Immortal Detective Reidou Momij Volume 4 chapter 3

Arcadia

   Here is the link for drive

---

Toc

Chapter 3: The World Turns Upside Down



December 20th, Noon - Tennai Haruma

​Resting my chin in my hand, I stared out the bullet train window as the scenery whipped by at high speed.

​The bleak, withered vegetation conveyed the harsh chill of winter. The mountains in the distance were sparsely dusted with a coating of white snow.

​"Mmm... this is delicious too."

​While I was soaking in the melancholy of our journey, Reidou was sitting next to me, stuffing her face with a station bento.

​Empty bento boxes were already stacked high on the fold-out tray table in front of her.

​I was used to it by now, but the other passengers were staring in sheer disbelief at how much she was putting away.

​"You're only having one, Haruma-kun?"

​Reidou said that as she popped the lid off her fifth bento. The rich aroma of beef and savory broth wafted through the air.

​Normal people only need one bento... Just how many of these was she planning to devour before we arrived?

​"........."

​Suddenly, Reidou fell silent, her chopsticks hovering over her freshly opened bento.

​"What's wrong?"

​When I asked, Reidou blinked a few times in hesitation. Then, she moved her chopsticks, plucking a piece of the meal.

​She balanced a piece of beef barely smaller than my fingernail on the tips of her chopsticks and brought it toward my mouth.

​"H-Here..."

​Reidou mumbled, looking down slightly but glancing up at me through bashful, upturned eyes.

​...She was trying to feed me. She was doing the whole "say ahh" thing...!

​Ugh, so cute... Doing this with her cheeks faintly flushed makes her exceptionally cute.

​But man, she really is giving me the tiniest portion possible. The piece of meat pinched between her chopsticks was comically small.

​That being said, this might actually be the first time Reidou's done something like this.

​Usually, if I even just looked at her while she was eating, she'd shoot me down with an "I'm not sharing."

​To think she's reached the point where she'll actually give me some of her food... I guess you could say we've gotten a lot closer.

​Her bento-binging was already drawing a ton of unwarranted attention from the surrounding passengers, meaning they were all getting a front-row seat to this couple-like exchange, but as always, she didn't seem to care in the slightest.

​With my heart pounding, I closed my mouth over the tips of her chopsticks and accepted the scrap of meat.

​"Is it good?"

​She asked with a soft, gentle smile... The setup was perfect, but the meat was so small I couldn't actually taste anything. Still, I wasn't boorish enough to say that out loud, so I just nodded as I swallowed.

​Reidou gave a happy little chuckle and went back to eating her bento.

​...Technically, we were taking this trip under the guise of investigating the locked-room mystery surrounding her father's death, but she certainly seemed to be having fun.

​Well, it was entirely possible we'd go home without learning anything at all, so there was no point in being gloomy the whole time.

​Even so, a trip with just the two of us...

​My own heart couldn't help but flutter a bit. To be honest, I was happy and having a great time.

​I turned my gaze back out the window.

​To reiterate... our objective this time was to investigate the circumstances around Reidou's father's death.

​The basement where his body was found had apparently been inside an abandoned cafe.

​But now, that old shop had been demolished, and a hotel stood in its place.

​Since the building had changed entirely, the basement was likely gone too... but if it did still exist, investigating it would bring us closer to the truth.

​Having finished her fifth bento, Reidou spoke to me as I stared out the window.

​"Haruma-kun, what made you decide to investigate my father's case... right now?"

​"I just figured we'd have to solve it eventually."

​When I first met Reidou and got dragged into an incident, she had said...

​That she was searching for a master detective to uncover the truth of her father's death.

​To help her make that wish a reality, I wanted to do whatever I could.

​After all, Reidou had become a very important person to me.

​With school out for winter break, it was the perfect time for a long trip anyway.

​"Besides, there are a few things I've figured out after spending all this time with you."

​"Such as?"

​"...In order to uncover the truth behind this incident, we need to clarify the rules behind the immortality ability."

​Reidou gave a silent nod. This was crucial for her, seeing as she was the one who had inherited that ability.

​"I've come up with a few hypotheses regarding that mystery. But it's not something I can just logic out in my head."

​The mystery of supernatural abilities is an extremely difficult puzzle to solve definitively.

​If we wanted to get closer to the truth, I needed all the information I could get, no matter how small.

​And so, visiting the exact site where her father's body had been discovered in hopes of gleaning some clue... was the true purpose of this investigation.

​...Furthermore, I had a sneaking suspicion that this case was connected to the broader issues surrounding us.

​Following the events of the recent school festival, I strongly felt that was the case.

​Listening to my explanation, Reidou placed a hand over her mouth in a gesture of surprise.

​"And here I thought... you just suggested it because winter break started and you wanted us to go on a trip together."

​"I-If that were it, I'd have picked a different destination...!"

​"Hehe, I'm only joking. I'd love to travel to all sorts of places with you in the future, but since we're already here, let's make sure we enjoy this trip too."

​Having successfully teased me, Reidou flashed a mischievous grin.

​The way she casually slipped in "in the future"... That's just playing dirty! Or so I thought.

​Seeing her act like this, it seemed she really wasn't opposed to staying at the very place where she had found her father's dead body... even if the building itself had changed. It was a sensitive issue, and I was fully prepared to call the whole thing off if she had even the slightest reservation, but I was glad my worries had been unfounded.

​"By the way, what are the dinner arrangements at the hotel?"

​Reidou suddenly brought that up. We literally just finished our lunch bentos, and she's already talking about dinner...

​"Uh, let's see..."

​I pulled out my smartphone and opened the website for our destination, the Nouvelle Vague hotel.

​Checking the amenities page, it looked like dinner was served buffet-style. The site boasted about the cuisine being prepared by top-tier chefs who had previously worked at three-star restaurants, yadda yadda...

​"Buffet... top-tier chefs... three stars..."

​When I showed Reidou the screen, she was already practically drooling from the corner of her mouth.

​With a buffet-style setup, I was genuinely scared she was going to eat them out of house and home...

​Scrolling further down the page, I found a section detailing their hot springs.

​They apparently boasted a spacious, open-air rock bath. It listed a bunch of stuff about the natural ingredients and the healing properties of the water.

​It sounded super relaxing. Something to look forward to.

​"Looks like a great way to unwind..."

​I mumbled that as I scrolled, accidentally stopping right on the section detailing the mixed bathing options.

​In addition to the standard men's and women's baths, they had a similar open-air bath where men and women could bathe together.

​I heard those were becoming increasingly rare these days... For a hotel this new to have a mixed bath was pretty unusual.

​You could apparently reserve it for private use during specific time slots, so it was probably meant for families.

​"—?!"

​Perhaps assuming I had deliberately stopped scrolling on the mixed bath section, Reidou's eyes went wide with shock.

​"D-Do you want to go in... together?!"

​Her face flushed bright red as she looked at me, trembling.

​...What do I do? If you ask me whether I want to, I can't exactly deny it.

​If I actually said yes, what would she do?

​Before I could answer, Reidou looked away and mumbled under her breath.

​"................I-I can't... not yet..."

Not yet, she says... Dore...!

​About an hour passed, and the bullet train arrived at the station closest to our hotel.

​We wheeled our suitcases through the ticket gates together. Perhaps because we were out in the suburbs, there was very little foot or car traffic. It was quite desolate.

​Bundled up in her scarf, Reidou blew out a puff of white breath, surveying the area with deep emotion.

​"Feeling nostalgic?"

​"Nostalgic... Rather than anything deeply emotional, it feels more like memories are being excavated. I've only been here once, eight years ago."

​Reidou had told me she came here with a man named Tonogai and Elaine. She really hadn't returned a single time since she found her father's dead body.

​Now then... a quick taxi ride from here and we'd be at the hotel.

​As we stepped out of the station and looked around, a woman's voice suddenly called out from behind us.

​"Oh? Reidou-san?"

​Hearing her name, Reidou and I both turned around.

​Standing there was a woman with distinct red hair—Tsubaki Aika-san.

​"Tsubaki-san...! What a coincidence running into you here."

​"Right?! Such a crazy coincidence!"

​Beaming with a smile as bright as a blooming flower, Tsubaki-san took Reidou's hands in hers.

​...Tsubaki Aika-san was a woman who worked at an apparel shop.

​Apparently, she and Reidou had met while shopping at a department store.

​And... she was one of her few friends who also possessed a supernatural ability.

​She was wearing a beige coat and pulling a suitcase, just like us.

​"Are you on a trip as well, Tsubaki-san?"

​At Reidou's question, Tsubaki-san scratched her cheek as she answered.

​"Ah, nah, my folks' place is actually around here..."

​She averted her eyes, answering with a subtle awkwardness. Did she not want to visit her family home?

​Flipping the script, Tsubaki-san looked at our outfits and our suitcases, giving us a teasing grin.

​"So you two are on a couple's trip, huh? Pretty fast-paced for kids your age."

​"W-Well..."

​Reidou bashfully confirmed it.

​I didn't mention the part about us investigating a case... but I did explain that we were staying at the Nouvelle Vague hotel.

​"Oh, that new hotel! It's super huge, right?"

​Tsubaki-san put a hand to her chin, humming thoughtfully.

​After a moment, she looked at Reidou and spoke slowly.

​"...Maybe I'll stay there too."

​Eh...? That was unexpected. Where was this coming from?

​Confused just like I was, Reidou asked her.

​"Aren't you going to your parents' house?"

​"Hmm, well, a lot's going on, so it's a bit awkward, you could say."

​Judging from her earlier reaction, she really must have some sort of rift with her family.

​To go out of your way to travel home, only to stay at a local hotel instead... that must require a pretty heavy reason...

​"If I'm not intruding, mind if I tag along? If there aren't any rooms available, I'll just give up."

​Hearing that, Reidou looked at me, and I gave a silent nod back. Well, there shouldn't be any issues.

​When we agreed, Tsubaki-san literally jumped for joy, cheering, "Yay!"

​Just how much did she despise her parents' place...?

​Tsubaki-san let go of her suitcase and held out her right hand to me.

​"I don't think we've ever properly talked before, Tennai-kun. Nice to officially meet you!"

​"Nice to meet you too."

​I returned her handshake. Her hand was slender and cold.

​Her nails were painted a cool color, giving her a very mature vibe.

​"I've heard all about you from Reidou-san..."

​Tsubaki-san said that, grinning at me like she was looking at something endearing.

What exactly did she say about me? I shot a quick glance over at Reidou.

​Catching my eye, Reidou averted her gaze.

​"Well, um... we had a little girl talk at the cafe..."

​W-What the heck did you talk about...?!

After chatting a bit, ​we hailed a taxi and all three of us piled in.

​I gave the driver our destination, and the car set off.

​Reidou and Tsubaki-san—along with Calvin's bodyguard, Mitaka—were apparently close enough to hang out on their days off, so they had a lively, bouncing conversation during the ride.

​...Reidou might actually have more friends than I do... Feeling a little lonely at the thought, I stared out the window just like I had on the bullet train.

​There was a decent number of buildings and restaurants. The foot traffic wasn't as dense as in the city, but it wasn't quiet enough to be called the countryside either. It seemed like a pretty nice place.

​After a while, we arrived at our destination.

​We got out of the taxi at the porte-cochรจre and looked up at the hotel's exterior.

​It was a tall building with countless windows lined up like the joints in a tiled floor, easily over ten stories high. It seemed to have a courtyard, and the sheer size of the grounds, coupled with how new it was, gave the hotel an undeniable air of luxury.

​The hotel's name, Nouvelle Vague, supposedly meant "New Wave" in French.

​"Wow, what a classy vibe."

​Tsubaki-san shielded her eyes with her hand like a visor as she looked up at the hotel. Beside her, Reidou spoke up.

​"...Come to think of it, Tsubaki-san, are you alright on money? You bought more clothes just the other day, aren't you completely broke...?"

​It seemed Tsubaki-san was notoriously loose with her wallet when it came to clothes, leaving her perpetually strapped for cash.

​Calling her a miser might be going too far, but she was rather stingy with everything that wasn't apparel.

​Knowing those habits, Reidou seemed genuinely worried about her finances...

​"I'm gonna squeeze the hotel fee out of my parents, so it's all good!"

​Tsubaki-san replied with absolute confidence. Since she was technically back in her hometown, she apparently planned to extort the money under the guise of them paying for her accommodations while visiting.

​Honestly, I had to question the morality of that, but hey, if that works for her family, whatever...

​Pulling myself together, we passed through the automatic doors and entered the hotel lobby.

​It was a vast space with a grand chandelier hanging from the ceiling, dotted with several sofas and glass tables. The area exuded a calm, sophisticated luxury.

​Both Reidou and Tsubaki-san were incredibly gorgeous women, so they didn't look out of place here at all. If anything, they were drawing stares.

​I, on the other hand, felt like the only kid in the room, sticking out like a sore thumb... Though maybe I was just overthinking it...

​"Well then, shall we check in? We need to confirm if there's a room available for you as well, Tsubaki-san."

​Saying that, Reidou briskly walked over to the reception desk. Tsubaki-san and I trailed behind her.

​Fortunately, it seemed they had vacancies, so Reidou and Tsubaki-san began their respective check-in procedures.

​Left with nothing to do, I aimlessly scanned the lobby.

​The first thing to catch my eye was the massive aquarium sitting in the center of the room.

​It was a gigantic cylinder filled with clear blue water, inside of which vibrantly colored fish were swimming gracefully.

​This giant cylindrical aquarium was the hotel's main attraction, towering high as it apparently pierced vertically through over ten floors. It was a spectacular symbol for the hotel, unlike anything I had ever seen before.

​Taking my eyes off the aquarium, I noticed a small crowd had formed nearby.

​"Whoaaa! Seriously?!"

​From the center of the crowd, I could hear a man shouting.

​Two people were sitting and talking, with onlookers gathered around them.

​Did something happen...?

​It looked like Reidou and Tsubaki-san's check-in would take a bit longer, so driven by mild curiosity, I wandered over.

​...Sitting there was a face I recognized.

​"Wha..."

​The voice leaked right out of me. It was someone I never in a million years imagined I'd run into at a place like this.

​"Oh? Hey, you... You're Tennai, right!"

​He noticed me too, flashing a wide grin as he obnoxiously shouted my name.

​This man's name was Mito... A member of the Suruga Group, and the guy who abducted Miyagawa during the school festival.

​He was an ability user, and though we ended up fighting, I managed to scrape together a plan and beat him.

​"What a crazy coincidence, man!"

​Spotting me, Mito shot up from the sofa, stomped over, and way too familiarly threw an arm around my shoulder.

​Frankly speaking, we were definitely not on "throw an arm around your shoulder" terms.

​Acting like a complete stranger, I silently brushed his arm off me.

​"............"

​"The hell, man, don't be so cold! I ain't lookin' to pick a fight with you anymore!"

​Even if that was true, it wasn't like we were buddies now...

​As I stood there, totally lost for what to do, Reidou finished at the front desk and walked over, looking surprised when she saw Mito's face.

​"Haruma-kun, is that..."

​"Oh, hey! You're the little missy who was riding on the back of the bike."

Missy who was riding on the back of the bike... Right, because Reidou was sitting on the back of the motorcycle when we chased down the car Mito was driving.

​Hearing Mito's words, Reidou seemed to confirm he was the man from back then.

​"So you are from the Suruga Group."

​"I already bounced from the Suruga Group. My boss, Nokogiri-san, got busted, see."

​I had heard from Giorgio-san that the mastermind behind Miyagawa's abduction at the festival... Nokogiri Heito, had been forced to take the fall for everything and was handed over to the police, discarded like a lizard dropping its tail.

​Well, I don't know much about all those dealings between the yakuza and the cops, but...

​Mito just kept blabbing on and on about things nobody asked about.

​"Normally, leaving the family ain't so simple, but with all the chaos, I slipped right out. Obviously I couldn't stick around my old turf no more, so I've just been wanderin' all over the country."

​Basically, he was desperately trying to emphasize that he was a clean civilian now. Even so, he still wasn't the kind of person I really wanted to associate with.

​"Well then..."

​I tried to cut the conversation short and leave the area... but Mito called out to stop me.

​"Ah, hold up. Why don't you get your fortune read too?"

​"My fortune...?"

​"This chick is scary accurate, it's wild."

​Looking at the table where Mito had just been sitting, I saw a woman dressed in a dark-colored one-piece sitting opposite him.

​She had a white lace veil draped over her head—definitely looking the part of a fortune teller.

​Her eyes were almost completely hidden by her bangs, and she had a slender, almost frail presence about her. And more than anything, her most striking feature was... the X-mark over her mouth.



​It looked like two strips of white tape stuck in a cross shape.

​It looked kind of like the way they draw bandages in manga when someone gets hurt.

"The young man over there as well. Please."

​As I stared at the woman, a mechanical voice rang out from somewhere.

"Right this way."

​Once again, a high-pitched, feminine mechanical voice.

​...It seemed to be playing from the smartphone she was holding in her hand.

"I was born unable to produce a voice. If I do this, it makes it obvious at a glance that I cannot speak, yes?"

​Perhaps sensing my confusion, she explained why she was communicating through a synthesized voice.

​It was true that having an X-mark over your mouth made it instantly clear you couldn't talk. It made logical sense, but it sure was a bizarre look.

​As I hesitated, Reidou called out from behind me.

​"We have some time to kill, so why not give it a try? I'm actually a little curious myself."

​If Reidou was telling me to do it... I muttered, "Well, since we're here," and took the seat, switching places with Mito.

"My name is Showatari Tsubasa. A pleasure to make your acquaintance."

​"I'm Tennai Haruma."

​We finished our introductions staring at each other across the glass table. Showatari-san's eyes were hidden by her bangs, so I couldn't quite see where she was looking.

​With Reidou and a small gallery of onlookers watching, the reading began.

"Now then, lower your head here."

​"My head...? Like this?"

​Showatari-san extended her right hand toward me, so I leaned forward and bowed my head to meet it. It kinda felt like I was apologizing to her.

​Using her left hand, Showatari-san tapped on the smartphone that had been producing the mechanical voice, and strange music began to play.

​It sounded vaguely tribal—wooden instruments tapping away with some mysterious voice chanting Aiyai aiyai yeh in the background.

​The mood of the track definitely gave off a spiritual, fortune-telling vibe, but the fact that she was blasting it from a smartphone felt hilariously modern.

​Placing the phone on the table, Showatari-san lightly touched my head with her extended right hand.

​"............"

​For a while, the silence was only broken by the bizarre music.

​By touching my head, she was reading something from me... Was this just part of the performance?

​No, calling it a "performance" when sitting down for a fortune telling might be too cynical.

​Supernatural abilities existed in this world, after all, so it wouldn't be all that strange if real fortune-telling existed too.

"What floor is your room on?"

​Showatari-san suddenly directed a question at me. If I remember correctly, the room Reidou checked us into was...

​"The fourth floor."

​When I answered, another stretch of silence followed.

​About a minute passed before Showatari-san finally pulled her hand away from my head.

"...I have a general understanding. You may raise your head."

​The synthesized voice instructed. Doing as I was told, I lifted my head.

​Now, what kind of reading was she going to give me?

​Without missing a beat, Showatari-san began delivering the results.

"Your destiny carries the scent of chocolate. Most likely, it is tied to your date of birth."

​"...!"

​My eyes snapped wide open, and the shock of her nailing it spot-on made the hair on my arms stand up.

​...Showatari-san's words were a bit roundabout, but entirely accurate.

​My birthday was February 14th, Valentine's Day.

​When I honestly admitted as much, the surrounding crowd erupted in cheers.

​"Whoa, awesome!" "I knew she was the real deal!" "So this is a real psychic," they murmured to one another.

​Even from my perspective, the only word I had for it was amazing.

​I had heard that fortune tellers heavily relied on the Barnum effect... saying vague things that could apply to anyone to make it seem like they've accurately read you.

​However, "a birthday connected to chocolate" was incredibly specific.

​Sure, if you included dates related to candy companies or specific product releases, you could probably find an endless number of them, but the most obvious one that instantly springs to mind is Valentine's Day.

​Standing behind me, Reidou was surprised for an entirely different reason.

​"Your birthday is on Valentine's Day, Haruma-kun?"

​"Ugh... yeah."

​".........Understood."

​Reidou nodded, looking like she had just made a very important note of that.

​...I had completely accidentally exposed my birthday!

​I figured she'd find out eventually, but telling someone your birthday is Valentine's Day just makes it sound like you're subtly begging for chocolate. It's embarrassing... I never thought I'd get found out here, of all places...

​Showatari-san continued with her reading.

"Furthermore, you possess a special ability that no one else has."

​"............!"

​Having just had my birthday guessed, those words pierced me like a physical shock.

​My entire body stiffened involuntarily.

​If you asked me whether I had a special ability, the honest answer was absolutely yes. I possessed the supernatural ability to rewind time.

​Wait, was this the Barnum effect? The definition of "a special ability" could mean completely different things depending on the person, after all...

"...You know things that you should not possibly be able to know..."

​Right as Showatari-san delivered that final line to my frozen form, a deep, booming voice suddenly echoed from behind me.

​"IF YOU'D LIKE!! JUST A CUP OF TEA!!"

​That voice... It was Mito. What the hell was he doing after making me sit down here?

​When I turned around, I found Mito aggressively hitting on Tsubaki-san.

​...He's picking up chicks?!

​"Ah, sorry, I'm here with my friends today—"

​Tsubaki-san looked utterly exhausted, trying her best to casually brush him off.

​This wasn't good... Mito had tattoos inked all over his body, and looked like a total thug. Getting hit on by a guy like that would be absolutely terrifying.

​I hurriedly stood up. But before I could do anything, Reidou stepped in and firmly placed a hand on Mito's shoulder.

​"She is my companion. Please stop."

​Startled, Mito spun around and scowled suspiciously when he saw Reidou's face.

​"Huh? Missy, ain't you Tennai's—"

​I shoved myself right between Reidou and Mito, shooting him a glare.

​"They're both my companions. Knock it off."

​When I stated it that bluntly, Mito looked utterly bewildered.

​Looking incredibly awkward, he averted his eyes and dropped his voice.

​"...Ah, my bad. Guess I came on a little too strong out of nowhere."

​He turned back to Tsubaki-san and bowed his head.

​"I'm very sorry."

​He apologized clearly, presenting the back of his head to her. ...It was surprisingly sincere.

​Tsubaki-san was clearly caught off guard as well, waving both hands in a panic.

​"E-Erm, well, it's not like I'm super bothered by it, so it's fine!"

​Hearing Tsubaki-san's response, Mito raised his head and smoothly stepped back.

​It looked like he really was going to back down.

​Or so I thought, right up until he threw his arm around my shoulder again.

​"...By the way, Tennai-kun, what say we hit the hot springs together after this?"

​W-What an obnoxious way to interact... I was glad he didn't relentlessly pursue Tsubaki-san, but it's not like we're buddies either. What is his deal?

​Was he secretly scheming to cozy up to me so he could get closer to Tsubaki-san?

​"...You're an ex-Yakuza. You probably aren't even allowed in the baths, are you?"

​"Ah, crap, you're right!"

​Large public baths typically banned anyone with tattoos from entering.

​Well, at least I wouldn't have Mito tailing me all the way into the bath. That was a relief.

​Watching my exchange with Mito, Tsubaki-san cupped her hand over her mouth, whispering to Reidou.

​"Are Tennai-kun and that guy close friends?"

​"I'm fairly certain that is not the case..."

​...In the end, Mito's pick-up attempt effectively put a stop to my reading.

​Showatari-san was also staying at this hotel, and it seemed she went back to her room.

​We picked up our room keys from the front desk and left the lobby. Mito was enthusiastically waving to Tsubaki-san right up until the very end.

​We wheeled our suitcases down the hotel corridor, its floors lined with pristine white tiles.

​"Tsubaki-san, it seems that man fell for you at first sight. How impressive."

​When Reidou smiled and said that, Tsubaki-san blushed shyly.

​"Hehehe. I think you're way cuter than I am, though, Reidou-san."

​Despite what she said, Tsubaki-san looked immensely flattered.

​Well, even if the guy was Mito, having a guy swoon over you still gives you a little ego boost.

​To Tsubaki-san, Reidou simply replied...

​"You have a much more mature, beautiful aura, Tsubaki-san. I'm just... a high school girl."

​...giving her an inexplicably smug look as she did.

​"Y-Yeah."

​Hey now, even Tsubaki-san is forcing a dry smile at that...

​Tsubaki-san was, after all, fully aware of Reidou's supernatural ability and her true, much older age.

​After a bit of walking and idle chatter, we arrived at the room Reidou and I were staying in.

​"This is our room."

​"I'll catch ya guys later, then!"

​We were on the fourth floor, while Tsubaki-san's room was apparently up on the thirteenth.

​Tsubaki-san gave us a wave and headed toward the elevators.

​Just as she was leaving, her eyes suddenly met mine. Flashing a quick wink, she gave me a big thumbs-up with her right hand.

​My heart gave a massive jolt. Completely oblivious, Reidou hummed to herself as she slid the key into the door.

​...From Tsubaki-san's perspective, a young man and woman were staying in the exact same room... It made perfect sense that she'd poke fun at us like that.

​Well, even so.

​Tsubaki-san probably didn't know this, but Reidou and I frequently hung out in each other's bedrooms back home, so this shouldn't feel all that different from our usual daily life... right?

​Repeating that to myself like a mantra, I followed Reidou into our hotel room.

​The room was a beautiful fusion of Japanese and Western styles.

​There was a space with wooden flooring and a sofa, which led to a slightly raised section sectioned off by sliding fusuma doors that hid a traditional tatami mat room. And of course, there was a bathroom, sink, and toilet as well.

​"Whoa... I've never seen anything quite like this before."

​The combination of both Japanese and Western styles. It felt genuinely special, which I loved.

​Thanks to it being a brand new facility, the room was exceptionally clean.

​I sat down on the leather sofa and sank into its perfect, comfortable bounce. I felt like I could fall asleep right there.

​Looking toward the Japanese-style room, I noticed two futons already laid out with a respectable gap between them. So that area was functioning as the bedroom.

​"Haruma-kun. I know we just got here, but do you mind if I go take a bath right away?"

​Having taken off her coat and placed her luggage in the corner, Reidou turned around to face me.

​Without her outerwear, she was wearing a tight turtleneck that suited her so perfectly I almost wanted to thank God. Masking my inner turmoil, I replied with practiced nonchalance.

​"Already? You must've really been looking forward to it."

​Arriving at an inn and immediately hitting the hot springs before dinner... I suppose that was a pretty standard routine.

​Looking embarrassed, Reidou fidgeted, tapping her index fingers together as her eyes darted around.

​"There are far fewer people earlier in the day... I do enjoy hot springs, but I still get incredibly embarrassed about it..."

​Ah, right. Reidou was super self-conscious about her stomach and her legs, so she hated being seen naked, even by other women.

​Considering it was physically impossible for her not to draw stares... it made perfect sense that she wanted to avoid peak hours.

​"We have plenty of time until dinner, so go ahead and relax. I'll just be lounging around in here."

​"I'll be off, then!"

​When I answered, stretching out on the sofa, Reidou quickly got her things together and hurried out of the room.

​...Now then, before I actually start relaxing, I shouldn't forget our main objective.

​Following right behind Reidou, I slipped out of the room.


"A basement? Hmm, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that."

​The friendly female staff member at the front desk answered flatly.

​I had asked if this hotel had a basement, but it seemed nothing of the sort existed.

​She replied instantly, without even a moment's hesitation.

​"Umm, well, I heard there was one before this hotel was built..."

​"We wouldn't know anything regarding the construction phase... I'm very sorry."

​She bowed her head apologetically, prompting me to frantically wave my hands and say, "No, it's fine."

​It wasn't a question she could have possibly anticipated, so it was only natural she had trouble answering.

​The staff member placed a finger on her cheek, humming thoughtfully.

​"I don't think anyone else here would know either... Oh, but the manager might."

​"Would it be possible to speak with the manager...?"

​"I believe he's away on a business trip this week. I'm so very sorry."

​In other words, there was no one currently at this hotel who knew anything about the basement.

​Was the investigation over before it even began...? At this rate, it would just turn into a regular vacation.

​I thanked the staff member and decided to wander aimlessly around the first floor.

​...I walked around for a while, but I couldn't find a single hallway, set of stairs, or anything else leading down to a basement.

​Naturally, there was no indication of a subterranean level in the elevators or on the hotel's floor maps either.

​"Man, stumbling right out of the gate, huh."

​...To begin with, when a building is completely rebuilt, it's more common for the original basement to be filled in or destroyed.

​Was completely unraveling the locked-room mystery of Reidou's father really impossible...?

​As I strolled around lost in thought, a voice called out to me from behind.

​"Hey buddy, couldn't help but overhear ya."

​It was a low, hoarse voice, sounding exactly like a middle-aged man who had drowned himself in liquor.

​Suspicious, I turned around to find a single man standing there.

​In stark contrast to his age-worn voice, he had a very sweet, handsome face. His eyes were sharp and clear, his nose was high, and his skin was flawless. The navy blue shirt he wore—from the brand Vivant—suited him perfectly.

​...He had broad shoulders and a fairly solid build, but his slight slouch was a bit distracting.

​"Overhear...? You mean my conversation with the front desk?"

​"Yeah, that's the one. Somethin' about a basement, right? I've got real good ears."

​The Vivant guy said that as he dug a deeply wrinkled pinky finger into his ear.

​What is with this guy...? His face alone was handsome, but absolutely everything else about him screamed "middle-aged man."

​"I mean, yes, I was talking about that..."

​"So, even though they told ya there ain't no basement, you're still wanderin' around lookin' for it."

​He wasn't wrong, but I found his phrasing a bit irritating.

​Just who was this guy?

​Perhaps noticing my furrowed brow, the man offered a placating chop of his hand in apology.

​"My bad, my bad. Just got a little curious why you'd be doin' somethin' like that. Normal folks don't go lookin' for hotel basements, y'know."

​"............"

​I hesitated, unsure of how to answer.

​He was an incredibly sketchy guy, and I had no intention of telling him the real reason I was looking for the basement.

​There was no point in telling him someone had died down there... It was a sensitive issue. I decided to just feed him a believable lie.

​"...I read a novel a little while ago where the hotel had a secret basement, so I was just exploring to see if I could find one here."

​"Huh. Is that so."

​The Vivant guy offered a half-hearted nod, then turned on his heel, showing me his back.

​"Well, whatever. If ya do end up findin' it, be sure to let me know."

​With a quick "See ya," the man walked away.

​...What a weirdo. He called out to me out of nowhere, and in the end, I didn't even get his name.

​I continued my stroll after parting ways with the strange man, only to hear another familiar voice.

​"Whoaaa! I lost again!"

​"Ahaha! You're so weak, mister!"

​A deep, booming voice, followed by the innocent laughter of young children.

​It was coming from the kids' play area on the first floor.

​Gathered there were several kids, along with... Mito, and Tsubaki-san.

​...What kind of combination is that?

​The completely unexpected sight threw my brain into chaos.

​They had just had a rather tense interaction in the lobby, so why were those two together now?

​"I'm gonna play with the missy!"

​"Oh? Then you better help me win~"

​An innocent child hugged Tsubaki-san and climbed onto her lap.

​It looked like they were all playing a Balance Tower game together.

​The kids giggled and cheered at Mito suffering a crushing defeat.

​As I stood there completely dumbfounded, Tsubaki-san noticed me and waved.

​"Yoo-hoo, Tennai-kun."

​I approached the group, looking between Mito and the kids who were having an absolute blast together.

​"Y-You guys sure got close fast."

​"I just happened to be walking by, and Mito-kun looked like he was having so much fun playing with the kids. So I asked to join in!"

​Tsubaki-san answered with an open, completely carefree smile.

​The way Mito brought himself down to the children's eye level to talk to them was the picture of a good-natured guy.

​He didn't scare them in the slightest; in fact, he had built the kind of dynamic where the kids felt totally comfortable playfully teasing him.

​...Mito was really good with kids. Despite his intimidating exterior, it must be some kind of talent.

​Seeing this side of him made me think he might not be a totally bad guy... but the fact that he actually kidnapped Miyagawa made it hard to completely write off. He was still a criminal, after all.

​While playfully bickering with the kids, Mito struck up a conversation with me.

​"Yo, Kyoudai. You headin' to the baths now or what?"

Who are you calling Kyoudai?

​"No, I'm not... Why do you ask?"

​I was completely empty-handed, carrying neither a towel nor a change of clothes.

​What made him think I was going to the baths?

​Seeing my confusion, Mito looked equally perplexed.

​"Huh? I just saw that missy you're with head into the mixed bath... Figured you two were gonna sneak in there together."

​"Sneak in there" isn't exactly a phrase you hear every day... Wait, never mind that.

​"Reidou went into... the mixed bath...?!"

​December 20th, 16:00 - Reidou Momiji

​I ducked under the noren curtains and stepped into the changing room.

​The pleasant scent of cypress mingled with sulfur tickled my nose, filling me with a liberating sensation, like standing in a sunlit forest.

​I scanned the changing area with its vanity spaces and rows of lockers, but there wasn't a single person in sight. It was completely empty.

​I even opened the sliding door leading to the hot spring to check, but there was no one out there either.

​Which meant, right now, I had the place entirely to myself...! Choosing an off-peak hour had definitely been the right call.

​...It wasn't as if I'd panic and bolt if there were other customers, but having my bare body seen by anyone, even other women, was deeply embarrassing.

​Not wanting to waste this precious solitary time, I quickly stripped off my clothes and wrapped a towel around myself.

​...Even wrapped in a towel, it wasn't long enough to hide my rear...

​Thinking about how I could never let anyone see me like this, I stepped out of the changing room and into the open air.

​Before me lay a hot spring entirely enclosed by natural rocks.

​The basin was filled with cloudy water that emanated a wonderful aroma.

​Due to the chilly outdoor temperature, thick steam rose from the surface, drifting lazily whenever the wind blew.

​It was the quintessential open-air bath... absolutely breathtaking. The distant, rhythmic clack of a bamboo water feature added an elegant, traditional flair.

​Located on the fourteenth floor of the hotel, the view was spectacular as well.

​I removed my towel, placing it on the edge of the bath, and used a wooden bucket to pour warm water over myself.

​I slowly stepped into the hot spring, starting from my toes. A deep warmth that seemed to resonate into my very core began to gradually spread through me.

​"Phew..."

​Submerging myself up to my shoulders, I let out a long sigh.

​Absolute paradise. Because of my immortality, my body never falls out of condition, but being enveloped in the minerals of a hot spring still felt incredibly heavenly.

​It felt as though the warmth was circulating through my blood vessels, untangling every knot and melting away all the unnecessary tension...

​Ahhh... Hot springs are the best...

​Taking a deep breath, the crisp winter air filled my lungs.

​The sun set early this time of year, and looking up, the sky was already painted in a beautiful gradient of light and shadow.

​"............"

​I slowly lowered my gaze from the sky, sinking deeper into the water...

​Right as my mind was on the verge of melting away, I noticed it.

​A plaque explaining the minerals and health benefits of the hot spring was mounted on the wall.

​And right next to it was a list of rules.

​It read, "Rules for the Mixed Bath".

​...Huh?

​Because my brain was half-melted, I almost glossed right over it. But no.

​It was stated clearly and unequivocally.

​This was the mixed bath.

​"Hnnngh?!"

​My expression contorted into a bizarre grimace of pure bewilderment as the blood drained entirely from my face.

​Could it be... No, there was no mistaking it.

​I had accidentally walked into the mixed bath...!

​I must have been so giddy at the prospect of my first hot spring in a while that I misread the sign at the entrance.

​If this was a mixed bath, that meant... a man could walk in at any second, and we'd be face-to-face, completely naked.

​This is bad. This is incredibly bad.

​I've been in a few tight spots before, but this was the greatest crisis of my entire life.

​Regardless, I needed to get out of here immediately. I snatched my towel off the edge of the tub and frantically stood up, splashing water everywhere.

​However... just as I was about to climb out, I heard the clatter of the door from the changing room.

​"!!!"

​I immediately bent my knees, dropping back into the water to hide.

​The sound of the sliding door. Someone had entered the changing room.

​If I went to the changing room to leave now, I would run right into them.

​This was a genuinely critical situation. If they came out to the open-air bath while I was like this, I was doomed...

​I considered wrapping my towel around myself and making a mad dash for it, but the bath towel was too short to cover my backside. They would inevitably see me.

​Desperate to hide even a fraction of myself, I waded to the far end of the bath and pressed myself against a large rock.

​...The rock was too small. I wasn't hidden at all.

​It's over, it's all over, I'm completely doomed...

Clatter. The sliding door opened again. They must have undressed and stepped outside.

​I turned my back to the sound, hugging my shoulders as I trembled violently.

​Behind me, the sound of splashing water. They had entered the bath.

Ugh, what do I do if it's some strange man?

​This was hopeless. The absolute worst-case scenario.

​Why did this have to happen to me... Ah, I'm actually tearing up...

Splish, splash. I could feel the ripples in the water as they waded closer to me. I curled up as tight as I could, bringing my knees to my chest underwater.

It's over, everything is over... Just as I surrendered to my fate—

​"Reidou-san, are you okay?"

​The voice that reached my ears belonged to a crystal-clear woman.

​".........Tsubaki-san?!"

​When I snapped my head around, Tsubaki Aika-san was standing there.

​She was looking down curiously at me as I cowered behind the rock, using her towel to cover her front.

​I let out a massive sigh of relief. While my panic subsided, my brain immediately switched gears.

​"This is a mixed bath. We need to leave right now...!"

​It was a blessing that Tsubaki-san was the one who walked in, but that didn't change the fact that anyone else could enter at any moment.

​Knowing we had to get out, I stood up from the water and grabbed Tsubaki-san's hand.

​But Tsubaki-san didn't budge. Instead, she flashed a bright smile.

​"It's totally fine."

​"...Eh?"

​"Tennai-kun actually rented this bath out privately, so nobody else is gonna come in."

​"P-Privately rented..."

​The moment I realized no one else would come in, all the strength left my legs and I slumped down.

​I sank back into the warm water of the bath.

​"I was asked to go check on you... so I figured I'd take advantage of the free private bath while I'm at it♪"

Hehehe, Tsubaki-san laughed, the corners of her mouth curling up into a greedy grin.

​The word "free" really seemed to strike a chord with her.

​According to her, Mito-san had seen me accidentally enter the mixed bath. When Haruma-kun heard about it, he immediately rushed to the front desk and booked it for private use.

​...Haruma-kun can be surprisingly bold at times. Moreover, sending Tsubaki-san in instead of coming himself showed a great deal of consideration.

​"So yeah, let's just take our time and relax!"

​"R-Right... phew."

​Because I had been fully submerged trying to hide, I was starting to feel a little lightheaded from the heat.

​I sat on the edge of the tub, letting the cool breeze wash over my heated body as I took a breather.

​"...Whoa, you really are stacked..."

​Seeing my figure fully exposed now that I was sitting up, Tsubaki-san muttered that with flushed cheeks.

​I had a pretty good idea of exactly where she was looking when she said that, but...

​"Oops, sorry. You hate having people look at you, right?"

​"Well, I imagine you already know all my measurements, Tsubaki-san... so please, don't worry about it."

​Whenever we hung out on our days off, we frequently tried on clothes together.

​Since she had taken my measurements during those times, she already knew my exact proportions.

​As a bathing companion, she was probably the person I felt the most comfortable with. Thinking of it that way put my mind at ease.

​"Gotcha, gotcha. As long as you don't mind, I'm glad~"

​Saying that, Tsubaki-san stretched her arms and back, letting out a deep, relaxed sigh.

​"Phew..."

​Beads of sweat trickled down her cheeks as she soaked in the water.

​She possessed such a translucent beauty and mature allure that simply staring at her took my breath away.

​"You really are beautiful, Tsubaki-san..."

​"Y-You don't have to say it so solemnly!"

​Unlike me, she was slender, exuding a tall and stylish aura.

​Her mature features, punctuated by a small beauty mark near her mouth, gave her a bewitching charm.

​There were countless things to praise about her. I couldn't help but admire her...

​"Well, I put in my own kind of effort, so hearing you say that makes me really happy."

​Though she was being modest, she laughed, clearly delighted.

​If her beauty was the result of hard work, that made it all the more impressive.

​Looking up at the darkening sky where the first stars were beginning to twinkle, Tsubaki-san murmured softly.

​"...My little sister, she was just, like, sooo incredibly cute."

​"Your sister... you mean..."

​Tsubaki-san's younger sister... I believe her name was Hime-san.

​She had worked at a cafe but was caught up in an incident and passed away.

​I had only seen her face once, but I remember thinking she was indeed very cute.

​"I used to be way fatter than I am now, and I didn't care about my hair or my clothes at all... I was super uncool."

​"I can't even imagine that now."

​"As we got older, I started getting really self-conscious about standing next to her... So I worked my butt off to try and get even a little bit closer to her level."

​Tsubaki-san reached her slender, pale arm up toward the night sky, spreading her fingers.

​I looked up to someone like Tsubaki-san, but for Tsubaki-san, Hime-san was the one she admired. I see.

​...I wish I could have gotten to know Hime-san better.

​If she were still alive, I'm sure we could have been good friends.

​Regardless... I was jealous of what she just said.

​"So you worked hard, lost weight, and became beautiful, Tsubaki-san."

​"Hm? Yeah, I guess..."

​"I'm jealous... Because of my ability, my body never changes..."

​Immortality meant that no matter what kind of fatal wound I suffered, my body would revert to its original state.

​Conversely, that meant my physical form was entirely incapable of change.

​In other words, I would never gain weight, but I would also never lose weight.

​No matter how hard I tried, I could never become like Tsubaki-san...

​"So immortality comes with that kind of baggage too, huh. ...Wait, so you're saying that packed figure of yours is going to stay like that forever..."

​Placing a thumb and index finger on her chin, Tsubaki-san peered at my face with deep fascination.

​Was calling my figure packed supposed to be a compliment or not...?

​We continued chatting idly as we soaked in the hot spring.

​"...By the way, are you really not going to show your face at your parents' house?"

​Originally, Tsubaki-san came to this town to visit her family.

​She ended up tagging along with us, but what did she plan to do after this?

​"...Honestly, I'm dreading it. Things are super heavy and awkward at my parents' place right now."

​"Is that because of... your sister?"

​"Yeah. My little sister... Hime was always way, way more loved by our parents than I was."

​I didn't know the exact details of their family dynamic, but... with Hime-san having passed away in the autumn, it wasn't hard to imagine the heavy, mourning atmosphere lingering over the household.

​I could certainly understand why it would be hard to go back.

​...However...

​From what she was telling me, it didn't sound like her family actually hated each other.

​It wasn't my place to act high and mighty, but I felt that letting her complicated feelings about Hime-san fester like this wouldn't be good for Tsubaki-san either.

​"...I understand how you feel, but I think you should avoid using Hime-san as a reason not to see them."

​I lifted my downcast eyes and looked straight into hers.

​"If something happens and you're never able to see them again, you'll both regret it. And I think Hime-san would be sad too."

​"............Yeah, I guess you're right."

​Tsubaki-san met my gaze and narrowed her eyes affectionately.

​I had said something incredibly clichรฉ and out of line, but it seemed she understood my intent.

​"It's not like I actually hate my family or anything, so I'll go show my face. Thanks."

​"I think that's for the best... Ah."

​The exact moment I felt relieved that Tsubaki-san had accepted my words... my stomach let out a monstrous wail.

Gwooo-gogogogogogo-gururururu. Between the exhaustion of the journey and the relaxing effects of the hot spring, it produced a booming sound much louder than usual, like the rumbling of a volcanic eruption.

​"W-Whoa..."

​The sheer volume of it actually made Tsubaki-san recoil slightly.

​Not only had I completely ruined a perfectly good moment, but having someone hear my stomach roar like that filled me with a burning, blush-inducing embarrassment.

​"I-I'm... getting a little hungry..."

​December 20th, Same Time - Tennai Haruma

​A bead of sweat ran down my cheek and dropped into the bath water, creating small ripples.

​"Phew..."

​Submerged up to my shoulders, I let out a deep sigh.

​...I wonder if Reidou is okay. When I heard she accidentally went into the mixed bath, I panicked and rented it out privately, but...

​Obviously, I couldn't go into the bath while Reidou was in there, so I left that to Tsubaki-san and came to the men's bath instead.

​Though I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if I had gone in and come face-to-face with a naked Reidou...

​Wait, no, no, no. I violently shook my head to clear away those sinful thoughts.

​There were several different tubs in the open-air bath area. The one I was in was completely empty, so I had it all to myself.

​The piping hot water warmed me to the core, while the freezing December wind cooled my cheeks.

​Man, I could stay in here forever.

​Just then... as I was lounging around, I saw a figure walking toward me.

​An unfamiliar man approached the tub I was in.

​"Excuse me..."

​He was a tall, lanky older man with a scruffy, two-tone black and white beard... That was my first impression, anyway.

​His hair was long, giving him the vibe of a hermit who had abandoned society. After giving me a brief nod, he slowly sank into the water.

​"............"

​Even though we were in the same tub, we were complete strangers. There was no real reason to strike up a conversation.

​Thinking that, I kept my eyes focused on the sky and the walls... but suddenly, the man turned toward me and muttered under his breath.

​"Women..."

​"Huh?"

​"Walking around... with women in tow. Must be nice."

Uhh...

​Though spoken in a low murmur, the words were clearly meant as a criticism.

​Did this guy see me walking around with Reidou and Tsubaki-san?

​I suppose it might look that way since I was hanging out with two women, but I definitely didn't need to hear that from a total stranger.

​...Regardless, it sure was a day for getting talked to by weird older men. Just earlier, when I was wandering around looking for the basement, that guy in the Vivant shirt cornered me.

​"Smartphone..."

​"Excuse me?"

​His voice was so quiet I could barely catch it, making me reflexively lean in closer.

​"Kids these days, always on their smartphones..."

​"R-Right..."

​"If you're going to play on your smartphone, you really ought to answer your calls..."

​...Seriously, what is his deal? That last part made absolutely zero sense.

​The atmosphere had gotten way too awkward, so I hastily climbed out of the bath and left the area.

​The mysterious man with the two-tone beard remained soaking in the water even after I left.

​"Welcome back."

​When I returned to our room, Reidou was sitting on the sofa watching TV.

​She must have changed after her bath, as her hair was tied up and she was wearing a yukata.

​...This is... very good.

​Her pale skin, flushed from the hot spring, and the elegant nape of her neck were striking. Since she wasn't wearing her usual tights, seeing her bare legs felt incredibly fresh.

​As I bashfully stole a glance at the TV, I saw a broadcast of the National Diet session playing.

​"Oh, it's Habo-san."

​I wondered why she was watching a Diet broadcast, but it was because Habo was on screen.

​—Hamo Ryoko was the current Minister of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries. We had met her once before at the racetrack.

​She had been off-duty at the time, dressed in a school uniform with green hair, acting like a total eccentric who ended all her sentences with "bamo"...

​But the Habo currently on TV was a beautiful, dignified minister with pristine black hair, wearing a sharp suit. The contrast was staggering.

​Standing at the podium, Habo cleared her throat and looked down at her manuscript as she spoke.

​"Our nation's agriculture, forestry, and fisheries industries are facing a complex web of challenges, including an aging workforce, skyrocketing material costs, and changes to the production environment brought on by climate change. The government intends to carefully listen to the voices on the ground while steadily advancing support to establish sustainable agricultural management."

​Habo then went on to list specific, detailed countermeasures tailored to the actual situation on the ground, explaining them thoroughly.

​Having delivered her flawless explanation, Habo raised her eyes from her manuscript.

​"Stably supplying safe and secure food to our citizens is one of the government's most vital duties. We will continue to devote our utmost efforts to fulfilling this responsibility."

​Concluding her statement, she bowed deeply.

​Sparse applause broke out from the ruling party seats in the assembly hall.

​She was saying incredibly sensible things. It was hard to believe she was the same person we met at the racetrack. I guess she really is a minister...

​With Habo's answer finished, the chairman monotonously called the name of the next questioner.

​The opposition party member stood up and tapped the microphone.

​"The Minister of Agriculture's answer just now was filled with very polite, forward-looking words. However, one must wonder if the situation for farmers on the ground is truly improving."

​Habo's eyebrow twitched for a fraction of a second... but the politician continued undeterred.

​"Amidst soaring prices, the cost of fertilizer and fuel continues to rise, and farmers are abandoning their fields in droves. Meanwhile, the government is pouring massive budgets into new sectors one after another. As a symbolic example of this, I would like to ask about our defense policy... specifically regarding the space sector."

​It seemed the target of the questioning had shifted from Habo to the Minister of Defense.

​Even through the screen, I could feel the tension in the assembly hall spiking.

​"A question for the Minister of Defense. The government recently announced a technological partnership with NASA."

​NASA, the agency responsible for American space development.

​Now that he mentioned it, I remembered seeing the news about their technological partnership with Japan.

​"You have explained that this is for peaceful purposes, and that no offensive applications are intended. However, you yourself must recognize that outer space is a new domain of national security."

​The opposition member paused, staring squarely at the Minister of Defense.

​"Is this not a de facto expansion of military involvement in space? And why is it necessary to funnel our limited national budget into this sector? I demand a clear explanation that the citizens can understand."

​In response, the Minister of Defense slowly stood up and approached the podium.

​The murmurs in the hall died down as everyone waited for his answer, and the red lights on the cameras flared to life in unison.

​The slightly chubby Minister of Defense had lowered brows and was sweating profusely, looking utterly devoid of confidence.

​Normally, I'd tune out such a complicated broadcast... but slightly curious to see how this would play out, Reidou and I found ourselves glued to the screen.

​Taking a long beat, the Defense Minister quietly began to speak.

​"Er, allow me to answer. Our nation has recently reached an agreement with the National Aeronautics and Space Administration... NASA, regarding a framework for technological cooperation in outer space... um..."

​The minister was stuttering, clearly panicking as he struggled to string his words together.

​Just watching him made me anxious.

​Suddenly, a man in a suit swiftly approached the minister's side. He whispered something into the minister's ear and handed him a stack of documents.

​Accepting them, the minister began reading directly off the papers.

​"Er, this cooperation is dedicated exclusively to peaceful purposes, primarily focusing on the sharing of technical expertise in areas such as the safe operation of artificial satellites and the enhancement of our disaster response capabilities. Uh, well... it is not intended for offensive applications, and there are absolutely no issues in light of our constitution or the fundamental principles of our nation's defense policy, yes."

​The man at his side handed the minister yet another document.

​It really felt like he was only managing to string together an answer thanks to the heavy life support from his aide.

​"In modern society, weather observation, disaster prediction, logistics, telecommunications, and even agriculture—many of these heavily rely on satellite infrastructure. In other words, stability in space development is the foundation that supports not just the cities, but also the rural areas and the front lines of our primary industries. We believe this technological cooperation is an investment that protects this foundation, and ultimately supports the safety and sustainability of our agriculture and local communities."

​The minister looked up from the script, casting a fleeting glance toward the opposition benches before adding one short final sentence.

​"That is all, yes."

​...I got completely sucked in wondering how the Defense Minister was going to handle that question.

​In the end, he only got through it thanks to the support of the guy standing next to him... but watching that left something snagging in the back of my mind.

​That man in the suit who handed the documents to the Defense Minister.

​I felt like I had seen him somewhere before... but I couldn't think of anyone I'd met recently who fit the bill.

​If he was a bureaucrat, I could easily figure out who he was with a quick search, but since I didn't even know his job title, there was no way to look him up right now.

​With the Diet broadcast over, I decided to take a breather and sat down on the sofa across from Reidou.

​Sinking into a sofa after a hot bath was the absolute best feeling.

​"Umm, Haruma-kun..."

​As I melted into the cushions and stared at the ceiling, I heard Reidou's voice and looked over. She had her hands clasped together, fidgeting shyly.

​"What's up?"

​"About the hot spring... thank you. You rented it out privately to save me, didn't you?"

​"Oh, yeah. Don't worry about it."

​When you hear "private rental," it sounds super expensive, but it's actually just an hourly rental, so it really wasn't that pricey. It's a very common plan used by families.

​Not wanting Reidou to feel indebted, I played it off like it was the obvious thing to do.

​"Were you and Tsubaki-san able to relax?"

​"Oh, absolutely. We had a wonderful time. I even invited her to join us for dinner afterward."

​I was just glad Reidou got to have a good time with her friend.

​With a buffet prepared by top-tier chefs waiting for us, she was undoubtedly buzzing with excitement.

​When I told her about my own adventures—getting accosted in the hallways by a weird guy in a navy Vivant shirt, and then in the bath by a dude with a two-tone beard—Reidou just offered a wry smile.

​I pulled my smartphone out of my pocket.

​I checked to see if I had gotten any notifications while I was in the bath, but looking closely, I noticed the battery was almost completely dead.

​"Whoops... my phone's about to die."

​I stood up from the sofa to grab my charging cable.

​Since our bags were in the Japanese-style room, I reached for the fusuma doors at the back of the suite. They slid open smoothly with almost no resistance, which was satisfying in its own right.

​"...Huh?"

​As I went to grab my things, I suddenly noticed something.

​The two futons were pushed perfectly together, without a single millimeter of space between them.

​The futons had already been laid out when we arrived, but I was almost positive there had been a decent gap between them earlier...

​The exact second that thought crossed my mind—

​"...!!"

​Reidou sprinted over from the sofa in complete silence and forcefully slammed the fusuma shut.

​"R-Reidou?"

​While I stood there bewildered by her sudden action, Reidou turned her head away so I couldn't see her expression.

​"...Is something wrong? There was nothing in there, right?"

​"No, I mean, it looked like the futons were pushed together..."

​I bluntly pointed out the truth to a feigning Reidou.

​Instantly, the temperature of Reidou's averted face spiked, practically radiating steam like a boiling kettle.

​"I-I-I-It wa-wasn't... me..."

​Turning bright red and sweating bullets, she told a painfully obvious lie.

​...W-What exactly was she planning to do by pushing the futons together?

Dore...!!

​"Oh, look at the time! We should head to the buffet!"

​"Y-Yeah, it is getting to be that time."

​Reidou tried to awkwardly force a subject change, but honestly, pursuing this line of questioning was just as embarrassing for me, so I happily played along.

​As for the futons... well. Leaving them pushed together was probably fine.

​...What the heck is going to happen tonight?

​"Wow, this is amazing...!"

​The second we moved to the dining hall and saw the buffet spread laid out before us, Reidou clasped her hands together, her eyes sparkling like diamonds.

​There was Japanese, Western, Chinese, Italian, and dishes I couldn't even guess the origin of. Just looking at it all made my heart sing.

​"Heeey, you two over here~!"

​Turning toward the familiar voice, I saw Tsubaki-san waving at us from a four-person table. ...And for some reason, Mito was sitting right next to her.

​I knew they were playing with the kids together earlier, but I never imagined they'd gotten this friendly.

​"Tsubaki-san, is he joining us as well...?"

​When Reidou asked, Tsubaki-san beamed.

​"He wasn't a bad guy, you know! Plus, he seems to be a friend of Tennai-kun's, so I thought, why not?"

​"Yesterday's enemy is today's friend, right, Te-n-na-i?"

​Having secured Tsubaki-san's approval, Mito winked at me while sounding out my name.

U-Ugh, so annoying... Still, it felt wrong to just shoot him down here.

​Mito was an ex-member of the Suruga Group who had kidnapped Miyagawa... He had been a clear-cut enemy of ours, making this a very complicated situation, but Tsubaki-san didn't know those circumstances, so it couldn't be helped.

​Reidou didn't seem to care either, so whatever. I guess it's fine.

​And so, the four of us—myself, Reidou, Tsubaki-san, and Mito—sat around a single table and began our dinner.

​Wasting no time, Reidou piled the dishes high, arranging numerous overflowing plates in front of her.

​She stacked roast beef like a multi-story building, piled pescatore up like Mount Fuji, and lined up sushi tightly packed together like mahjong tiles.

​"Mmm~, buffets are just wonderful♪"

​Seeing Reidou smack her lips at the top-tier chef's cuisine with an expression of unprecedented bliss, Tsubaki-san and Mito were utterly dumbfounded.

​"R-Reidou-san, you're amazing. I gotta eat a ton too so I get my money's worth...!"

​"Hey Kyoudai, your girlfriend is somethin' else. The food's disappearing like it's gettin' sucked up by a vacuum cleaner."

​If she was a vacuum cleaner, today her switch was permanently flipped to "High." She wasn't going to leave a single crumb behind.

​As for Mito, who was sitting next to me... surprisingly, he had carefully arranged each dish into the small compartments of his plate, creating an elegant presentation that looked like it could be served at a high-end restaurant.

​He used his knife and fork to eat with incredible grace.

​His movements were fluid, without a hint of awkwardness. I thought he was just putting on airs because Tsubaki-san was watching, but it seemed this was his genuine, default setting.

​He was unexpectedly meticulous, and frustrating as it was to admit... his table manners were much better than mine...

​Mito noticed my stare.

​"Hm? Somethin' on my face?"

​"...Nothing."

​There was no way I was going to swallow my pride and genuinely compliment his table manners...

​Averting my eyes to play it off, I spotted a familiar face in the distance.

​Showatari Tsubasa-san. The woman who had given me a fortune reading in the lobby when we first arrived.

​She was still wearing her black one-piece dress and white lace veil, exuding an aura of mystery.

​Much like Mito, she had arranged her plate beautifully and was eating with slow, deliberate grace. That definitely fit her image.

​The crisscrossed tape she wore over her mouth to indicate she couldn't speak had been removed, revealing a beautiful mouth.

​And the man sitting directly across from her, sharing the meal...

​That was the Vivant guy who had spoken to me while I was searching for the basement.

​A mysterious individual with a broad, athletic build and the handsome face of an actor, but the mannerisms and speech of an old man.

​So those two knew each other. I couldn't hear what they were saying from here, but the Vivant guy seemed to be talking animatedly to Showatari-san.

​Since both the Vivant guy and Showatari-san were incredibly good-looking, simply sitting together painted a rather picturesque scene... I thought.

​Having finished the food on my plate, I stood up to go grab some more.

​As I did, I nearly ran into a group of waiters frantically rushing fresh platters of food to the line.

​"Hurry, hurry! If you dawdle, the guests are gonna be left standing around staring at empty plates!"

​"Did a group of competitive eaters show up?! The kitchen can't keep up!"

​...The hotel staff sure are working hard.

After finishing our meal, we made our way back to the room.

​"Haaa... I'm completely satisfied..."

​Reidou let out a contented sigh as she plopped down heavily onto the room's sofa.

​The all-you-can-eat buffet was a terrifyingly perfect match for Reidou; left to her own devices, she looked ready to eat an inexhaustible amount of food.

​Fortunately, the hotel's supply was fully prepared for the onslaught, so we managed to avoid a situation where there was no food left for the other guests. I really had to hand it to them—a definite 'good job.'

​"Hot springs and good food, the true essence of traveling..."

​"We came here to investigate the circumstances surrounding your father's death. You haven't forgotten, right...?"

​"I-I haven't forgotten."

​It was fine that she was enjoying herself, but still.

​Besides, the probability that we wouldn't be able to investigate the basement at all was starting to look pretty high...

​I explained to Reidou that I hadn't been able to find anything out about the basement.

​"It seems he's out today, but... if asking the manager later doesn't work out, there might be nothing left for us to investigate."

​"That's true. Considering a hotel like this has already been built over the site, I figured it would be difficult..."

​"If that happens, we'll just have to look into it using a different method."

​I had come all this way thinking I should investigate it myself first, but if that proved impossible, we'd have to resort to plan B.

​I needed to keep that secondary method in mind, but for now, all we could do was wait until we were able to speak with the manager.

​Just as our conversation about the basement came to a natural pause, the sound of someone knocking echoed from the room's door.

​"Reidou-saaan, let me in~"

​It was Tsubaki-san's voice. Reidou was sitting on the sofa, and since I was closer to the entrance, I went to open the door.

​"Yoo-hoo, Tennai-kun. I brought these, thought we could drink together."

​"These, you mean..."

​Tsubaki-san was dangling a plastic shopping bag from her hand.

​I could only faintly see the contents inside, but the overall vibe gave me a pretty good idea of what they were.

​"I'm a minor, you know."

​"I brought some juice properly for you, Tennai-kun! Reidou-san and I are having alcohol!"

​"Eh...?"

​Leaving Tsubaki-san aside, Reidou too...? Oh, right. Her physical age was twenty-four, so she was legally an adult.

​More fundamentally, she was immortal; consuming alcohol wouldn't harm her health in the slightest.

​The fact that there were absolutely no legal or health issues with Reidou drinking alcohol was something I hadn't even considered, simply because I didn't drink myself...

​I invited Tsubaki-san inside, and she held the plastic bag up for Reidou to see in the same manner.

​"Wow, you went and bought all this for us? Thank you very much."

​Taking a seat next to a grateful Reidou, Tsubaki-san began spreading the contents of the bag across the table.

​"I bought a whole bunch of different stuff, so drink whatever you like~ Oh, and I brought snacks too!"

​Besides the juice meant for me, there was beer, chu-hi, canned cocktails, and the like. Reidou picked one of them up, staring intently at the label.

​"Have you ever had alcohol before, Reidou?"

​Reidou answered my question with a nod.

​"A few times, yes. Back when I was at the orphanage, with the staff... or rather, the servants. It was only a tiny amount, though."

​She usually insisted on acting like a sixteen-year-old, but I suppose she still partook in the privileges reserved for adult women... Well, not that it mattered.

​...I couldn't help but wonder what Reidou was like when she was drunk.

​"Here we go, here we go, aaand there."

​Spotting the glasses set in the corner of the room, Tsubaki-san swiftly poured a beer for herself and a chu-hi for Reidou.

​I poured ginger ale into my own glass and hoisted it up.

​"Well then, cheeeers!"

​Prompted by Tsubaki-san's cheerful call, we clinked our glasses together with a sharp clink.

​"Ah... This is delicious. It has a lovely aroma and such a clear, refreshing flavor."

​After taking a small sip of her chu-hi and confirming it was to her liking, Reidou began gulping it down.

​"Nnnnngh—the best!"

​Tsubaki-san downed her beer in one go, letting out an exhilarating shout with foam still clinging to her lips.

​...They were both really savoring it. Was alcohol really that delicious?

​I took small sips of my ginger ale and snacked on the beef jerky laid out on the table. Even without booze, the snacks were genuinely tasty.

​Reidou stared fixedly at the beer Tsubaki-san was holding.

​"I've never had beer before... Is it good?"

​"Oh? You wanna try some, Reidou-san?"

​"If I may..."

​Tsubaki-san offered her the glass, and Reidou accepted it.

​She tilted the glass just a fraction and took a small swallow.

​"Uuuuuhhhh..."

​Reidou's expression immediately soured into a grimace. It seemed it wasn't quite to her taste.

​"It's rather bitter. I wouldn't exactly call it deli—"

​Hearing this, Tsubaki-san wagged her index finger back and forth like a metronome with a tsk, tsk, tsk.

​"That's just 'cause you only took a tiny sip~ Try drinking it more like, glug, glug, really letting your throat ring! Then you'll get it."

​"Glug glug, is it...? Understood."

​Reidou nodded and brought the glass to her lips once more.

​What Tsubaki-san meant was, essentially, to chug it down all at once.

​...Was that really safe? Growing worried, I called out before Reidou could drink.

​"H-Hey, you probably shouldn't push yourself too hard, right?"

​"An amount like this won't make me drunk, so it's perfectly fine."

​Saying that, Reidou tilted the glass back sharply and downed the beer.

​Exactly as instructed, glug, glug... I could see her throat working in tandem with her swallowing.

​It was an incredibly hearty display of drinking, almost like watching a television commercial.

​"............!"

​After her throat bobbed a few times, Reidou's eyes flew wide open, as if she had suddenly realized something.

​She pulled the glass away from her lips and started to return it to the table... only to immediately bring it right back and start drinking again.

​In the end, she drained the glass completely dry. Wiping her mouth, Reidou's eyes sparkled.

​"I-It feels like... this is delicious!"

​"Heh heh heh, looks like you understand now."

​Tsubaki-san nodded, crossing her arms in deep satisfaction.

​...I didn't quite get it, but maybe it was the kind of sensation where you only experienced the pleasure by throwing a lot of it down your throat, rather than taking small sips?

​Seeing Reidou drink it so deliciously made me a little curious to taste it for myself, but... I'd just have to endure it until I was an adult.

​Maybe this was how the appeal of beer infected people.

​"Alcohol is quite profound, isn't it?"

​Tsubaki-san hyped up the awestruck Reidou even further by pouring more beer into her empty glass.

​"Yeeeah, I'm gonna keep 'em coming too~!"

​The night deepened, and alongside the alcohol, we lost ourselves in idle chatter (though I was just drinking juice).

​Grabbing another piece of jerky, I asked Tsubaki-san a question.

​"Come to think of it, where are you working these days, Tsubaki-san?"

​I had only seen it once myself, but Tsubaki-san used to work at a clothing store inside a shopping mall. However, that entire location should have been completely destroyed in the explosion.

​"Right now I'm doing part-time at a street-level shop in the city~ ...Maybe I should pick out some clothes for you next time, Tennai-kun."

​Tsubaki-san's eyes glinted sharply, looking me up and down as if she were appraising merchandise. She really loved clothes, didn't she?

​"Hehe. I will bring him along next time, then."

​Saying that, Reidou tipped her glass back and emptied it. Perhaps because she had awakened to the deliciousness of beer, her drinking pace was getting faster and faster.

​After chatting about this and that for a while longer, Reidou's word count gradually began to drop.

​Her eyes were glazed over, blinking sluggishly every now and then. Her cheeks were tinted a much deeper shade of red than usual. ...She was making an expression I rarely saw on her. It was kind of cute.

​Cute, yes, but she was completely, thoroughly intoxicated.

​"Reidou, you okay?"

​"Oh my~ Are you drunk?"

​Tsubaki-san and I both called out to her, but she didn't react, her gaze fixed entirely on a single point on the wall.

​This was hitting her pretty hard...

​I glanced over at Tsubaki-san, who gave an exaggerated shrug in response. Tsubaki-san had been drinking just as much as Reidou, but she still seemed perfectly fine.

​Reidou sat there blankly with droopy eyes for a while, but then she suddenly snapped her head to the side.

​Right in her line of sight was Tsubaki-san, sitting directly beside her.

​"Aika-san..."

​"Y-Yes, I'm Aika."

​Reidou abruptly called Tsubaki-san by her first name, then firmly grabbed both of her shoulders.

​Caught off guard, Tsubaki-san's shoulders gave a startled jerk.

​Because Reidou had grabbed her straight on, the two of them were now positioned entirely face-to-face.

​Pulling Tsubaki-san in closer, Reidou leaned her own face in and...

Smooch. She pressed her lips directly against Tsubaki-san's cheek.

​"H-Eeeeh!?"

​At the sudden physical contact, Tsubaki-san let out a wildly uncharacteristic, high-pitched squeak.

​"S-She k-kissed me...!"

​"R-Reidou!? What's wrong with you!?"


​Her face burning bright red, Tsubaki-san shot me a look of pure bewilderment.

​But this was my first time seeing Reidou like this too, so I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

​"Aika-shaaan... nn~~~♡"

​"W-W-Waaah~!"

​Reidou forcefully pushed Tsubaki-san down onto the sofa, straddling her as she brought her face close once again.

​She cupped both of Tsubaki-san's cheeks with her hands. This time, she was clearly aiming for the lips.

​This meant, in other words...

​"When Reidou gets drunk, she turns into a kissing fiend...!"

​It was a shocking revelation.

​There had been times when my life was in imminent danger where she had planted a "wasted" kiss on me, but... this level of aggressive affection was on an entirely different scale.

​Good grief, alcohol truly was a terrifying thing.

​"W-Why don't you do this to Tennai-kun instead of me!?"

​No, Tsubaki-san, we can't do that. If she kisses me, time will rewind...

​"I do it with Haruma-kun all the time, so... nn~~~♡"

​"Oh, is that right. Wow."

​No, we do not do it all the time... I don't think we do, anyway!

​"Wait, Reidou-sa—nnnmm...!"

​W-Whoooa...!

​As if to silence Tsubaki-san's protests, Reidou firmly pressed her lips against hers.

​...Was it really okay for me to be watching this?

​"~~~~!!"

​Reidou must have been holding on with an iron grip, because no matter how much Tsubaki-san flailed and struggled, she couldn't escape.

​And so, Reidou, fully transformed into a kissing fiend, completely ignored my existence and aggressively macked on Tsubaki-san.

​...The sight of two beautiful women in yukatas tangling together was intensely immoral. Left entirely to my own devices, all I could do was sip my ginger ale and watch.

​Eventually, as if someone had abruptly pulled her power cord, Reidou passed out with lightning speed.

​Her shoulders heaving as she caught her breath, Tsubaki-san looked down at the peacefully sleeping Reidou.

​"T-That was intense..."

​"Good work out there," I offered in sympathy, handing Tsubaki-san a glass filled with alcohol.

​Because Reidou had been suctioned onto her, Tsubaki-san was covered in hickeys all over her face. It looked like something straight out of a gag manga.

​Utterly exhausted, Tsubaki-san didn't even have the energy to care that her yukata had come completely undone, leaving her slender shoulders and underwear straps exposed. I hurriedly averted my eyes.

​Reidou was in such a deep sleep that shaking her didn't even cause a stir, so I decided to carry her to her futon.

​When I scooped her up in a princess carry, Tsubaki-san teasingly whistled at us.

​Naturally, because she had been so absorbed in her kissing spree, Reidou's yukata had also fallen wide open in a spectacular fashion, exposing her shoulders and cleavage. I had to consciously force myself not to look, which made carrying her incredibly difficult.

​It was rare for Reidou to expose such a defenseless side of herself. Was this, too, the demonic allure of alcohol?

​...Maybe next time I should share an evening drink with her just the two of us...

​Harboring such wicked thoughts, I laid Reidou down on the futon in the Japanese-style room and slid the fusuma doors shut.

​Back in the Western-style room we had just vacated, Tsubaki-san was slumped limply on the floor.

​Hey now, did the alcohol finally catch up with her too...? Wondering if she had fallen asleep as well, I heard the soft, cute sounds of her breathing.

​I couldn't just leave her sitting on the hard floor like this, so I picked Tsubaki-san up to carry her to the sofa.

​...She's incredibly light. Tsubaki-san. She really is slender.

​Reidou had mentioned it before too, but she truly was a beautiful woman.

​With her face brought so close to mine as I carried her, that thought crossed my mind once again.

​...Just as I was thinking that while gazing at her sleeping face, Tsubaki-san's closed eyes suddenly snapped wide open.

​"Eh, fweh!?"

​Whether she was startled by the fact that she had been scooped up while asleep, or because we made direct eye contact at point-blank range the moment she woke up... Tsubaki-san let out a weird, panicked noise.

​The next instant... my body was blasted backward, as if repelled by some unseen force.

​Separated from my arms, Tsubaki-san dropped onto the sofa, while I lost my balance and fell hard on my rear.

​This was Tsubaki-san's ability...!

​"A-Ah... Sorry, Tennai-kun. Are you okay?"

​"I'm perfectly fine, but it definitely surprised me."

​...So that's what it looked like when Tsubaki-san's ability activated.

​I stood up from the floor and took a seat on the sofa.

​Having plopped onto the cushions, Tsubaki-san readjusted her posture and stared blankly up at the ceiling.

​"My first kiss got stolen by Reidou-san... Her lips, sure, but her whole body was as soft as mochi, man... Reidou-san..."

​While I wholeheartedly agreed with her assessment of Reidou's softness, I wasn't entirely sure how to respond to the whole 'first kiss' thing.

​"Ah... So that was your first kiss, then."

​"Hehehe, my lips are protected by my ability, you see~"

​Tsubaki-san's ability... a barrier-like power that kept all external threats and hostility at bay.

​She was literally a woman with an ironclad guard. If some weird guy tried to approach her, they'd end up blasted away just like I had been a moment ago.

​"The fact that Reidou went that wild just means she really trusts you, Tsubaki-san..."

​Saying that, I tilted the liquor bottle. Seeing this, Tsubaki-san brought her glass closer.

​"Oh~? You say the sweetest things."

​I poured the clear, medicinal-smelling liquid into her glass.

​...Seeing Reidou interacting so happily with a friend like this made me feel genuinely glad.

​There was Tsubaki-san, of course, but she was also good friends with Ashihara, Miyagawa, and even Mitaka.

​The things she had experienced before meeting me, and the incidents she had faced since transferring to Aosaki High School... Reidou had been through so many ordeals that words like 'painful' or 'unfortunate' felt entirely too mild to describe them.

​As an immortal, Reidou's physical body could never be harmed. But her mind was constantly being worn down. That was exactly why, standing beside her, I wanted her to find even the smallest sliver of happiness.

​"That reminds me... hey, Tennai-kun."

​"?"

​Hearing my name, I lifted the mouth of the tilted bottle and looked at Tsubaki-san.

​With a flushed face from the alcohol, she narrowed her eyes and stared intently at me.

​Resting her thumb and index finger against her chin, she seemed to be mulling something over.

​"Your ability rewinds time when you kiss someone, right?"

​"Yeah, but..."

​Tsubaki-san and I had discussed each other's abilities on the way to the hotel.

​Having it explained out loud like that again reminded me just how embarrassing of an ability it really was.

​Continuing, Tsubaki-san asked me a question.

​"When exactly did you become able to use it?"

​"Back in middle school."

​"I see~ Then, that means..."

​Staring at the ripples forming in the liquid I had just poured, Tsubaki-san asked the question with casual ease.

​"Does that mean you kissed someone back then?"

​At those unexpected words, my hand froze.

​".............................."

​Unable to form a reply, I simply fell into complete silence.

​Here in this fourth-floor room, not even the chirping of insects could reach us.

​The only sounds were the ticking of the clock's hands, and the faint breathing of Reidou sleeping beyond the fusuma doors.

​I just... froze, incapable of doing anything but remaining silent.

​"...Ah, I..."

​Realizing she had committed a massive blunder, Tsubaki-san hurriedly set her glass down and pressed her hands together in apology toward me.

​"I'm sorry! I was drunk and just blurted out whatever popped into my head... I am so sorry!"

​She had probably just made the association from the topic of her own first kiss; she certainly hadn't asked out of malice or a desire to be mean. Tsubaki-san was apologizing with absolute sincerity.

​"It's fine, you don't need to worry about it. ...It just caught me off guard for a second."

​The atmosphere remained awkward after that, and we decided to call it a night.

​As we were cleaning up the empty bottles and snack wrappers, Tsubaki-san's complexion started to pale.

​"Ugh, I think I might've drank a little too much... I feel like I'm gonna throw up..."

​She groaned in pain, clutching her mouth. I really hoped she wouldn't end up throwing up somewhere inside the hotel...

​Finished cleaning, Tsubaki-san stood near the doorway and gave me a weak wave of her hand.

​"Urp... Well then, goodnight. Let's all eat the breakfast buffet together tomorrow."

​"I'll let Reidou know. Goodnight."

​With unsteady, wobbling steps, Tsubaki-san left the room.

​Glancing at the clock, I saw it was already midnight. It had gotten pretty late.

​I wondered if I should walk Tsubaki-san back to her room... but the awkward air lingering from her previous question held my feet in place.

​...My reaction back then really hadn't been good. Tsubaki-san hadn't done anything wrong.

​Thinking I should head to bed myself, I walked into the bedroom, where Reidou was squirming restlessly.

​She seemed to be asleep, but the alcohol had completely ruined her sleeping posture.

​Hugging the duvet tightly to her chest, she muttered softly in her sleep.

​"Nnn~~~, Haruma-kun, you caaan't."

​Hearing my own name made my heart skip a beat. Was I appearing in her dreams...?

​"Not the stomaaach..."

​First my name, now her stomach? Just what kind of dream was she having?

​"Nnya... I said no touching the stomach, Haruma-kuun..."

​...The dream version of me was way too persistent!

​Was I forcefully groping her stomach in her dream? If that was the kind of image I projected in her subconscious, I'd honestly be a little hurt.

​"S-Slender? Thank you very much..."

​And it was a dream completely convenient for her, to boot!

​Since Reidou didn't seem likely to wake up, I just laid down next to her and went to sleep normally.

​With a dead-drunk Reidou lying right next to me with her yukata entirely undone, I felt a fair bit of agonizing internal conflict... but I was suitably exhausted, and before I knew it, I had fallen fast asleep.

​The next morning.

​I woke up, feeling the sunlight leaking in through the curtains.

​Reidou was sleeping comfortably, still deep in the realm of dreams. Well, she was always bad at mornings, after all.

​I stepped out of the bedroom and threw open the window curtains.

​A dazzling view spread out before me, the mountain greenery illuminated brilliantly by the sun.

​Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery.

​Slipping on some sandals, I stepped out onto the balcony. It was a little chilly, but feeling the crisp morning air—so different from the usual—filled me with a refreshing sense of clarity.

​...Traveling really was great. I kept telling myself we were here strictly for an investigation, but at the end of the day, fun things were just fun.

​After lightly stretching my body while bathing in the morning sun, I returned to the room. The fusuma doors to the bedroom slowly slid open.

​With sleep-heavy eyes, Reidou groggily padded out, rubbing her face.

​"Nnn, g'mornin'..."

​"Morning."

​Her words were slurred from just waking up, exactly like usual.

​Thanks to the effects of her immortality ability, it seemed she hadn't gotten a hangover.

​"............"

​With sleepy eyes, Reidou stared silently and intently at my face.

​"What's wrong?"

​"............I fell asleep............"

​Those were the words she quietly muttered.

​"Yeah, you were out cold."

​She had gotten dead drunk and slept soundly through the night without waking up even once.

​Her cheeks flushing, Reidou tucked a strand of hair behind her ear in a gesture meant to hide her embarrassment.

​"Even though... it was finally a night away on a trip, and all..."

​...W-What exactly did she mean by that?

​Now that she mentioned it, Reidou had pushed our futons together last night, too...

​If I read too deeply into this, I was going to end up embarrassing myself.

​Placing a hand on the back of my head, I offered a reassuring reply.

​"We're staying here tonight too, so as long as you don't drink like you did yesterday, you'll be fine... right?"

​"Y-You're right. Well then, next time..."

​Reidou fidgeted as she spoke, repeatedly pressing her index fingers together and clasping her hands in front of her chest.

​She acted like she was throwing a roundabout breaking ball, only to come at me with a completely straightforward, direct attitude.

​Honestly, it was so incredibly adorable I thought I was going to lose my mind.

​Next time... just what exactly are you planning to do, Dore...!?

​—Putting that aside, we finished getting ready and decided to head down for breakfast.

​We planned to meet up with Tsubaki-san at the buffet again today. I just hoped she didn't have a hangover...

​Taking the elevator down, we made our way toward the dining hall.

​Besides us, there were a few other people sparsely walking toward breakfast as well.

​Walking beside me, Reidou clenched her fists as if making a firm resolution.

​"I will fully indulge myself again today...!"

​"Keep it in moderation."

​If Reidou went all out first thing in the morning, the hotel staff were going to have a rough time...

​Suddenly, I noticed the murmurs of a growing commotion coming from up ahead. It wasn't coming from the direction of the dining hall.

​Following the sound of the voices, we found a crowd of people gathered in the center of the floor.

​What was going on...?

​It seemed people were flocking around the hotel's famous centerpiece—the massive cylindrical aquarium that pierced vertically through the building's floors.

​"Is there some kind of event taking place?" Reidou asked, but the atmosphere didn't feel cheerful or festive at all.

​"No... I wonder what it is."

​The people surrounding the aquarium seemed bewildered... or perhaps even terrified.

​...I had a bad feeling about this. A terrible premonition, like static electricity crawling up my spine.

​Reidou and I pushed our way through the crowd gathered around the glass, making our way to the front.

​When we finally reached the very front row where we could see inside the tank, a hotel staff member tried to stop us from getting any closer.

​—But the moment I saw what was inside that aquarium, the staff member's voice completely faded from my ears.

​Before my eyes stretched the beautiful blue water of the tank.

​And floating upside down inside that water... was a person.

​Distinctive red hair swayed gently in the currents, and gem-like eyes peeked out from slightly parted lids.

​Bobbing lazily as fish swam around her. For a fleeting second, I thought the sight was almost magical.

​Looking at the figure, Reidou murmured.

​"Tsubaki... san...?"

Previous Chapter None
Next Chapter None

Comments

Post a Comment