The World of Ash is Colored by God's Eyes ~Only I can see the status, and I'll rise from the weakest to the strongest~ Volume 1 Chapter 6

Ren

  Chapter 6 ▼ Welcome to Avalon


The sound signaling the end rang out, and I let out a sigh of relief, closing my eyes.


“Great… I can go back now… Once I’m back…”


I pressed down on my bleeding left hand, keeping my eyes shut.


“I need to get to a hospital first…”


My vision darkened, and in the next moment, I found myself back in my familiar home, staring up at the ceiling.


Thank goodness my phone was in my bag.


I could barely move a step, but with the last of my strength, I managed to open my bag and pull out my phone…


To call Tanaka-san for help.


“…So this is the legendary unfamiliar ceiling, huh.”


When I opened my eyes, I was lying in a hospital bed.


Bright red blood flowed through a tube connected to my body.


It seemed I was receiving a transfusion.


“Good… You’re awake, Ash… I thought your heart had stopped.”


I turned my head toward the voice. Tanaka-san was sitting there.


He was dressed in a suit, likely having rushed over from work midway through his day. His laptop was open beside me as he worked.


He was so busy, and I felt guilty for troubling him.


“Sorry for causing you so much trouble… But thank goodness you picked up the phone in time. I nearly died.”


“That’s true. If it weren’t for a healing mage of Midori’s caliber giving you emergency treatment, it would’ve been dire. By the time we arrived, you were on the brink… But I’m so glad you’re alive. Dr. Ijuin said your external injuries can be healed, and you’ll just need a transfusion—no hospitalization required. However… the burn scar on your left ankle will stay. Some of the cells are necrotic, so treatment won’t help.”


“Is that so… Well, I’ll call it a man’s badge of honor!”


I said with a laugh.


I looked down at my foot. It did indeed look like it had been seared by fire, and the scar would be with me for life. But I brushed it off with a smile, deciding it wasn’t worth fussing over.


“…You’re really tough. Midori was worried too, but she had other healing jobs today, so I told her to head back.”


“I owe her my thanks.”


“She figured you’d say that and told me to tell you not to worry about it. She was glad to repay you for once, so don’t let it weigh on your mind.”


Tanaka-san said this while ruffling my hair.


Seeing his expression, I made up my mind.


“Tanaka-san… would you hear me out about my ability? I want to tell you what happened that day in the Golden Cube.”


“I’m all ears, anytime. No matter what it is, I’ll listen.”


Tanaka-san’s face lit up with his usual warm smile.


That look put me at ease, and I began to explain everything that happened that day—everything I’d kept hidden.


“That day, I was teleported from the monster’s room to somewhere else. After you all left, I closed my eyes when the monster was unleashed. But when I opened them again, I was in another space.”


“…I see.”


“Then a voice told me I’d succeeded in conquering it… and granted me the ‘Eye of God’ as a reward.”


“Conquered it… So your final choice really was the right one. What’s this ‘Eye of God’? That’s quite a grand name.”


“Could I borrow some paper and a pen?”


“Sure.”


I took the paper and pen from Tanaka-san.


Then I read his status and wrote it down.


Tanaka-san watched me curiously, waiting silently as I finished.


“I received what that voice called the Eye of God… This ability changed the way I see the world.”


“The Eye of God… Wait, you don’t mean *that* eye from the mural, do you?”


Tanaka-san recalled the symbol on the wall—a triangle with an eye in the center.


The Eye of Providence, famous as the all-seeing eye of God.


“Yes, and this is what it does.”


I handed him the paper with his status written on it.


“…No way. Could this… Is this…?”


I’d written Tanaka-san’s status and passed it to him.


---


**Name:** Tanaka Issei  

**Condition:** Good  

**Class:** Mage (Flame) [Advanced]  

**Skills:** Fireball, Fire Wall  

**Magic Power:** 23,450  

**Attack Power:** Reflectivity ▼25% = 5,862  

**Defense Power:** Reflectivity ▼25% = 5,862  

**Speed:** Reflectivity ▼25% = 5,862  

**Intelligence:** Reflectivity ▼100% = 23,450  


---


“23,450… That’s the exact magic power reading from the mana gauge. I’ve never made that public, and I’m sure I didn’t tell you. And the skill names too? This is really…”


Tanaka-san held the paper with both hands, muttering to himself as he stared at it.


I fidgeted a little, watching his reaction.


“Ash, you can see all this? Does it work on everyone?”


“…Yes. And it works on this weapon too, as well as the cubes.”


I pulled out my Gray Wolf Fang Sword.


I told him that the moment I saw the sword, I knew it was made from gray wolf materials.


“W-Wait a sec. I need a moment to process this. Not just people, but weapons and even cubes have stats?”


“A-And monsters too. I think anything influenced by magic power has them.”


Tanaka-san tilted his head back as if staring at the sky, leaning against his chair.


“…So you’re saying you know the strength of monsters, the performance of weapons, and even the details of cubes? All in numbers?”


“…Yes.”


“This is… way beyond anything I could’ve imagined. I thought I was prepared for whatever you’d say, but this—this could change the world.”


Next, I explained the hardest part to confess.


“…There’s something even more shocking.”


“What? There’s more…?”


“The cubes—dungeons—have two types of clears: first-time clears and full completions, each with rewards. Cubes that have already been cleared once don’t give rewards for a first-time clear anymore, but… very few have been fully completed.”


“Full completion?”


“Yeah. Each cube has specific conditions—like solo clearing or defeating a hundred goblins, for example. The reward for a full completion… is an increase in your magic power cap.”


At that, Tanaka-san shot to his feet.


“…The rumors about rare cases where people grew stronger after clearing cubes… This is why?”


“Probably…”


“Phew… That’s everything, right? This is already a lot to take in.”


“There’s still more details…”


“Ha… Haha, after all that, might as well spill it all.”


I went on to explain dungeon collapses, leveling up, and access permissions—everything, including my own theories.


And then, my goal.


“AMS… the details of the disease eroding the world…”


“Right. That’s why I want to get stronger—to read the full details of AMS. I don’t know how yet, but I think the dungeons, the cubes, hold the key to solving it.”


“So you’ve been solo-clearing them to grow stronger.”


“…Yes!”


I laid bare my feelings to Tanaka-san.


The danger of solo clearing was beyond imagination—I knew that all too well. In such a short time, I’d come close to death multiple times.


That’s exactly why the Dungeon Association and guilds existed, why they’d set up the dungeon point system for entry.


I’d broken the rules. If they revoked my adventurer status, I wouldn’t complain.


“You could die. Solo clearing is that dangerous.”


“I’m prepared to die for it.”


“…”


“…”


Tanaka-san and I locked eyes, our expressions grave.


A few seconds later, he couldn’t hold it in and burst out laughing.


“…Heh, haha! If you’ve got that kind of resolve, knowing you as I do, I can only trust you.”


He must’ve been referring to that trial of the heart.


Back then, I really had been ready to die, choosing to save the lives of the other two.


Of course, I’d acted partly out of my selfish hope that Nagi would survive.


“Yeah, you couldn’t stop me even if you tried.”


“…I *should* stop you, but…”


Tanaka-san took my hand, giving me that same look again.


“There must be a reason this power was given to you. The least I can do is help.”


“Tanaka-san…”


“Also, it’s best you don’t tell anyone else about this power. You need to grow stronger on your own with it. I’ll be blunt: if this power were misused, it could change the world. Worse, it might make you a target for malicious forces.”


“What do you mean…?”


“If it’s in Japan and the threat is Japanese, my guild and this country can protect you. But… you get it, right? Who might come after you?”


“A nation?”


Tanaka-san nodded silently.


This power could disrupt the balance of power worldwide. Even Japan’s full might might not be enough to shield me.


China, the U.S., Russia, Asia, the Western powers.


Japan, a mid-tier nation in terms of adventurer strength.


What would my future look like then?


I might be reduced to an appraisal machine, stripped of any say.


These eyes could be gouged out. I might even be deemed a threat and killed.


The thought alone was terrifying.


Someone as insignificant as me couldn’t stand against the world’s forces.


“So at the very least, aim for S-rank—become an adventurer who can represent Japan. It won’t make you untouchable, but it’ll reduce the risks.”


“M-Me, an S-rank!?”


“Yes, and I’ll help you. Normally, the dungeon point system prevents solo entry, so you’ve been targeting rural cubes, right?”


“…Yeah, I broke the rules.”


“Then I’ll break them too. I’ll file fake applications with the Association. Don’t worry—I’ll handle it so it won’t leak or leave a trace.”


“Is… Is that okay? If anyone finds out, it’ll be bad, right?”


“It’s a crime, sure. But sometimes, there are things more important than rules. I trust you, I’m certain this aligns with my sense of justice, and I think I understand the meaning behind why you were given this power.”


At my age, it’s not that I can’t understand what it means for someone in Tanaka-san’s position to break the rules.


Even so, I decided to ask for his help.


Because there’s something I want to protect more than the rules.


“…Got it. Then I’ll leave it to you!”


“No problem, I’ve got this. So… this time, it’s not backdoor dealings. You can say it loud and proud.”


I sat up in the hospital bed as Tanaka-san gripped my shoulders.


“Welcome to our guild, Avalon.”


“Huh? I’m joining Avalon!?”


“Yep, you’re joining the guild. It’ll make things a lot easier in many ways. Starting tomorrow, I’ll arrange a few D-rank dungeons you can tackle solo. Your current strength is around lower C-rank, right? These dungeons should be just right for you. You want to get into dungeons as soon as possible, don’t you?”


“Haha, you saw right through me, huh? I grandly claimed it’s for my family, but honestly, I’m pretty excited right now. Plus, I want to test out this new power.”


Tanaka-san had seen through my true feelings, and it made me a little embarrassed.


I was serious and genuinely wanted to help Nagi.


But dungeon delving was fun—each bit of growth gave me a sense of accomplishment.


“I get it. Dungeons are a man’s romance. And with room to grow, how could you not be thrilled? Alright, I’ve got to get back to work. I’ll contact you later. Rest up.”


“Thanks for everything!”


That day, Tanaka-san left after our meaningful conversation. With his support secured, I no longer had to trek to far-off rural areas for dungeon runs.


Though, to avoid detection, I’d often need to move at night.


With Tanaka-san’s help, I went on to conquer one D-rank dungeon after another.


Honestly, they weren’t challenging at all.


The reason? After passing a leveling trial, I’d gained the class of Junior Knight (Light).


Not only did my reflectivity stats increase, but I also acquired that illusion skill—the one that makes me invisible.


With this overpowered ability, I breezed through dungeon after dungeon.


Two weeks passed like that.


“Tanaka-san, I think I’m ready to take on C-rank dungeons.”


I visited Tanaka-san’s office to discuss it.


I wore Avalon’s guild badge, fully embracing my status as an official guild member.


Just wearing this badge commanded respect—it was like a general’s token.


“It’s only been… two weeks since then, right? Isn’t that a bit rushed? You’ve definitely gotten stronger, but from C-rank onward, the difficulty spikes hard.”


To be honest, clearing D-rank dungeons felt more like busywork, and my growth had slowed to a crawl.


After all, clearing a dungeon only boosted my magic power by 100.


For someone like me, who started with a measly 5 magic power, to call 100 “only” showed how desensitized I’d become.


To reach Tanaka-san’s level, I’d need to clear nearly 300 D-rank dungeons.


At that rate, Japan alone wouldn’t cut it—I’d have to look overseas.


“I’ll work hard, so please! With my illusion power, I don’t think it’ll be too tough.”


I pleaded desperately with Tanaka-san.


Against enemies with lower intelligence than me, my illusion skill could render me invisible to them.


It was an utterly unfair advantage against weaker foes.


Yet Tanaka-san didn’t look particularly pleased.


“Hmm, well… I’ve got a condition.”


“What condition!?”


“Before I get to that, a quick aside—your adventurer rank has been updated to C-rank. I explained it as a rare case of magic power growth.”


“Oh, got it.”


People who unknowingly achieved full or first-time clears often grew stronger, which was chalked up to “magic power growth.”


Normally, no matter how many cubes you cleared, your magic power wouldn’t increase.


It was a rare phenomenon, but since it had been observed enough times, a system was put in place for it.


“Having C-rank status makes things easier… Actually, there’s something I need your help with.”


“What is it…?”


Tanaka-san flashed a hearty grin and picked up a file from his desk.


It contained adventurer profiles and a photo of a young woman.


“I’d like you to join a C-rank dungeon team as an Avalon member. You haven’t been to a C-rank dungeon yet, right? It’d be a good chance to get a feel for them. I think it’s a solid opportunity.”


“That’s a great idea—and safer too. Is that what you need me for?”


Tanaka-san’s proposal was for me to join a team and enter a C-rank dungeon, something I’d never done before.


I accepted the offer.


Rather than blindly charging into a C-rank dungeon solo, teaming up for my first run to scope things out was definitely safer.


But this mission didn’t seem like an ordinary dungeon run.


“To be honest, we’ve received a special request. Someone needs an escort into a dungeon.”


“An escort…? That’s unusual. Some rich person or something? Who’d be crazy enough to want to go into a dungeon like that?”


“Exactly. It’s this woman.”


Tanaka-san showed me the photo.


“…A high schooler? She’s gorgeous… and kinda familiar…”


I studied the picture.


Long black hair, perfect posture, and a great figure.


Her sharp, upturned eyes carried a powerful gaze that made me nervous just looking at them.


She was stunning, and her all-black uniform only added to her allure, making my heart skip a beat.


But I felt like I’d seen her somewhere before…


“You know the president of the Japan Dungeon Association, Ryuenji Keitora, right?”


“Of course! He’s the S-rank adventurer who built the new era—my idol, no, every adventurer’s idol. Those videos of him taking down hordes of monsters barehanded? They’re exhilarating every time. I hear he’s a martial arts master, though he’s retired now.”


“Right. He’s over seventy, but still spry—could probably take me down with one hand. He wants to enter a dungeon, but everyone’s scrambling to stop him daily.”


From Tanaka-san’s tone, it sounded like he knew the president personally.


He tilted his head back, his eyes nostalgic. I wondered what history they shared.


“Sorry, got sidetracked. Anyway, this girl—her name’s Ryuenji Aya. She’s the president’s granddaughter.”


“Granddaughter!? That’s, like, ultra-VIP status!”


The president of the Japan Dungeon Association was the highest authority in Japan’s dungeon-related affairs.


Ryuenji Keitora himself was an S-rank legend, a superstar with immense wealth, and this was his granddaughter, Aya-san.


“Yep. She graduated high school this year—eighteen, same age as you. She’s earned her adventurer license and wants to enter a dungeon, so they reached out to our guild for an escort. She’s fascinated by magic power and was doing cutting-edge research in high school.”


“I see… That’s a big responsibility.”


“It is. I originally planned to send all B-rank members, but she insisted that’d violate the dungeon point rules… Haha, she’s a real firecracker of a lady. Definitely Keitora’s granddaughter.”


According to Tanaka-san, she demanded the team follow the dungeon point system to the letter.


She wanted to conquer the dungeon herself, not just be babysat.


After some deliberation, they settled on a C-rank dungeon.


Anything above B-rank was too dangerous for a first-timer.


So, per the point system, the team would consist of three upper C-rank members and one B-rank as an escort.


“I’d like you to join them. Honestly, your strength exceeds C-rank now, making you perfect for this. It’s a win-win—you might even get to know the granddaughter. A golden ticket to high society, eh? And she’s a beauty to boot.”


“Haha, got it.”


Tanaka-san’s old-man teasing made me chuckle dryly, but I agreed.


A chance to enter a C-rank dungeon with pros and clear it safely? No reason to say no.


“Oh, right—that granddaughter… Aya-san, was it? What’s her rank?”


Needing an escort, maybe she was D-rank or C-rank?


Then Tanaka-san dropped a bombshell.


“…S-rank… Magic power… 320,000. A total monster.”


“…She doesn’t need an escort, does she?”


The words slipped out before I could stop them.


—.

ToC


Chapter 7

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment