I’m an Introvert Who Became the Body Double for the Unrivaled Sword Saint, But the World’s Strongest Seven Swords Prefer Me Anyway Volume 1 chapter 6

Arcadia

 

Chapter 6: The Mysterious 'Phantom Pawn' Makes Contact with Merida and Her Companions



── Julia's Perspective ──


Julia was getting ready to attend the victory celebration banquet.

The venue for the party was the royal palace's grand hall.

It was a lavish affair, attended by royalty, high nobility, and high-ranking military officers.

This is a golden opportunity to forge a close bond with Vargas Lord Kaito, Julia thought to herself.

Getting close to Vargas Kaito was no easy task.

He had struck his head when he fell from his horse after taking an arrow wound.

Because of the resulting memory confusion, access to him was strictly limited.

Even so, he was bound to attend a party of this magnitude.

I shall capitalize on this occasion and completely captivate Vargas Lord Kaito.

With that resolve in mind, Julia meticulously carried out her preparations.


When Julia entered the grand hall, a vast crowd had already gathered.

All the effort she had put into her appearance paid off immediately—nearly every eye in the room turned toward her.

After all, Julia bore the moniker of the "Beauteous Magic Swordsman."

Immaculately styled golden hair, coupled with fair skin that seemed to glow with innate light.

A crimson gown tailored specifically for an occasion like this, showcasing her long, graceful limbs.

Her full bust and captivating figure were all potent weapons in Julia's arsenal.

Virtually every man present in the hall had his gaze fixed squarely on her.

And for those few who weren't, a single seductive glance from Julia was all it took to draw their instant attention.

The people of the Mithrafil Kingdom are so delightfully easy to manipulate, she thought with a subtle smirk.

Her mood buoyed by the flattering reception, Julia surveyed her surroundings.

And there he was—Vargas Kaito.

At the far end of the hall, Ingrid was delivering the opening address, with Vargas Kaito standing right behind her.

The crowd's undivided focus was currently anchored on Ingrid.

If Julia maintained an unblinking, intent gaze solely on Vargas Kaito amidst that sea of onlookers, she was bound to stand out.

Surely, Vargas Kaito would be intrigued by the famed Beauteous Magic Swordsman.

Come now, look this way, Vargas Lord Kaito. Speak with me, and I shall extract every last drop of information from you!

Julia directed an ardent, captivating stare straight at Vargas Kaito.

She stared at him, unblinking.

She kept staring.

Staring on and on...

Continuing to pour all her passion into that silent gaze...

Wait, what!?

It had absolutely no effect.

Vargas Kaito failed to react to Julia's burning gaze in the slightest.

He simply stared off into empty space, almost as though he were afraid of locking eyes with anyone.

Ah, of course. Her Highness is currently addressing the hall. It is only natural that Vargas Lord Kaito would be fully focused on his sister's speech.

Once Ingrid finished her opening remarks, it would be Vargas Kaito's turn.

He would surely scan the banquet hall then, and that would be her moment to lock eyes with him.

I should let my eyes glisten just a bit, giving off an air of fiery passion...

Before long, the moment arrived for Vargas Kaito to speak.

He stepped forward, taking the stage ahead of Ingrid.

Julia began gliding forward to position herself right within his field of vision—

"...May victory be ours in the coming battle as well. That is all."

Scarcely a single step into her movement, Vargas Kaito concluded his address.

That was far too brief! Julia screamed internally in utter disbelief.

Leaving a bewildered Julia behind, he immediately retreated toward the rear, clearly intending to take his leave.

"Vargas Lord Kaito! As the Sword Saint, won't you grace us with a few more words!!"

Julia had raised her voice purely on instinct.

There was no room left for subtle decorum.

She needed to show how much she valued him, pique his interest, and draw him closer.

And ultimately, recruit him into the Holy Kingdom.

With those calculations racing through her mind, Julia fixed her gaze on Vargas Kaito.

And yet—

...Why is he averting his eyes from me?

Vargas Kaito had glanced in Julia's direction for no more than a fleeting fraction of a second.

"...Unity and cooperation. Together, we shall claim victory once more."

With those terse parting words, Vargas Kaito turned on his heel and exited the hall.

Julia could do nothing but watch his departing figure in stunned silence.

Could it be that Vargas Lord Kaito... has already seen through my true intentions?

He had specifically chosen the phrase "unity and cooperation."

Perhaps that was a subtle warning directed at Julia for attempting to poach the Sword Saint.

Moreover, he had almost seemed terrified of locking eyes with her a moment ago.

Of course, that had to be impossible.

Vargas Kaito was the celebrated Sword Saint who had slain countless monsters, after all.

If so... could what he truly fears be the fracturing of the alliance between neighboring nations? Is he subtly warning me that my actions risk driving a wedge into that alliance?

Julia touched her own cheek, feeling a sudden surge of heat.

She realized with a pang of embarrassment that she was blushing furiously.

How utterly foolish she must have looked. Her entire scheme had been laid bare to Vargas Kaito from the start.

Julia knew what Vargas Kaito had been like before his injury.

Back then, he was the sort who welcomed anyone with open arms, visibly delighted whenever a beautiful woman approached him.

Even so, he had maintained a strict boundary, never allowing anyone too close.

He had known his place, careful never to bring shame upon the name of the Hero Princess, Ingrid.

To be so thoroughly guarded by a man like Vargas Kaito came as a deep shock to Julia.

It seems I severely underestimated Vargas Lord Kaito...

She would have to change her approach entirely.

If she hoped to bring Vargas Kaito over to the Holy Kingdom, she needed a far more sophisticated strategy.

This is far from over. I will make you mine, no matter what it takes, Vargas Lord Kaito!

With renewed determination, Julia hardened her resolve.


── Kaito's Perspective ──


"...Man, that really freaked me out," Kaito muttered under his breath.

"...It freaked Holly out too, yes it did!" Holly squeaked in agreement.

"Why was she staring at me like that anyway?" Kaito wondered out loud.

"She was a terribly rude woman, she was!"

"That was Julia Ashgate," Kaito explained.

"One of the Seven Swords, she is!"

"Yeah. She probably..." Kaito trailed off, rubbing his chin.

"Mm-hmm! That woman almost certainly..."

"...realized I'm just a body double for the Sword Saint," Kaito said nervously.

"...has a massive crush on Master, she does!" Holly declared brightly.


"...Wait, what?" both of them blurted out in unison.


"She has a crush on me? Not that she figured out I'm the Sword Saint's double?" Kaito asked, blinking in confusion.

"Yup! That's right, it is!" Holly nodded emphatically.

"I really don't think so..."

"Is that so...?" Holly tilted her head.

"Even if she does, it's definitely for Vargas Kaito, not me."

"Well, Holly likes Master way better than him anyway!"

"Thanks," Kaito chuckled wryly.

"But still, wouldn't Master be interested in a gorgeous beauty like her?" Holly pressed curiously.

"I'm actually terrible with beauties like her. Her aura is way too overwhelming—it makes my head spin," Kaito confessed with an awkward laugh.

"Is that how it works, is it?"

"I mean, I even felt completely overwhelmed when you grew big, Holly," Kaito added casually.

"............"

"Holly?" Kaito asked, turning to look at her.

"Master says the most startling things out of nowhere sometimes, he does..." Holly muttered softly.

"I do?"

"Holly has a heart too, you know! It makes Holly's heart flutter fast, it does!"

"I'm not quite sure what I said, but... sorry," Kaito apologized, scratching his cheek.

"You don't need to apologize! More importantly, what are we going to do about that woman?" Holly asked, switching back to business.

"Good question..." Kaito murmured thoughtfully.

Julia Ashgate was one of the Seven Swords, dispatched directly from the Holy Kingdom.

To be completely honest, he wanted to stay as far away from her as humanly possible.

Still, the way she had been intensely staring at him remained a huge point of concern.

Did she suspect he was Vargas Kaito's body double? Or was she trying to pry into the secrets of the Dragoon Knight? Either way, it was terrifying.

"...I think I'll just shut myself away in the library for a while," Kaito decided with a sigh.

"That's a wonderful idea! In the library, Holly gets to talk with Master all day long, yes she does!" Holly cheered happily.

And so, Holly and I agreed to live like recluses for the time being.


── Julia's Perspective ──


"A direct approach will not work on Lord Vargas Lord Kaito. I must employ a more indirect, scheming tactic," Julia resolved softly to herself.

She cast her eyes down at the documents resting in her hands.

They were copies of financial accounting statements submitted by the Mithrafil Kingdom to the Holy Kingdom.

The Holy Kingdom provided extensive military aid to the Mithrafil Kingdom.

Specifically, this included personnel, provisions, and substantial military funds.

Because these resources were allocated explicitly to wage war against the Demon King's forces, they could not be spent freely. The Mithrafil Kingdom was legally obligated to report every expense back to the Holy Kingdom.

Lately, however, errors had been cropping up with alarming frequency in those financial records.

In all likelihood, the kingdom was so overwhelmed by the war effort that they suffered a severe shortage of administrative staff to handle paperwork.

Understanding their plight, the Holy Kingdom had refrained from making an issue of these accounting discrepancies until now.

"What a marvelous opportunity. I shall make full use of this," Julia whispered with a cold smile.

She murmured aloud, staring down at the financial statements.

"Representing the Holy Kingdom, I shall formally call out these financial irregularities. Then, I will escort the person in charge back to the Holy Kingdom to offer an explanation directly before His Majesty the Holy King."

Naturally, the target responsible for the military command was Vargas Kaito.

As a commander co-leading the army alongside the Hero Princess, he bore ultimate responsibility for the expenditure of military funds. Under that pretext, dragging him back to the Holy Kingdom would be entirely justified.

Once on her home turf in the Holy Kingdom, getting close to Vargas Kaito would be a simple task for Julia.

Seducing him, unearthing his secrets—everything would be well within her grasp.

"No matter what means I must employ, I will make you mine, Vargas Lord Kaito!" she declared, her eyes gleaming with ambition.

Julia tightly clenched her fist, her resolve set in stone.


── Kaito's Perspective ──


"Huh? What's this strange document doing here?" Kaito wondered aloud.

A sheaf of papers was tucked away in the corner of one of the library shelves.

Something about financial aid from the Holy Kingdom... Wait, are these accounting records?

This seems like an important document. I wonder why it was left in a place like this?

“Ah... It was tucked right between the weapons delivery manifests. That must be how it got mixed in...”

“Everyone must be super busy with the war against the Demon King’s army, Master!” Holly offered thoughtfully.

“You mean they don’t even have time to organize their paperwork?” I asked.

“That’s probably it!”

“Still, they’re handling these documents way too carelessly.”

...Documents like these are supposed to be important, though.

It was the exact same way back at my job in my old world.

Without records showing when computers or equipment were bought and how much they cost at the time, replacing them caused endless unnecessary hassle. Accounting held massive power at my former company. If you wanted to replace supplies, they wouldn’t even process your request unless your paperwork was immaculate and accompanied by a detailed report justifying the expense.

That was only the first hurdle.

After that, passing the paperwork up through management to get final approval took forever.

At any rate, back at my old workplace, I always made a point of keeping my files meticulously organized.

“And what’s more, these ledgers... the numbers are completely wrong,” I noted, scanning the page.

“They are?” Holly tilted her head curiously.

“The incoming funds and outgoing expenditures don’t add up at all.”

“You can tell all that from just a single glance, Master?”

“Well, I used to do system maintenance.”

“‘System maintenance’?” she repeated, blinking. “What’s that?”

“A job where letting bad numbers or discrepancies slip past leads to utter catastrophe.”

“What kind of catastrophe?”

“Everyone freezes.”

“Everyone gets hit with freeze magic?!” she gasped, her eyes wide with shock.

“Yeah, pretty much,” I replied dryly.

“Getting blasted by freeze magic over wrong numbers and discrepancies... Your old world sounds like a terrifying place, Master!”

“Man, I really want to fix these documents...”

Errors like this really bugged me. If leaving them unfixed ended up crippling the military’s operations and claiming lives, I’d hate myself for it.

Something similar happened back in my world, too.

I once spotted a system error and wanted to fix it, but hesitated. I ended up looking into who had been responsible for the original code.

Since that person was still with the company, I carefully drafted a lengthy, sugarcoated email framing it so it wouldn’t sound like I was blaming them, attached a proposed fix, and submitted the report.

I never found out how management handled it internally, but the fix was applied, and a major disaster was averted.

What about this time, though...? People might tell me to stop sticking my nose where it doesn’t belong.

Still, I just can’t let it rest.

Guess I have no choice... I’ll quietly fix it up.

If I draft a corrected set of documents and hand them off to Merida casually, she ought to handle the rest.

With my decision made, I set to work on making the corrections.


—A few hours later—


“Holed up in the archives again, I see? How many times must I remind you to eat your meals properly, Lord Vargas?” Merida chided gently as she entered.

“...Sorry,” I muttered, looking away.

“Well, at least you noticed me within fifteen minutes of my knocking this time... Huh? Are those accounting ledgers on your desk? If I am not mistaken, these relate to the aid from the Holy Kingdom.”

“They were sitting on the bookshelf,” I explained.

“Why would you be looking through financial documents, Lord Kaito?” she asked, tilting her head in wonder.

“...Please don’t misunderstand,” I blurted out anxiously.

“Pardon?”

“It’s not like I wanted to call out someone else’s mistake or anything.”

“Um... all right?”

“Because of my line of work back in my original world, minor numerical discrepancies and contradictions just naturally bother me. I wasn’t trying to criticize anyone. It’s almost like a bad habit... or a hobby. I don’t know much about how things work in this world, but money matters are critical, so I thought discrepancies ought to be pointed out—”

“I-I understand, Lord Kaito,” Merida cut in reassuringly.

“...Oh. Right.”

“Thank you very much. You have truly saved us.”

“I did?”

“Our nation receives military aid from the Holy Kingdom, and we are required to submit quarterly reports accounting for those funds,” she explained gravely. “It appears there was a major oversight in the original ledger. Had we submitted it as it was, it might have fractured the trust between our two kingdoms.”

“Is it really that serious?”

“Diplomatic relations are precarious,” she replied. “Even among allies, a single blunder can be weaponized against us. You managed to prevent such a fallout before it could even occur.”

“In that case, from now on—”

“Indeed. I shall personally instruct the administrative staff to exercise far greater caution going forward.”

“I meant, if I handle the administrative tasks in the capital—”

“Yes, I will inform them that while residing in the capital, Lord Kaito personally caught the clerical oversight.”

“You don’t need to tell them that. More importantly—”

“No. Recognizing one’s mistakes is vital for growth.”

“Is it?”

“Most certainly.”

“Then maybe I should speak to the head accountant directly—”

“Indeed. I am sure the accounting personnel are working to the best of their abilities,” Merida reasoned calmly. “However, the administrative department is overwhelmed at present, and we lack the capacity to integrate new staff into their operations. Reorganizing the chain of command or reassigning duties right now would only invite unwanted chaos.”

“...I see.”

“Forgive me for interrupting. Please, Lord Kaito, continue what you were saying: ‘To the head accountant...’?”

“............Um, just tell them...”

“Yes?”

“Tell the head accountant... that everyone makes mistakes...”

“Indeed they do.”

“Tell them... not to get too discouraged.”

“I am sure they will be deeply moved by your thoughtfulness, Lord Kaito.”

Gathering up the corrected ledgers, Merida offered a polite bow and stepped out of the archives.


—A few days later, in a corridor of the royal palace—


“Have you heard the rumors about Lord Vargas Kaito?” one civil official whispered.

“Indeed I have,” another replied. “Word is he personally discovered an accounting error made by our administrative team.”

“Ever since his injury, Lord Vargas Kaito seems to have awakened an extraordinary genius for paperwork, hasn’t he?”

“That’s right. I heard he drafted a masterclass of a report regarding the commendations and military honors as well.”

A group of civil officials from the administrative department had gathered in the palace hallway.

They had just been summoned by Chancellor Simon, who had reprimanded them for their clerical error.

They had braced themselves for severe punishment, but the chancellor had declared, “This time, the matter shall be set aside without penalty.”

Chancellor Simon was undoubtedly aware of how overburdened the administrative staff was.

With the war against the Demon King’s forces raging on, the civil officials were stretched to their absolute limits.

Procuring supply shipments, negotiating purchasing agreements, drafting transport schedules, planning the reconstruction of destroyed villages, sourcing materials for that rebuilding, securing food rations for refugees—every single duty rested on their shoulders.

With the Demon King’s army intensifying their assaults lately, the administrative workload had reached a boiling point.

That was the sole reason an error had slipped into the financial ledgers intended for their allied kingdom.

Before dismissing them, Chancellor Simon had shown the officials the ledgers corrected by Vargas Kaito.

Upon laying eyes on the documents, the officials had been left awestruck—

“Those financial ledgers were absolutely flawless. To think the Sword Saint possessed such a brilliant gift for administration...”

“This is no time to be marveling! We ought to be thoroughly ashamed of ourselves!”

“He’s right. For us administrators to burden a hero of his stature with our clerical work...”

“And what’s more, Lord Vargas Kaito specifically requested that no punishment be dealt to us!”

The civil officials let out a collective, heavy sigh of remorse.

“Lord Vargas Kaito truly is a hero through and through.”

“Indeed. Let us swear right here and now never to make such a blunder again, so we never burden our hero again!”

“Hear, hear!!” the others chorused in unanimous agreement.

“I am so deeply moved right now... I feel like declaring this vow to the world...”

As the officials murmured with faces filled with fiery resolve, they suddenly ground to a halt.


“““Wait... Is that Lord Vargas Kaito over there?!”””


Standing further down the hallway was none other than the Sword Saint, Vargas Kaito.

The civil officials rushed over in a flurry and dropped to their knees directly before him.

“““On behalf of all administrative staff, we express our deepest gratitude to you, Lord Vargas Kaito! Thank you so much for discovering our accounting error!!”””

“...Oh, that matter,” I said.

I gave them a small nod.

“Think nothing of it. Well, if you’ll excuse me—”

“You truly are a real hero, Lord Vargas Kaito!!”

My whole body jolted violently.

“We want to become real professionals just like you!!”

Jolt! Twitch, twitch!!

“We may not be heroes, but we believe we can become real civil officials!! You were the one who opened our eyes to that possibility, Lord Vargas Kaito!!”

Twitch, twitch!! Shiver, shiver!!

“We want to tell everyone that Lord Vargas Kaito is the real deal!! That as long as we have a real hero, the Mithrafil Kingdom will be safe!! That a real hero is watching over our realm!!”

Tremble, shiver, quake.

“Please continue to look after us as our real hero... Huh? Wait, Lord Vargas Kaito, where are you going?”

“...Back to my room,” I managed to choke out.

“Could it be that you are exhausted from all the paperwork?!” the official asked anxiously.

The civil officials raised their heads in unison.

“Please, rest up! Even a real hero needs proper rest! Leave the remaining work to us as we strive to become real civil officials! We will work tirelessly to become real administrators worthy of supporting a real hero like you... Ah, yes! Thank you for your hard work! Please get plenty of rest!!”

Bowing deeply, the officials reverently watched me retreat down the hallway.


—Kaito’s POV—


“Has my cover been blown?!” I cried out the moment I slammed the door to my room shut.

“Those officials kept emphasizing ‘real’ over and over again, Master!” Holly noted.

“I felt like they were interrogating me, asking ‘Are you the real deal?’ or ‘Are you the real Vargas Kaito?!’”

“But they seemed genuinely thankful to you, too!”

“That’s only because on the surface, I’m supposed to be Vargas Kaito.”

“Hmm?”

“Since they couldn’t openly accuse the Sword Saint, repeating ‘real’ might have been their subtle way of putting pressure on me.”

“To pressure you?”

“Could be.”

Did I go too far?

Maybe I should have just left those financial documents alone.

But... it bothered me, so I couldn’t help it.

Besides, I’d heard that Vargas Kaito was supposed to be skilled at paperwork.

A man like him would never have let an accounting blunder pass by unnoticed.

If so... then what about me felt so off to those officials?

“Was it because... I looked satisfied with myself after fixing a minor mistake?” I pondered aloud.

The real Vargas Kaito probably would have processed those documents with far greater perfection.

That must be why the officials felt something was off about me.

They were probably thinking, “Being content with a basic fix like this doesn’t sound like Vargas Kaito at all.”

“Guess I have no choice. I’ll audit every single financial document in the archives from top to bottom.”

I declared my decision with firm resolve.

“There might be other mistakes that were overlooked after Vargas Kaito passed away. If I find and fix all of them, I bet whatever doubts those officials have will disappear.”

“Understood! Holly will cheer you on all the way!”

And so, I headed back to the archives, determined to check every remaining document.


—Julia’s POV—


“The financial ledgers have all been corrected?!” Julia exclaimed, staring in shock.

Julia stood frozen in stunned disbelief.

Impossible...

It was only yesterday that Julia had decided to exploit the errors in the accounting documents.

Her plan had been to request a meeting with the head of administration and point out the discrepancies herself.

Under the pretext of offering an explanation for the oversight, she intended to summon Vargas Kaito to the Holy Kingdom.

Yet, before she could even ask for an audience, an administrative official had arrived at her quarters to offer an apology. He had admitted to the errors, handed her the updated ledgers with corrected figures, and announced that he himself had been appointed to travel to the Holy Kingdom to deliver the official explanation.

She had been completely outmaneuvered.

The official had explicitly stated, “It was Lord Vargas Kaito who corrected these documents.”

I can hardly believe it... Did he catch onto my true intentions?

“Should I interpret his sudden correction of the documents... as a warning that he has seen right through my scheme?” she murmured to herself.

As expected, Vargas Kaito is a formidable adversary.

He thoroughly dismantles every single plot I devise.

“It cannot be helped. I shall back off from Lord Vargas Kaito for the time being,” Julia declared, steeling her resolve.

Julia made up her mind.

Her overarching goal was to prevent the Mithrafil Kingdom from amassing excessive power.

To achieve that—

“First, I must uncover the true identity of the Dragoon Knight.”

The Dragoon Knight may very well appear in the next battle.

Once that moment arrives, I shall uncover their true identity.

If the Divine Dragoon Knight truly turns out to be Vargas Kaito... holding that secret over him might allow us to draw him over to the Holy Kingdom's side.

Julia paused mid-thought, tilting her head in quiet confusion.

“How strange,” Julia murmured to herself. “I seem to be... thinking of nothing but Lord Vargas Kaito...”

She had intended to ponder the mysteries of the Divine Dragon Knight, yet it was Kaito's face that repeatedly filled her mind.

It hadn't been like this before.

As one of the Seven Swords, Julia's attention should have been fixed firmly on Princess Ingrid, the Hero.

Back then, she had viewed Vargas Kaito as nothing more than 'Ingrid's elder brother'...

“...Whatever has come over me?”

Julia Ashgate let the quiet whisper escape her lips, unable to answer her own question.


—Kaito's Perspective—


“Holly, how are you holding up? I'm doing well enough myself. I've mostly gotten used to this world, though I still feel on edge anywhere outside the archives and my private room.”

“...Master,” Holly replied.

“I'm really grateful to you, Holly. Having someone who knows my situation and is willing to listen to me means a lot. If you weren't here, I think I'd be incredibly stressed out. Thank you.”

“Holly is super grateful to Master too!” she chimed in cheerfully.

“I'll be relying on you from here on out.”

“Likewise! But, um, Master...”

“Is something wrong?”

“Why are you talking to Holly through the Phantom Pawn?”

“Practice.”

The Phantom Pawn spoke the word from beneath its full-face helmet.

Right now, I was in my usual spot inside the archives.

The room was surprisingly spacious—large enough to comfortably fit both the Divine Dragon Knight and his golden dragon mount. That made it the perfect space for testing out my abilities.

As part of those tests, I had summoned a Phantom Pawn.

The Phantom Pawn possessed two distinct forms.

The first was an exact duplicate of myself—'Kaito Mode.'

The second was an armored soldier clad in shining golden plate—'Soldier Mode.'

Although Soldier Mode had a featureless face with no eyes, nose, or mouth, it was still capable of speech.

It could speak whatever I instructed it to... or rather, whatever words I formed in my head.

“Its voice sounds different compared to when it's in duplicate mode,” I noted through the Pawn.

“Back then, it sounded exactly like Master!” Holly nodded.

“Is it because Soldier Mode doesn't have a mouth?”

“Yup! Right now, it's vibrating its body using mana to produce sound. Which brings Holly back to her original question!”

“Hmm?”

“Why exactly are you speaking to Holly through the Phantom Pawn?”

“I figured I'd use it to practice talking to people.”

“Practice talking to people?” Holly blinked.

“I'm terrible at social interaction, but I thought maybe I could converse a bit smoother if I speak through the Phantom Pawn.”

“Really?”

“Because that way, I don't have to make eye contact.”

“Ah, that makes total sense!” Holly squeaked in realization.

“So, do you think it's working?”

“Honestly, Master doesn't sound much different from usual.”

“I feel like I'm managing to speak for at least 10 seconds longer than normal, though...”

“That might be true, but there's a fatal flaw in this plan!”

“A flaw?”

“If a Phantom Pawn suddenly starts talking to someone out of nowhere, everybody is gonna get terrified!”

“...Good point.”

“Which means Holly would end up being your only practice partner. That completely defeats the purpose!”

“............”

“You should just try practicing with actual people!”

“..............O-Oh, right! I just remembered I have some research to do!”

“You totally just changed the subject! Master, you're trying to dodge the things you hate doing again!”

“Deactivate.”

With that command, I dispelled the armor, returning from the Divine Dragon Knight back to plain old Kirisame Kaito.

“Research is extremely important. Gathering knowledge about this world is vital. In fact, it's essential if I ever want to speak to people properly. Therefore, I must read. Goodbye.”

“You're talking super fast! Master, you really, really hate the idea of talking to other people, don't you...” Holly sighed.

“Now then, the materials I planned on going through today were... let's see...”


A map of the royal capital. History books. Records of battles against the Demon Lord's army. A comprehensive map of the entire Kingdom of Mithrafil.

Out of all of these, the highest priority had to be...

“I should commit the maps to memory first,” I muttered to myself.

I unrolled the map across the desk.

While it was fairly rudimentary compared to maps back in my modern world, having any map at all was a massive help.

Without an understanding of the local geography, I wouldn't be able to make any strategic moves.

“Here is Mithrafil's royal capital. This is the main highway... and heading north leads toward the Holy Kingdom, huh?”

“Master? Are maps really that interesting?” Holly asked, tilting her head.

“............Yeah.”

“That was such a half-hearted answer!”

“..............Yeah. Pretty much.”

“He's totally locked in. Okay, Holly will stay quiet for a bit...” she whispered to herself.

Studying maps was genuinely fun for me.

Even back in my former world when I played games, memorizing maps had been one of my favorite aspects.

Terrain always offered distinct tactical advantages and disadvantages.

—Locations easily spotted by enemy eyes versus blind spots.

—Zones where a unit could halt briefly versus death traps you shouldn't approach under any circumstances.

—Chokepoints that required rapid movement while maintaining maximum vigilance.

To secure victory in a game, analyzing those factors was second nature.

Well, it wasn't like I'd ever actually command a troop division in this world, anyway.

Still, the capital of the Mithrafil Kingdom possessed an odd structural layout. It formed a strangely distorted polygon... Ah, I see.

The outer walls had been constructed along the perimeters of several pre-existing towers scattered around the city.

The site where I had been summoned was one of those towers as well. Their placement likely held some deep magical significance.

Could it be that the towers were built long before the city itself?

If so, that would explain the winding, irregular shape of the capital's defense walls. However, that design left behind fatal vulnerabilities.

For instance... if an enemy stationed a battalion in the forest southwest of the capital, the guard towers would struggle to spot them.

If the Demon Lord's army staged there... Wait, what was the patrol schedule for the guards again?

Ah... here's the document. Hmm. I see, I see.

..............Huh. They've actually put a fair amount of thought into this.

If I were laying siege to the capital, I'd first draw their forces toward the northern gate...

............No, that wouldn't work. That's too hasty.

..............In that case, a slow, methodical approach...

........................Would this work? No, there's still a flaw. In that case...



“Master! You really need to eat something soon! Master!!”

“............Huh?!”

Holly's sharp shout snapped me back to reality.

Huh? Now that she mentioned it... my stomach was growling, and my throat was parched.

Merida had left me a flask of tea earlier... Oh, it had gone completely cold.

Strange. It had been piping hot when she brought it to me.

“...Cough”

“Here! Drink your tea! You push yourself way too hard, Master!!” Holly scolded, handing it over.

“Sorry,” I apologized softly.

“What were you thinking about so intensely anyway?” she asked.

“Oh. I was examining the map and noticed a weak point.”

“There's a weak point in the capital?”

“Well, less of a weak point and more of a blind spot. A location where it's hard to notice approaching enemies.”

“Ah, Holly sees!”

“Look at this map. The blind spot is around the forest to the southwest. If the Demon Lord's army laid an ambush there, the capital wouldn't spot them. If they wanted to breach the city, they'd attack the north gate first to draw the kingdom's defenses there. Once the guards rallied at the north, a light infantry squad launched from the forest could scale the walls unchecked, open the gates from inside, and let the main force storm the capital to spark total panic. If Demon Generals or shapeshifting demons slipped in with them, recovery would be mathematically impossible—”

“Wait, wait, wait, Master! Stop!” Holly squeaked frantically.

“............Ah.”

...I had rambled on way too much.

Holly had tumbled onto her backside on the desk, looking thoroughly stunned.

My bad habit of talking at high speed whenever I got overly focused was as bad as ever...

“...I guess I let my guard down because it was just you, Holly,” I muttered, scratching my cheek.

“You're allowed to let your guard down! In fact, Holly wants you to be your true self around her!” she insisted earnestly.

“But you were startled.”

“The only reason Holly was surprised is because Master looked like he was having so much fun!”

“...Huh?”

“While you were explaining it to Holly, you looked so excited! It's the very first time Holly has ever seen Master looking that happy, so it caught her off guard...”

“...Was I really looking that happy?”

“Yup!”

“............Ugh.”

It was one thing in a video game, but gleefully planning how to conquer a real-life capital city was seriously disturbing.

...That practically made me look like a total villain.

“W-Waah! Master! You don't have to get that depressed about it!”

Fluttering onto my shoulder, Holly began frantically patting my cheek.

“Please don't slump against the wall with your head down like that! It's making Holly feel super guilty!”

“...I'm fine. More importantly, I need to inform someone about the capital's flaw.”

“You could just tell Princess Ingrid or Merida!” Holly suggested.

“I'm... terrible at speaking to people.”

“Ah...” Holly winced slightly.

“I have 100% confidence I'd mess up the explanation.”

I was pointing out a vital security flaw in the royal capital, after all. I had to handle it with extreme caution.

The last thing I needed was for them to suspect I was plotting to overthrow the kingdom.

“I'll use a Phantom Pawn for this.”

“A Phantom Pawn?”

“I'll have the Phantom Pawn point out the flaw. At the same time, it'll desensitize everyone so they won't be frightened by Phantom Pawns in the future.”

“That sounds super complicated!?” Holly gasped.

“How about this plan?”

I laid out my strategy to Holly.


—A Few Hours Later—


“I would like to take a walk through the royal capital.”

“That is so sudden!?” Merida exclaimed.

I had voiced my request to Merida when she arrived with my lunch.

Naturally, she looked completely taken aback.

My asking to go out into the city was probably the last thing she had expected to hear.

“If that is your wish, Lord Kaito, I shall make the arrangements. But... why so suddenly?” she asked, tilting her head.

“I want to see how the city looks.”

“The city's condition...?”

“I only know about the royal palace and the border village. I want to learn how ordinary people live their daily lives.”

“You wish to observe the lives of the common folk?”

“I'll wear a disguise to avoid drawing attention.”

“That is quite understandable. If the townspeople were to see the Sword Saint walking among them, it would cause quite a commotion.”

“Can I just go for a brief stroll?”

“'A brief stroll' without proper security is out of the question,” Merida chided firmly.

Fixing me with a stern gaze, she added,

“If you are going out, both I and members of the 'Soul of Flash' Squad will accompany you as bodyguards. Is that understood?”

“...Understood,” I nodded.

Her reaction had been completely within my expectations.

After all, this operation wouldn't work unless Merida came along.

“I'll leave the guards in your hands then.”

“It will take some time to make the preparations. Would you mind departing tomorrow instead?”

“That's fine. Also... suspicious individuals might show up during our inspection.”

“Suspicious individuals?”

“It would probably be best not to include overly aggressive guards.”

“Just what do you intend to do in town, Lord Kaito?” Merida asked, squinting suspiciously.

“Just an inspection.”

“R-Right, of course... Very well...” she sighed softly.

And thus, it was decided that I would be taking a walk through the royal capital alongside Merida tomorrow.


The following afternoon, I headed out to inspect the royal capital.

Escorting me were Merida and Emil from Flash Soul.

All three of us had pulled our hoods low to conceal our faces.

Sunlight in the Kingdom of Mithrafil grew intense in the afternoon, prompting many locals to wear hoods to shield themselves from the heat. Thanks to that local custom, we didn't stand out in the slightest.

A bustling market was set up along the main thoroughfare. Pedestrian traffic died down during the afternoon, making it the perfect time to look around.

The stalls mostly sold food, ranging from baked goods to fresh fruits.

Some vendors were hawking sausages, while others grilled savory skewers of meat.

Up ahead, a particularly large crowd had gathered around one stall.

Passersby were talking among themselves, murmuring about the unusual dish being offered there.

The vendor out front was shouting at the top of his lungs to draw in customers. "You're missing out if you don't try it! Who wants the newest monster delicacy, found nowhere else? Approved by the great Lord Vargas Kaito himself!" ...Or so he claimed.

...Wait, huh?

"Merida," I whispered, turning to my guard. "Apparently, they're selling monster meat...?"

"No," Merida replied softly, squinting toward the stand. "That appears to be... ordinary meat."

She kept her eyes fixed on the stall, her brow furrowing slightly.

"It seems to be a shop taking advantage of Lord Kaito's popularity. Completely unacceptable," Merida declared coldly. "Emil, contact the castle guards at once."

"Understood!" Emil answered with a crisp salute.

"We shall regroup with you later," Merida continued. "Our meeting spot will be..."

"Over there," I interjected, gesturing down the street.

I pointed toward the far end of the main thoroughfare.

"The south gate of the royal capital. We'll wait for you there after we finish browsing the market."

"Ah, yes. That sounds like a sound plan," Merida agreed with a nod.

"Got it! I'll be back in a flash!!" Emil shouted, turning on his heel.

With that, Emil dashed off toward the royal castle.

Merida and I resumed our casual stroll through the city.

Walking through an unfamiliar town always brought a quiet thrill of excitement.

It felt like there was a wealth of information waiting to be gathered here.

—The everyday attire of the people in this world.

—The going rates for food and the general cost of living.

—Which areas were crowded and which were secluded.

None of these were things I could learn from books alone.

Is this shop... dealing in weapons and armor?

Having a weapons shop right on the main avenue really gave it that fantasy world feel.

Since monsters exist in this world, weapons and armor are probably daily necessities for survival.

Huh? Are they smithing back in the rear of the shop? A burly man was swinging a heavy hammer right in front of a roaring forge.

The metallic ringing of iron being beaten echoed all the way out into the street.

"Whoa..." I murmured in awe.

I wonder if the weapons the soldiers use are forged like that, too.

Looking closely at the shop's sign, I noticed it read "Sales & Repairs."

That makes sense. Selling a weapon isn't a one-and-done deal.

Battling monsters damages armor, and swords are bound to get chipped or dulled.

Since weapons are expensive, replacing them easily isn't an option... Wait, how much do they actually cost?

There were no prices listed on display.

I had seen procurement ledgers for weapons back in the castle archives, but those were bulk purchasing records.

Buying weapons individually would naturally come with a completely different price tag.

Ah... right, the price could also vary depending on the craftsman who made it.

This world sure runs deep...

"Um, Lord Kaito?" Merida spoke up softly.

The adjacent shop seemed to sell furniture.

Looking at the items on display... I see. Those are floor samples.

Homes in this world didn't follow standardized dimensions. That meant furniture sizes varied from house to house, making every piece essentially custom-made...

Oh, someone's working inside. Shaving wood... Incredible, they were using magic for crafting.

The wood shifted shape in the blink of an eye. Yet, for intricate details, the artisan switched back to manual tools.

Is fine adjustment impossible with magic?

If that's the difference between manual labor and magic... then magic's weakness must be...

"Lord Kaito, Lord Kaito!" Merida called out, tugging gently on my sleeve.

The shop next door dealt in textiles. Come to think of it, there was a massive carpet in my room at the royal palace.

Since buildings here were primarily stone structures, carpets were necessary to block the chill rising from the floors...

"Watch out! You're going to bump into pedestrians, so please look where you're walking!" Merida chided in concern.

"Huh?" I blinked, snapping out of my trance.

Before I knew it, Merida was clinging tightly to my arm.

Her reddish eyes stared up at me intently.

"You scared me..." she murmured. "You were so completely engrossed."

"Sorry..." I offered sheepishly.

I had gotten so distracted that I temporarily forgot about Merida.

Exploring the shops of a fantasy world was just far too fascinating.

Watching blacksmiths forge weapons, artisans shape timber... I could stand there watching them all day.

"Standing around in front of storefronts will draw unwanted attention," Merida advised gently.

She looked up at me with a mild frown of reproach.

"Lord Kaito... May I hold your hand?" she asked, her voice softening.

"Hold hands?" I repeated, caught off guard.

"So we don't get separated in the crowd," she explained reasonably.

"I mean, even without holding hands... it's not like I'm going to wander off..." I began to demur.

"Pardon?" Merida blinked, tilting her head.

"...Never mind. Sure, holding hands is fine," I surrendered with a sigh.

I extended my hand toward her.

Merida wrapped her slender fingers securely around mine.

"...It looks like a date," a tiny voice murmured from my wrist.

Suddenly, a voice spoke from the bracelet on my arm.

Holly whispered from the wrist opposite the one Merida was holding.

This isn't a date, I thought back. If anything, it felt like a guardian escorting a lost child.

I was constantly relying on Merida's help for everything.

I intended to slip away and vanish eventually, but before doing so, I wanted to properly repay my debt to her.

"If you are interested in the local culture, how about trying some shopping yourself?" Merida suggested, pointing toward a street vendor.

She gestured toward one of the food stalls lined along the street.

"It is right around the time one gets a little hungry. Why not buy some fruit or baked goods?"

"...That might be fun," I agreed, intrigued.

"Allow me to give you some coin, then," Merida offered warmly.

She pulled a small leather pouch from inside her cloak.

Counting out a few silver and copper coins, she placed them into my hand.

"This will be more than enough. However, please do not forget to haggle," she reminded me.

"Haggle?" I echoed.

"When purchasing goods at an open market, failing to haggle makes one look suspicious," she explained.

"...I see," I nodded thoughtfully.

Back in my original world, bargaining was standard practice in overseas street markets as well.

This world clearly operated under a similar unwritten rule.

To ensure I didn't mess this up, I ran a quick mental simulation first.

My target would be the fruit stand.

Fresh produce didn't keep long, so the vendor would be eager to offload inventory quickly. It was the ideal battleground for haggling.

Let's see... the fruit sitting in the corner of that stall has bruises on it.

I would pick one up, highlight the flaw, and propose buying a mix of bruised and unblemished fruit together. Then, demand a discount.

The merchant gets to clear out damaged stock, and I get a bargain on fruit.

A perfect win-win arrangement. Alright, let me execute the plan.

I decided to approach from the right side of the stall, where most of the bruised fruits were clustered.

The vendor's eyes would naturally track my movement, drawing his attention straight to the damaged stock.

At that precise moment, I would point out the defects and open negotiations.

"...I'll give it a shot," I declared, resolved.

"Very good. Right this way, Lord Kaito," Merida encouraged gently.

With Merida by my side, I closed in on the fruit stall.

Approaching strictly from the right, just as planned.

Picking up a bruised piece of fruit, I inspected it intently.

Then, turning my face toward the vendor—since making actual eye contact under my hood was tricky—I spoke up.

"These fruits..." I began.

"Ah, those are riesh fruit! Ours are as fresh as they get!!" the vendor boomed enthusiastically.

"Right. So about these riesh fruits—" I tried to negotiate.

"Five copper coins apiece! Picked fresh just this morning, top quality! Juicy and sweet, perfect for a snack! What do ya say!?" the seller blurted out before I could finish.

"Yeah... but these ones here—" I pressed on.

"Delicious, my absolute pride and joy!! Our riesh fruit are famous for their sweetness! Not a single bad one in the lot! Why not sample one!? Here, I'll peel it for ya right now!!" he talked right over me.

"...Ah, okay," I stammered, overwhelmed by his high-pressure sales pitch.

"Well, how is it!? Delicious, right!! Look at your face, that's the face of pure delight!! Five coppers each, but if you buy five together, I'll let you have 'em for just 22 coppers!! What do ya say, young man!! How about it!?"

"...Er, well," I muttered weakly.

Completely railroaded by his tempo, I ended up pulling out my copper coins.

"Then, five for 22 coppers..." I offered, handing the money over.

"The market price for riesh fruit is three coppers each," Merida cut in smoothly, catching my hand. "That makes 15 coppers for five... And considering you handed him damaged ones, wouldn't 12 coppers be a much fairer price?"

Gently restraining my hand, Merida handed the shopkeeper twelve copper coins instead.

"Right you are! Pleasure doing business with ya!" the merchant grinned cheerfully, handing over the bag of fruit without missing a beat.

He flashed a bright smile as he passed the riesh fruit into our hands.

"Thanks a bunch! Come again soon!" he called out after us.

"Ah, right..." I squeaked out.

"Pardon us," Merida bade farewell gracefully.

With that, Merida and I turned and walked away from the stand.


"Thanks, Merida," I offered sheepishly once we were out of earshot.

"Think nothing of it," she replied with a gentle giggle.

"Bargaining... was much harder than I expected," I admitted.

"It was your very first time, so that is only natural," she comforted me cheerfully.

She offered a warm, comforting smile.

"Now then, shall we continue our tour?" she asked.

From there, Merida guided me through various interesting spots across the city.

She showed me the Adventurers' Guild, where brave souls who fought monsters gathered.

She pointed out signless, discreet restaurants frequented secretly by nobles and wealthy patrons.

Noticing my earlier interest in smithing, she took me down an artisan street lined with bustling workshops.

True to my request, she deliberately picked quiet routes with sparse crowds.

...Merida really was a wonderful person.

Which, frankly, posed a real problem for me.

My plan was to eventually locate the Archmage's mansion and shut myself away from the world.

I needed to repay everything I owed Merida before vanishing, yet my debt to her kept piling up higher and higher.

Alright. As a step toward clearing that balance, I'll execute the plan today.

Using the Phantom Pawn, I would convey vital intelligence to bolster the capital's defenses.


"Thank you for waiting, Lord Vargas, Lady Merida!" Emil called out as he hurried over to us at the south gate.

We had just arrived at the royal capital's southern gate when Emil caught up to us.

"I have a report!" Emil announced eagerly. "As expected, the meat sold at that stall was not monster meat at all. The guards have taken the vendor into custody, so the military police will handle the rest."

"...Thank you," I said, offering a subtle nod.

"Good work, Emil," Merida commended.

"I cannot forgive anyone who dares to falsely invoke Lord Vargas's name!" Emil declared fiercely.

He clenched his fist tightly in righteous indignation.

"The only person capable of purifying monster meat is our revered Lord Vargas! True monster cuisine can only be partaken under Lord Vargas's gracious supervision! Eating the meat purified by Lord Vargas is the proudest privilege of our soldiers! Ah, grand and noble Lord Vargas... Please watch over us forever and—"

"That is quite enough, Emil," Merida cut him off sharply.

"Y-Yes, ma'am... Wait, huh? Lord Vargas, why are you hiding behind that tree?" Emil blinked in confusion.

"Because we're incognito," I muttered, peering out from behind the trunk.

"Pardon?" Emil blinked.

"It's better not to go throwing around the name of the Sword Saint out in public..." I whispered.

"Rest assured! I have already informed the guards at the south gate about our visit today," Emil thumped his chest proudly.

He struck his chest with complete confidence.

"Just look! The guards posted at the gate, as well as the soldiers atop the defensive walls, are all casting passionate gazes of adoration toward Lord Vargas... Wait, huh? Why are you backing away? Didn't you say you wanted to take a look outside the royal capital?" Emil babbled on.

"Emil," Merida called out, her voice dangerously quiet.

"Y-Yes, Lady Merida!" Emil stiffened at once.

"Instruct the guards to refrain from staring over here so blatantly," she ordered.

"Right away!" Emil saluted and scrambled off toward the sentries.

He sprinted back to the line of guards.

Leaning in, he quickly whispered Merida's orders into their ears.

"Understood!! Lord Vargas Kaito!!"

Just then, letting out a sudden war cry, the soldiers atop the ramparts turned toward a completely different direction.

...Alright, perfect. That helps a lot.

I feel a weird amount of pressure from them, but oh well.

“Shall we proceed, Lord Kaito?” Merida suggested.

“Beyond this point lies outside the ramparts,” Emil added. “Please be sure to stay close to us.”

With that, we finally set foot outside the royal capital.


Beyond the gates stretched a vast expanse of green grassland.

A main highway extended southward from the royal capital, bordered on both sides by farmland.

Perhaps to protect the fields, small guard outposts were dotted here and there.

Merida, Emil, and I began walking along the perimeter of the outer wall.

A stroll along the ramparts from the South Gate to the West Gate—that was the final leg of our royal capital inspection tour.

“...Alright,” I muttered under my breath.

Halfway between the South Gate and the West Gate, I brought my steps to a halt.

We were far enough from the guards at the South Gate, and there was still a decent distance to the West Gate guards.

This was the spot least exposed to outside eyes.

“Merida. Emil.”

I addressed the two of them.

“I see a figure standing over around there.”

“A figure?” Merida asked, blinking in surprise.

“...I don't see anything, though,” Emil said, squinting.

“Look closely,” I instructed.

I pointed off toward the north.

The moment Merida and Emil turned their attention that way, I activated my skill.

“Whoa! What on earth are you?!” I called out in a deliberate, startled voice.

I let out an exaggeratedly shocked shout.

Merida and Emil were both fixated on the direction I had pointed.

Meanwhile, in a completely different direction—to the southwest—a soldier clad in golden armor had materialized.

“Where did you even come from?! Boy, you sure surprised me!” I shouted dramatically.

“Lord Kaito!?” Merida gasped.

“Lord Vargas!?” Emil cried out.

Merida and Emil immediately stepped in front of me to shield me.

The soldier clad in golden armor carried no weapons.

Even so, Merida readied her staff while Emil drew his sword.

‘...I bear no hostility toward you,’

the soldier in golden armor—the ‘Phantom Pawn’—declared.

‘I will not attack. I only wish to speak.’

“As if we could trust a word of that!” Merida snapped back defensively.

“I will protect Lord Vargas!!” Emil declared resolutely.

‘What do you say, Vargas Kaito?’

The ‘Phantom Pawn’ turned its focus toward me.

I took a deep breath before speaking up.

“Let us hear what he has to say,” I said.

“Lord Kaito!?” “Lord Vargas!?” both of them gasped at once.

“Then allow me to ask: Who are you?”

Cutting off their protests, I posed the question directly to the ‘Phantom Pawn’.

‘I am a subordinate of the Dragoon Knight. My name is Phantom Pawn.’

“So you are a subordinate of the Dragoon Knight, and your name is Phantom Pawn?” I repeated.

‘That is correct.’

“Is that so~” I said flatly.

‘The Phantom Pawn is an ally to you all.’

“So you are our ally~” I echoed.

‘Indeed.’

“And that is why you carry no weapons?” I asked.

‘Precisely.’

“I see...” I murmured.

Man, playing a double role like this is exhausting.

Of course, the one controlling the ‘Phantom Pawn’ is me.

I summoned it using my skill, conducting this whole dialogue while telepathically relaying instructions in my head.

My sole objective right now is to establish to Merida and Emil that the ‘Phantom Pawn’ is an ally.

The ‘Phantom Pawn’ is supposed to be an escort unit for the Dragoon Knight, but there’s no way Merida and the others would know that offhand.

If I summon a ‘Phantom Pawn’ mid-battle and the 'Soul of Flash' attacks it by mistake... that would be a complete nightmare. That’s why I had to introduce them beforehand.

As for Merida and Emil... yep. They’re standing down from their combat postures.

It seems both of them have understood that the figure before us is on our side.

Though the way they keep darting their eyes back and forth between me and the ‘Phantom Pawn’ is a little concerning...

“Would it be alright if I spoke with him a little more?”

I turned to ask Merida.

Merida nodded vigorously, her head bobbing up and down.

“Yes! Not a problem at all! Merida understands perfectly well now!” she insisted.

“This soldier is not an enemy,” I said.

“Yes! He is not an enemy, right!?” she chimed in enthusiastically.

“He is a subordinate of the Dragoon Knight, and an ally to us.”

“Yes!! He is indeed an ally!!”

“Meeting him here was purely a coincidence.”

“Purely a coincidence!! If anyone dares suggest otherwise, Merida will make them realize the truth!!”

“Thank you. Emil, what about you...?” I asked.

When I addressed him, Emil snapped into a stiff, perfectly upright posture.

“I have sworn my utmost loyalty to Lord Vargas! Whatever Lord Vargas says, I will believe without hesitation!!”

“I appreciate that,” I replied.

“So this soldier’s words are effectively Lord Vargas’s own words, correct!?” Emil asked excitedly.

“Huh?” I blurted out.

“I misspoke! I meant that this soldier’s words are the words of an ally of Lord Vargas, correct!?” Emil quickly corrected himself.

“Something like that. So let us hear him out,” I said.

Merida and Emil turned in unison to face the ‘Phantom Pawn’.

“What exactly is your objective here?”

I resumed the dialogue.

“Why did you show up in a place like this?”

‘To convey to you all that I am an escort soldier of the Dragoon Knight.’

“An escort unit... Meaning you may fight alongside him at times?” I asked.

‘That is correct. Do not attack me by mistake.’

“So we simply need to take care not to mistakenly target you?”

‘Indeed.’

“What kind of role do you play on the battlefield?”

‘I fight alongside the Dragoon Knight. I also act as a messenger.’

“Is that to help coordinate actions with the Kingdom's forces?”

‘Precisely. That is the wish of the Dragoon Knight.’

“So you will be relaying tactical information to us then.”

‘Yes. That was what I wished to clarify beforehand.’

“So that is how it stands,” I summarized.

I glanced toward Merida and Emil.

“This soldier is an envoy of the Dragoon Knight, and an ally to us.”

““Understood!!”” they replied in unison.

“Rather than acknowledging me, shouldn't you be telling that to the ‘Phantom Pawn’?” I pointed out.

““Ah, right! Understood!!”” they hastily amended together.

Thank goodness. Looks like both of them got the message.

Both Merida and Emil are great people. I really don't want to see them get hurt in combat.

That’s precisely why I decided to utilize the ‘Phantom Pawn’ as a messenger relay.

Through the ‘Phantom Pawn’, I can relay my intentions directly to Merida and the 'Soul of Flash'. We can share intelligence, coordinate effectively in battle, and keep everyone from getting injured.

Even things that are awkward or difficult for me to say personally can easily be passed along through the ‘Phantom Pawn’.

‘There is one piece of advice I wish to offer,’

the ‘Phantom Pawn’ spoke up once more.

‘To the southwest of the royal capital lies a dense forest.’

“Ah, yes. There is one,” I agreed.

The ‘Phantom Pawn’ and I both pointed toward the southwest at the exact same moment.

‘This Phantom Pawn materialized after emerging from that direction.’

“I hadn't noticed,” I remarked.

‘Forests make ideal concealment for troops. While allies may use it, enemy forces could just as easily lurk within.’

“That sounds dangerous,” I noted.

‘You risk falling victim to a surprise attack, so taking countermeasures would be wise. This is also advice from the Dragoon Knight.’

“I see...”

I turned my eyes toward Merida.

“Perhaps it would be best to clear out that forest to the southwest...” I suggested.

“Y-Yes. However, that area is designated as a hunting ground for the royal family. We cannot clear it without official permission...” Merida explained hesitantly.

“A member of the royal family.”

I pointed a finger straight at my own chest.

Vargas Kaito might be an illegitimate child, but he's still a prince. There's no doubt he counts as royal lineage.

“The Hero leading the fight against the Demon King's Army is also a princess,” I added.

“That is true...” Merida conceded softly.

“I would like you to speak with Princess Ingrid about this,” I requested.

“Understood! Since it is your wish, Lord Kaito, Merida will give it her absolute all!” she assured eagerly.

“Remember to emphasize that the advice came from the Dragoon Knight and the ‘Phantom Pawn’.”

“Yes! Merida understands completely!”

“Emil, does that work for you as well?” I asked.

“Understood on my end as well! I will frame it as tactical advice from the Dragoon Knight and inform everyone!” Emil replied enthusiastically.

With that, our plan was settled.

Lastly, time to tie up loose ends to keep the story consistent.

“Come to think of it, why did the ‘Phantom Pawn’ approach me specifically?”

I addressed the golden warrior once more.

‘The Dragoon Knight was deeply impressed by the valiant mages and soldiers fighting against the Demon King's Army.’

“Does he place his trust in us then?” I inquired.

‘Indeed.’

“Then allow me to convey the names of the two brave individuals standing right here. This young lady is Merida Caintos, and this soldier is Emil Carmista. Vargas Kaito trusts them implicitly.”

‘Duly noted.’

“Whenever you have a message to relay, please bring it to these two.”

‘Understood. Well then, until next time... Hup!’

Having concluded the conversation, the ‘Phantom Pawn’ dashed off across the open grassland.

Its golden form receded rapidly into the distance until it completely disappeared.

Well, in truth, I simply deactivated the skill once it had gotten a reasonable distance away.

Either way, this should have successfully established to Merida and Emil that the ‘Phantom Pawn’ is an ally.

“Who would have thought the Dragoon Knight had subordinates of his own?”

I remarked, keeping my eyes fixed on the direction where the ‘Phantom Pawn’ had vanished.

“Still, it seems the ‘Phantom Pawn’ is on our side. That much is clear.”

“Understood!” Merida agreed warmly.

“I will make sure to pass Lord Vargas’s words along to everyone, loud and clear!!” Emil promised proudly.

Both Merida and Emil had eyes sparkling with admiration.

“When you tell them, it would be better to present them as the ‘Phantom Pawn's’ words...” I reminded gently.

“O-Of course!” Emil stammered with a nod.

“Just who is this Dragoon Knight, I wonder? The mystery only continues to deepen!” Merida mused in wonder.

“At least we know beyond a doubt that he is an ally,” I offered.

“Indeed! I put my absolute trust in the Dragoon Knight!!” Merida declared whole-heartedly.

“Me too! I trust him just as much as I trust Lord Vargas!!” Emil echoed enthusiastically.

Thank goodness. With this groundwork laid, we’ll be able to coordinate smoothly even when I assume the mantle of the Dragoon Knight.

I can use one ‘Phantom Pawn’ as a messenger unit and have another stand in as my body double. Perfect.

“Thank you both for today. This was a very meaningful inspection tour.”

I expressed my sincere gratitude to Merida and Emil.

“Likewise! Thank you so very much, Lord Kaito!” Merida beamed.

“Thanks to you, we had a truly invaluable experience! Ah, of course, by invaluable experience, I mean the inspection tour itself...” she added flusteredly.

And so, we made our way back to the royal palace.


—-

Toc

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment