Reincarnated as the Mastermind of the Story Volume 2 Chapter 6
Chapter 6 Platinum Feather
A few days had passed since Ren returned to Clausel.
That morning, he woke up in his room in the old mansion.
As he approached the window to bask in the morning sunlight, his gaze drifted to the desk beside him—and the Azure Jewel of Serakia resting on top of it.
Even now, the orb’s interior shimmered with a misty blue light, occasionally crackling with something akin to lightning.
Feeling an inexplicable urge, Ren reached out toward it.
Of course, there was no response.
Yet, the swirling mist and flickering light within seemed to stir in acknowledgment.
At the same time, he once again felt the peculiar sensation of his mana being drained.
“...It’s like you’re absorbing mana, but hatching you isn’t that simple.”
His voice carried a hint of regret.
The orb trembled faintly in response, almost as if expressing sorrow.
Ren withdrew his hand.
Just then—
“Lord Ren, it is I, Yun.”
A voice called to him from outside the room.
After quickly tidying up his appearance, Ren stepped out to meet Yun.
She apologized for disturbing him so early in the morning and informed him that a large shipment would be arriving at the Clausel estate in a few hours.
"Shipment... Oh! Is it for Lady Lishia’s birthday party?"
"Your insight is most astute. Various supplies, including ingredients for the celebration, are to be delivered in bulk. We shall be moving them to the entrance hall of the old mansion."
"Understood. I’ll help out too."
With his morning duties settled, Ren parted ways with Yun for the time being and prepared himself more properly.
Just as he finished changing, Yun returned with his breakfast in hand, having momentarily left the old mansion.
Since she had gone through the trouble, Ren decided to accept her kindness for today.
The shipment arrived at the Clausel estate before noon.
While Ren was assisting with organizing the supplies—
“Hah… Hah…!”
Lishia suddenly rushed into the old mansion’s entrance hall, breathless.
It was past midday, and most of the knights had gone off for a break.
"D-Did you see!?"
Still panting, Lishia hurriedly met Ren’s gaze.
“See what, exactly?”
“For example—something that looked like a weapon, wrapped up all tight...!”
That was a rather specific question with limited possible answers.
As far as Ren could recall, he hadn’t seen anything fitting that description.
(Did something she ordered get mixed in by mistake? But if it’s a weapon, I don’t see why she’d be so flustered...)
Just as he was mulling it over—
“There it is!” Lishia exclaimed.
It seemed the item she was looking for had indeed ended up here.
While Ren’s attention was elsewhere, she quickly snatched it up, clutching it to her chest and turning her back to him as if to shield it from view.
“…Did you see it?”
She asked again.
Though she was trying to hide it behind her, Ren caught a brief glimpse over her shoulder.
It appeared to be a meticulously crafted white wooden box, securely wrapped.
Deciding it was best to pretend otherwise, he simply replied,
“No, I didn’t get a good look.”
“…That’s a relief. Well then, I just remembered something I need to do, so I’ll see you later!”
Acting rather suspiciously, Lishia hurried off.
Watching her leave, Ren murmured to himself,
“I don’t have time to be worrying about Lady Lishia right now.”
He had something of his own to think about.
As he continued helping with the supply transport, his mind was entirely occupied with one thought—
A gift for Lishia.
(Something that would make Lady Lishia happy… I already gave her clothes before, so something different this time...)
What about accessories?
A ring might be too suggestive, but an everyday accessory should be fine.
After pondering for a while, Ren finally came up with an idea.
(A hair ornament might be nice.)
Something to complement Lishia’s silky, beautiful hair.
That said, he couldn’t afford to choose something mediocre.
As he deliberated on what kind of ornament would suit her, he happened to glance out the window.
“…Whitehawks.”
A flock of Whitehawks soared through the sky.
These magical creatures, known for their white feathers, had once appeared during his escape with Lishia.
As he gazed at them, a certain item came to mind, bringing a faint smile to his lips.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
However—
“Well, I guess that was a long shot…”
A few hours later, Ren was slumped over at the guild.
After scouring the town’s shops, the sky had turned a deep shade of crimson.
The setting sun cast a warm glow through the window, illuminating the slight trace of urgency on his face.
As he sat there, visibly discouraged, a werewolf man approached.
“What’s wrong? You look troubled. Need a hand with something?”
"Actually, I'm searching for a specific material. But it's quite difficult to obtain."
"A material? Even a hero like you is having trouble finding it?"
Placing his last hope in this conversation, Ren voiced the name of the material he sought.
"I'm looking for platinum feathers."
This material, which shone like polished silver, had captivated many women. Though it was as valuable as a gemstone, it possessed no special properties.
"P-Platinum feathers? You mean the rare feathers sometimes grown by White Hawks?! You probably already know this, but those things are nearly impossible to get unless you're extremely lucky!"
"Yeah, that's why I need to do my best to find one."
"I see... No wonder you're struggling."
Occasionally, White Hawks were born with an unusually high amount of magic power. Platinum feathers were the tail feathers of such rare individuals.
However, if one of these special White Hawks was slain, its platinum feathers would instantly revert to ordinary ones as the magic within them dissipated.
Additionally, White Hawks used their magic to flee from threats, which further accelerated the reversion process. Since it took years for a White Hawk to regrow its platinum feathers, acquiring them was largely a matter of chance.
The only generally known method of obtaining one was to find a feather that had naturally fallen off.
At least, that was the common knowledge.
Ren knew another way.
First, the White Hawk had to be full, ensuring its magic remained stable. Then, it needed to be put to sleep without noticing his presence.
Only then could he carefully pluck a platinum feather.
There was no need to take the creature's life.
(Back in the game, I remember encountering a White Hawk and tossing it some food before putting it to sleep...)
The available methods were either using magic or a well-aimed physical strike to the head.
Because White Hawks were naturally difficult to hunt, this alternative method remained largely unknown.
"How about sending a request to the imperial capital's merchant guild? That would be the safest option."
"That would take too long..."
Lishia's birthday was less than a month away.
Although Ren had made a fortune from the Steel-Eating Gargoyle incident, he regretted not acting sooner.
(Thanks to that money, the entire village's living conditions have improved...)
Even wealth couldn't buy time.
"Then that means you'll have to find a White Hawk yourself."
"But I have no idea where to even start looking. Finding one at all will be a huge challenge."
"Hmm? I can't say anything about getting a platinum feather, but I do know a place where White Hawk flocks pass through."
Ren immediately leaned forward on the table.
"R-Really?!"
"Yeah. Here, let me show you on the map."
The wolfman led Ren to a large map posted on the wall.
According to him, a flock of White Hawks passed through the eastern forest before noon. The location was several hours beyond the Great Rift in the land.
"I figured you'd already know about it, considering you've been exploring the area."
"Haha... There are still parts I haven't fully surveyed."
While Ren had been commissioned by Lazard to investigate the region's monsters, he had yet to complete a comprehensive survey of the terrain and the creatures' behaviors.
"I'd love to help you hunt, but I'm leaving town soon for a request."
"A request?"
"Yeah. Baron Clausel sent a commission to the guild—delivering firewood and magic tools to various villages."
"Oh, right. I heard this winter is going to be especially cold."
"Yeah. Based on my experience as an adventurer, it's going to be a rough one. The baron made a wise decision to prepare early."
If it was an important request to help people survive the cold, Ren couldn't afford to take up the wolfman's time.
Ren thanked him again and gave a polite bow.
(I need to start searching tomorrow.)
As Ren mapped out his next steps, the wolfman silently observed him, his keen eyes searching for something in Ren’s gaze.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
Upon returning to the manor, Ren ran into Lishia in the hallway.
Earlier that afternoon, she had been desperate to hide something from him, but now she seemed exhausted, her steps unsteady.
Still, when she spotted Ren, she managed a weary smile.
"Welcome home."
"I'm home. Lishia, why do you look so exhausted? Did you do some sword training while I was away?"
"No... I just overused my magic, so don't worry about it."
Ren tilted his head at the unexpected response.
"Was it for your holy magic training?"
Lishia shook her head.
"I was channeling my magic into a magic tool—wait!?"
She had answered without thinking, likely due to her fatigue.
Though Ren didn't seem to notice, Lishia quickly snapped to attention, slapping her cheeks with both hands.
"It's nothing! Don't worry about it!"
With that, she quickly hurried away from Ren.
He watched her go, concern flickering in his eyes as she continued to walk unsteadily.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
The next morning, before sunrise, Ren arrived at the town gate.
He greeted the knight on duty before setting off down the road.
As he traveled, the morning sun gradually began to illuminate the surroundings.
"Alright, time to get to work."
At his words, his horse let out a sharp neigh—"Hihin!"
It had once belonged to Yelquq, but now it was Ren’s.
He had named her "Io" simply because he liked the way it sounded.
She was a mare.
"Once I get my hands on a platinum feather, I'll have the shopkeeper who sold me that outfit craft it into something. I need to factor in the time that will take, so I have to get one as soon as possible."
Io let out a soft whinny.
"Hey, don’t start eating grass on the roadside just because you don’t understand what I’m saying."
Ignoring Ren’s words, Io contentedly munched on the roadside grass.
"...Well, whatever."
Once she was satisfied, she resumed walking, so Ren decided not to press the matter any further.
A few hours later, Ren arrived at his intended hunting ground—a place where Whitehawks were known to pass through the sky.
Towering trees surrounded him, their upper branches heavy with bright red fruit that resembled grapes.
The fruit was sweet and flavorful enough for humans to enjoy, but since harvesting it wasn’t particularly profitable, few people bothered to collect it.
According to the werewolf, Whitehawks loved the fruit.
Even though flocks of them visited daily and feasted on it regularly, there was still more than enough to go around.
(This works out perfectly.)
That meant he wouldn’t have to waste time feeding them.
Now, all he had to do was conceal himself as naturally as possible using the power of his wooden magic sword.
He had already masked his scent with an odor-neutralizing perfume he’d bought at the Adventurers’ Guild.
(The real problem is whether any of them will have platinum feathers…)
Just as he was thinking that, he spotted movement in the sky nearby.
A flock of Whitehawks, like drifting white clouds, came into view.
They flew straight in his direction, landed on the branches, and immediately started pecking at the fruit.
(Come on, there’s gotta be one…)
He carefully examined each bird one by one.
Back when he played the game, he had encountered hundreds of Whitehawks before finally acquiring a single platinum feather.
It was only natural that he wouldn't find one so easily now.
If he couldn’t get one after multiple tries, he’d have to give up and find another gift.
The Whitehawks constantly shifted positions.
At first, he tried counting them, but he quickly lost track.
One flock would finish feeding and take off, only for another to arrive and replace them.
Even after scanning through dozens, then over a hundred, he still couldn’t spot a platinum feather.
Ren let out a wry chuckle.
(Maybe this was a long shot after all…)
But then—
(Huh?)
A sudden glint of light made him squint.
It was sunlight reflecting off something.
But there shouldn’t have been anything reflective around…
When he turned toward the source of the light—
(No way!)
There, feasting on fruit, was a Whitehawk with a dazzling tail.
(There it is!)
His gaze locked onto the bird, its platinum feather gleaming in the sunlight.
He had to get his hands on it—no matter what.
Just as he was about to throw a stone at the Whitehawk’s head—
(—Huh?!)
One by one, the birds finished eating and took off into the sky.
The Whitehawk with the platinum feather followed suit, lifting its feet from the branch.
He wasn’t skilled at throwing, and if he missed, his chance would be gone forever.
(Wait…!)
Realizing that a simple throw wouldn’t cut it, he came up with another plan.
Summoning the Plunderer’s Magic Sword, he equipped it on his fingers and kicked off the thick branch beneath him, launching himself into the air.
(Coo?)
The Whitehawk he had targeted noticed the sound and started to turn toward him.
But before it could fully turn around, Ren’s arm moved first.
A single swift motion sent a gust of wind brushing against the Whitehawk’s body.
(Squawk! Squawk!)
(Coo! Coo coo!)
The surrounding Whitehawks erupted into a chorus of startled cries, flapping their wings in a frenzy to escape the sudden intruder.
Ren watched them as he fell toward the ground.
But he wasn’t afraid of falling.
He swung his wooden magic sword toward the earth, summoning roots and vines to cushion his landing.
The vines stretched and gave slightly as they caught him, breaking his fall.
That was when he felt something in his hands.
(Please… let it be that feather.)
A nervous hesitation gripped him.
He was almost too afraid to look.
It took him several long seconds before he finally mustered the courage to open his palm.
The moment he did, a few feathers fluttered down onto his chest.
“…Haha.”
His dry chuckle came from the tension that had parched his throat.
But the smile on his face was pure elation.
“I might’ve just used up a lifetime’s worth of luck.”
Platinum feathers were incredibly rare.
And stealing one at random with the Plunderer Magic Sword was an almost impossible feat.
Yet, against all odds, he had done it.
Staring at the radiant platinum feathers resting against his chest, Ren trembled with a joy unlike anything he had ever felt before.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
Several days passed after Ren had arranged to have the platinum feather crafted into an accessory at Lishia’s favorite shop.
Every night, he practiced party etiquette with Yun in the estate’s kitchen, continuing his lessons until the night before the event.
“Huh? There won’t be any guests from outside?”
Ren’s surprised voice rang out as they chatted after the lesson.
“If we were hosting it in a town near the imperial capital, we would have invited some. But since Clausel is far from major cities and noble territories… it’s difficult to hold a large-scale aristocratic gathering.”
Merchants who did business in Clausel would stop by to offer their greetings, but they typically visited during the day.
By the time the birthday party began in the evening, all such formal guests would have already come and gone.
“So as long as you remember the basics, you don’t need to be too formal.”
When Ren expressed his understanding and thanked her, Yun smiled before taking her leave.
Stretching his slightly tense body, he let out a breath and followed her lead, stepping out of the kitchen.
Just then, a voice reached his ears.
"…You're hiding something from me again."
It was Lishia, muttering in dissatisfaction.
Peeking around the corner, she watched Ren with narrowed, scrutinizing eyes.
As Ren approached, she quickly withdrew from sight, but when he reached the corner, he found her leaning against the wall just ahead.
"Oh my, Ren. What a coincidence."
"A coincidence? You were just looking at me, weren't you?"
"No, not at all."
"…I see."
Ren found her obvious evasiveness amusing, but since she was playing dumb, he decided to let it go.
"Say, why have you been going to the kitchen so often lately?"
It seemed Lishia was simply curious about what he had been doing.
Since he had no reason to keep it a secret, Ren told her honestly about his recent activities.
"What!? Then I should have been the one to teach you!"
Lishia pouted adorably, making Ren chuckle.
"But you've been exhausted lately, haven't you? Something about overusing your magic power?"
"Ugh… W-Well, that's true… But I start feeling a little better at night. Besides, even when I wanted to talk to you in the evenings, you were always in the old mansion."
"Ah, so that's why you were sneaking around watching me."
"I don't know what you're talking about. I wasn't sneaking around."
She was sulking even more than usual today, which only made her look cuter.
Her upturned gaze said it all, but there was also a faint loneliness in her eyes that Ren couldn't overlook.
"Just to be sure—you're not pushing yourself too hard, are you?"
"I'm fine. Since the party is tomorrow, I made sure to take it easy today."
"That's a relief. But… what exactly have you been doing that left you so drained every day?"
Lishia hesitated for a moment before suddenly flashing a playful smile.
"It's a secret. For now."
"For now? So that means you'll tell me eventually?"
"Hehe, maybe I will."
With a cheerful laugh, Lishia invited Ren to have a late-night chat, just like old times.
But Ren had a different idea.
"Actually, since we're here, why don't I show you the results of my training?"
"Huh? What do you mean?"
"Aside from basic etiquette, Yun also taught me how to brew tea. That said, I have absolutely no confidence that it'll be to your liking."
"I'm happy you invited me, but… I didn't expect you to say that so bluntly."
Lishia let her true feelings slip at Ren’s candid admission.
"Well, to be honest, I've only been learning for a few days."
"Uh-huh, I see. Well, I'm looking forward to it."
With light steps, they headed to the kitchen together.
As Lishia watched Ren prepare the tea, she eventually brought the cup to her lips.
Then, with a small smile, she murmured,
"It's good. But… maybe just a little bitter."
◇ ◇ ◇
The following day, just as Ren had heard, visitors from the surrounding areas arrived at the manor to celebrate.
Throughout the day, Ren didn't see Lishia even once.
He knew where she was, but with so many guests around, he hadn't had a chance to meet her.
Before he knew it, the sun had begun to set, and the time for the party drew near.
"I never thought this day would come."
The outfit Lishia had given him before summer—Ren finally had the chance to wear it.
He slipped into the tailored jacket and stood before the full-length mirror in the old mansion.
The black fabric featured a faint checkered pattern, and when paired with matching slacks, he looked almost like a noble's son.
Tucking a thin, white wooden box containing his gift into his jacket's inner pocket, he was all set.
It made his chest protrude slightly, but only if one looked closely.
"Alright, time to go."
As he stepped outside, the night sky was already beginning to take over.
The warm glow spilling from the manor’s windows created a beautifully enchanting scene.
The unfamiliar leather shoes of his formal attire clacked softly against the ground as he made his way toward the main building.
"You wear it well. That dignified look reminds me of the hero, Ruin."
The voice came from Weiss, who spotted Ren upon his arrival.
The knights standing beside him echoed similar remarks.
"You all look quite different yourselves today."
The knights were dressed in what appeared to be formal military-style uniforms.
It seemed customary for them to don such attire for the occasion.
Walking alongside Weiss and the others toward the grand hall, Ren suddenly heard,
"By the way, every year, I present a gift as the knights' representative, while the head butler does the same for the servants."
"So that means I go before you, right?"
"No, you’ll be going after us."
"…Huh?"
"Your gift is special, after all. It wouldn't feel right for us, mere retainers, to present ours before you."
What is this guy talking about?
Ren couldn't help but think that, despite the slight impoliteness of the thought.
"Normally, the master of the house presents his gift last. I'd like you to go right before him."
"Are you serious?"
"Completely."
A wave of nervousness washed over Ren, making his stomach feel uneasy.
He instinctively placed a hand over his left chest.
"I think I might be getting a stomachache."
"It's rare to see you looking so much like a boy."
"Please don’t misunderstand—I am still a boy."
"Perhaps. But from the way you carry yourself, I sometimes forget your actual age."
"Well, consider this your chance to remind yourself."
Ren replied with a resigned tone, making everyone around him chuckle.
◇ ◇ ◇
At the far end of the grand hall stood a large table, more extravagant than any other.
It was surrounded by an array of colorful flowers and numerous gifts, creating a scene of pure opulence.
When Lishia appeared, she seemed to glow in Ren's eyes.
Her ethereal beauty, unchanged from before, now carried an air of nobility, like that of a true princess.
Guided by her father, Lazard, she accepted the applause of those gathered with a dignified presence, all while wearing a delicate, radiant smile.
Then, her eyes met Ren’s.
"Does it suit me?"
She formed the words with her lips.
Ren replied the same way.
"It suits you perfectly."
Lishia smiled and mouthed back,
"You look good too, Ren."
Once she took her seat, the gathered guests each took a fresh glass in hand.
Lazard addressed everyone, expressing his deep gratitude for their presence—especially to Ren—before raising his glass for a toast.
After that, the head butler stepped forward to present a gift on behalf of the servants, followed by Weiss, representing the knights.
"As a gift from all of us knights, I have arranged for a full set of training equipment from a shop in the imperial capital that served me well during my time as a royal guard."
"Really!? Thank you so much!"
Lishia’s joy was unmistakable.
Ren couldn’t help but think that a noble lady being this thrilled over training equipment was quite rare.
(Wait… royal guard?)
The royal guard—an elite order at the very peak of Leomel’s knights.
Only those of general rank or higher surpassed them, with positions like captain of the royal guard or personal bodyguards to the royal family being among the few above them.
But Ren had no time to dwell on his surprise.
According to the plan, he was up next.
Suppressing his rising nerves, he stepped forward and steadily approached Lishia—only to halt midway.
Lazard, who was supposed to present his gift last, had already given his.
"I apologize. This was unexpected for us as well," one of the knights beside Ren whispered.
"Could it be that Lord Lazard thought I didn’t prepare a gift?"
"No, I believe he was certain that you had. Look at him."
Following the knight’s words, Ren glanced over and saw Lazard smiling at him in secret.
(…Well, whatever.)
Thinking that looking too nervous wouldn’t be very manly, Ren gave his cheek a sharp slap to psych himself up.
His footsteps echoed through the grand hall, and the lively chatter fell into a hush.
Seeing Ren approaching, Lishia stepped forward as well, moving to the center of the hall.
They stood face-to-face, sharing a bashful smile, neither of them speaking for several long seconds.
"Happy birthday. Also… you look beautiful."
At those words, Lishia tilted her head slightly, looking a bit embarrassed.
"Thank you. That makes me happy."
Her voice carried a warmth different from usual.
A strange awkwardness settled between them, but then Ren took a deep breath and spoke.
"Anyway, I have a gift for you as well."
"…Is it really okay? I've caused you so much trouble."
"I don't think that at all, so don't worry about it."
Lishia hesitated, torn between feeling undeserving and the sheer joy of receiving a gift from Ren.
Her heart pounded so loudly that she worried he might hear it.
"Will you accept it?"
"…Of course!"
Ren silently prayed that she would like it.
Slipping a hand into the inner pocket of his jacket, he grasped a neatly wrapped box.
"Happy birthday."
With those simple words, he handed her the present.
Lishia brought the box to her chest, holding it gently in both hands.
She gazed at it for a moment, then lifted her eyes to Ren, her gaze filled with emotion.
"I hope you like it."
"You know… even if it were just this box, I think I’d treasure it more than any other gift."
"I appreciate the sentiment, but that might be a little unfair to the others…"
Lishia had been half-joking, half-serious.
She simply wanted to ease Ren’s nerves and express just how happy she was.
The knights and servants chuckled, amused but not offended.
Even Lazard watched on, eager to see what Ren had chosen.
"I wonder what it is," Lishia murmured as she untied the ribbon.
The moment she lifted the lid, the light from the chandelier caught the delicate ornament inside—a gleaming feather-shaped hairpiece.
Lishia froze.
She had never seen it before, yet she recognized it instantly.
A single tear slid down her cheek, sparkling like a precious gemstone.
"What am I supposed to do?"
Wiping her tears with her fingertips, she whispered,
"I'm so happy I could die."
The drops of her joy clung to her pale fingers, shimmering in the light.
"That would be a problem. Should I have gotten you something else instead?"
Even as he joked, Ren felt relieved that she was happy.
Perhaps he was just trying to hide his own embarrassment.
"No way. You’re never getting this back," she said with a playful pout, her lips curling into a radiant smile.
In that moment, Lishia wasn’t the saintly noblewoman known as Lishia Clausel.
She was simply a girl, overjoyed by a gift from someone dear to her.
The onlookers were more curious than ever about what Ren had given her.
Yet no one interrupted, watching the scene unfold in quiet amusement.
"Hey, Ren, would you put it on for me?"
With that single request, the situation shifted.
Ren hesitated for a moment, unsure if it was appropriate to touch her hair in front of an audience.
But it was her birthday, and she had asked him herself.
Slowly, he retrieved the hairpiece from the box and reached for her hair.
Lishia's locks were silky smooth, well cared for.
There was no need to comb them—just gently place the ornament.
As he did, the feather-shaped decoration gleamed under the chandelier’s glow.
"Th-That’s—!"
Lazard's eyes widened in shock.
"Weiss! That’s a platinum feather! How in the world did Ren get his hands on one?!"
"I-I have no idea! Even in the capital, they’re nearly impossible to find…!"
While the room stirred in amazement, Lishia was oblivious to their reaction.
Instead, she turned to Ren and asked softly,
"Does it suit me?"
"It does. Very much."
The gathered guests watched in awe as the ornament accentuated her beauty even further.
It sat just behind her ear, catching the light with every movement she made.
"Father! Look! Ren gave me such a wonderful gift!"
"A-Ah… It suits you well…"
Lazard was still reeling from the shock.
Lishia, however, remained blissfully unaware, simply delighted by the compliment.
She excitedly showed the ornament to the servants as well, and every time someone praised it, she turned to Ren with a dazzling smile.
As Ren watched her happiness, Yun approached him.
"I must say, I'm astonished… I never expected you to gift her a platinum feather."
"I was lucky enough to find one. Just happened to stumble across it in the forest."
Yun couldn’t tell if he was being serious or not.
But given how rare platinum feathers were, luck was indeed the only way to obtain one.
He didn’t get a chance to question further, though, because Lishia had returned.
"Yun, look! Do you think it suits me?"
"Of course. I don’t think anything could suit you better, my lady."
(Okay, that might be a bit much—)
"Hehe, I think so too!"
Ren, feeling embarrassed, turned away.
He grabbed a glass of fruit water from the table and took a long sip, as if to cool down the warmth creeping up his face.
The refreshing drink helped, if only a little.
"Ren? Is something wrong?"
"It’s nothing, so please don’t worry about it."
Seeing Ren’s embarrassment, Yun smiled to himself and stepped in to help.
"Now then, my lady, we have all worked hard to prepare this feast, so please enjoy it to your heart’s content."
"You're right! After all, they went through so much trouble to make all this delicious food!"
With that, the conversation naturally shifted to the meal, and Yun took it upon herself to bring dishes to the two of them. At times, they were joined by other servants and knights, sharing lighthearted chatter and laughter.
At one point, Lezard questioned Ren about the platinum feather, but all Ren could say was that he had been lucky. Even though he knew how to obtain it, luck was still a major factor, so it wasn’t exactly a lie.
As the lively party continued, time passed in the blink of an eye, with the clock’s hands making several full rotations.
Just as the celebration was about to wind down, Lishia tugged gently on the hem of Ren’s jacket.
"Would you mind giving me a little of your time after this?"
"I don’t mind, but what’s the matter?"
"Um… well… I was thinking that, if you’re okay with it, I’d like to tell you why I ended up using so much magic…"
Lishia’s voice was hesitant—uncharacteristically unsure.
Ren had no reason to refuse. In fact, since it was her birthday, he wanted to grant as many of her wishes as possible.
When he asked if staying up late would be okay, Lishia gave a short but firm response.
"I’ll be fine."
With that, she took his hand and led him out of the party venue.
Ren didn’t resist.
As he followed her, he wondered where they were headed—until they arrived at her room.
"Wait here for just a moment."
Ren nodded and waited outside.
A few minutes later, Lishia emerged, holding a small white wooden box close to her chest.
(That’s…)
Ren recognized it.
It was one of the items that had been transported to the old mansion along with the other supplies for her birthday party.
But why had she gone to retrieve it?
Without giving him time to ask, Lishia took his hand and guided him to a terrace outside the estate.
The terrace was surrounded by neatly trimmed hedges, providing a secluded space where they could gaze at the star-filled sky without anyone intruding.
"I can’t believe I got to spend my birthday like this… It feels like a dream," Lishia said softly as she sat down in one of the terrace chairs.
Ren took a seat across from her, realizing that she likely just wanted some company.
However, his gaze kept drifting toward the white wooden box on the table before him.
She had gone out of her way to retrieve it, which meant it must be important.
"…Earlier, I said I’d tell you why I was overusing my magic, right?"
"Yes. And… does it have something to do with this box?"
Lishia nodded.
She kept her head lowered, her face flushed all the way down to her neck as she finally spoke.
"I-I know it took some time… but I chose this just for you, Ren!"
With that, she pushed the white wooden box toward him.
From her words, it was clear that this was a gift from her to him.
But…
Ren had no idea why she was giving him a present when it was her birthday.
"Um…"
"Just open it already!"
Lishia’s face was still downcast, but she urged him on, her voice flustered yet insistent.
With no reason to refuse, Ren reached for the wooden box, lifted the lid, and—
Inside was a dagger.
Its pristine white sheath gleamed in the moonlight, adorned with delicate gold filigree shaped like laurel leaves. The weapon exuded a pure and elegant aura.
Ren’s mind flashed back to his battle against Yelquq.
During that fight, he had lent Lishia his dagger.
Somewhere along the way, it had gone missing.
"This is… the dagger you promised to return to me, isn’t it?"
"…Yes. The reason I’ve been using up all my magic lately… is because I was preparing this."
She paused before continuing.
"Go on. Draw it."
Urged by Lishia, Ren obediently took the dagger in his hand and pulled it from its sheath.
The moment he did—
His breath caught.
The blade was perfectly transparent, like a crystal polished to perfection.
But that wasn’t all.
A radiant light surged within the blade, flickering like lightning sealed within its core.
"It’s not just an ordinary dagger—it's a magic tool as well. The blade isn’t made of metal but a special material that can store magic power."
"Which means… the flashes of light I see inside are—"
"Yeah. I sealed my magic inside it, right up to the limit. If you strike with it, it should have an effect similar to holy magic."
However, unlike the versatile and powerful holy magic Lishia wielded, the dagger’s effect was minor—it would only release a faint trace of her magic upon impact.
Because of that, weapons like this weren’t considered part of a fighter’s arsenal but were instead meant to be carried as protective charms.
That said, the blade was still sharp, and much like the dagger he had lost, the pommel could be used to start a fire when struck against stone.
"So, um… I thought it could be a good luck charm for you, Ren…"
Lishia finally lifted her gaze, her flushed cheeks and teary eyes locked onto him.
"…This seems like a valuable item. Are you sure it’s okay?"
"Do you… not want it?"
She asked in a trembling voice, her face still bright red.
Her eyes, glossy with unshed tears, looked so fragile that it seemed like they might spill over at any moment.
Realizing how inconsiderate his words had been, Ren quickly corrected himself.
"I’m sorry. No—I’m really happy. In fact… I was just imagining how cool it would look hanging from my waist."
As he spoke, he returned the dagger to its sheath and placed it back in the wooden box.
Lishia’s expression softened, and she let out a small giggle.
"But… why give it to me on your birthday?"
"…Because I wanted to celebrate your birthday too."
"Huh?"
"That’s why! I couldn’t wait until next year! I wanted to give it to you today!"
Ren’s birthday was in the spring.
But because of the Yelquq incident, Lishia had never gotten the chance to celebrate it properly.
That regret had stayed with her all this time.
However, she had the dagger—the one she had promised to return to him.
And so, she decided to give it back today, on her own birthday, as a way of celebrating his.
"Pfft… Hahaha…"
"Wh—?! Why are you laughing?!"
Flustered, Lishia leaned forward over the table, pouting at Ren, who was struggling to contain his laughter.
Ren simply smiled.
The usual composed and noble Lishia was nowhere to be seen.
The girl before him now felt far more real, far closer.
"Sorry. I just found it funny—realizing that we were both nervous all day."
"Wh-what?! Am I not allowed to be nervous?!"
"Of course you are. It’s just… I guess we’re more alike than I thought, and that made me laugh."
"Ugh! I don’t care anymore! It’s not like I was nervous or anything!"
Embarrassed, Lishia flopped onto the table, kicking her legs back and forth in frustration.
But then—
Something in Ren’s words caught her off guard.
"From now on… I’ll be counting on you."
"From now on…?"
Still lying on the table, Lishia lifted her head slightly, staring at him with wide eyes.
Tears welled up at the corners.
Noticing them, Ren opened his mouth to ask what was wrong.
But before he could, her tears started falling, rolling silently down her cheeks.
"That’s a promise, okay?"
"A promise? Wait—why are you crying?!"
There wasn’t a trace of sadness in her expression.
If anything, she was brimming with joy.
"It’s a secret. And since you laughed at me for being nervous, I definitely won’t tell you."
Lishia was happy.
A year ago, Ren had tried to keep his distance from her.
Yet now, he had told her, "From now on."
That simple phrase filled her heart with indescribable joy.
But just like she said—this was a secret.
It was partly payback for him laughing at her.
And also…
Because seeing him panic and try to console her made her want to indulge in his kindness just a little longer.
——.

.jpg)
Thanks
ReplyDelete