the army's combat operations. That will fulfill all terms of our military assistance pact."
"Very well," Ingrid agreed. "I grant you permission to accompany my brother during the next engagement."
Her swift decision brought the intense debate to a close.
"You have my sincere gratitude, Your Highness," Julia said, placing a hand over her chest and offering a deep bow.
She sat back down, satisfied with the concession she had secured.
Merida listened to their exchange in silence, her mind racing.
We must win the next battle without relying on the power of the Dragoon Knight, she resolved inwardly. I will do everything in my power to ensure it.
She was willing to do whatever it took to protect Lord Kaito.
She could not bear the thought of disappointing him.
She desperately wanted his acknowledgment.
And above all... she could not stand the thought of him disliking her.
Waves of intense emotion welled up from the depths of her heart.
Clenching her hands into tight fists beneath the table, she maintained her seat as the meeting wound down.
Just as the strategy council was drawing to a close—
"Pardon the intrusion during council!" an urgent voice shouted from outside the doors. "I bring an emergency report! Requesting immediate entry!!"
"Granted. Enter," Ingrid commanded without hesitation.
Her commanding voice cut through the startled silence of the room.
The heavy doors burst open, revealing a palace messenger breathing heavily and drenched in cold sweat.
"A surprise raiding unit from the Demon King's army has crossed our borders!" the soldier reported, his face pale with dread. "They are led by Demon General Gaizes!! He bypassed our forward lines with an elite strike force and has already destroyed two villages!! We require immediate countermeasures!!"
The grim report sent a jolt of alarm through the assembled commanders.
—Somewhere within the Kingdom—
"Demon General Gaizes, what in the world is your objective?"
A giant, ominous black bird perched on a high branch spoke in a raspy voice.
"As Daros, familiar of His Excellency the Prime Minister of the Demon Realm, I demand an answer! Explain why you infiltrated enemy territory with so small an elite unit!"
"Mind your tongue, you pathetic little errand bird," growled a terrifying figure standing amidst the ruins.
The creature who answered was a formidable werewolf—a beastman with the head of a feral wolf.
He possessed a massive maw lined with razor-sharp fangs, jet-black fur, and razor-like claws extending from his hands.
Licking a speck of fresh blood from his claw, the werewolf turned a menacing yellow eye toward the black bird.
"A defenseless bird like you fancies himself an equal to me, Gaizes?"
"I, Daros, am an overseer appointed directly by His Excellency the Prime Minister!" the bird squawked, rattling its beak.
It clicked its long beak together indignantly.
"While Demon Generals enjoy tactical autonomy, you remain obligated to submit reports. The soldiers you command are troops of the Demon King's army, not your personal playthings."
"Pouring cold water on the victory feast... how hopelessly dull you are," Demon General Gaizes sneered.
The werewolf threw back his head and drained the goblet of wine in his hand in a single gulp.
Slamming the empty goblet onto the ground, he let out a harsh, rumbling laugh.
"Human wine has decent flavor, but it lacks kick. A goblet like this hardly warms my belly."
"Do not deflect the question, Demon General!" Daros snapped.
"I am deflecting nothing," Gaizes replied, beating his chest. "I, Gaizes, am a loyal general of the Demon Realm."
He glared back up at the massive bird with pride.
"I am Gaizes, Demon General of the Gale! I revere His Majesty the Demon King and live to expand his dominion. Ah, glorious Lord Demon King! One day, you shall conquer this entire continent and wipe every last human from existence—"
"You talk too much," Daros cut in flatly.
"A creature devoid of poetic sentiment... That is precisely why you will never be anything more than a familiar," Gaizes scoffed.
He licked the remaining drops of wine from his claws as he answered.
"Battle, hunting, slaughter, and a victory drink to cap it off. Those are the true joys of life! Gazing across the ruined battlefield and speaking whatever comes to heart... is that not the very definition of a fulfilled existence?"
From the hilltop where Gaizes stood, one could look down upon the village his forces had just overrun.
The garrison defending the village had been completely annihilated.
Gaizes had slipped across the border with a small contingent, raiding villages deep within the kingdom's territory.
"My operation has been duly authorized by His Excellency the Prime Minister himself," Gaizes stated proudly.
"Along with the requirement to report your findings," Daros reminded him.
"Does our wise Prime Minister truly require an explanation?" Gaizes sneered mockingly. "Are you implying His Excellency lacks the intellect to grasp the strategy behind a maneuver like this? How dare a mere familiar insult the Prime Minister's brilliance!"
"...Your true goal is to inflict psychological terror upon the kingdom's populace," Daros observed coldly.
In a strained, rasping voice, the familiar Daros replied.
“Before invading the kingdom, Demon General Gaizes distributed his personal banners to the troops stationed near the border,” Daros explained. “By feigning his presence at the frontier, he drew the Kingdom’s full attention to the border region.”
“Continue, familiar,” Gaizes commanded coldly.
“While they were distracted, you slipped into the kingdom from another direction,” Daros continued. “You raided villages in small numbers to prove to the kingdom’s citizens that nowhere is safe. Once panic takes root, the Kingdom’s forces will be forced to respond...”
“Heh. So you understand after all,” Gaizes smirked.
“The Kingdom’s military will be compelled to dispatch troops to the regions your forces pillaged and their surrounding areas,” the bird reasoned. “As a result, the garrison defending the border will dwindle, making it far easier for the Demon Lord’s army to wage war.”
“Precisely. We are wolves howling outside their bedroom window,” Gaizes declared.
The demon general shrugged, letting out a low chuckle as he spoke.
“We will relentlessly intimidate the kingdom’s people, ensuring they never know a restful night’s sleep. That constant terror will wear the humans down to the bone—and once they are thoroughly weakened, the Demon Lord’s army can crush them with ease.”
Below them, the village was still engulfed in roaring flames. The dark smoke billowing high into the sky served as a grim message to the villagers that they had no home to return to.
Surrounding the fires, beastmen tore ravenously into the meat of livestock plundered from the humans.
A contingent of his subordinates had gone off to hunt wild monsters, all for the purpose of corrupting the village wells.
By hurling monster carcasses down into the wells, the dark mana oozing from the corpses would seep deep into the underground water veins. The wells would become completely unusable, depriving the Kingdom’s soldiers of a clean water supply and forcing them to seek out alternative water sources.
Whether near a riverbank or beside a lake... either way, the locations where they could pitch camp would be severely restricted.
And that would make them remarkably easy targets for the Demon Lord’s army.
They could set up ambushes well in advance or execute swift surprise attacks with absolute precision.
“...You have not revealed the full extent of your scheme,” Daros observed, clicking his beak sharply.
The monstrous bird shifted its head, eyeing the demon general suspiciously.
“If your sole intention was to terrorize the humans, there would be no need for a commander of your stature to personally take the field.”
“Then tell me, familiar—what do you suppose Gaizes’ true purpose is?” the demon general challenged with a predatory grin.
“To engage the Hero in battle, is it not?” Daros replied in its raspy, grating voice.
The grotesque avian leaned forward, laying out its deduction.
“Now that the Sword Saint is wounded and the Hero is left without his primary guardian, you intend to strike him down. Am I mistaken?”
“You are mistaken,” Gaizes sneered, baring his vicious fangs. “My interest lies with the Golden Knight.”
His wicked laughter echoed over the burning ruins as his sharp teeth clicked together.
“Survivors from Panaceras’s forces reported that a Golden Knight riding a dragon suddenly appeared before him—and that it was this knight who slew Panaceras. I intend to see with my own eyes whether those reports hold truth.”
“How foolish!” Daros squawked indignantly. “If such an entity exists, your very first duty should have been reporting it to His Excellency the Prime Minister!”
“To obtain accurate intelligence, I must confront this Golden Knight myself,” Gaizes replied coolly. “You need only sit back and witness my battle.”
Demon General Gaizes fixed his piercing golden eyes upon the familiar.
“This is the grand stage for Demon General Gaizes! I shall uncover every secret this Golden Knight hides. My audience will be you, my legion, and the foolish soldiers of the Kingdom!”
“Very well,” Daros acquiesced with a slow nod. “I shall observe your actions and report everything to His Excellency—including whatever intelligence you gather on this supposed Golden Knight.”
The monstrous bird fluttered its wings slightly as it gave its consent.
“However, bear in mind that you will answer for acting on your own authority later.”
“If I am to be judged by His Majesty the Demon Lord himself, I have no complaints!” Gaizes declared triumphantly. “His piercing gaze... his divine words... Ah, just imagining it causes poetic inspiration and magical energy to well up within me!”
Looking down upon the burning village, Demon General Gaizes let out a roar of pure, unbridled exultation.
——Kaito’s Perspective——
A few days later, we set out on an expedition to subjugate the Demon Lord’s army.
Apparently, a skirmish between the Kingdom’s military and the demon forces had broken out near the border shortly before our departure.
More than a dozen enemy squads had crossed into border territory, every single one of them flying Demon General Gaizes’ flag. Naturally, the Kingdom’s generals deduced that Gaizes himself was stationed there and concentrated their troops along the frontier.
However, the enemy’s true objective was simply to draw the Kingdom’s attention toward the border.
Targeting the areas left vulnerable by the shift in troop deployment, Demon General Gaizes led an elite unit directly into the kingdom’s interior.
Gaizes was a werewolf—a terrifying blend of man and wolf—and his subordinates were all beastmen as well.
They possessed incredible speed and were exceptionally skilled at concealing their presence.
Because of that, the Kingdom’s army had been fatally slow to realize that the enemy had already slipped past them.
Once inside, the fiends unleashed havoc on villages and towns—slaughtering civilians, torching buildings, and plundering supplies.
They bellowed openly that they were issuing a challenge to the Hero and his companions.
Unable to ignore such brazen atrocities, Princess Ingrid led a vanguard unit out to meet the threat.
As for me, I was ordered to command the rear guard. On top of that, I was given the official title of Military Inspector.
Supposedly, my duty was to observe the soldiers’ performance and evaluate them. I even held direct command authority over the troops assigned to my unit.
Since the role involved a fair amount of paperwork, I was even provided with a private command tent, complete with a desk and chair.
With all the preparations settled, I boarded a carriage heading for the front lines, but...
“Vargas Lord Kaito, please rest easy and watch over us,” Merida said brightly.
“I shall remain by your side as your personal bodyguard,” Julia added smoothly.
Riding along with me inside the carriage were Merida and Julia Ashgate of the Holy Kingdom’s Seven Swords.
I could understand why Merida was here.
...But why on earth is one of the Seven Swords of the Holy Kingdom sitting right across from me?...
...Could she be investigating the Dragoon Knight?...
...Or does she suspect I’m just a body double standing in for Vargas Kaito?...
...No, obsessing over it won't get me anywhere. For now, I just need to focus on my job...
My assignments were acting as the Sword Saint’s body double and supplying purified rations.
In addition to that, I had to evaluate the soldiers’ work.
Properly fulfilling any duty I accept is my personal motto, after all.
“...Please stop the carriage,” I said, turning to Merida as we arrived before a scorched village.
I gestured toward the smoldering ruins outside.
“There’s something I need to take care of.”
“This village has been completely destroyed, Lord Kaito. There is no one left,” Merida replied hesitantly. “Our planned campsite for tonight is a bit further ahead...”
“Please.”
“Y-Yes, right away.”
The carriage ground to a halt.
This was one of the settlements torched by the Demon Lord’s army. Not a single living villager remained.
Directly in front of us stood a stone well. Protruding grotesquely from its opening were the severed legs of a monster.
“It appears the demon general crammed monster carcasses into the well,” Merida noted with a look of deep disgust.
Her expression grew bitter as she inspected the sight.
“No doubt to render the water entirely unusable.”
“By corrupting the well with dark mana?” I asked.
“Yes. That is why our camp is scheduled near the river instead of... Um, wait. Lord Kaito?”
“I’m going to purify it,” I declared.
“Wait... Surely extending a purification ability all the way down to the bottom of a deep well is impossible! Even the High Priests of the Holy Kingdom couldn’t achieve such a feat... Wh-What are you doing?!”
Ignoring her alarm, I walked up to the well and lightly touched the protruding leg of the monster carcass.
“...Holly. Can you purify the water in this well?” I whispered under my breath.
“Not a problem at all, Master!” Holly’s tiny voice chimed back from inside my clothes.
She gave a confident reassurance.
“The purification energy will channel right through the monster’s corpse. It’ll reach the absolute bottom of the well with ease!”
“I see.”
Let's do this then. Drinking water is vital on a campaign.
Naturally, humans need water to survive, but the horses need to drink too. Water is essential for cooking meals and washing up as well.
Proper meals maintain troop health, and staying clean directly prevents the spread of disease.
Securing as many clean water sources as possible is just common sense.
“In the name of the holy ones, purge all malice that harms mankind. Let pure mana cleanse all, granting blessings fit for human life...” or something like that.
Radiant particles of light began overflowing from my hand.
The light coursed down through the monster carcass toward the depths of the well... Or so I thought, when suddenly—
“...Huh?”
Brilliant beams of purification light suddenly burst out from the other wells scattered across the village as well.
Like dazzling fountains, glowing particles spewed skyward from every single well in the settlement.
“Master!” Holly squeaked.
“What happened?” I asked in panic.
“Defeating that demon general boosted your purification power!”
“A power-up?!”
“Yep! So... it ended up purifying the entire underground water vein connected to this well...”
“...You really should have told me that beforehand.”
“I’m sorry! Are you mad at me?”
“I’m not mad, but...”
I had completely misjudged the output. I was trying to keep a low profile...
“Oohhh! Light is pouring from the wells!” a knight shouted.
“That’s Vargas Lord Kaito’s divine light of purification! I’d recognize it anywhere!!” another soldier yelled in awe.
“He is bestowing his miraculous cleansing power upon us once more!”
“““UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!”””
Members of the Soul of Flash and the Kingdom’s troops broke into thunderous cheers.
Even the horses caught the excitement, stomping their hooves against the ground.
“Vargas Lord Kaito... Um...”
Merida stared at me with a completely rigid expression.
“I purified all the underground water,” I confessed, having no choice but to admit it.
I cleared my throat, trying to sound deliberate.
“I originally intended to purify only this single well, but the momentum carried over, cleansing the entire water table beneath the village and its surrounding area.”
“............Um,” Merida blinked, thoroughly stunned.
“As your Military Inspector, I strongly advise against camping near the river,” I babbled rapidly, trying to rationalize it. “Setting up camp near a river carries high risks because escape routes are limited in an ambush, and the enemy could easily use the waterway to launch a surprise strike. To prevent such a scenario, I purified the wells so we can camp here in the village instead. The open view provides excellent defense against surprise attacks. I used my purification power with that tactical goal in mind, but it seems the Sword Saint’s righteous heart amplified the magic, spreading the cleansing blessing to the entire water source...”
“I understand! I understand completely, so please don't worry!” Merida interrupted, holding up her hands.
“...I see.”
“Thank you so much, Lord Kaito. I shall immediately notify Princess Ingrid of the change to our camping location.”
The message could be delivered swiftly.
It wouldn’t take long for Ingrid’s main force to catch up with us.
“Before I ride off as messenger... there is something I must warn you about,” Merida suddenly lowered her voice.
She leaned closer, speaking in a hushed whisper.
“...Please exercise caution around Julia Ashgate. It seems she suspects you might be the Dragoon Knight.”
“...Is that so?”
“It’s utterly preposterous! How could Lord Kaito possibly be the Dragoon Knight? Princess Ingrid and I personally witnessed both you and the Dragoon Knight existing in the very same place!? Neither I nor anyone in the Soul of Flash suspects you for a single second! But Julia Ashgate is another matter...”
“I get it. Yeah, I understand.”
“You understand?” she asked, looking up relieved.
“I trust you, Merida.”
“I-Is that so? Oh, I am so glad to hear that!” she beamed brightly.
“Please take the report to my sister.”
“Understood!”
Merida mounted her horse and galloped off into the distance.
Left behind were myself, the soldiers of the Soul of Flash, the Kingdom troops...
...And Julia Ashgate.
Julia Ashgate was staring intently in my direction.
Just as Merida warned, she clearly suspected I was the Dragoon Knight.
...If I make any unnatural moves, it’ll only deepen her suspicions...
...First, stay calm. My heart is pounding like crazy, so let's take a deep breath... Okay, that didn't help at all...
...Deep breath again... One more time...
...Whoa. She’s watching me like a hawk...
...Alright. Let's move somewhere outside of Julia Ashgate’s line of sight...
Conveniently, soldiers were currently removing the monster carcass from the well. I could pitch in and help.
By ducking behind them, their bodies would naturally block Julia Ashgate’s view of me...
“Your assistance is completely unnecessary, Vargas Lord Kaito!!” a soldier barked happily as I approached.
“Please leave such menial labor to us!”
“As our Military Inspector, you need only stand tall and command!”
...It seemed my assistance was firmly rejected.
Still, I was supervising their work. It was only natural that I reposition myself where I could keep an eye on everyone.
Ah, excluding Julia Ashgate, of course.
She wasn't my subordinate, and she belonged to the Holy Kingdom anyway. Keeping tabs on her wasn't my concern.
...Come to think of it, there was a half-collapsed house nearby. If the structure caved in, someone could get hurt.
I’d better keep watch over it to ensure no accidents happened.
Ah, here it was—the house damaged during the raid. I’d stand guard right here to make sure its walls didn’t collapse.
From this spot, all the soldiers were in my field of vision, and I could monitor the building’s condition.
And purely by coincidence, it completely blocked Julia Ashgate’s line of sight. Yep. Totally a coincidence.
“...That woman is staring over here way too much,” Holly whispered from inside my tunic.
Her small voice grumbled against my chest.
“She keeps adjusting her position just so she can keep Master in view!”
“...It’s fine. It’s only for the duration of the march,” I murmured back softly.
“Once the battle is over, her bodyguard duty ends too?”
“Exactly.”
“Come to think of it, I heard the enemy forces this time are small in number!”
“Which means the fight will be over quickly. I just have to endure until then.”
“Hang in there, Master!”
For a while after that, I endured Julia Ashgate’s unrelenting gaze.
In the meantime, the work on the wells was completed, and Merida returned from her errand.
“It has been decided that we will establish our base of operations right here,” Merida reported.
She dismounted her horse swiftly as she spoke.
“Princess Ingrid’s main force will arrive shortly. We will use this village as our staging ground to scour the region for the Demon Lord’s forces.”
As long as Demon General Gaizes roamed within the kingdom, the populace would remain gripped by fear.
Therefore, the Kingdom’s forces would conduct scouting operations with this camp as their nexus.
Once they located the demon general, multiple contingents would surround his position and annihilate him.
That was the outline of the current plan.
“We are about to launch a large-scale search, but our adversary is a werewolf,” Merida noted thoughtfully. “They excel at erasing their presence. Finding and defeating them might take a considerable amount of time.”
“............I see,” I muttered, my heart sinking.
“Please rest assured, Vargas Lord Kaito! Merida will protect you with her life!”
She proudly slapped her chest in reassurance.
“Thank you.”
...A protracted campaign, huh?...
...Which means I'll be subjected to Julia Ashgate’s unwavering gaze the entire time...
“...Holly,” I whispered desperately.
“What is it, Master?”
“My mental state is hanging by a thread. We’re ending this war with everything we’ve got.”
—-
Comments
Post a Comment