Sword Saint Story: Starting from Zero Attack Power ~After being abandoned by my childhood friend, the princess, I enrolls in a magic school and ends up making a contract with the Demon Lord~ Volume 1 Extra
Extra: Eugene talks with the manager
◇ One Year Ago ◇
“Outstanding work, Eugene-kun! You did a fantastic job cheering up that Demon King!”
After spending the night with Ellie, I was lavishly praised by the Headmaster. On top of that, my tuition was waived—not just for one year, but for my entire time at the academy.
“However, Demon King Erynnis has requested to see you regularly… She seems quite taken with you. How did you manage that? If you don’t mind, I’d love to know your secret.”
“W-Well… I’m not sure why,” I replied awkwardly.
“Hmm… I’m curious, but I’ll ask another time. You must be exhausted today. Go rest in your dorm. Oh, and when you have a moment, there’s a student I’d like you to meet. I’ve prepared a letter of introduction, so visit her at your convenience.”
“Uh… sure, I understand.”
The Headmaster clapped me on the shoulder, and I nodded obediently.
◇
The next day, I found myself standing before a massive circular building behind the academy. The door was labeled “Biology Club – Sixth Sealed Prison.” For reference, the Demon King resided in the “Seventh Sealed Prison.”
I glanced once more at the note attached to the Headmaster’s letter of introduction.
◇ Note ◇
The First through Seventh Sealed Prisons of Lykeion Magic Academy are managed by the Biology Club, which I advise.
For future considerations, I’d like you to join the Biology Club, Eugene-kun. Please inform the club president of your intent to join. This letter of introduction is for that purpose.
The president’s name is Media-kun.
She lives in the Biology Club’s clubhouse within the Sixth Sealed Prison.
Best regards,
Headmaster Uther Mercury Pendragon
I looked up from the letter and sighed.
“Where exactly is this clubhouse?” I muttered.
Inside the Sixth Sealed Prison was a dense jungle. The ground was muddy, and visibility was poor.
…Grrrr…
In the distance, I heard the growl of some enormous creature—probably one of the Biology Club’s pets.
(By the way, what do they keep in the Sixth Sealed Prison?)
The Headmaster hadn’t given me details.
“Oh, you’ll be fine, Eugene-kun. After all, you entered the forbidden Seventh Prison without a hitch! Hahaha!” he’d laughed it off. I regretted not pressing for more information, but it was too late now.
(I should mask my presence.)
Using Barrier Magic, I concealed my aura and ventured deeper into the vast Sixth Prison. The Headmaster’s letter included a simple map indicating the clubhouse’s location.
(Why do I need a map to navigate inside a school building…?)
Once again, I was reminded that this academy was beyond anything I’d experienced. The Imperial Military Academy was large, but this place was on another level.
Thud!!! A massive creature landed nearby. I hadn’t sensed it approaching—it must have descended from above.
(Seriously…?)
I hid behind a nearby tree, holding my breath.
…Hiss hiss hiss hiss…
Just a few spear-lengths away, a gigantic dragon loomed. I slowly backed away.
After walking further, I came across an artificial pond as large as a lake—inside a building, no less. A family of water dragons swam peacefully in it. On the shore, a massive earth dragon basked in the sunlight. Apparently, the building was designed to let in natural light. At this point, even I couldn’t miss it.
(The Sixth Prison is a dragon’s nest!!)
Tell me that beforehand! I cursed the Headmaster’s carelessness.
◇
(F-Finally… I made it…)
When I spotted what looked like the clubhouse, I was utterly exhausted. The Sixth Prison was teeming with dragons. Various species coexisted without territorial disputes, which was odd—dragons typically despise having others nearby. Not that they were docile; I’d seen smaller monsters, likely prey, being torn apart and devoured by their fangs and claws. If they’d spotted me, I’d have been attacked too.
I approached a small brick house. Strangely, despite no visible barriers, none of the dragons came near it.
(Is there some kind of trap…?)
I half-expected a powerful trap spell to activate if I got too close. If that happened, I’d tell the Headmaster I wasn’t joining the Biology Club after all. Fortunately, nothing happened.
I stood before the house’s door.
(…This is…)
Only then did I sense it—something inside possessed immense power. Now I understood why the dragons avoided this place. They couldn’t approach. They were too afraid.
(Is the person inside really human?)
The pressure I felt was comparable to the mythical creatures I’d encountered in the Seventh Sealed Prison.
Knock knock
Hesitantly, I knocked on the door.
“…Headmaster Uther? You’re visiting earlier than usual,” came a surprisingly cute voice from within.
“My name is Eugene. I’m here to join the Biology Club and wanted to introduce myself.”
“…Hmm?”
After stating my name and purpose, I sensed confusion from inside.
“…Did you come alone?”
“Yes, it was quite the journey.”
“Journey? Weren’t you attacked by the dragons?”
“I masked my presence and sneaked through.”
“…Interesting. You’re quite something. Come in, then. The door’s unlocked.”
“Excuse me.”
I turned the doorknob and stepped inside. The house was a mess. Every wall was lined with bookshelves, and the floor was littered with books and documents—all grimoires, it seemed. Was this a mage’s atelier?
Surrounded by mountains of books, a large bed occupied the center of the room, where a petite girl lay.
“Welcome, Eugene-kun. My name is Media.”
She was an enigmatic girl. Fragile-looking, yet Mana and Aura seeped from her body. Just her gaze made me feel like I was being stared down by a massive monster. But clad in a loose, patient-like dress and coughing softly—“cough cough”—she gave the impression of poor health.
“Nice to meet you. I’m Eugene Santafield.”
“Nice to meet you. Ah, sorry, but could you not come any closer?”
“Why’s that?”
“It’s a complicated situation. I’d rather not go into details. Sorry.”
Living in a place like this, there must be a reason. I chose my words carefully, avoiding prying.
“Understood. By the way, you’re the Biology Club’s president, and this is the clubroom, right?”
“Oh, haven’t you been told? As you can see, I’m quite frail. Since I can’t attend classes regularly, I use this clubhouse as my atelier to conduct monster research and earn credits.”
“I see. That makes sense.”
Talking to her, she seemed like nothing more than a sickly girl. What was the source of that overwhelming pressure I’d felt earlier?
“So, you want to join the Biology Club. What kind of Tamer are you?”
“…Huh?”
Her question caught me off guard.
“Hm? The requirement to join the Biology Club is being a Tamer… Didn’t you know?”
“I didn’t.”
Wait, does that mean I don’t qualify?
“Hmm, why did you want to join the Biology Club?”
“The Headmaster told me to. Here’s the letter of introduction.”
I handed Media-san the envelope from the Headmaster. She broke the seal and read it.
“…I see, the Headmaster’s recommendation. He’s so whimsical—must be tough for you, Eugene-kun. Let’s see… ‘Add the condition that one must be able to enter the Seventh Sealed Prison to join the Biology Club’… Wait, what!? Eugene-kun, you can enter the forbidden Sealed Prison!?”
Media-san’s eyes widened.
“Yesterday, I went in with Headmaster Uther. There were a lot of terrifying mythical creatures.”
“Normal people would lose their sanity just stepping inside… I see why the Headmaster took a liking to you… cough cough!”
Her coughing sounded painful.
“Are you alright? If you’re not feeling well today, I can come back another time.”
“Oh, no, no. I’m actually feeling better than usual today. I’m fine.”
This is her feeling better…? Is Media-san suffering from some serious illness?
Suddenly, she doubled over, coughing violently—“hack! cough! cough! cough!”—and spat up blood. Seeing this, I rushed to her side, holding a handkerchief to her mouth and rubbing her back.
In that instant, Media-san’s eyes snapped open.
“I told you not to come closer!!!” she shouted, her voice a near-scream.
“But you’re in no condition to—should I call a doctor?”
“Just get away from me!! I’m cursed. You’ll catch the curse too!”
In a panic, Media-san tried to push me away, but her thin arms were as weak as a child’s.
“A curse?” I asked.
“Yes! I’m under the curse of a Divine Dragon. If you touch me, your skin will rot, your body will seize up, and… wait, nothing’s happening? Eugene-kun, do you feel anything?”
“Now that you mention it, my Barrier Magic did break, but I’ve recast it, so I’m fine.”
At my words, Media-san’s eyes widened again.
“…I see. That’s why the Headmaster sent you alone.”
She let out a sigh and grinned, showing her teeth.
“You pass with flying colors. Welcome to the Biology Club, the oldest club at Lykeion Magic Academy. As president, I warmly welcome you.”
“Thank you. I didn’t know the Biology Club had such a long history.”
I was surprised. With so few members and little fame, I’d assumed it was a recent addition.
“Hehe… The entry requirements are strict. You need approval from both the Headmaster and the president to join.”
“Why is that?”
“Come on, what did you see on your way here? At the very least, we can’t have students who’d get eaten by dragons.”
“Fair point.”
True enough. You can’t have members who’d be attacked by the creatures they’re supposed to care for.
“It seems there’s a lot I need to tell you. Do you have time?”
“I haven’t chosen my classes yet, so I’m free today.”
“Excellent. Then, as someone who’s been at this academy for fifty years, I’ll teach you a thing or two.”
“Fifty years!?”
I was floored.
“Oh, I’m just middle-tier here. Some eccentrics have been enrolled for over a hundred years—elves and dwarves, mostly. They probably have no intention of graduating.”
“But isn’t the tuition a waste?”
“Students who clear the hundredth floor get their tuition waived. Didn’t you know?”
“…Now that you mention it, I think I’ve heard of that rule. So, President Media, you’re an A-rank explorer who’s cleared the hundredth floor? That’s incredible…”
Being an A-rank explorer in the Last Dungeon is the highest honor in the Southern Continent. I looked at the petite girl before me with newfound respect.
“It’s not that big a deal. Every member of the Biology Club has cleared the hundredth floor. You’ll do it too, soon enough.”
“No… I don’t think so. It’s impossible for me.”
A swordsman who can’t attack would struggle to conquer the dungeon. Clearing the hundredth floor is for the chosen few, like those in the Hero Department who excelled in the entrance exams—not someone like me in the General Department.
“You’re an interesting one. Most new students here are brimming with ambition, but you have the eyes of a recluse. Yet, you touched my cursed body without batting an eye, thanks to your Barrier Magic skills. Fascinating. I’ll tell you about the academy, and in return, I’d like to hear about you.”
“…I don’t mind, but it’s not an interesting story.”
“I’ll be the judge of that.”
“Well, I was born in the Eastern Continent…”
“Oh! That war-torn land of strife?”
“My homeland was destroyed, so my father and I fled to the Southern Continent.”
“…That must have been tough.”
She gave me a sympathetic look.
“I was young, so I don’t remember much.”
“That’s for the best. Memories of war do no good.”
President Media spoke with conviction. Perhaps she had her own experiences.
“Also… my family supposedly descends from the ‘Sword Saint.’”
“Oh! The famous Sword Saint of the Eastern Continent, Sieg Walker! The one who, five hundred years ago, brought temporary peace to both the Eastern and Southern Continents alongside the great adventurer Krist.”
“It’s dubious, though. There are hundreds claiming to be descendants of the Sword Saint in the East.”
Our casual conversation continued for a while. Then, President Media taught me about the academy—its events, its rules. By the time we finished, it was late at night.
“I think I’ll turn in now. It’s been a while since I’ve talked this much… cough.”
“Sorry for staying so long. Are you alright?”
“Oh, I had a great time. I’d be happy if you visited again. The other members never come by.”
“That’s pretty heartless of them.”
“Tell me about it. Just because they got nibbled by a dragon or two.”
President Media laughed sadly. …Wait, that’s not okay.
Still, I decided I’d visit this chatty president again. She’s a veteran explorer who’s been at the academy for a long time and has cleared up to the hundredth floor of the Tower of Babel. I wanted to hear more of her stories.
Of course, given her frail appearance, I hadn’t yet grasped how formidable she truly was. In the Southern Continent, being a record holder in the Tower of Babel is the highest honor—especially the top record holders, whose names are in textbooks. Headmaster Uther’s name is, of course, among them. That’s why I was so nervous when he approached me after the entrance exam.
But the petite, sickly girl I’d just spent hours chatting with—President Media of the Biology Club—I should have realized. She’s the tenth-ranked record holder of the Tower of Babel… Media Parker.
It would be a while before I truly understood her greatness.
——.
.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment