Reincarnated as the Mastermind of the Story Volume 2 Chapter 5
Chapter 5 An unexpected reunion
Ren was traveling on horseback along the highway, having taken a long-overdue trip far from the town of Clausel.
His objective was to visit the neighboring villages that Lishia had mentioned—a duty of the Clausel barony.
The expedition had come to fruition because Ren had directly appealed to accompany them to Lazard that night.
(It's already past noon.)
They had left Clausel early in the morning, and more than six hours had passed since then.
The scenery around them had changed drastically, now consisting of vast plains stretching on both sides of the highway.
It was a tranquil sight.
Merchants had tied their horses to the roadside, and adventurers were resting on the ground nearby.
Following their lead, the Clausel party decided to tether their horses and take a break.
Ren dismounted his horse and asked,
"You've ended up getting attached to me, huh? Are you sure about that?"
The horse let out a short, contented neigh in response.
This was the same horse that Ren and Lishia had ridden during their escape.
It had originally been one of the pair pulling Yelquq's carriage.
"Looks like you've been accepted as its master."
Lishia said as she approached with a smile.
"I'm happy about that, but… doesn't it have any loyalty to Yelquq?"
"I doubt it. Apparently, it started lounging around at our estate right from the start."
"Huh… is that so?"
"Yeah. It’s that man we’re talking about, after all. He probably wasn’t very kind to it. Yun, who takes care of the feeding, told me that its coat became noticeably shinier after arriving at our place."
That seemed to confirm Lishia's assumption—the horse hadn't been well cared for before.
Feeling sympathetic, Ren stroked its neck.
The horse let out another pleased snort.
"This one's like Wiess’s horse—it has monster blood in it. It'll grow much bigger."
"Wait, does that mean it's still a foal?"
"Of course. Look at Wiess’s horse. It should grow at least as big as that one."
Urged by Lishia, Ren turned his gaze to Wiess’s steed.
Its powerful limbs were intimidating, and it was noticeably larger than the horses the other knights rode.
That said, Ren’s horse wasn't lacking in potential either.
Its dark chestnut coat gleamed like fine silk, and though still young, its sturdy frame promised an impressive future.
"Horses with monster blood stay in their prime longer and live longer lives."
"Then we’ll be together for a long time."
"That’s right. So make sure to give it a name."
Lazard had already told him the horse was his, so there was no issue.
The two continued their conversation as they rested, but it was soon interrupted by Yun, who had accompanied them as Lishia’s attendant.
"Milady, Sir Wiess is calling for you."
After Lishia stepped away, Yun turned to Ren.
"Ren, may I have a word?"
Her tone was quieter than usual, almost like a whisper.
"I've heard that you'll be staying in Clausel for the time being."
"Yeah, I plan to."
"I'm glad. The young lady was quite happy when she heard. She even shared her excitement with me, saying you might attend the party."
"…Party?"
"Yes. As others may have mentioned before, it’s Milady’s birthday party."
"…Oh."
Now that she mentioned it, Lishia’s birthday was in summer.
Since July was already nearing its end, the party would be held next month.
"I'll prepare a gift as soon as we return to Clausel."
Speaking of gifts, he had just recently given her a white dress.
She had looked even more adorable in it than he had expected.
…That aside, he needed to come up with another present.
(I should start thinking about it now.)
As Ren nodded to himself, Yun watched him with a quiet smile.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
They arrived at the knights' residence in the village, their destination for the day.
Unlike the burned-down Ashton estate, this residence was brand new, with a clean and well-maintained interior.
That evening, after borrowing a guest room, Ren was visited by Lishia.
Having finished her discussions with the knight overseeing the village, she had come to spend some time with him.
She led him to the table in the room and spread out a rolled-up parchment she had brought.
It was a map of the Clausel territory.
"We’re here in this village. Tomorrow, we’ll be heading down this road."
Lishia ran her finger along the map, tracing their route for Ren.
"This is… the Baldor Mountain Range?"
"Yep. The same Baldor Mountain Range we passed near before."
She was referring to their escape from Yelquq’s clutches when they had fled toward Clausel.
Realizing they would be traveling so close to the mountain range, Ren stiffened slightly.
(Well… as long as Ignat hasn’t done anything, it shouldn’t be dangerous.)
Under normal circumstances, the Baldor Mountain Range wasn’t particularly hazardous.
He had already confirmed this before.
The monsters there were, at best, F-rank—nothing to worry about.
However, according to the legend of the Seven Heroes, Marquis Ignat had once driven the Baldor Mountain Range into chaos as part of his plan to destroy the Leomel Empire.
To accomplish this, he had used a certain monster’s magic stone.
—The Crimson Dragon Asval.
A dragon that once made the Baldor Mountains its domain in ancient times.
Asvar was an ancient dragon that had lived for hundreds of years, possessing such great wisdom that it could even understand human speech.
It was said to be proud and combative, always seeking strong opponents.
However, one day, Asval fell into the hands of the Demon King and lost its sanity.
While waiting for challengers to arrive, Asval was reduced to nothing more than a rampaging beast, until it was ultimately slain by the Seven Heroes.
Its remains fell into a volcano that once existed in the Baldor Mountains, where they gradually dissolved over time.
The volcano’s internal environment changed due to the influence of Asvar’s remains, eventually becoming dormant.
However, the dragon’s magic stone alone remained intact, lying deep within the mountain’s depths.
(Ignat must have obtained information about that magic stone and used the lingering power of the Demon King to revitalize the surrounding area.)
The monsters inhabiting the Baldor Mountains grew stronger.
As a result, what was once a relatively safe region where only F-rank or, at most, E-rank monsters appeared quickly transformed into a dangerous zone.
"I despise everything."
The final battle of The Legend of the Seven Heroes I played out in Ren’s mind.
Before the gaping crater of the dormant volcano in the Baldor Mountains, Marquis Ignat spoke to the protagonist’s party.
"I have devoted my life to my homeland, only to be denied even a single moment of mercy and to lose Fiona."
Before him, the descendants of the Seven Heroes readied their weapons.
When the protagonist attempted to reason with him, Ignat scoffed and spread his arms like wings, continuing his speech.
"If Leomel refuses to acknowledge me, then I refuse to acknowledge you. I deny everything you stand for."
Ulysses Ignat wielded both sword and magic as he stood in the protagonist’s way.
Meanwhile, the ritual to resurrect Asvar continued, heightening the players’ sense of urgency.
"…Very well. I will grant you the same fate as that Third Prince."
As the battle progressed, Asvar’s resurrection grew closer.
Tension mounted as both the protagonist’s party and Ignat refused to yield, each striving for their own goals—one to protect Leomel, the other to destroy it.
Eventually—
"Fi…ona… Was I… mistaken…?"
Just before Asvar could be fully resurrected, the mighty Ulysses Ignat finally fell.
However, the ritual had advanced too far to be halted.
Yet the protagonist refused to give up, awakening the very power that proved their lineage as the descendant of the Hero Ruin.
At the last moment before Asvar’s complete revival, the mighty red dragon was once again forced into slumber.
As Ren was lost in thought—
"Why did you suddenly go quiet?"
Lishia shook his shoulder.
When he looked at her, he saw her cheeks puffed up in a pout.
"Ah—sorry, I was just thinking."
"…I don’t mind, but I’m also curious about what you were about to say earlier."
"Uh… I was just thinking about that report Lord Lazard received. The one that said this winter might be extremely cold. If that’s the case, the snow could be a real problem."
Lishia laughed, not suspecting anything.
"You’re thinking too far ahead."
"Oh, speaking of which, since you seem interested in the Baldor Mountains, do you want to take a slight detour and check them out? There’s nothing to worry about this time of year."
Lishia assumed Ren would agree immediately.
"Let’s not."
Her eyes widened in surprise.
"Really? Normally, you’d be all for it, saying, ‘Absolutely, let’s go!’"
"Well… I think it’s better to avoid the Baldor Mountains. Even if the monsters aren’t a threat, getting lost would be a real problem."
Even if Ignat’s daughter had survived and wasn’t attempting to rebel, Ren still had no desire to go out of his way to visit the area.
(A wise man avoids danger—or was it ‘does not approach it’? Not that I’m a wise man, but if I go there and something happens, I’d rather not deal with it.)
Of course, if there were a compelling reason, it would be a different story.
If someone needed rescuing, for instance.
If it were for his family, or for Lishia, he might reconsider.
Just before he was called to dinner, something suddenly occurred to Ren.
(Wasn’t there a hidden map in the Baldor Mountains?)
It was a secret location accessible through a concealed entrance, filled with treasure chests containing valuable exchange items and special equipment.
Additionally, it was the guaranteed spawn point of the Steel-Eating Gargoyle.
In other words, it was a place where he could conveniently strengthen his Magic Sword of the Shield.
(But even so… the Baldor Mountains…?)
Hesitating, Ren couldn’t find an immediate answer and decided to put the matter on hold.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
The next village they visited was one that Ren and Lishia had unknowingly passed through during their escape.
By this point, the scenery was indistinguishable from the countryside where Ren had been born.
The Baldor Mountains loomed nearby, visible even from the village.
"Lord Weiss, there’s something I’d like to discuss."
The knight overseeing the village wore a slightly troubled expression.
According to him, for the past few days, the river near the village had been losing water, and as a result, the number of fish had also declined.
"This morning, I went upstream to check the situation. I found several fallen trees blocking the water flow."
"Was there bad weather recently?"
"A few days ago, we were hit by strong rain and wind. It’s likely that the storm caused the trees to fall and block the river."
The knight in charge of the village had tried to remove the fallen trees with the help of some young villagers, but they were too heavy to move.
That’s why he had come to ask for Wiess’s assistance, along with the other knights.
However, both Wiess and the knights were busy. They had just arrived in the village, and there were already numerous tasks that needed their attention.
At that moment, Ren spoke up.
"If you’d like, I can go take care of it. I think I can handle some fallen trees. And from what I’ve heard, there’s no need to worry about monsters."
"Indeed. Even if some appear, they’ll be nothing more than the kind you’d find in the Eastern Forest."
The knight in charge of the village offered to guide Ren to the location, but he politely declined.
"How long does it take to walk there?"
"For an adult, about two hours. But… are you sure you’ll be alright on your own?"
The knight’s concern was understandable.
Ren was still a boy, and it was hard to believe that he could accomplish what they had failed to do.
Under normal circumstances, at least.
"Have no fear! This young man is none other than Ren Ashton himself!"
"W-What?! You mean the hero from the rumors?! My deepest apologies for doubting you!"
(So embarrassing…)
"With that said, there’s no need to worry. Though, if it takes two hours on foot, wouldn’t it be faster on horseback?"
"It would, but the heavy rain and strong winds from the other day have left the path in poor condition. It’s not suitable for horses."
That meant Ren would need time to reach the location.
Still, his physical abilities far surpassed those of an average adult, so it wasn’t much of a concern.
Wiess seemed to share the same thoughts, as he showed no particular signs of worry.
"Alright, I’ll head there right away."
"I understand. I’ll guide you to the road leading upstream."
Even as he prepared to depart, the village knight still looked apologetic.
When he saw Ren off, he even bowed deeply in gratitude.
◇ ◇ ◇ ◇
Ren traveled along the muddy path for over an hour.
As he had been told, the road was difficult to walk on due to the scattered patches of soft, wet earth.
Glancing at the river beside him, he wondered if he was getting close.
Sure enough, a short while later, he spotted the blockage.
One of the river’s tributaries, which fed into the stream flowing through the village, was completely clogged with fallen trees.
Between the logs, he could hear water trickling through the narrow gaps.
Several fish, likely stranded as a result of the reduced water flow, flopped on the ground nearby.
"I should bring these back on my way home."
The villagers relied on the fish as a vital food source—he didn’t want them to go to waste.
Surveying the scene, Ren sighed.
"Guess I better start moving them."
He stepped closer to the river and began clearing the fallen trees one by one.
At one point, water splashed onto his clothes, making him grimace.
Regretting his carelessness, he muttered to himself—
"You know, I think it’d be easier if you just used nature magic."
Hearing a voice nearby, he turned his head.
Standing there was the robed woman he had spoken to at the guild the other day.
As always, her voice sounded artificially altered.
"Why are you here?"
"That’s my line. I could’ve sworn you were in Clausel, and now here you are, playing in the river."
"I have my reasons. And for the record, I’m not playing in the water."
It was a proper job, after all.
Still, standing there soaking wet, he didn’t exactly look convincing.
The woman, seemingly amused by his situation, chuckled softly.
Raising a hand, she twirled her fingers through the air.
"Can’t have you catching a cold, now."
In the blink of an eye, Ren’s clothes were dry.
Not only that, but they were spotless—completely free of dirt and grime.
"What was that?"
"Heh heh heh… What you just witnessed was a magic spell that cleans clothes! Amazing, right? Right?"
Ren wasn’t buying it.
Clearly, it wasn’t some niche spell designed solely for laundry.
Still, he had never heard of a spell that could be used in such a way.
Of course, in The Legend of the Seven Heroes, there was no need for cleaning magic, so it had no practical use.
(Does that mean there are other household spells I don’t know about?)
The unexpected discovery piqued his interest, and he found himself smiling slightly.
"Anyway, why are you here?"
"I’m working. Despite how suspicious this outfit looks, my job is actually quite serious."
"I see…"
Ren neither confirmed nor denied that she looked suspicious.
(So she knows she looks shady. But why would someone in a serious line of work need to disguise themselves?)
Keeping his guard up, he tilted his head slightly.
However, the robed woman offered no further explanation.
Her voice remained altered, and the deep hood she wore concealed her face entirely—aside from her mouth.
Oddly enough, Ren couldn’t seem to make out any other facial features.
(That robe… Does it have some kind of concealment effect?)
Unable to find an answer, he fell silent, waiting for her to continue.
Just then—
"…Bruuuh."
A noise rang out.
Ren and the woman turned in unison.
A short distance away, partially obscured by fallen logs and trees, several monsters were watching them.
Ren recognized them immediately—Little Boars.
(Been a while since I’ve seen those.)
"The storm probably destroyed their usual feeding grounds, leaving them without food," the woman noted.
"That does seem likely."
As soon as Ren finished speaking, she moved in front of him.
She had positioned herself protectively, as if shielding him from danger.
But before she could fully step forward, Ren was already a step ahead.
Taking a defensive stance, he unsheathed his Iron Magic Sword.
Seeing this, the woman blinked in surprise.
"W-Wait, why are you standing in front of me?"
"Well, I need to fight them, don’t I?"
Keeping his eyes on the Little Boars, Ren answered without turning around.
"That’s not what I meant! I mean, why are you acting like you’re protecting me?!"
"I'm literally trying to protect you, so of course I would."
"Huh...?"
Even though the woman was undeniably suspicious, Ren's body had moved on its own.
It was probably a habit he had developed from spending time with Lishia.
That, and the idea of being protected by a complete stranger didn’t sit well with him.
He wasn't entirely comfortable turning his back on her, so he quickly set about eliminating the Little Boars.
From behind him, the woman continued murmuring in surprise.
"...I guess you really are that so-called hero."
Her muttering didn't reach Ren's ears, and within moments, he had taken down the leaping Little Boars.
Turning to the woman, he asked,
"Did you say something?"
"Yeah. I said you're adorable."
"...I have no idea what you mean by that."
"If I told you, would you come with me to the imperial capital?"
"No. Absolutely not."
"Sigh... What a shame."
The robed woman sighed in genuine disappointment and started walking away.
As she passed him, she casually purified the splattered blood on Ren's clothes.
"I have to go now. My schedule is packed, but thanks to you, I had a bit of fun."
She spoke as if it were a farewell.
"Wait! I still have—!"
There was still so much he wanted to ask her.
She had hinted at his abilities back at the Adventurers' Guild, and she had done so again just now.
But just as his hand was about to reach her shoulder—
"I have to head to the Baldor Mountains now, so see you later!"
A warm wind suddenly swept between them, forcing Ren to shield his eyes for a brief moment.
By the time he reopened them, the woman was gone.
Even the fallen trees he had been working on clearing had mysteriously disappeared.
Ren stood in place, contemplating the enigmatic woman.
Her various uses of magic.
The way she referred to herself.
Now that he had spoken with her again, he also recognized the friendly, almost affectionate way she spoke.
Considering all that, Ren could only think of one person.
"...No way. It couldn’t be her, could it?"
But he found it hard to believe.
Someone like her being out in a remote village like this?
The thought that crossed his mind was of none other than Chronoa Highland, the headmistress of the Imperial Officer Academy.
Yet, no matter how he looked at it, it seemed unlikely.
She was an incredibly busy person—there was no reason for her to be here.
Upon returning to the village, Ren decided to inform Lishia about the woman he had met upstream.
Hearing that Ren had first encountered an unknown woman at the Adventurers' Guild and then run into her again at the river, Lishia and Wiess began to deliberate.
Since the woman had revealed herself to Ren directly, it was unlikely she had been following them.
That meant this wasn't the same kind of incident as the attack on the Ashton family’s village.
Even so, given that it hadn't been long since the events of early spring, both Lishia and Wiess agreed to be cautious.
"As a precaution, we should cut our trip short and return to Clausel," Lishia decided.
——.

Thanks
ReplyDelete